Re: Jews Receiving Non-Religious "Seasonal" Party Favors

kgold

Oct 30, 2005, 9:52:05 AM10/30/05

"Avi Jacobson" <av...@pacbell.net> writes:

> Specifically, a poster (presumably Christian) will be holding a baby
> shower around Christmas time, and was considering giving away "Seasonal"
> (but non-religious) party favors such as tree decoration balls. She
> wondered whether Jewish guests at her party would be offended by this.

I wouldn't be horribly offended.

However, assuming the poster knew in advance that I was Jewish, I
think it reflects negatively on the giver. Either

- the poster didn't understand that Jews don't celebrate Christmas, or
- the post knew that the tree decoration was inappropriate and didn't care.

But a baby shower is not the time to make a scene. Take the gift,
bring it to the thrift shop, and move on.

--
Ken Goldman kg...@watson.ibm.com 914-784-7646

This post reflects the author's opinion; the moderators' opinions may differ.
Posters seeking medical or halachic information should consult competent
authorities in those fields.

ACKs are handled by an autoresponder. Munged From:/Reply-To: means no ACKs.
Use "X-Ack-To: address" to redirect ACKs; it won't show up in the final post.
Use "X-Ack-To: none" to suppress Acks. "X-Ack-To:" goes on a line by itself.
--
This forum discusses issues specific to childrearing in a Jewish context.
Submissions: scjp-...@scjp.jewish-usenet.org ** NEW ADDRESS **