Is Faye Wong's Singing Really That Good ?????????????????????????????

Tyatt Leung

Feb 22, 1994, 7:01:44 PM2/22/94

Hi, everybody, I'm glad that this newsgroup is finally here!

I know a lot of people like Faye and think that she should be the most

pop female singer in Hk. But, do any of you think she's the best? It's just

that she uses a style which no one has used before in HK: she learnt it from

Celine Dion, i can tell, since they have the same hair style now. I've heard

her singing live, and I think she has got off some keys. Personally, I think

Sammi Cheng is good(although her style is kind of funny--the same as Andy Hui)

and Vivian Lai, also.

Any comments are welcome!

-TYATT

Anson Wun

Feb 22, 1994, 8:07:17 PM2/22/94
In article <CLnH...@freenet.carleton.ca>,
Tyatt Leung <ak...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:
>......I know a lot of people like Faye and think that she should be the most

>pop female singer in Hk. But, do any of you think she's the best? It's just
>that she uses a style which no one has used before in HK: she learnt it from
>Celine Dion, i can tell, since they have the same hair style now. I've heard
>her singing live, and I think she has got off some keys. Personally, I think
>Sammi Cheng is good(although her style is kind of funny--the same as Andy Hui)
>and Vivian Lai, also.
> Any comments are welcome!
>
>-TYATT

Finally, there's someone who questions the singing of Faye. C'mon guys,
let's open our ears wide and listen to Faye again carefully and see if
her singing techinque is really *THAT* good (I'm sure, however, that she's got
one the most sexy voices, though :p ).
Does Faye really have Celin Dion's hair style? Which one do you mean?
The "pineapple" one or the "Dragon Ball"? C.Dion's hair on her latest CD looks
fine to me.

Anson

Quach Quy Chi

Feb 22, 1994, 9:14:41 PM2/22/94
aw...@unixg.ubc.ca (Anson Wun) writes:

>Anson

Ok...Faye's singing is not the best, but it is different. Her breathing
is not too great. In the song "Lang Jing" her breathing was most
apparent and did not do to much for the song. I am not trying to compare
her with Tori Amos but Tori's breathing n the song was much better.
Maybe it is beacuse singing in English and Canotnese pose different
problems. But in short...no, Faye does not have the greatest voice, but
she has the charisma and magnetism that people like (atleast I do).

Samuel Hung

Feb 23, 1994, 1:00:26 AM2/23/94
I think her live performance is not that good. If you saw her performance in
the three awards, she was singing badly, especially when she sang "Lau Fay
Fay". I couldn't recall any of her live performance comparable to her quality
in the CD's. Similarly for Sammi, from Chotto 'Dun Dun' onwards, she did not
sing live for up-temper song. I've just saw her performance in a charity
concert in Toronto from TV. 2 of the 3 up-temper songs were recording. The
only live one was 'Ding Dong' and her performance was terrible. I found out
that lot of singers now not to sing live when they are dancing. So, it is
sometimes very difficult to compare their singing technique just from their
CD's.

Samuel

Edward Hui

Feb 23, 1994, 2:43:30 AM2/23/94
^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, I like this one. :)

Edward Hui

Anson Wun

Feb 23, 1994, 3:23:32 AM2/23/94
{to see the news before this one, please read it in SCHK}
The arrangement of the first song "If can't get love" is up to the usual
C.Y.Kong standard (in my opinion anyways). The song "Love Fire" is originally
from a Japanese song sung by Miki Imai called "The Days I Spent with You".
The arrangements from Cass version is quite similar to that of the original
one except the electric guitar solo in the intermezzo is kinda bad (in
Cass's).
The guy who did the arrangement of the original song is the one who composed
the BGM for the Japanese animation "Laputa", "Nausicca", "Totoro", etc..
(he is called Joe Hisaishi and he is a very famous musician in Japan). So, I
mean, the arrangement shouldn't be bad (of course, even Beethoven composed
something not so "up to standard"...). Well, I mean if your Dad is an
ex-musician, it all depends on what kind of musician he is:
Jazz/classical/Blues/Pops.... Even for pop music, different musician have
various opinions on arrangements. Just as it is meaningless to compare Ku
Ka Fai with Anthony Lun Wing Leung: they are from two completely different
worlds :p !
Anyway, the most important thing is that the listener himself feels
comfortable. It's always nice to have diverse opinions, afterall!

Enjoy
Anson
[**************************************]
[ Anson Wun ]
[ email: aw...@unixg.ubc.ca ]
[ University of British Columbia ]
[ Dept. of Sc., Atmospheric Science ]
[**************************************]

Timothy Leung

Feb 23, 1994, 8:58:01 AM2/23/94
No comments on her singing, but her image/hair style is not come
from Celine Dion, it's come from a singer called Bjork, you know
......the one who sings 'play dead'.

YoshikiMakiShizukaB'zAaronFayeFumiyaFujii |
IijimaAiXSylvianAlmondSuedeJamesThisMortal | t1l...@jupiter.scs.ryerson.ca
CoilLesileTatMingShirleySandySofthardCharlie |
AnthenaRieSlamDunkDanceDanceDanceNorweignWood| 'say anything' in the
DaysofBeingWildAnitaYuenLeonTonyLawGeiTracey | 'endless rain'............

Jacqueline F Yeung

Feb 24, 1994, 1:19:14 PM2/24/94
Tyatt Leung (ak...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:

: Hi, everybody, I'm glad that this newsgroup is finally here!

: and Vivian Lai, also.

: Any comments are welcome!

: -TYATT

: --

Well, I have to say, her voice is not the best BUT she is one of the good
ones that I heard. I like her voice and the emotion that she put into the
song. She is really into her song you know. However, I do heard that her
personality is kinda suck so if you want me to judge her of who and what
she is that I have no comment but singing wise I like it. As so many
prople say - she is different. I got a feeling that she will become
really popular as times goes. Let see as time will tell.

J.

Tyatt Leung

Feb 24, 1994, 5:49:22 PM2/24/94

Now, some of my feelings when hearing Faye sings:

1. At the first time, her voice sounds funny.

2. Then, the voice seems fine. But then she's trying to build up a

personity in her song. She's actually imitating the American

singers style. eg. "cold war"(Noun Chin) and "silent thru all these
years.

3. She's proud and thinks that she's so great! Her personality is XX!

4. The only thing is that all her songs have nice melodies.

Any comments welcome!

-Tyatt

KWONG CHUN-KUEN

Feb 24, 1994, 7:02:05 PM2/24/94

>Finally, there's someone who questions the singing of Faye. C'mon guys,
>let's open our ears wide and listen to Faye again carefully and see if
>her singing techinque is really *THAT* good (I'm sure, however, that she's got
>one the most sexy voices, though :p ).
> Does Faye really have Celin Dion's hair style? Which one do you mean?
>The "pineapple" one or the "Dragon Ball"? C.Dion's hair on her latest CD looks
>fine to me.

Theres nothing wrong with Faye's Singing. Its quite good actually.
But its very icy, very cold and very emotionless. Some would argue, but
thats my opinion I guess.

Her hair, and fashion in general is stupid. It takes a little more
than flipping through the latest copy of Vogue(or other fashion magazine)
copy it and be "trend setter".

Anson Wun

Feb 24, 1994, 11:57:16 PM2/24/94
In article <CLr6r...@ecf.toronto.edu>,

KWONG CHUN-KUEN <kw...@ecf.toronto.edu> wrote:

>Theres nothing wrong with Faye's Singing. Its quite good actually.
>But its very icy, very cold and very emotionless. Some would argue, but
>thats my opinion I guess.

