Mail not delivered yet, still trying

1 view

SMTP MAILER

Dec 4, 1993, 5:22:02 PM12/4/93
----Mail status follows----
Have been unable to send your mail to <vreddy@[192.94.164.20]>,
will keep trying for a total of three days.
At that time your mail will be returned.

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 12:47:34 EST
Sender: World Telugu People Network <TEL...@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
From: seetamraju Udaya bhaaskar Sarma <see...@ss0.eng.wayne.edu>
Comments: To: tel...@vm1.nodak.edu
To: Multiple recipients of list TELUGU <TEL...@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

World Electronic telugu Digest Sat, 4 Dec 93 12:47:34 EST Volume 9 : Issue 2

Today's Topics:
LAMP...
World Electronic telugu Digest Vol.9 No.1
"ma'nasa samcararE - manushulu cacca'rulE" - DECOMPOSING CINE SONGS
IMPURE MATHEMATICS !!
Help India's literacy drive ..
Pseudo-linguists
serching for south asians in fine arts
RFD: ALT.COMPANION.JUAREZ %%%% was Re: Why not to start a new news group "Visas-Indians"
APOLOGY FOR MY POST
Baanisatvam............
Chalasani Srinivasa Rao from UMR now at FORD, reply to me!
International PenPal Directory, Update...
companion needed
Inko chinna pareeksha
Looking for Chalasani Srinivasa Rao from UMR now with FORD

Temporarily Punyamurtula Swamy is taking over the day to day sending of
the digest. Contact him, if you have problems in receiving the digests.
email : spu...@galileo.eng.wayne.edu

FOR ALL OTHER HELP PLEASE CONTACT SRI K.V.RAO GAARU @ KV...@ANDY.BGSU.EDU

Please DONT send requests to WRONG addresses.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

PLEASE TAKE CARE TO SEND YOUR SUBSCRIPTION / DELETION
REQUESTS TO list...@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Or equivalently to list...@vm1.nodak.edu
(Note the name is vee-em-one - NOT v-m-eL)

To submit / contribute articles, send article to --> tel...@andy.bgsu.edu

To SUBSCRIBE to the telugu digest : SUBscribe TELUGU Your FULL name
To UN-SUBSCRIBE to the telugu digest : SIGNOFF TELUGU

Just TYPE one of the above 2 lines : DONT write anything ELSE in the email.

=================

** If U find Ur name suddenly deleted from the list by me, its for only one
** reason : viz, your mailbox is full, and the digests sent to U have
** bounced back.
** If U are one of the above cases, simply resubscribe again. And take care to
** to empty your mailbox -DAILY-, if U do NOT have sufficient mailbox
** space. Else ask Ur system administrators for more space.

*** See the "FAQ" for complete information ***

Seetamraju Udaya Bhaskar Sarma
(email : seetam @ ece7 . eng . wayne . edu)

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 23:20:32 GMT
From: me...@ulysses.cs.umn.edu (K. P. S. Menon)
Subject: LAMP...

* ************ *
* LAMP ************ *
* *
* "Now and by the year 2000 A.D. one of every two illiterate people in the *
* world is, and will be, from India". (1989) *
* *
* What an amazing situation! Shocking! Sad! *
* *
* LAMP - Literacy as movement of people. *
* We the people (that is you - i - everyone), as LAMP, began in 1989, *
* determined to eradicate this situation. *
* *
******************** ******************
* The goal is simple. Goal: "100% literacy" in India now, (ASAP), etc. *
* This tiny chapter has literated about 5,000 people to date. *
* ? Would you like to help. *
* *
******************** ******************
* Please E-mail me at me...@cs.umn.edu with your U.S. postal address and *
* language affiliation (if any). i wish to avoid heavy E-mail chatter. *
* i will respond with mail info. within 1 month. If you have an awakening *
* or committed interest on this matter, please write. Your language *
* affiliation is useful --- e.g. TA, HI, ... Can be EN for English. *
* Please provide it. Your phone# too, if you don't mind. *
* *
* Shunkaran: me...@cs.umn.edu *
* *
* End. *

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 1993 17:29:33 -0600
From: ARAV...@ccr2.bbn.com (Aravinda Pillalamarri, BBN Library, 873-2789)
Subject: World Electronic telugu Digest Vol.9 No.1

Editors of telugu digest:

The table of contents for the digest is very helpful to me. When you are
listing items such as roommate wanted, please provide more details, such as
Female roommate wanted in Pittsburgh, Jan '94. Thank you!

