Why don't employers post in this newsgroup?

Murthy Gandikota

Aug 12, 2001, 5:36:25 AM8/12/01
The news items are dull, the posts are by the unemployed... so why not
post jobs from Telugu people. Recently Venkat Nimmalagadda answered my
prayer for a job and gave his contact number 818-324-7211. I could not
call because I am in India (too expensive). But gave my number to call
033-4791857. He did not call. So I am posting for someone's benefit.

Dakshinamurthy
Ask not why I am US/UNemployed in India; give me a job

Dear Sir/Madam:

In the challenging decade of 1990’s I have applied to many jobs
in the USA and received favorable consideration. I am grateful to all
the employers such as United Support Systems in Aston, Pennsylvania
for allowing me to contribute during the Year 2000 Transition and to
the DOT-COM revolution in setting up web sites using HTML-based
web/CGI and languages like Perl.

For people like me who came through a rigorous graduate school
program in the cutting-edge or high-technology areas like AI and were
lucky enough to work as consultants to Fortune 500 companies in
mission critical roles (leading to smooth year 2000 transitionis)
there are few challenges that are worth pursuing in the IT development
and testing jobs. These are the honest reasons why I am applying to
the developer and/or tester IT jobs in the USA:

1) Lived and worked in the United States for 15 (fifteen) years since
1986
2) never worked outside the USA
3) the US Consulate cannot renew my Permanent Residence without proof
of US employment
4) my wife is pursuing an academic career in USA (no paycheck)
5) all of our belongings (car, home, etc.) are in USA
6) I am 38 years old and looking forward to a challenging career in
the USA

In 1998 I applied and received approval from the USINS for permanent
residence under the Extraordinary Ability (EB1) program. There was no
need for labor certification. The USINS did not stipulate particular
employer. I am free to work under any employer. The permanent
residence was stamped on my passport (I-551).

I beg your help in securing a job so I can get my US greencard. I
waited for 15 years to receive my US greencard. During these years I
worked as a student on F1 visa for 5 years and as an employee in the
IT industry on H1B visa. I went through many struggles and hard times,
like any American, but a few more because of not having a green card.
For instance, we have not applied to purchase a house because of the
greencard. I have no interest in changing jobs indiscriminately.

Some employers assumed because of my Ph.D. I would naturally move to
a University setting. I am not running to get any University job. For
instance, Universities will have several non-faculty jobs I can apply
and likely get with a greencard. However, that is not my goal.
Universities funded by public tax payers have also restricted faculty
jobs to late Ph.D.’s like myself. Therefore I am totally
dedicated to the job without any distractions.

I look forward to hearing from you and receiving your kind job offer.

Sincerely,

DAKSHIN MURTHY S.GANDIKOTA
Email: daks...@usa.net

Objective:
To pursue a growth oriented professional career in software
development and testing

Previous or Latest Employment:
Software Engineer in United Support systems USA from January 1992 to
June 2001.

Experience:
Summary

Developed software in C, Shell, AWK on Unix Platforms for IBM,
Niesen, AT&T Bell Labs, Bellcore, Motorola, ATT, Lucent and various
R.B.O.C’s.

During January, 1992 and April, 1999 worked as a consultant with
confidentiality agreements. So project details cannot be revealed.
However, my experience since 5/99 in the United Support Systems of
Aston, PA was in the Unix and C. Worked with the VP and management to
carry on wireless call record processing, maintain makefiles, develop
code for new specifications from Motorola, Lucent, LD, AT&T and other
cellular users, CIBER conversions, maintain library code, etc.

Detailed

1992: KEE consultant for IBM, Neilson in Somers, New York (USA)

Developed a product configuration system with a team from Indotronix
International of Poughkeepsie, New York (USA). The configuration
system used Knowledge Engineering Environment (KEE). AIX operating
system on RS600. Used LISP extensively. System was tested by IBM
testers. Basic inference engine capability. Manager Cindy Newton

1993-94: Unix/Awk consultant for AT&T Bell Labs in Murray Hill, New
Jersey, USA

Researched and developed a comprehensive winback model for the
furthering of AT&T customer (B2B) base. Utilized datamining techniques
to prepare sales targets. Used AWK and UNIX extensively. Simulated
some neural network models to detect patterns in the database. Worked
in a team of several consultants from Horizon Computers in Edison, New
Jersey (USA). Manager Steve Borbash

1994: Makefile/Unix/C consultant for Bellcore in Piscataway, New
Jersey (USA)

Developed Makefile scripts and other shell scripts for maintenance of
development systems comprising C and Informix source files. The system
monitored the Bellcore networks. Manager Jim Fowler

1995: VisualC++ consultant Motorola in Schaumburg, Illinois, USA

Developed a supply chain model with a team consisting of Motorola and
Task Performance Group, Des Plaines, Illionois (USA) employees.
Utilized Visual C++ on Windows 95 and Windows NT. The supply chain
model predicted demand and supply using a mathematical model. The
system was tested and deployed for Fabrication and chip manufacturing
units. Managers: Margaret Eastwood and John Liang.

1996: Unix/C consultant for AT&T in Columbus, Ohio (USA)

Developed code for CTD on HP-UX Datakit for network administration.
The Network Operating Center in Missouri utilized the software to
monitor the call volume and traffic. Interfaced CTD with CAD the
caller-id software systems. Used extensive UNIX and C programming.
Worked with a team of ten from SSIT, Columbus, Ohio Managers Yern Yeh
and Bill Hagler

1997: Unix/C consultant Lucent Technologies in Columbus, Ohio (USA)

Developed code for BillDats on SunOS for administering the landline
switches connecting the calls. The system was tested. The software was
ported to live switches. Data replication techniques were utilized for
24x7 uptime. TCP/IP Worked in a large team of ten members comprising
Roger Beck, Mark Quaglia, Doug Baughman and members from SSIT.

1999-2001: Software engineer,www.ustwo.com or United Support Systems
in Aston, Pennsylvania (USA)

Responsibilities as a software engineer were:
i) to generate reports in real time of wireless/cellular swith usage,
and
ii) mediating using software customer provisioning data.
iii) wireless call record processing
iv) maintaining makefiles, develop code from new specifications for
Motorola, Lucent, LD, AT&T and other cellular users, CIBER
conversions, maintain library code, TCP/IP on SCO Unix, Linux, etc.

Skill Set:

Unix, C, Perl, LINUX, MS-windows 98, MSVC++, MS Office , SQL,
Informix, Oracle. ODBC and MS Office.

Educational Qualification:

B. Tech (Hons)Chemical Engineer I.I.T Kharaghpur 1986
M.S Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA. 1988
Ph.D(Chemical Engineer and Artificial Intelligence) -do- 1991

Date Of Birth : Male, 15th August, 1964.
Citizen : India (PR of USA) worked on H1B visa between
1993-1998. Applied for the US EB-1, extraordinary ability permanent
work visa, independently and received approval in August, 98 . Have
work authorization for permanent residence.