I don't mean to argue with you and I am not saying that Faye's singing is not
good. I just mean that she still hasn't mastered some of those important
techniques in singing pop song like breathing, "bite word"(pronounciation),
and the harmony between music and lyrics. If she were a new singer, that's
fine; but after something like 10 albums released already, she should have
shown improvements. But I can't see it; may be I am too critical or biased.
Well anyway, it's good to have diverse opinions, as I always say.
Just a thought :>

Anson
P.S. Actually, I kinda like the way she sings "cold war", and the song
"Rainy Days without You" is one of my all-time favourites too :).

ari...@news.delphi.com

Feb 26, 1994, 10:53:46 PM2/26/94
aw...@unixg.ubc.ca (Anson Wun) writes:

I think Faye only has something like & albums, not 10,I don't think.
Vivian Chow probably has more than her. I persoally think that she is ag
good singer, even though her live performance is not always good, but i
enjoy watching her new hairstyles, and clothing, I think they are really
great. I sometimes, almost always , get tired of seeing singers coming
out the same look every time. I mean, I want entertainment, I can listen
to the cd's if I want the same old thing every time. AS to her singing
techniques and "bite word" (pronunciation), I think that she is fine, and
I even like the way she pronounces the words. I think it's just that her
vernacular is differnt from cantonese, so that she has yet to pronounce
them like a genuine cantonese speaker. I think Sammi Cheng's
pronunciation is worse, the nasal tone and all irritated me so much, I
thought she was readding budhhist materials. She hast the voice, but her
pretend-to-be-foreign pronunciation is just not the way to go. If you
have heard the old songs of Fyae, you probably can notice that she indeed
has improved a lot. Her voice is very uniques, and she has the "shadow"
of Tang-lai-quan. Another thing I notice is that she has a soft voice
when she speaks and her attitude is good, unlike a lot of today's singers
who would speak out loud, and act very insolant on stage. She is not the
best singer, i think Sandy Lam is the best, but she , combined with her
uniques clothing and styles, already is and will be the most popular
singer in HK. Now everyone is trying to have their images changed,
because she is just too competitive. Look at Shirley Kwan(hir cut), and
Sammi Cheng(hair dyed). Oh, BTW, I like every of her song, including her
new song "forgetyou like forget me," very emotionalgood lyrics, and I have
to admit I even cried over that. (no, i am not always depressed, but
just that the song is so good, I can see myself when I am depressed)
oops, I wrote too much.
and oh, welcome schke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"FAye faye, hon siu yue moon tin faye"

Anson Wun

Feb 27, 1994, 1:06:35 AM2/27/94
In article <2kp5ga$i...@news.delphi.com>,
ARI...@DELPHI.COM <ari...@news.delphi.com> wrote:
>[lines before deleted]...

>to the cd's if I want the same old thing every time. AS to her singing
>techniques and "bite word" (pronunciation), I think that she is fine, and
>I even like the way she pronounces the words. I think it's just that her
>vernacular is differnt from cantonese, so that she has yet to pronounce
>them like a genuine cantonese speaker.

Oh well, if you didn't care how singers pronounce, that's fine. But I
wouldn't be happy if I have to look up the CD booklet everytime to see
what she is singing. (ur... not everytime, but the first two/three times
at least...)

>I think Sammi Cheng's
>pronunciation is worse, the nasal tone and all irritated me so much, I
>thought she was readding budhhist materials. She hast the voice, but her
>pretend-to-be-foreign pronunciation is just not the way to go. If you

And the way how Faye handles long notes irritates me too. And talking of
nasal tone, Andy Hui is not much better and everyone is saying his singing
is good.

>of Tang-lai-quan. Another thing I notice is that she has a soft voice
>when she speaks and her attitude is good, unlike a lot of today's singers
>who would speak out loud, and act very insolant on stage.

What I heard is just the reverse. I heard her attitude is pretty bad. May be
it's just rumors. Are there any close friends of her in here wh could
clarify this??. A lot of today's singers act very insolant on stage? Is
that true? Who are "a lot of" them? I'm just curious to know.

>She is not the
>best singer, i think Sandy Lam is the best, but she , combined with her
>uniques clothing and styles, already is and will be the most popular
>singer in HK. Now everyone is trying to have their images changed,
>because she is just too competitive. Look at Shirley Kwan(hir cut), and
>Sammi Cheng(hair dyed). Oh, BTW, I like every of her song, including her

Ok. How to distinguish between "unique" and "wierd"? It's just between
the border line. I would prefer to call it "chut wai" than "unique".
Yeah.... Shirley's and Sammi's do look awful.. Yuk!
Hm.. I agree with you that she sings the new song "forgetting you is like
forgetting me" very well. I like it too.

Anson Wun

Zzzzz.....

Feb 27, 1994, 2:14:24 AM2/27/94
In article <2koluh$l...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Anson Wun <aw...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:

>Sorry to argue again. But I think the popularity of Faye is just a phenomenon.

Oh my, you definitely wrote out my mind! I think Faye isn't a bad singer,
but her popularity is really nothing more then a phenomena.

>Yes, she might be a better singer than Vivan (talking about more
>experience) but I doubt if she sings better than Sally. They are about the
>same; both got beautiful killing voices. However, Faye is still a long way
>from Sandy, Cass and Shiriey (sorry, Faye's fans!).

Oh gosh, I am so touched that I almost can cry *sniff* *sniff* :P
Really, you wrote something that I have been thinking for a long time!!!
Faye has a good voice, but the technique is really long way from that
of Sandy, Cass and Shirley no doubt.

>Yes, and her voice is uncommon, so is anybody else long enough to be in this
>industry (otherwise you will just fall...). And, does "different" mean
>"best"? I doubt it. It's a pity if a so-called artist over-exggerates
>him(her)self just to show (s)he is different from others. I think Faye
>was gambling with her image at first, and she won (with luck or intuition,
>whatever).

I can't agree more. If I didn't know better, I would've thought I wrote
this post up myself when I am unconscious from staying up at night or
something. That's EXACTLY what I think. I mean 100%!!!!

>Again, I have to say sorry to Faye's fans. I am not holding a "hostile"
>attitdue towards Faye, but I just think that people have over-valued her.
>Well, just a thought.

Yes, definitely! Faye is a good singer, but she still got a lot of space
for improvements. It's bothersome to see people praising her as if she's
the singing queen of HK or something. Over-valued, definitely.

No, I don't have anything against Faye, but I really she's not as good as
what people think she is.

--
Sleepy email: sle...@netcom.com

"The man with the proper imagination is able to conceive of any commodity
in such a way that it becomes an object of emotion to him and to those to
whom he imparts his picture, and hence creates desire rather than a mere
feeling of ought." -- Walter Dill Scott

Anson Wun

Feb 27, 1994, 2:40:06 AM2/27/94
<cry>
It's so good to hear support from others, especially from Sleepy.
<cry>
I thought I was biased. But hey, may be not now.
I kinda' hold back before I type the post 'coz I am afraid I will get
tons of flames from Faye's fans. But, who cares. The more discussion on
the issue, the faster the situation will be cleared. I am pretty sure
who ever read these posts about Faye will now listen carefully, baring
our comments in mind. I hope FAye herself could read these posts too!

I am soooooooo touched... <cry>

Anson

--

In article <sleepyCL...@netcom.com>, Zzzzz..... <sle...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Oh gosh, I am so touched that I almost can cry *sniff* *sniff* :P
>Really, you wrote something that I have been thinking for a long time!!!
>Faye has a good voice, but the technique is really long way from that
>of Sandy, Cass and Shirley no doubt.
>

>I can't agree more. If I didn't know better, I would've thought I wrote
>this post up myself when I am unconscious from staying up at night or
>something. That's EXACTLY what I think. I mean 100%!!!!

