SodaStream News

Yisroel Markov

Feb 29, 2016, 12:02:18 PM2/29/16
According to Times of Israel:

SodaStream fires last Palestinian workers after permit row

SodaStream, the drinks firm hit by boycott calls two years ago, made
redundant its last Palestinian workers Monday after Israeli
authorities refused to grant them work permits, the company said.

The 74 Palestinian staff, many of whom had worked at the Israeli
company for at least five years, had been caught in a permit battle
between the company and Israeli authorities since SodaStream’s main
factory moved from the West Bank into Israel. [...]

The Israeli company, which manufactures a device for making fizzy
drinks at home, announced in late 2014 it was closing its plant in the
West Bank following a boycott campaign that included targeting
Hollywood actress Scarlett Johansson after she advertised its product.
The plant closed in October 2015, with more than 500 Palestinians made
redundant, the company said.

Full article at
http://www.timesofisrael.com/sodastream-fires-last-palestinian-workers-after-permit-row/

According to Al-Bawaba:

SodaStream lays off last Palestinian workers after Israel refuses
their work permits

SodaStream, the soft drink company hit hard by boycotts two years ago,
laid off its last Palestinian workers on Monday after Israeli
authorities refused to grant their work permits, AFP reported.

The 74 Palestinian members of staff at the Israeli company have been
caught in a permit dispute ever since SodaStream moved its factory
from the occupied West Bank into Israel in late 2014.

Full article at
http://www.albawaba.com/news/sodastream-lays-last-palestinian-workers-after-israel-refuses-their-work-permits-811364
--
Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member
www.reason.com -- for a sober analysis of the world DNRC

Shelly

Feb 29, 2016, 12:10:00 PM2/29/16
First of all, it is a very good product and I have one. I think Israel
is doing the right thing here. From what I have read it is "You (Arabs
in general) boycott us, we will fight back by cutting your jobs."

--
Shelly

Yisroel Markov

Feb 29, 2016, 5:33:34 PM2/29/16
That's kind of funny - back in the 1970s my grandparents had a similar
device, although much more primitive, of course. But it was measured
against the known fact that in the West you could buy water that was
already carbonated, and it wasn't a favorable comparison.

>I think Israel
>is doing the right thing here. From what I have read it is "You (Arabs
>in general) boycott us, we will fight back by cutting your jobs."

Except it wasn't the Arabs so much as European and American BDS, and
the company, from the reports, was anxious to hang onto at least some
of its Arab employees. But yes, in the end BDS succeeded in depriving
some 600 Palestinians of their jobs.

malcolm...@btinternet.com

Feb 29, 2016, 6:40:29 PM2/29/16
On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 10:33:34 PM UTC, Yisroel Markov wrote:

> That's kind of funny - back in the 1970s my grandparents had a similar
> device, although much more primitive, of course. But it was measured
> against the known fact that in the West you could buy water that was
> already carbonated, and it wasn't a favorable comparison.

We had a Soda Stream. But we were given it as a toy, and only rarely
bought the syrups. My parents weren't very keen on carbonated drinks,
what we got was Ribena, orange squash, and lemon and barley water
(my favourite, now vanished from the shelves). Ironically those drinks
contain as much sugar and are as bad for teeth as the mass market
sodas.

mm

Feb 29, 2016, 7:19:20 PM2/29/16
I'm not sure about years. Certainly the teens, 20's, and 30's, maybe
in NYC through the 50's or 60's people, esp. Jews bought carbonated
seltzer in pressurized glass bottles, with a metal valve on the top,
called a syphon, with a tube that curved down, to pneumatically pump
the seltzer into your drink. There were seltzer delivery men who
collected the empties and left full ones, although maybe not to
individual homes unless they were shikker.

And a popular part of burlesque and slapstick acts was one guy chasing
another with the seltzer bottle tipped back far enough that the
seltzer would spray onto the guy being chased.

Somewhere in the 70's in NY I found a couple of these bottles, green
in color, probably years old but still with a little pressure in them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_syphon

OTOH, the cheaper way was to add a tablet to water, like Alka-Seltzer
but without the aspirin and citric acid, or Fizzies without the
flavoring. .

>>I think Israel
>>is doing the right thing here. From what I have read it is "You (Arabs
>>in general) boycott us, we will fight back by cutting your jobs."
>
>Except it wasn't the Arabs so much as European and American BDS, and
>the company, from the reports, was anxious to hang onto at least some
>of its Arab employees. But yes, in the end BDS succeeded in depriving
>some 600 Palestinians of their jobs.

I didnn't know about their success before you posted and I'm very
sorry to hear about it.

The BDS folk have such a high opinion of themselves, I'm sure, and yet
they're wrong about almost everything. I wonder if they'll ever
learn; I wonder what their children will say to them.

Beach Runner

Mar 2, 2016, 12:18:50 AM3/2/16
The Soda Stream people were trying to promote peace and prosperity for
Palestinians. That's more than any Arab government or group is doing for them.