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 93 12:21:53 -0500
From: sram...@msuvx1.memst.edu
Subject: "ma'nasa samcararE - manushulu cacca'rulE" - DECOMPOSING CINE SONGS

In article, nl...@cas.org (PALANA) writes:

> of them these days and unfortunately our golden-boy, SP
> Balasubrahmanyam sings that crap (I may be forgiven
> for wounding the feelings of the BalasuFANA.). One of such is

Guruvu Gaaroo,
I am very curious to know who "ACTED" in that movie and in particular who did
the Jackson steps in that song. Those might help me and my association to
see the new movie and send a news letter of STUFANA. After all Stufana is just
established for such purposes. Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 93 12:25:04 -0500
From: sram...@msuvx1.memst.edu
Subject: IMPURE MATHEMATICS !!

Here is the article sent by cousin from CA. Read and enjoy.
>Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 13:04:24 "PST
>From: "I. S. Sarma" <sarma%pdaen...@ics.uci.edu>
>Subject: Impure Mathematix
Impure Mathematix
=================

Wherein it is related how that polygon of womanly virtue, young
Polly Nomial (our heroine) is accosted by that notorious villain
Curly Pi, and factored (oh, horrors!).

Once upon a time (1/t) pretty Polly Nomial was strolling across a
field of vectors when she came to the boundary of a singularly large
matrix. Now Polly was convergent and her mother had made it an
absolute condition that she never enter such an array without her
brackets on. Polly, however, who had changed her variables that
morning and was feeling particularly badly behaved, ignored this
condition on the basis that it was insufficient, and made her way
amongst the complex elements. Rows and columns closed in from all
sides. Tangents approached her surface. She became tensor and tensor.
Quite suddenly, two branches of a hyperbola touched her at a single
point. She oscillated violently, lost all sense of directrix, and
went completely divergent. As she reached a turning point, she
tripped over a square root that was protruding from the erf and
plunged headlong down a steep gradient. When she rounded off once
more, she found herself inverted, apparently alone, in a non-euclidean
space.

She was being watched, however. That smooth operator, Curly Pi,
was lurking innerproduct. As his eyes devoured her curvilinear
coordinates, a singular expression crossed his face. He wondered, was
she still convergent? He decided to integrate improperly at once.

Hearing a common fraction behind her, Polly rotated and saw
Curly Pi approaching with his power series extrapolated. She could
see at once by his degenerate conic and dissipative terms that he was
bent on no good.

"ArcSinh!" she gasped.

"Ho, Ho," he said. "What a symmetric little asymptote you have.
I can see your angles have lots of Secs."
"Oh, Sir," she protested, "keep away from me. I haven't got my
brackets on."

"Calm yourself, my dear," said our suave operator. "your fears
are purely imaginary."

"i, i," she thought. "Perhaps he's not normal, but homologous."

"What order are you?" the brute demanded.

"Seventeen," replied Polly.

Curly leered, "I suppose you've never been operated on."

"Of course not," Polly replied quite properly, "I'm absolutely
convergent!"

"Come, come," said Curly. "Let's off to a decimal place I know
and I'll take you to the limit."

"Never!!" gasped Polly.

"Abscissa!!!" he swore, using the vilest oath he knew. His
patience was gone. Coshing her over the coefficient with a natural
log until she was powerless, Curly removed her discontinuities. He
stared at her significant places, and began smoothing out her points
of inflection. Poor Polly. The algorithmic method was now her only
hope. She felt his hand tending toward her asymptotic limit. Her
convergence would soon be gone forever.

There was no mercy, for Curly was a heavyside operator. Curly's
radius squared itself; Polly's loci quivered. He integrated her by
parts. He integrated her by partial fractions. After he cofactored,
he performed Runge-Cutta on her. The complex beast even went all the
way around and did a coutour integration. Curly went on operating
until he had satisfied her hypothesis. Then, he exponentiated and
became completely orthogonal.

When Polly got home that night, her mother noticed that she was
no longer piecewise continuous, but had been truncated in several
places. But, it was too late to differentiate now. As the months
went by, Polly's denominator increased monotonically. Finally, she
went to L'Hopital and generated a small but pathological function
which left surds all over the place and drove Polly to deviation.

The moral of our sad story is this:

"If you want to keep your expression convergent,
never allow them a single degree of freedom."
--------------------------------------------End--------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 1993 13:18:00 -0600
From: bal...@hadar.fai.com ( )
Subject: Help India's literacy drive ..

For those of you who want to help the literacy effort in India but don't
know how to go about it, there's a non-profit organization in the US called
India Literacy Project (ILP) with numerous chapters all over the country.
ILP currently support literacy movements (both rural and urban) in Bombay,
New Delhi, Poona, Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. They are
also currently evaluating new project proposals in Bihar and Orissa.

If you want to help:
- contact the persons below for more information

- if you know good literacy movements in India that could do with some
more monetary help, please bring it to the attention of ILP

- take an active part in a chapter near you

- you can also receive the monthly newsletter (published by the CA
chapter) by email (post-script or ascii).