Anson Wun

Feb 27, 1994, 6:45:58 PM2/27/94
Of course, popularity doesn't mean good singing techniques. But I would
prefer listening and appreciating a singer who has got good techniques
rather than because everybody likes her. Otherwise, I will fall into the
pit of cliche. Many people are claiming that Faye is popular because she
sings very good, and probably the best. I don't think so. I still think
that Faye's popularity is mainly due to her image (unique, wierd, strange,
socially-astonished; whatever you call it) but not her singing. Sure she
does sing good, but so are Sandy, Sally, Cass, Shirley, Jacky, Vivian
(Lai), Anthony (Lun), Lau Mai Guin, Alan, So Wing Hong, Leung Hon Man....
blah blah blah blah. But why aren't all of them as super-popular as Faye?
Well, it's image. I can't imagine what people will say after they get tired
of Faye's "chut wai" image. A singer who depends too much on image will
still end up as a singer but not a so-called "artist". You gotta show some
real stuff to the audience. Also, her "song road" is not new at all.
Everybody sings differently, so there is probably nothing called "a new
song-road", unless she sings everything backwards and intentionally
off-key, and THAT will be new.
Both Sandy and Cass don't get too popular because they don't care too
much about their image. In stead, they emphasize on how to improve each
album, spending more time in the studios rather than in the salon. You can
say I am biased, but hey, that might be true. Who knows. Everytime they
release a new album, they *DO* have something new. But that's in the
songs, not in their looks.
Faye is completely suitable as an idol-type singer, but that's dangerous.
I hope she will put more effort in improving her singing techniques rather
than putting another plastic dress on herself. It will be sad to see if
she wastes her beautiful voice.
Well, I can go on forever but better stop here now. Once again, I insist that
people have over-valued Faye (on the singing part at least). And I hope
people will listen carefully when they play her CD next time.

Anson

Zzzzz.....

Feb 27, 1994, 8:42:18 PM2/27/94
In article <2krbbm$o...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Anson Wun <aw...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:

Geeze..I was gonna do a follow up to the post, but you beat me to it. And
what can I say now? You have practically said all the things I wanted to
say! :)

>Many people are claiming that Faye is popular because she
>sings very good, and probably the best. I don't think so. I still think
>that Faye's popularity is mainly due to her image (unique, wierd, strange,
>socially-astonished; whatever you call it) but not her singing.

All I can say is: can't agree more!!

>Sure she
>does sing good, but so are Sandy, Sally, Cass, Shirley, Jacky, Vivian
>(Lai), Anthony (Lun), Lau Mai Guin, Alan, So Wing Hong, Leung Hon Man....
>blah blah blah blah. But why aren't all of them as super-popular as Faye?

I am very touched to see names mentioned like Anthony Lun, Prudence Lau
and So Wing Hong..etc..these people don't get as much attention and
publicity..but they are all great singers!!!

>Also, her "song road" is not new at all.
>Everybody sings differently, so there is probably nothing called "a new
>song-road", unless she sings everything backwards and intentionally
>off-key, and THAT will be new.

Yes, exactly. Faye's image is very 'unique', but her songs are all
cliche. How new of a style is 'Woman Easily Hurted', or better yet,
"Like Wind", "Summer Love"..just to name a few. I personally like the
song "Like Wind" a lot, but it's still not a new 'song road'.

>Both Sandy and Cass don't get too popular because they don't care too
>much about their image. In stead, they emphasize on how to improve each
>album, spending more time in the studios rather than in the salon. You can
>say I am biased, but hey, that might be true. Who knows. Everytime they
>release a new album, they *DO* have something new. But that's in the
>songs, not in their looks.

That's why it takes them so long to have a new album out. My neck grew a
few inches longer waiting for Sandy's new album. :(

>Faye is completely suitable as an idol-type singer, but that's dangerous.
>I hope she will put more effort in improving her singing techniques rather
>than putting another plastic dress on herself. It will be sad to see if
>she wastes her beautiful voice.

The ironic thing is, people only classify idol-type singers as the good
looking ones. In this case, they rather put Faye in the 'real' singer
category, which she is not. I have nothing against her, but I do wonder,
if Faye didn't have this 'unique' style, would she be as popular as now?
I mean, her songs are basiclaly the same style so far. So probably it's
the image that made the difference, eh?

>Well, I can go on forever but better stop here now. Once again, I insist that
>people have over-valued Faye (on the singing part at least). And I hope
>people will listen carefully when they play her CD next time.

Better yet, listen to her live carefully next time, instead of looking at
her dress. :)

hong

Feb 27, 1994, 11:13:21 PM2/27/94
In article <sleepyCL...@netcom.com>, sle...@netcom.com (Zzzzz.....) writes:
|> In article <2krbbm$o...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Anson Wun <aw...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:
|>
|> Geeze..I was gonna do a follow up to the post, but you beat me to it. And
|> what can I say now? You have practically said all the things I wanted to
|> say! :)
|>
|> >Many people are claiming that Faye is popular because she
|> >sings very good, and probably the best. I don't think so. I still think
|> >that Faye's popularity is mainly due to her image (unique, wierd, strange,
|> >socially-astonished; whatever you call it) but not her singing.
|>
|> All I can say is: can't agree more!!

My two cents on the topic.

I have stayed in HK for 1+ year before I came to US from China.
I was never attracted to HK pop music until this year, when I
visited China and bought several CDs in HK. I was instantly
attracted by Faye's CD "lau fei fei"(?) and led into the
fascinating world of HK pop music (another singer is Jacky Cheung).
Up to now, after I've heard other singers singing, I still like
Faye most among the female singers. Note that I haven't seen her
image a lot since I don't have access to HK media here in USA, it's
her songs and the emotion and skills she put into the songs that I like.

|> >Sure she
|> >does sing good, but so are Sandy, Sally, Cass, Shirley, Jacky, Vivian
|> >(Lai), Anthony (Lun), Lau Mai Guin, Alan, So Wing Hong, Leung Hon Man....
|> >blah blah blah blah. But why aren't all of them as super-popular as Faye?

Is she that popular? I didn't know that. I think she deserves it.

True Faye is unique. I would call that creative. Would you like all
the singers to have the same style? That would get me bored quickly.
If a singer is creative and yet can be accepted by most people, he/she
should not be thought as weird.

I do think pop music in HK needs more diversity and more creative singers
like Faye.

Hong

Zzzzz.....

Feb 28, 1994, 12:34:00 AM2/28/94
In article <2krr11$h...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

hong <hx...@saul.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
>True Faye is unique. I would call that creative. Would you like all
>the singers to have the same style? That would get me bored quickly.
>If a singer is creative and yet can be accepted by most people, he/she
>should not be thought as weird.

I don't know if I'd call that creative, although it isn't common in HK's
showbiz. But I guess the problem I have with Faye is, her image doesn't
go along with the songs she sings. Sure, her image is unique, but her
songs are not. They are just as common as the other singers. So it just
leaves the question or doubt in mind..if Faye is as popular as she is now
because of her image, instead of her singing techniques/songs.

I respect your preference for Faye over other singers, since we all have
different taste. I think she's a good singer also, but it seems like
people have been praising her too much, 'over-valued', as someone else
pointed out before.

>I do think pop music in HK needs more diversity and more creative singers
>like Faye.

