Merrick Garland nominated to the USSCourt

mm

Mar 16, 2016, 11:44:35 AM3/16/16
Merrick Garland nominated to the USSCourt. The name didnt' sound
Jewish to me, he didn't look especially Jewish, and I wouldn't have
expected a 4th Jew to be nominated, but in the 2nd or 4th sentence of
his words, he referred to his grandparents leaving "the pale of the
settlement". Even when non-Jews talk about the same place, I don't
think they use the same terms. In fact, I'll bet most non-Jews have
either never heard of it or don't even know where it is.

A great bio, as told by Pres. Obama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland
Garland and his wife, Lynn, have been married since 1987. Lynn
Garland's grandfather, Samuel Irving Rosenman, was a justice of the
New York Supreme Court (a trial-level court of general jurisdiction)**
and a special counsel to Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S.
Truman.[4] He has two daughters, Becky and Jessica; both are graduates
of Yale University.[29]

Garland is a resident of Bethesda, Maryland.

**IN NYS, it's confusing, but the Supreme Court is the lowest court,
other than traffic court, small claims court, landlord-tenant court,
etc.

malcolm...@btinternet.com

Mar 16, 2016, 5:38:30 PM3/16/16
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 3:44:35 PM UTC, mm wrote:
> Merrick Garland nominated to the USSCourt. The name didnt' sound
> Jewish to me, he didn't look especially Jewish, and I wouldn't have
> expected a 4th Jew to be nominated, but in the 2nd or 4th sentence of
> his words, he referred to his grandparents leaving "the pale of the
> settlement". Even when non-Jews talk about the same place, I don't
> think they use the same terms. In fact, I'll bet most non-Jews have
> either never heard of it or don't even know where it is.

The Pope Adrian IV (Adrian Longshanks) who was English, gave Ireland
to the English crown. No other Englishman has ever been allowed to
be Pope after that.
However the Irish didn't agree, so the English carved out a little
territory round Dublin where everything was nice and orderly and
peaceful, whilst Irish warlords still in pre-Roman style dress
roamed about the rest of Ireland.

The little English enclave was called "The Pale", and "beyond the
Pale" entered common speech as a term for unacceptable, barbaric,
unmannered affairs.

mm

Mar 17, 2016, 2:54:54 AM3/17/16
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 21:45:56 +0000 (UTC),
malcolm...@btinternet.com wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 3:44:35 PM UTC, mm wrote:
>> Merrick Garland nominated to the USSCourt. The name didnt' sound
>> Jewish to me, he didn't look especially Jewish, and I wouldn't have
>> expected a 4th Jew to be nominated, but in the 2nd or 4th sentence of
>> his words, he referred to his grandparents leaving "the pale of [xxthexx]
>> settlement". Even when non-Jews talk about the same place, I don't
>> think they use the same terms. In fact, I'll bet most non-Jews have
>> either never heard of it or don't even know where it is.

I heard this afternoon, that in keeping with Mitch McConnell's
position that officials in the last year of their term should not make
important decisions, he has instructed all US Senators in their 6th
year not to vote, in committee or in the whole Senate, on anything
important. Furthermore, he's said that if they do try to vote, their
votes will be ignored.

He's in discussion with Paul Ryan to apply the same rule to the US
House. Since everyone in the US House is in the last year of his
term, this would mean that no one will vote on anything important. Of
course the result will be hard to distingish from the previous 5
years.

A joint committee is to be established which will determine what is
important and what is not, but insiders predict major problems with it
since no House members and only 2/3 of the Senate members will be
allowed to vote.

One would think by now, with the nomination of Merrick Garland and the
two previous appointees to the USSC and everything else the President
has done, that his opponents would admit he's a moderate liberal and
not the communist or radical they claimed he was.

Merrick (whose Hebrew name is probably Meir) will however probably be
confirmed in November when Republicans realize that he's more to their
liking than what Hillary would nominate and that no one knows what
Rump would do.

>The Pope Adrian IV (Adrian Longshanks) who was English, gave Ireland
>to the English crown. No other Englishman has ever been allowed to
>be Pope after that.
>However the Irish didn't agree, so the English carved out a little
>territory round Dublin where everything was nice and orderly and
>peaceful, whilst Irish warlords still in pre-Roman style dress
>roamed about the rest of Ireland.
>
>The little English enclave was called "The Pale", and "beyond the
>Pale" entered common speech as a term for unacceptable, barbaric,
>unmannered affairs.

This is interesting but off-topic. if you think the Irish Pale has
anything to do with the Pale of Settlement, other than the word "pale"
used with the same standard meaning, you might be one of those I was
talking about who never heard of the pale of settlement.

If you think "beyond the pale" has anything to do with the pale of
settlement, you are very far off base.

Fattush

Mar 17, 2016, 9:03:41 AM3/17/16
Oops. I had just started a thread on this; then I saw yours.

http://www.jspacenews.com/obama-nominates-jewish-judge-merrick-garland-supreme-court/

mm

Mar 17, 2016, 12:23:31 PM3/17/16