100% of the money raised in the US is sent to India to support literacy
projects and all administration costs are borne by volunteers.

If you need more information (or for an ILP chapter near you), you may contact

bal...@hadar.fai.com
ve...@cadence.com

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 1993 13:37:00 -0600
From: s...@cec.wustl.edu (Sundara Pandian)
Subject: Pseudo-linguists

[ Repost of my article from SCT - SP ]

A modern linguistic scholar comments on the trend of
pseudo-linguists in one of his works:

" It is common for the uninitiated to think of a
language as being well represented by an unabridged
dictionary. This view implies that the way to describe
a language is to consider its components to be words.
Any careful or consistent and exhaustive presentation
and definition of the words of a language (which may
be exactly what dictionaries would attempt to do) would,
therefore, from this point of view, be considered a
description of that language..."

Unfortunately, there are more such pseudo-linguistic
postings in the Tamil net..

-SP-

------------------------------

Date: 4 Dec 1993 00:11:00 GMT
From: mmni...@mango.wustl.edu (Madhawa M Nihalsingha )
Subject: serching for south asians in fine arts

Are any of you folks or some one you know involved in/studying fine arts
like sculpture, painting, graphic design,illustration,advertising,
photography, film, etc..? I'd like to get in touch
mathisha

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 07:32:36 GMT
From: td...@ellis.uchicago.edu (theotonio dominic sequeira)
Subject: RFD: ALT.COMPANION.JUAREZ %%%% was Re: Why not to start a new news group "Visas-Indians"

-=NAMASTE=-

kuna...@rex.uokhsc.edu (Kunapuli T. Madhusudhan) writes:

> ... As far as I know, there is no news group in the network
>that deals with this subject matter hence people post to their
>language groups.

CALLING SRIDHAR "CABAL-MAN" VENKATARAMAN ...

PLEASE ISSUE THE FOLLOWING NEWGROUPS:

alt.companion.juarez
alt.companion.juarez.desi
alt.flame.companion.juarez.desi

THANK YOU.

-=om shanti=-
Theo.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Dec 1993 23:34:26 -0500
From: ma...@usceast.cs.scarolina.edu (Subramani Mani)
Subject: APOLOGY FOR MY POST

I am sorry for my post MONEY. I read it
in a newsgroup and thought it funny. I did not intend to offend anybody.
Anyway I apologise to those whom I have offended.

Sincerely

--Subramani Mani

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 05:09:44 GMT
From: ssv...@ucs.usl.edu (Vangala Srinivasa S)
Subject: Baanisatvam............

Hi ! Friends,

First of all, I would like to congratulate Mr. Naga Gollakota on writing a good poem.

But, is it enough to convey pain among ourselves ? Cannot we do something ? I mean real action -

The only way we can change things is by having courage and by being ready to sacrifice. As long as we expect others to start changing things, nothing happens.

There is a christian saying which is very famous in the US - which means - " of what use is it if a man gains everything but loses his soul !"

We need to get back. Even if it means suffering for the time being - other wise nothing is going to change. Let there be a brain bank not a brain drain !

Good Luck !
Vasu.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Dec 1993 08:35:18 GMT
From: pre...@engrs.unl.edu (Prabhakar Vangala)
Subject: Chalasani Srinivasa Rao from UMR now at FORD, reply to me!

Hello Raosaab,
I have been trying to reply to your mail in vain.
It's getting bounced back. I even lost UR phone no. somewhere.
So I thought this post might be of some help if at all U
go through the Telugu net.
If you read this post try to give me some other mail address where I can
reply to.

-Prabhakar

PS: Send UR phone number again.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 08:19:27 GMT
From: aa...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Nash Seifeddine)
Subject: International PenPal Directory, Update...

Dear Friends

The purpose of this message is to give you the chance of having your name listed
in the International PenPal Directory. The directory is being updated right
now, and for limited time you get listed at NO CHARGE.

The purpose of this directory is to bring people from different backgrounds
closer, weather for the purpose of e-mail communication, mail, friendship,
and maybe for some people a relationship, or marriage. The listing will be
used ONLY for the sole purpose of the directory, and WILL NOT be sent to masss
mail marketers.

There will be a small area for people looking for dates or marriage.
if you wish to be listed in that area, please include a code name, and an
additional mailing address for replies if you do not wish your home address
to be published.

The information that will be published are the following:
Name (or Alias if you wish to do so)
Address, including country
Sex
Age
Occupation/major (if in school)
E-mail address , if available (this is optional)
Preference : countries, age group, sexes, subjects and the like. Please specify
Interests:
Language of preference: list 2 please
Phone Number : Used for office purposes, WILL NOT be published

This is a public announcement, and it is done at no profit. It is done to
bring more penpals from different corners of the Globe together.
Please feel free to tell a friend. The age of people accepted is
restricted to 17 years and up.