There are plenty of great singers in HK showbiz, but sadly, many of them
that are more creative and better in singing techniques don't get the
publicity and the attention they deserve.

Again, I don't mean to be doing Faye-bashing here. But it was just very
nice to see someone else sharing the exact same thought I have on this
matter. :)

ari...@news.delphi.com

Feb 28, 1994, 9:51:03 PM2/28/94

I just want to say that I enjoy this discussion very much. Also, I want
to point out that I don't think her songs are like everybody else's. I DO
think her songs are really diferent from other singers. I do not livein
Hk, so I don't get to see all her images, but her "COming Home" album
really fascinated me. I really do not recall any songs that are similar
in styles as " The Fragile Woman," "Lau Faye Faye," "Summer of Love,"
"COld War," "rekindle (chone yin)," "Miss you nite and day," "No regrets."
etc...........I mean, you really have to admit that her songs are differnt
than the other singers, even though you do not value her singing
techniques. Singers like Andy Lau perpetually have songs with similar
tones and tunes, and more over, he sings it monotonously every time. I
found the same thing happening to Sally Yeh, and Sammi Cheng. Faye's live
performance is indded poor, but I did get a chance to see one of her
performance on tape , which was a mini unplugged concert type of thing,
and she did well there. ANd oh, I forgot to mention her part in
Softhard's "ching beet hard hey," another example of her success. Someone
mentioned that ANdy Hui had the tendency to use nasl tones like Sammi
CHeng, and I do think people have over-valued him, not quite like the case
of Faye though. Even his album has a poor quality. Finally, did you all
hear Faye's new song "forget you like forget me"? it's SOOOO good, but
always room for improvement. lyrics and faye's voice so movin,<tears>........

Anson Wun

Feb 28, 1994, 11:09:13 PM2/28/94
In article <2kuain$8...@news.delphi.com>,

ARI...@DELPHI.COM <ari...@news.delphi.com> wrote:

>I just want to say that I enjoy this discussion very much

So am I!

>but her "COming Home" album really fascinated me. I really do not recall

any songs that are similar......

Is the album really that good? Hm.. I guess i have to listen to it
carefully then :) Thanks for pointing out again.
Personllay, I like "lau fay fay", "cold war", "miss you night and day" and
"rainy days without you" very much.

>ANd oh, I forgot to mention her part in Softhard's "ching beet hard hey,"

YES!!! I think Faye should sing more songs in that style more. Her
performance in that song is splendid indeed. Strange nobody mentioned
that before. ;>

Anson

Wayland A. Lee

Mar 1, 1994, 12:44:18 AM3/1/94
In article <2kuf59$r...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Anson Wun <aw...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:
>In article <2kuain$8...@news.delphi.com>,
>ARI...@DELPHI.COM <ari...@news.delphi.com> wrote:

>Personllay, I like "lau fay fay", "cold war", "miss you night and day" and

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hate to disappoint you... but "miss you night and day" is hardly an
original hit. It is a cover version of a very famous American song:

"Night and Day" by Babyface and the Deal

I must say I like the original version a LOT better than Faye's rendition.

>"rainy days without you" very much.
>
>>ANd oh, I forgot to mention her part in Softhard's "ching beet hard hey,"
>
>YES!!! I think Faye should sing more songs in that style more. Her
>performance in that song is splendid indeed. Strange nobody mentioned
>that before. ;>

"Ching beet hard hey" is one of the best song on SOFTHARD's album!!!!

Way
w...@soda.berkeley.edu

Edward Hui

Mar 1, 1994, 2:05:08 AM3/1/94
In article <2kukni$l...@agate.berkeley.edu>, w...@soda.berkeley.edu (Wayland A. Lee) writes:
>In article <2kuf59$r...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Anson Wun <aw...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>In article <2kuain$8...@news.delphi.com>,
>>ARI...@DELPHI.COM <ari...@news.delphi.com> wrote:
>
>>Personllay, I like "lau fay fay", "cold war", "miss you night and day" and
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I hate to disappoint you... but "miss you night and day" is hardly an
> original hit. It is a cover version of a very famous American song:
>
>"Night and Day" by Babyface and the Deal
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, the title of the song is called "Two Occasions", although they
repeated "Night and Day" a lot in the song.

>I must say I like the original version a LOT better than Faye's rendition.

Well, I think that each version has its uniqueness.

Edward Hui

David Stuart

Mar 1, 1994, 9:23:07 AM3/1/94
In article <2kukni$l...@agate.berkeley.edu>, w...@soda.berkeley.edu (Wayland A. Lee) writes:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

|> Way
|> w...@soda.berkeley.edu

Should it be "Ching Mut Hard Hey" ??? Would someone clear it out?
(Track 3 or 4 in the album "Kwong Bor To Fans Sart Yan Si Kin")

Yip Chi Lap [Beta]

Mar 1, 1994, 9:47:27 AM3/1/94
Samuel Hung (go...@dgp.toronto.edu) wrote:
: I couldn't recall any of her live performance comparable to her quality
: in the CD's.

I can recall one which was really good, although that was
not put in any of her CDs. A few years ago, when she was not as
popular as she now is, in a concert (forgot whether that's a folk
or pop concert, anyway it's not kind of idol concert which tickets are
sold out in a day or two.), she sang with Wong Yiu Ming the song 'Phantom
of the Opera' (!!) If you know song is sung you'll know how difficult
it is. And I think she sung well, and after that day, I think she
could make it.

Regards,
Beta.

--
:) Yip Chi Lap [Beta] /b ee t ah/ 'bee-ta' :9
:> Internet, Bitnet: h9118101@{hkuxa,hkusub,hkueee}.hku.hk :*

tp...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu

Mar 1, 1994, 2:16:59 PM3/1/94
Hello everybody,
This is the first time I'm posting anything. I tried it once before and
I sent it to "sleepy" by accident. Well, after all I've read here in the nnews,
I found out that many people criticize Faye mainly because she's too popular
for her skills. I think it's all bullshit. She's undoubtedly one of the best
female singers in the entire history of Hong Kong entertainment. I am sick
of reading all these personal attacks on her. I don't think she deserves all
these crap. In my opinion, she is very real...what I mean is that she doesn't
pretend to be someone she's not --- as in Vivian Chow's "Yuk Lui" (meaning
virgin) image. Faye expressed herself from the lyrics she composed in "jup mie
bud fui" (acting with no regrets?!). And in "Lau Fay Fay," a couple of her
friends wrote how they'd think if they were in her position. She's definitly
not being unique so that she'd be able to become popular; it's how she likes to
dress herself.
Refering to what people in the news wrote about her singing techniques,
I'd like to say that she is THE BEST in that category. I don't think anybody
could sing her songs any better, well...may be herself; saying she still has a
long way from Sandy, Cass, and Shirley is extremely ridiculous.
have any comments since I don't see a price tag on her --- I don't know how
much she WORTHS to people. Why don't you just stay off her back 'cos I don't
think she deserves all these.
"Ching Mud hak hay" is the third song in "Guong bor doe fans sard yun
si kin" It's pretty awesome, isn't it?

Faye Fan Forever,

Tom.

k. lee

Mar 1, 1994, 6:32:11 PM3/1/94
What impresses me most about Faye's singing is her ability to carry songs
of vastly different genre with ease. "A Fragile Woman", "Miss You Night and
Day", "No More Games", etc. are all done beautifully by her. I don't think
any other female singer in HK can be as versatile as she is. Although I
have to disagree slightly with Tom, who claims that no one can do any of
her songs as well as she does. Each one of her songs can probably be
done just as well, perhaps even better, by some other singer: e.g. "A Fragile
Woman" sounds like something Sally might have done beautifully, and I also
think that Shirley would have done a better job on "No More Games." It's just
that no one singer can do ALL of Faye's songs as uniformly well as she.
-k.l.

Anson Wun

Mar 1, 1994, 7:36:06 PM3/1/94

The discussion on Faye has been attentive, constructive and *peacefull* so
far until:
In article <1994Mar1.111659.1@clstac>, <tp...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu> wrote:
>[.........]

>I found out that many people criticize Faye mainly because she's too popular
>for her skills. I think it's all bullshit. She's undoubtedly one of the best
^^^^^^^^

>female singers in the entire history of Hong Kong entertainment. I am sick
>of reading all these personal attacks on her.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A public finger has to stand criticism. And since opinions are subjective,
if you don't like it, just smile and ignore instead of calling others'
opinions "bullshit".
All the articles on her I read (and posted) so far had no this so-called
"personal attacks". We netters are just discussing on her singing
techniques, style and image which an she shows to the public. So
there is nothing personal, not even attacks. We are *not* talking about
her daily life or personality here. Moreover, she is too early to be
called "one of the best female singers in the entire history of Hong Kong
entertainment". Even no one had ever stated whether Anita Mui or Sally Yeh
or Sandy Lam could be one of those bests. Faye still has a long long way
to go. If you are looking at the "entire history", well, Tsui Siu Fung,
Theresa Tang and Yip Duk Han might be in your category. :)

>I don't think she deserves all
>these crap. In my opinion, she is very real...what I mean is that she doesn't

^^^^

>pretend to be someone she's not --- as in Vivian Chow's "Yuk Lui" (meaning
>virgin) image. Faye expressed herself from the lyrics she composed in "jup mie
>bud fui" (acting with no regrets?!). And in "Lau Fay Fay," a couple of her
>friends wrote how they'd think if they were in her position. She's definitly
>not being unique so that she'd be able to become popular; it's how she likes to
>dress herself.

*sigh* "Crap" again. If our opinions are craps, so is yours. Sorry for being
rude here, but I mean, even some waste can be recycled nowadays. Ok, who
else, besides Vivan Chow, is pretending to be somone she's not? We are not
even comparing Faye and Vivian (and no need to do that at all). Can you
tell me who else is "not she used to be"? And if you know Faye personally
then you could say she is "real", otherwise, that's just a crude
assumption and flase belief from the meida. If you *do* know Faye very
well, than, my apology. Also, she is not the only one who
expresses herself from songs. Try Sandy Lam's "Song in the Wind" and
"Wildflower". There are lots of these songs around and are you going to
believe everything the singer tells you? I hope not. (but I have to say
that "Lau Fay Fay" is a very good song). You say she's not unique? I say
she is. Otherwise she won't have so many fans. Everyone is unique in a
sense in the showbiz.

>Refering to what people in the news wrote about her singing techniques,
>I'd like to say that she is THE BEST in that category. I don't think anybody
>could sing her songs any better, well...may be herself; saying she still has a
>long way from Sandy, Cass, and Shirley is extremely ridiculous.

The question of category again. What is her category? I think you can only
divide pop music into ballads/technos/avant-garde/soul...etc, And
obviously, Faye isn't in any of these categories. So I don't think you can
define her singing technique into a "category" (she's not from any school
of singing; unlike there are many different "schools" of violin playing
for e.g. then you could say there are many different "categories"). I
think she has her own singing style(so is everbody), and if you want to put
her style into a "category", then she will be the only one in there. Then
you can't say whether she is the best or not 'coz she is the *only one* and she
could also be the worst. As well, no one has ever re-sung her songs yet,
so then how can you say no one can surpass her? One singer who is very
close to her is Cass, and I believe she can sing the songs as well as
Faye, or even better than her (her breathing is much much better at least);
just as you believe that no other can sing better. I'd say, it will be
extrememly ridiculous to say Faye is anywhere close to Sandy, Cass and
Shirley. Faye still has a lot to improve (that's what I think personally
anyway) and she has a great potential to sing much better than now.

>have any comments since I don't see a price tag on her --- I don't know how
>much she WORTHS to people. Why don't you just stay off her back 'cos I don't
>think she deserves all these.

If you are so fussy about word explanations on their surface level, oh
well, I can't think of other words closer to "over-value". I hope you do
know what I meant by "over-value", rather than what you said "a price tag".
"Over-value" is what you are doing now, I guess: that is, saying that
"FAYE IS THE BEST" over and over. Her flaws in singing are much more
serious than others in the same "level". You got to be objective. See, I
won't get mad if you are going to say "Sandy sucks" because I know there
are problems in Sandy's singing and if you could point out anything, I will
be more than happy to discuss it with you instead of winding about this
"bullshit" and "craps". I won't get upset or "sick", unless those comments are
unreasonable.
Ah... and about "stay off her back": I would rather stand in front of her
'coz I think back-scattered sounds are not that good :) [neat analogy
with the "price tag" thing eh?! ;p ]

> "Ching Mud hak hay" is the third song in "Guong bor doe fans sard yun
>si kin" It's pretty awesome, isn't it?

Yes, that song is awesome.

>Faye Fan Forever,
>
>Tom.

And I also hope that all the fans of Faye can really be Faye's fans forever.

Fans of none,
Anson <red aura>

Pat Kwan

Mar 1, 1994, 9:18:12 PM3/1/94
In article <2l0j9r$4...@amhux3.amherst.edu>,

k. lee <kl...@unix.amherst.edu> wrote:
>What impresses me most about Faye's singing is her ability to carry songs
>of vastly different genre with ease. "A Fragile Woman", "Miss You Night and
>Day", "No More Games", etc. are all done beautifully by her. I don't think
>any other female singer in HK can be as versatile as she is. Although I
>-k.l.
Do you feel Faye who is so versatile before she is popular?
I still have no idea why Faye suddenly is so popular after
she came back from NY for a couples of months.
Same as Leon Lai ,he appeared in many soap series of TVB
before he is so successful. I don't find any big difference for his
singing's talent between now and his first singing competition.
I just think the image of singer and marketing technique are
the most important in "HK."

PK

MA JEH-CHUN

Mar 1, 1994, 11:19:57 PM3/1/94

Ready all these posts on Faye Wong, I no longer can keep myself quiet.
I'll give you guys my opinion on her...though I'm sure I'm in the minority
based on what I've read on the net.

1) I really don't like "Lau Fay Fay". I find it really cheesy (sorry, can't
think of another word that more polite), especially when the backup singers
come on and sing sychronously "FAY FAY". That drives me up the wall! Gives
me goosebumps. But then, music is subjective non?

2) I think she is a good singer with a good voice. Her English is also quite
good...not much accent in her songs. I saw her sing on TV, and she hits
those high notes with ease....no problem. This is unlike many of the other
singers that was on the show (eg. Chi Lam) that had to really clench their
fist and strain to sing the high parts. Faye Wong just nonchelantly passed
by those high notes.

3) I hate the way she dresses...that grunge look. And it's not really
grunge either....it's like a high-class grunge....expensive clothing torn
to little bits :ppp I just think that style of dressing is really awful.
Again, fashion is subjective. But I think she hit her worst on another TV
show in which I saw her. It was one of these contests between the "White"
and "Red" teams in which the white team comprise of male singer and red
comprise of female singer. Then they have a contest...etc. In that show,
I don't know what happened to her hair....it looked like Einstein's!! No
kidding....it really looked like Einstein's hair...that spreading out puffy
kind similar to a cartoon character having just put his finger in a socket.
The clothes wasn't better either. She was in this track suit kinda top with
black tights (?), and some kind of white material that covered the midsection
of her body which looked like an april pulled up really high to her chest.
*YUK*

However, the most important thing is her singing...which is good :)

Stan

Zzzzz.....