Please e-mail the address above with your information if you are interested.
After all there is nothing like having friends everywhere.

If you have friends that wish to be listed and have no e mail address please
mail info to:
International PenPal Directory
C/O Info_Tech
4-699 Laverendrye Drive
Gloucester, Ontario, K1J 7X5
Canada

--

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 93 10:06:05 GMT
From: ths...@iitmax.iit.edu (L Ramsundar)
Subject: companion needed

guys,
I am leaving for India on 8th of december by British
airways from chicago at 8.45p.m. If anybody is going
by the same flight and if interested, please contact
me at ths...@iitmax.acc.iit.edu

Regards,
L Ramsundar

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 22:37:12 UTC
From: an5...@anon.penet.fi
Subject: Inko chinna pareeksha

Let me use this opportunity to ask a small question.
scit is a relatively mild and pretty decent group in
the sense that there is little mud throwing. I do not
wish to start something like that on this net. The question
is how come most of the topics of discussion focus on
things like movies (and particularly chiranjeevi). Isn't
it time to grow beyond that and may be also start discussions
on more intriguing topics, say for example about human values,
not jumping into religious or caste wars.

Good luck,

Nischala (just a pen name :-) )

To find out more about the anon service, send mail to he...@anon.penet.fi.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to ad...@anon.penet.fi.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Dec 1993 08:38:39 GMT
From: pre...@engrs.unl.edu (Prabhakar Vangala)
Subject: Looking for Chalasani Srinivasa Rao from UMR now with FORD

Hello Raosaab,
I have been trying to reply to your mail in vain.
It's getting bounced back. I even lost UR phone number somewhere.
So I thought this post might be of some help if at all U
go through the Telugu net.
If you read this post try to give me some other mail address where I can
reply to.

-Prabhakar

PS: send me UR phone number again

------------------------------

End of World Electronic telugu Digest Digest
******************************

SMTP MAILER

Dec 5, 1993, 1:14:58 PM12/5/93
----Mail status follows----
Have been unable to send your mail to <vreddy@[192.94.164.20]>
for one day, will keep trying for another two days.

SMTP MAILER

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1993 22:01:06 EST

Sender: World Telugu People Network <TEL...@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
From: seetamraju Udaya bhaaskar Sarma <see...@ss0.eng.wayne.edu>

Comments: To: tel...@vm1.nodak.edu
To: Multiple recipients of list TELUGU <TEL...@VM1.NoDak.EDU>

World Electronic telugu Digest Sun, 5 Dec 93 22:01:06 EST Volume 9 : Issue 4

Today's Topics:
Srinivas Cherukuri
BAANISATHVAM MANA JANMA HAKKU
Matrimonial (2 msgs)
Vivekananda's Speech in Chicago
**** H-1 Query ************
Tamil children march towards Tamil Eelam
Travel companion needed (2 msgs)
President Clinton's speech
atimukta-meaning
REquest for lyric
How should and atheist raise his/her kids?

"ma'nasa samcararE - manushulu cacca'rulE" - DECOMPOSING CINE SONGS

How should and atheist raise his/her kids?

"ma'nasa samcararE - manushulu cacca'rulE" - DECOMPOSING CINE SONGS

"ma'nasa samcararE " [ reply part III]
"ma'nasa samcararE " [ reply part IV ]
Request for lyrics

=================

Date: 4 Dec 93 18:01:53 GMT
From: v...@cis.ksu.edu (VEDANANDA V V)
Subject: Srinivas Cherukuri

Subject: Srinivas Chirukuri

Recently, the Asian Indian Network has submitted a petition
to the US Attorney General Janet Reno asking the authorities to
reopen the case of Srinivas Chirukuri. Contrary to the
assertion of the coroner that Srinivas' death is an accident,
evidence suggests that it is a homicide. The petition has been
signed by 787 people worldwide. We urge all netters to write/
fax and call the law enforcement authorities, and urge them to
reopen the Chirukuri case for a thorough investigation. Names
and addresses of the authorities, AIN's letter to the Attorney
General, and some facts and discussion about the case can be
obtained from the FTP site of the Asian Indian Network. FTP to
129.97.140.10 (plg.uwaterloo.ca). Login as anonymous, and use
your userID as the password. Then change directory ("cd") to
pub/AIN, and ls. The name of the file is Srinivas.