Mar 2, 1994, 2:49:43 AM3/2/94
In article <1994Mar1.111659.1@clstac>, <tp...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu> wrote:
>Hello everybody,
> This is the first time I'm posting anything. I tried it once before and
>I sent it to "sleepy" by accident. Well, after all I've read here in the nnews,

[whole bunch of flames deleted]

Too bad the original article wasn't posted, because that one sounded mroe
'rational' then this one'. Man, calm down. No body is bashing her, this
is a discussion. No? You won't let anyone criticiz your idol??

Well, if anyone is interested, here's the original 'better' article:

Hello everybody,
This is the first time I'm posting anything....hope it works.
I would like to begin by saying that I'm a big fan of Faye's. After reading all
these articles about her, I found that many people criticize her for
her wierd style and the lack of singing techniques; many also think that people
are over-valuing her and the opinion that her songs are not that different from
other female singers. However, one thing that I don't understand, many of the
writers also revealed that she is a good singer.
hhmmmm........there's too much in my mind. First of all, I respect all
of your opinions. But I recall someone saying that Faye still has a long way
(singing technique-wise) from Sally, Cass, and Shirley??!!! I think that's
going too far. That sounds like something personal.

>Sure, her image is unique, but her
>songs are not. They are just as common as the other singers. So it just
>leaves the question or doubt in mind..if Faye is as popular as she is now
>because of her image, instead of her singing techniques/songs.

I've got a question....who has ever sang a song that even has the slightest
resemblance of "Lau Fei Fei?" That is one of my all time favorites. It also
represents some of her responses to all the criticism on her. How many singers
have sang their "Sum Sing" (thoughts) towards the media?

***Dude, PLENTY of people have sang their "sum sing", and many wrote
their own lyrics too. I guess you should listen to more songs before
saying that. And besides, I know that Faye did a horrible job singing
that song live (I thought it was pretty bad over the CD too, but oh
well). I am sure plenty of singers can sing that song just as good as
she does, if not better.

I really don't understand why so many people keep bashing on her.

***Nobody is bashing on her, just discussion! Sheesh!

Well, I have one request.......don't just focus on Faye......there are other
singers out there. We can bash on Leon Lai instead, for example. I think he and
two other "sky king"'s could use some comments. You should know who they are.

***'Bash' anyone you like, but I'd prefer a 'discussion' instead.

Let's end this here before I write a book.

Zzzzz.....

Mar 2, 1994, 3:14:28 AM3/2/94

>I just want to say that I enjoy this discussion very much. Also, I want

I do too, as long as this stays as a 'discussion' instead of a flame war. :)

[...]

>really fascinated me. I really do not recall any songs that are similar
>in styles as " The Fragile Woman," "Lau Faye Faye," "Summer of Love,"
>"COld War," "rekindle (chone yin)," "Miss you nite and day," "No regrets."
>etc...........I mean, you really have to admit that her songs are differnt
>than the other singers, even though you do not value her singing
>techniques.

Well, let's see...I don't know all the songs that you mentioned above, so
I'll just talk about the ones that I *do* know. First of all, "The
Fragile Woman" and "No Regrets" are two very old-style ballads. Yes, you
can say the melody is good, the song is good, but the songs are really
not a 'different style' or anything new. "Summer of Love" is a very
pleasant song, but who hasn't sing that kind of song before?? Almost
everyone has by now. Nothing new. Good song? Perhaps. New? I doubt it.
"Cold War" might sound different, but frankly, other singers have sang
those type of songs before. Really. :) So what's left? So far, I see
Faye with new images everyday, but same old type of songs all along.

>Singers like Andy Lau perpetually have songs with similar
>tones and tunes, and more over, he sings it monotonously every time. I
>found the same thing happening to Sally Yeh, and Sammi Cheng.

Well..be cautious here, just because these people have the same problem
doesn't mean that Faye doesn't. Besides, I think Andy Lau's popularity
is just as much of a phenomena as Faye's. As to Sally, she sings better
then Faye, period.

>Faye's live
>performance is indded poor, but I did get a chance to see one of her
>performance on tape , which was a mini unplugged concert type of thing,
>and she did well there.

Compare to her live performance? Or compare to her CD performance? :)

>ANd oh, I forgot to mention her part in
>Softhard's "ching beet hard hey," another example of her success.

OHHHH..this is probably my favorite song which has Faye in it so far.
Just awesome. She did good in this song too. But sorry, I wouldn't
say that if Shirley sang this song she wouldn't do just as good, if
not better. :)

>Someone
>mentioned that ANdy Hui had the tendency to use nasl tones like Sammi
>CHeng, and I do think people have over-valued him, not quite like the case
>of Faye though. Even his album has a poor quality.

Hm? Andy Hui's album has poor quality?? Well, as far as I am concerned,
his album is more attractive to me then Faye's. Of course, that's
personal preference. :)

Zzzzz.....

Mar 2, 1994, 3:22:22 AM3/2/94
In article <2l0j9r$4...@amhux3.amherst.edu>,
k. lee <kl...@unix.amherst.edu> wrote:

[...]

>I don't think
>any other female singer in HK can be as versatile as she is. Although I
>have to disagree slightly with Tom, who claims that no one can do any of
>her songs as well as she does. Each one of her songs can probably be
>done just as well, perhaps even better, by some other singer: e.g. "A Fragile
>Woman" sounds like something Sally might have done beautifully, and I also
>think that Shirley would have done a better job on "No More Games." It's just
>that no one singer can do ALL of Faye's songs as uniformly well as she.

A-hem. Be careful here, you're making a VERY, EXTREMELY general
statement. All of the songs mentioned above can be done beautifully by
either Sandy, Sally, Shirley or don't forget Anita Mui. No singer can do
that? Please. Think of it the other way. Can Faye do Sally 'Jou For
Yup More' (Queen of the Night chinese version)? Although Sally didn't do
a perfect job, I am sure Faye couldn't have done a better job then
Sally. What about "Without You But Still Love You" by Sandy? Sandy has
a lot more emotions then Faye in singing. This song is just a perfect
example.

I do realize my bias, since I don't really think Faye can sing as good as
what people say she can. However, please try not to make general
statements like that when you have a world of awesome singers out there.

Zzzzz.....

Mar 2, 1994, 3:27:33 AM3/2/94
In article <2l0n1m$1...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Anson Wun <aw...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:

>A public finger has to stand criticism. And since opinions are subjective,
>if you don't like it, just smile and ignore instead of calling others'
>opinions "bullshit".
>All the articles on her I read (and posted) so far had no this so-called
>"personal attacks". We netters are just discussing on her singing
>techniques, style and image which an she shows to the public. So

[...]

*sigh* All I can say is, you beat me to it Anson!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have written everything I thought about writing, so all there's left
to say is: I agree with you. :)

Sounds familiar? :P

Anson Wun

Mar 2, 1994, 4:13:28 AM3/2/94
Whew, finally Sleepy steps in. You surely sound more convincing as I do. I am
writing longer and longer |in my recent posts and I might be getting too
biased. I am just too surprised to see people praising Faye too high (wow,
I avoid the word "over-value" :> ) and that often stops me of being maximum
objective (in general).
I believe many of you out there who are watching all these discussion have
something to say, don't you? Please, don't wait, tell us what you think.
One thing I am sure though, is that Faye is probably the most famous
person now in SCHK.E.! :)
And yes, I am prepared and I will try to be as objective as I can again. :P
(of course, at the same time, I will shrink my posts too...)