,__o ,__o ,__o
VEDANANDA V.V. _-\_<, _-\_<, _-\_<,
v...@cis.ksu.edu (*)/'(*) (*)/'(*) (*)/'(*)
(913) 537-8548 =================================

------------------------------

Date: 4 Dec 1993 19:35:11 GMT
From: bal...@pine.circa.ufl.edu
Subject: BAANISATHVAM MANA JANMA HAKKU

Rangu lo emundi
Undi antaa nee burralo

Raitula raktam pindukone
Bhooswamee bharateeyudae
Madhya taragati manavula
Kastam bhuktam chesae
Marwadi bhrateeyudae

Onti rangu maarina
Raktam rangu okkatae
Manushula naizam
Ekkadaina okkatae

Doorapu kondalu
Nunupata
Daggaraitae kanipinchevi
lotupaatlu

Desam lo choosedi
Arachakatvam, Kapatam
Kulam, Matam
Vibhedam, Visham
Daaridyam, Amanushatvam

Appudu Americalo choosedi
Andam, Aanandam
Sukham, Swargam
Dhanam, Dhanyam
TV, VCR

Daggaraitane choostavu
E desa magina
Endu kalidina
Manushulanta Okkatae.

The truth is that the hunted and the hunter are there no matter
where you go. It is upto your capabilities and enthusiasm to
join the group you like.

ravi kiran.

adios

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 21:11:32 UTC
From: an5...@anon.penet.fi
Subject: Matrimonial

I invite correspondence from interested and serious people.
This is a matrimonial for my sister. She is an smart and
good looking girl

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 21:23:16 UTC
From: an5...@anon.penet.fi

Correspondence is invited from genuinely intersted persons for
my sister who is a Masters student in Electronics and Communications
Engineering. She will be 23 soon and is 5'1" tall. She is smart
and good looking with a good sense of humour. Though born into a
Telugu Brahmin family we believe such bars should not keep like
minded people from uniting. We invite responses from either students
or working professionals with an enthusiastic attitude towards life.
Please respond to the address
an5...@anon.penet.fi.

Due to the double blind of this service your reply to me will automatically
be anonymized. It is your choice to let me know your name and address.

Thank you.

Date: 5 Dec 1993 01:36:34 GMT
From: ierm...@engrs.unl.edu (Inampudi Kishore)
Subject: Vivekananda's Speech in Chicago

Hi,
Does anyone have Swami Vivekananda's original (verbatim) speech in Chicago?
If so please mail to the following addresses.

emio9...@engvms.unl.edu
ierm...@engrs.unl.edu

Thanks in advance.

-Red

PS: I have no idea about this but is that speech by any chance available
in the form of an audio cassette. If so please send in the details.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 93 02:40:30 GMT
From: navu...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu ( )
Subject: **** H-1 Query ************

Hi Friends,

Does one need to have P.T , to be in H-1 process ?

I heard some of my friends did n't need P.T to get their H-1.

If u have any clues or ideas or experiences please reply to me

at the following address

navu...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

Thanks in advance.

Siva

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1993 05:53:46 GMT
From: vsnu...@icaen.uiowa.edu (Venkatram Sastri Nukala)
Subject: Tamil children march towards Tamil Eelam

This is in response to the article posted by R. subramaniam. I don't think
that this news group is the appropriate place for the proganda of tamil Eelam.
Moreover, don't try to support the killers of Rajeev Gandhi. Though I
don't support Rajeev gandhi as a primeminister I fully condemn any kind of
patronizing of the killers of the Indian primeminister whoever they are.
I think all Indians should condemn such articles.

venkatram nukala

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1993 02:42:45 GMT
From: sun...@plains.NoDak.edu (Singam Sunder)
Subject: Travel companion needed

Hi,

I'll be driving to San Fransisco, California from Fargo, North Dakota. I
am interested in finding a driving partner. I have got my triptip from
AAA which suggests that I hit Oklahoma City down south before turning west.
I am willing to drive a few extra miles along the way to pick you up.
I have booked a ticket to India from San Fransisco on the 13th of
December and I'm planning to start here (Fargo) on the 7th. The route
that I am going to take is

Fargo to Kansas City - I-29
Kansas City to Lawrence - 335
Lawrence to Emporia - 335
Emporia to Oklahama City - 35
Oklahoma City to Barstow - I-40
Barstow to Bakersfield - 58
Bakersfield till Livermore - I-5
and finally I-580.

I actually prefer taking the I-80 from Omaha all the way to SanFransisco
as this route will be shorter. If you have any other suggestions
regarding the route, we can discuss it.

If the above schedule fits yours and you are in for a long journey, send
me an email.

- Sunder

FYI - Mine is a 5-speed (stick shift) car.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 1993 04:53:18 -0500
From: horne...@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne)

Note follow-ups.

In article <CHJJJ...@ns1.nodak.edu>, sun...@plains.NoDak.edu (Singam Sunder) writes:
<
<I'll be driving to San Fransisco, California from Fargo, North Dakota. I
<am interested in finding a driving partner. I have got my triptip from
<AAA which suggests that I hit Oklahoma City down south before turning west.

Hell, no (unless their idea is to avoid winter weather). I-29 to the
Omaha-Council Bluffs area, then I-80 all the way to San Francisco
(note spelling). Far shorter, even in winter, and probably a hell of
a lot more interesting.

<I am willing to drive a few extra miles along the way to pick you up.
<I have booked a ticket to India from San Fransisco on the 13th of
<December and I'm planning to start here (Fargo) on the 7th.

Even if you go through Oklahoma City, you shouldn't need a whole week
(unless you intend to do some sightseeing).

< Fargo to Kansas City - I-29
< Kansas City to Lawrence - 335
< Lawrence to Emporia - 335

No. Kansas City to Emporia on I-35. Cheaper (no tolls) and probably
faster.

<If the above schedule fits yours and you are in for a long journey, send
<me an email.

I might be interested, if I could get back to the Fargo area within a week
or so.

--Scott

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 93 16:02:58 GMT
From: v...@cis.ksu.edu (VEDANANDA V V)
Subject: President Clinton's speech

Subject: President Clinton's Speech at the UN

President Clinton's speech at the UN General Assembly (on
September 27, 1993) is available at the FTP site of the Asian
Indian Network (AIN). FTP to 129.97.140.10
(plg.uwaterloo.ca). Login as anonymous, and use your userid
as the password. Then change directory ("cd") to /pub/AIN,
and ls.

The name of the file is Clinton.UN.

--
,__o ,__o ,__o
VEDANANDA V.V. _-\_<, _-\_<, _-\_<,

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 1993 11:57:15 -0600
From: sur...@gator.bocaraton.ibm.com (Suresh Kolichala)
Subject: atimukta-meaning

(selv...@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca (C.R.Selvakumar) wrote:)
> In article <rrdokk01....@starbase.spd.louisville.edu>,
> Ramabhadra R. Dokka <rrdo...@draconis.spd.louisville.edu> wrote:
> >1. mukta, referring to mauktikam = mutyamu ( telugu ).
> >2. another meaning is using mukta, ... completely liberated.
> While mukta = pearl is well recognized that Skt got it from dravidian
> ( See R. L. Turner's Indo-Aryan Comparative Dictionary entry No. 10152
> where Turner cites Dravidian etymological dictionary entry No. 4062
> which has tamil word 'muttu'), the word 'mukta' = to set free, liberate
> is not shown to be a dravidian or tamil origin.
> Thus the two distinct meanings you
> say come from the same root sense of 'growing to fullness' and the
> tamil word is 'muRRu > muttu' ( using telugu convention for 't' ).
> The sense of 'growing to fullness' > liberation. ( similarly tamil
> paRRu > patti > bhakti (skt) and the tamil sense of the word
> paRRu is to be attached, to love ; it is said in tamil 'paRRuvatu
> patti, muRRuvatu mutti' = to get attached and love leads to bhakti
> and to grow to fullness leads to liberation ( mutti = liberation ).

I always wondered how people decide that a word "x", in a language, say A,
is derived from another word say "y", in some another language, say B,
Is it just sufficient to show that the word "y" has a closer meaning to
word "x" and there exists some other words in language B, which
seems to be related to the word "y".

Taking the example quoted above, how is it concluded that the word
"mukti (in the meaning of liberated)" of sanskrit is derived from
tamil "mutti" and not the other way round. Is it just because there
is another word "muRRu" in tamil which is related to the word muttu,
can a conclusion made that the word is derived from tamil. What if,
there are words in Sanskrit, closer in sound and meaning to "mukti",
and it seems that the word "mukti" is derived from those words.

BTW, what does the R.L. Turner give the etymology of word "mukti" (in the
meaning of liberated) ? If he did give some, how could that be proven wrong ?

Regards,
Suresh.
--
Suresh Kolichala e-mail: sur...@gator.bocaraton.ibm.com
IBM, Boca Raton (On assignment with IBM) Phone: (407)-443-6585

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1993 18:28:58 GMT

From: ssv...@ucs.usl.edu (Vangala Srinivasa S)

Subject: REquest for lyric

Could some one please give us the lyric for the following
song ?

Film : Pellikaanuka

Singer : Jikki (or leela)

Pallavi: Pulakinchani madi pulakinchuu
Vinipinchani katha vinipinchuu.....

Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1993 18:51:36 GMT
From: ch...@berlioz.nsc.com (Chakradher Reddy)
Subject: How should and atheist raise his/her kids?

Hi,

I hear that it is tough for Indians (or more appropriately, non-Christian
aliens) to raise kids without confusing them about their origins, identity
and how they should respond/react to local festivities/rituals/religious
activities. And, I can see that it'll be even tougher if the parents are
atheists (and may be the toughest if one of the parents is an athiest).