Anson
---

D1...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Mar 2, 1994, 1:57:46 PM3/2/94
"A fragilewoman" is this " Sau Seong Dic Nui Yan"??
I am looking for the song but have no idea who sang it.....

Tze Soh

Mar 2, 1994, 3:02:05 PM3/2/94
What else can I say? Sleepy and you have already said everything I
want to. I believe Faye became popular just because of her "fresh" image.
However, there are not much "freshness" in her songs, especially those made
her popular, like "A Fragile Woman"(which is very "lo toe" IMO.) As far as
her singing skill is concerned, I don't think she is better than Sandy, or
even Cass Pang.

Well, a person is popular doesn't mean that he/she is good, especially in
HK showbiz.

-Tze Ken Soh

tp...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu

Mar 2, 1994, 4:03:50 PM3/2/94
Hello everybody,

It's me again. The Faye Fan. (Anson, thanx 4 trying to correct me; I'm
sure YOU can be A FANS!)

> A public finger has to stand criticism.

^^^^^^
If you'd like to criticize a public finger, go ahead. Criticize MY finger if
you wish, I'd be gladly accepting all the criticism.

> And since opinions are subjective,
> if you don't like it, just smile and ignore instead of calling others'
> opinions "bullshit".

I'd be happy to apologize to all the people offended by the word "bullshit" and
how I over-reacted to others opinions. But if you (Anson) don't like it, just
SMILE and IGNORE instead of writing ME this LLLOOOOONNNNGGGGG post and waste
everybody else's time.

> All the articles on her I read (and posted) so far had no this so-called
> "personal attacks". We netters are just discussing on her singing
> techniques, style and image which an she shows to the public. So
> there is nothing personal, not even attacks. We are *not* talking about
> her daily life or personality here.

Trust me, I read all the posts. I wasn't specificly talking about you. There
were people criticizing her personalities and complaining how wierd her voice
is.

> Moreover, she is too early to be
> called "one of the best female singers in the entire history of Hong Kong
> entertainment". Even no one had ever stated whether Anita Mui or Sally Yeh
> or Sandy Lam could be one of those bests. Faye still has a long long way
> to go. If you are looking at the "entire history", well, Tsui Siu Fung,
> Theresa Tang and Yip Duk Han might be in your category. :)

Yes, they are all in my category.........and you left out Francis Yip. I only
considered her to be ONE of the best, not THE best in the history of HK
entertainment. Forgive me if I didn't make myself clear enough......she
could've been best 10, best 100, best 1000,.........etc.

>>I don't think she deserves all
>>these crap. In my opinion, she is very real...what I mean is that she doesn't
> ^^^^
>>pretend to be someone she's not --- as in Vivian Chow's "Yuk Lui" (meaning
>>virgin) image. Faye expressed herself from the lyrics she composed in "jup mie
>>bud fui" (acting with no regrets?!). And in "Lau Fay Fay," a couple of her
>>friends wrote how they'd think if they were in her position. She's definitly
>>not being unique so that she'd be able to become popular; it's how she likes to
>>dress herself.
>

> Also, she is not the only one who
> expresses herself from songs. Try Sandy Lam's "Song in the Wind" and
> "Wildflower". There are lots of these songs around and are you going to
> believe everything the singer tells you? I hope not. (but I have to say
> that "Lau Fay Fay" is a very good song). You say she's not unique? I say
> she is. Otherwise she won't have so many fans. Everyone is unique in a
> sense in the showbiz.

Notice I didn't say she was the only one who expresses herself from songs. And
NO, I don't believe everything the singer tells me. I just observed that it
fits together well with what she's done, that all. AND ALSO, SORRY FOR NOT
MAKING MYSELF CLEAR, I DEFINITELY DID NOT SAY THAT SHE'S NOT UNIQUE. I SAID THE
REASON SHE'S UNIQUE IS THAT SHE IS A REALLY UNIQUE PERSON HERSELF; SHE IS NOT
PROJECTING AN IMAGE. I know many may not agree, but that's what I think.

> If you are so fussy about word explanations on their surface level, oh
> well, I can't think of other words closer to "over-value". I hope you do
> know what I meant by "over-value", rather than what you said "a price tag".
> "Over-value" is what you are doing now, I guess: that is, saying that
> "FAYE IS THE BEST" over and over.

I have NOT made ONE single statement saying that "FAYE IS THE BEST" in the
message, Please don't "wud" me.
But I still don't understand what "over-value" means in refering to a person;
it's hard for me to "value" a person. It's fine with me if everybody uses that
phrase, I wouldn't comment anymore on that.

> Her flaws in singing are much more
> serious than others in the same "level". You got to be objective. See, I
> won't get mad if you are going to say "Sandy sucks" because I know there
> are problems in Sandy's singing and if you could point out anything, I will
> be more than happy to discuss it with you instead of winding about this
> "bullshit" and "craps". I won't get upset or "sick", unless those comments are
> unreasonable.

I think you've got to be objective too........you are really confusing me.
You are telling me to be objective while saying that it's alright if I'd said
"Sandy sucks" instead; a totally subjective statement. And I won't get upset or
"sick", unless those comments are contradictary.

> Ah... and about "stay off her back": I would rather stand in front of her
> 'coz I think back-scattered sounds are not that good :) [neat analogy
> with the "price tag" thing eh?!

Hahahaha.......I'm laughing my pants off!!!

> And I also hope that all the fans of Faye can really be Faye's fans forever.
>
> Fans of none,
> Anson <red aura>

And I ALSO hope that all the fans of none can really be none's fans forever.

Faye Fan Forever,

Tom

Edward Hui

Mar 2, 1994, 4:40:39 PM3/2/94

I haven't joined this discussion even though I post a lot. Sleepy
is pro-Sandy, and I can say I'm pro-Faye, even though I'm not a hugh fan.
I think so far each side has made some very good points. Her success is
not a fluke, but on the other hand, she is not perfect and has grounds
for improvement. I don't care too much about her image as long as she
continues to provide us good songs.
BTW, I just received the "Faye Best" CD, what a pathetic "no-cover"
design! How am I going to keep the CD since there is no box? I listened
to the only new song "Forget You is Like Forget Me". It is a typical
Leslie Cheung style ballad. Again, I think her breathing is too much
in this song. It is not really a Faye's style ballad, perhaps no one
can do this song better than Leslie Cheung himself.

Edward Hui

Anson Wun

Mar 2, 1994, 4:42:49 PM3/2/94

I got a mail from Rob. I think he wanted to post it initially.
I'll put that up now.

Subject: Re: Is Faye Wong's Singing Really That Good?
Newsgroups: soc.culture.hongkong.entertainment
Faye the most famous person on shk.e???

That would be unfortunate. There are so many other good things to talk about
than Faye Wong's singing ability.

I suggest we broaden the discussion on Faye Wong to other female singers.
Who among the female singers can really sing (Sarah Chen... I am not sure
who I'd pick for cantonese songs... problem here is while Sally keeps winning
all these awards, notice her best selling songs are either 1) Duet with Mr.
Mustache (Ah Lam), or 2) in mandarin)? Who is the best performer (without a
question: Anita Mui)? Who is really up and coming and will be around say
5 to 10 years from now (changes due to '97 not withstanding).

By the way, this is not to say I don't believe Faye Wong has some talent.
When she first came out "A Woman who is easily hurt", I thought she was a
one-shot wonder. I have since changed my vote due to her recent work.
Just my two cents worth on Faye Wong.