I would like to hear your thoughts on how an atheist can raise kids without
confusing them. Please direct all your mail to:

ch...@lightning.nsc.com

I'll summarize the responses in about two weeks. If you feel like continuing
this thread on the net, please cross-post to soc.culture.indian.telugu

Ciao,
Chakradher

P.S.: If you think this question will get more meaningful responses in a
different newsgroup, I would like to know the name of that newsgroup.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 1993 15:11:12 -0600
From: sur...@gator.bocaraton.ibm.com (Suresh Kolichala)

(palana expresses his concern about the look-alikes of traditional songs)
> ultimately destroying the pieces of
> CLASSICAL LYRICS, our eternal heritage.
> One of such is the great of the greatest "ma'nasa samcararE".
> ... half-drunk and half brain-dead, may have
> mutilated this great piece, "ma'nasa samcararE". It seems we are
> one and the only society who seldom respect our literary heritage

I think just using the first two words for a cheap song with
a questionable popularity, would not diminish, the
greatness of the great and greatest (gag) song ma'nasa sanchararE'.

I am sure, the song you quoted is a not a parody to the `gag'
ma'nasa sanchararE', in the sense that it does not follow the same tune
of the original `gag' ma'. sam.

In the past, many songs have have appeared using phrases from
well-known traditional songs, and using for an altered movie
song. None of them diminished the greatness of the original songs,
if not enhanced. Below are the few songs, I remember, belong to
the this class.

Original traditional song Modified song for movie
========================== =====================

1. nanu paalinchaga naDachi nanu paalinchaga naDachi
vaccitivO, naa praaNa naatha vacchitivaa gOpalaa,
(tyAgarAja)

i. Tune: different
ii. Except for the first sentence no other verses from the original are taken.

2. vENu gaana lOluni gana vEyi vENu gaana lOluni gana vEyi
kanulu kaavalelE. kanulu chaalavulE.
(tyAgarAja)

i. Tune: different
ii. Except for the first sentence no other verses from original taken.

3. yadu vamSa sudhaambhuji chandra!raraa - same -

i. Tune same
ii. Initial part is same as original, some part added by vETUri.

4. saamaja vara gamanA saamaja vara gamanA
(tyAgarAja)

i. Tune same
ii. Initial part and 1st charaNa is same as original, charaNas added by vETUri.

5.samayaaniki tagu maaTalaaDenE samayaaniki tagu paata paaDene

i. Tune same
ii. Sounds similar, but all verses are changed by vETUri, using the epilogue.

6. endarO mahaanu bhaavulu endarO mahaanubhavulu
andariiki vandanamulu sundarikE vandanamu

i. Tune different
ii. apart from first sentence, no other verses are from original.

7.enta nErchinaa enta chUsinaa enta nErchinaa enta chUsina
entavaaralainaa kaanta daasulE enta vaaralainaa prEma daasulE

i. Tune same
ii. Original verses and altered versions are sung alternately.

8. dorakunaa iTu vanTi sEva dorakunA iTu vanTi sEva
(tyAgarAja)

i. Tune different
ii. Sentences different.

10. yadu vamSa sudhaambhuji chandraSrI para himsa paarayana chandraSrI
(patnam subramanyayyar)

i. Tune different.
ii. Starts with the traditional, and continues with the parody.

My argument is if a song is greatest, it would remain great
and using one/two words from this song for a cheap song, would not
affect the greatness of `gag' songs.

Regards,
Suresh.
--
Suresh Kolichala e-mail: sur...@gator.bocaraton.ibm.com
IBM, Boca Raton (On assignment with IBM) Phone: (407)-443-6585
anantamaina kAnti dhAra pOsinA
akhanDamai jwalinchaDa prabhAkaruDu nirantaram
-- siitArAma saStri

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1993 21:03:43 GMT
From: ad...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Jai Maharaj)

Chakradher Reddy <ch...@berlioz.nsc.com> requested:

> I would like to hear your thoughts on how an atheist can
> raise kids without confusing them. . . .

A hungry parent can make sure that his or her kids will have food.
Similarly, an atheist can see to it that they have God.
Parents try to give their children what they missed.

Namaste! Jai Maharaj, Vedic Astrologer
--
|_|_|_|_|
jai maharaj |_| |_| mantra corporation

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 1993 15:36:30 -0600
From: sur...@gator.bocaraton.ibm.com (Suresh Kolichala)

While I share the concern palana expressed about the quality of songs
in the movies, I would like to add few comments.

> Every song will have either "muddu" or "debba" with dual meanings.
^^^^
I think writers have long time back realized that it is not worth
putting efforts to write songs with dual meanings, as majority of the
listeners has no time to analyze and decipher to understand 'that particular'
meaning. I think, most of the songs in the recent movies are just
syntactically telugu - using some telugu words and the syntax of telugu to
the tune to the pre-set music - but make little or no sense when one tries
to understand.

About the songs implying "vulgar meaning", most of the songs meant for this
purpose have only one meaning and only 'that' meaning. Also, the writers
have invented easy methods to attract people without putting much efforts
just to use few key-words like in these songs:-

ekku bandekku maava
... peTTeyyi sande siikaTlonaa ...
digu digu digu naaga prEmaa lOtento chUddAma
peLLiki mundu okka saari; choopichavaa pyAr tEri

> The writer probably thinks that
> he adds a pinch of "Srumga'ram" but it turns out to be
> a ton of "bootulu".

I think it is the other way round. Even when the writers wants
to write some "bootulu", sometimes they end up in making it a
`difficult SRngAram' for a common (or casual) listener to understand.

(cont. in another post)

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 1993 15:38:11 -0600
From: sur...@gator.bocaraton.ibm.com (Suresh Kolichala)
Subject: "ma'nasa samcararE " [ reply part III]

> But on one instance, the writers (who think that they are Abhinava Potanas
> or Srinadhas or Arudras) should
^^^^^^^
> Other word: "pamcarulE" Probably it is the altered form
> of "puncture". Oh! What a usage of vocabulary to
> describe the romantic fever that the lovers suffer from!
> I think the modern cine lyric writers have mastered and
> used all the words in Telugu Nighamtuvulu. They are
> tapping other languages like English and Hindi for
> words to describe feelings. Great going!

I object your honour. While I don't find any thing sensible in this
song, I, in principle do not accept to your above statement about using
the words from other languages. One need not use all the words in niGanTuvu
to tap the other language words. You mentioned Arudra above, and I am sure
you very well know that Arudra was the person advocated the usage of the
english words in Telugu literature. He was the person who uses english
words very freely in his books and his songs. To mention few:

1. His popular, twamEvaaham starts with

brain lO bren gun
rain laa AlOchanala train

2. Some other place he uses,

frustration (??) muttaDi nunchi
confusion guppiTi nunchi
... mamu brOchE vaarevaru lEraa ?

The usage of english words and mixing it with the most traditional
phrase of "brOchE vArevaru lEraa" makes it pleasingly surprising.

3. His 'sini vaali' also has lot of english words.

SrISrI also used english words in quite many places in his books
like marO prastAnam, KaDga sRsti, and also in si.pra.li.
It is interesting to see how effectively SrISrI uses english
words in for prAsa in kanda padyas for the siri siri muvva
Satakamu.

There are many movie-songs, (though, I don't remember any right now)
in which Arudra used english words.

BTW, who wrote the following song:-

Come, come, come, kangaaru nii kElanE , Ohoho

kosa merupu
===========

> ma'nasa samcararE
> -----------------
> (manushulu cacca'rulE)
> ----------------------

Why did you tried to mutilate the `gag' using "manushulu cachchaarulE "?
The same weekness might have tempted the writers to use the words.

I really find it so amazing that these lyricists
(esp. I have some respect for vETUri who, I think, is the writer of the
above mentioned altered song of `gag') who have to already written
thousands of duets-songs on the same theme of
"hero and heroine singing about their love", able to still cook-up
something to come up with something new !! (I think this song, except for
the first two words is different from any other song of past).

Regards,
Suresh.

Date: 5 Dec 1993 15:39:58 -0600
From: sur...@gator.bocaraton.ibm.com (Suresh Kolichala)
Subject: "ma'nasa samcararE " [ reply part IV ]

> But on one instance, the writers (who think that they are Abhinava Potanas
> or Srinadhas or Arudras) should
^^^^^^^

Placing Arudra beside pOtana and sriinatha ? I don't think Arudra's
deserves a place like that. Apart from his comprehensive volumes on
complete telugu literature, I do not find any great contributions to
telugu literature from Arudra.

As far as movie songs are considered, I find vETUri (I guess vETUri
is the one who wrote the song "maanasa sanchararE", the topic of this
discussion) way-above Arudra, more prolific and and no less in poetic
excellence, if not superior.

Regards,
Suresh.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 00:25:17 GMT
From: go...@seas.smu.edu (Prasad Golla)
Subject: Request for lyrics

Hi:

Could someone post the lyrics for this great song please.

The movie is Krishna's "alloori SIta'ra'mara'ju". I think the lyrics are by
Sri Sri (?). This song is considered as one of the greatest "nireekshaNa"
songs. The song goes like this.

vasta'Du naa ra'ju ee rOju
ra'ne vasta'Du nelara'ju ee rOju

ka'rtIka punnami vELa lOna