Ooops... I just forgot who is totally left out of my list. No, not Sandy, but
this girl (please... the cantonese audience please help me here) whose last name
is Chen (just like Sarah Chen) and she had been around a while too. Her last
record, I believe, was "(Red) Tea House"... it's about some dude sitting there
complaining about lack of women problem, and she was volunteering herself.
Other works include "Snow Flurrie" (can't spell...) it's about some snowflakes
falling on the ground that touched off some weird nerve.

Someone out there can help me???

Ciao,
Rob

Robert H. Wang

Mar 2, 1994, 5:04:32 PM3/2/94
In article <2l318p$4...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Anson Wun <aw...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:

>I got a mail from Rob. I think he wanted to post it initially.
>I'll put that up now.

Anson was nice enough to repost my mail... Thanks...

Please refer to my article number 660. For those of you who got mailed.
I am sorry. And if you want to be nice to a ding-dong such as myself and
repost for me, feel free. But I pretty much summarized all the info I sent
out today in article 660.

Again, thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Rob

Alvin W. Law

Mar 2, 1994, 5:32:35 PM3/2/94
In article <CM0s1...@sun3.vlsi.uwaterloo.ca> sj...@sun14.vlsi.uwaterloo.ca (MA JEH-CHUN) writes:

> 3) I hate the way she dresses...that grunge look. And it's not really
> grunge either....it's like a high-class grunge....expensive clothing torn
> to little bits :ppp I just think that style of dressing is really awful.
> Again, fashion is subjective. But I think she hit her worst on another TV
> show in which I saw her. It was one of these contests between the "White"
> and "Red" teams in which the white team comprise of male singer and red
> comprise of female singer. Then they have a contest...etc. In that show,
> I don't know what happened to her hair....it looked like Einstein's!! No
> kidding....it really looked like Einstein's hair...that spreading out puffy
> kind similar to a cartoon character having just put his finger in a socket.

If you can't stand the "Dragon Ball" look, then don't even bother
watching the RTHK award 'cos her "pineapple" look will definitely blow
you through the roof of your house.

> The clothes wasn't better either. She was in this track suit kinda top with
> black tights (?), and some kind of white material that covered the midsection
> of her body which looked like an april pulled up really high to her chest.

You will be amazed how many teenagers in Hong Kong are impersonating
the exact same look nowadays.

--
Alvin W. Law .............................................. Oracle Corporation
Senior Applications Engineer ..................... 300 Oracle Parkway, Floor 6

Anson Wun

Mar 2, 1994, 5:32:53 PM3/2/94
*WARNING* THIS COULD BE A LONG POST, AND THERE *MIGHT* BE MANY TYPOS AND UNCLEAR
STATEMENTS. READ IT OR NOT? YOU DECIDE. BUT PLEASE DON"T COMPLAIN OF ME WASTING YOUR TIME
AFTER YOU"VE READ IT. :) My long writing and massive typos are due to my ineffiency in
English. I will look around if there's a newgroup called "alt.bad.students.ESL". I hope
that will satisfy somebody.

In article <1994Mar2.130350.1@clstac>, <tp...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu> wrote:
>If you'd like to criticize a public finger, go ahead. Criticize MY finger if
>you wish, I'd be gladly accepting all the criticism.

Oh wow, here it goes again. I think you do understand what I mean, don't you? Seems like
you are picking on my post, rather than the discussion. Ok Ok, I will spell check next time.
I am very bad at tying, especially getting the words right.

>I'd be happy to apologize to all the people offended by the word "bullshit" and
>how I over-reacted to others opinions. But if you (Anson) don't like it, just
>SMILE and IGNORE instead of writing ME this LLLOOOOONNNNGGGGG post and waste
>everybody else's time.

Well, if "SMILE and IGNORE" (in caps too!) always applies, than does it mean that I can
always say what I want, no matter how rude it is? @&S%@!(#HJEGB [I guess you are smiling
now, and you are going to ignore, right? :p ] Also, I have warned the netters before that
my posts are going to be long (I did mention it before) and I stated that if they don't
want to read it, they don't have to. Any hey, know what? I learnt something from you: I
can't find the word LLLOOOOONNNNGGGG in the dictionary. It's too long, I think. Is it a
typo? Or you just type too fast..... Oh, did I waste your time? Sorry.
One more thing, why do you say "if you (Anson) don't like it"? I think it's better to be
more general, instead of telling everybody who says what. But I sure don't mind you
bringing up my name and pointing your flame at me though :">
P.S. Has "everybody" complained yet about me writing too long and wasting their time? I
think I myslef was the only one who was complaining.

>Trust me, I read all the posts. I wasn't specificly talking about
you. There >were people criticizing her personalities and complaining how wierd her voice
>is.

I think those who criticize her personalities did put something like "Rumors said...". Is
that still "personal"? I hope not, otherwise, all those news reporters should be jailed
(since personal attack is illegal, I think). And, her voice is what she shows us, and
anybody can critcze that, no matter good or bad. Just as you critize my typos!

>Yes, they are all in my category.........and you left out Francis Yip. I only
>considered her to be ONE of the best, not THE best in the history of HK
>entertainment. Forgive me if I didn't make myself clear enough......she
>could've been best 10, best 100, best 1000,.........etc.

What's the point of saying the word "best" if there are to be "best 1000....etc."?
I think "the best" can only refer to a few (although the formal definition should be "the
only"). And when I said she is not yet one of the best, I don't mean she could even be one of
the "best 1000.....etc." I mean her singing is far away to be called "best". I think I
did make myself clear on that, didn't I?

>Notice I didn't say she was the only one who expresses herself from songs. And
>NO, I don't believe everything the singer tells me. I just observed that it
>fits together well with what she's done, that all. AND ALSO, SORRY FOR NOT
>MAKING MYSELF CLEAR, I DEFINITELY DID NOT SAY THAT SHE'S NOT UNIQUE. I SAID THE
>REASON SHE'S UNIQUE IS THAT SHE IS A REALLY UNIQUE PERSON HERSELF; SHE IS NOT
>PROJECTING AN IMAGE. I know many may not agree, but that's what I think.

OK OK, my fault. I am just giving you alternatives there!
AM I REALLY *THAT* UNCLEAR ????
I thought you did say that she is not unique. OK OK, sorry again. You were clear. May be
it's just my screen or my mind that are not clear.
And, I think SHE IS PROJECTING AN IMAGE.

>I have NOT made ONE single statement saying that "FAYE IS THE BEST" in the >message,
>Please don't "wud" me.
>But I still don't understand what "over-value" means in refering to a person;
>it's hard for me to "value" a person. It's fine with me if everybody uses that
>phrase, I wouldn't comment anymore on that.

I didn't mean that you said "FAYE IS THE BEST". I am not blind! (being that UNCLEAR is
pretty bad already, poor me :< )It refers to my statement
about "over-value" in the previous posts. But I was using "people over-value her" then,
so I was not pointing at you! SORRY FOR NOT MAKING MYSELF CLEAR.
P.S. I like the way how you use "wud". You surely are very good at using it :) (wooppps...)

>I think you've got to be objective too........you are really confusing me.
>You are telling me to be objective while saying that it's alright if I'd said
>"Sandy sucks" instead; a totally subjective statement. And I won't get upset or
>"sick", unless those comments are contradictary.

What are we doing here? Is it an English lecture or is it a lecture on Logic?
Please notice what I was saying there. I said, you could have a subjective feeling about
a certain singer but you gotta be objective in critisizing her. Ok, "Sandy sucks" is a
subjective statement; but "she has problem in her breathing" , for eg, is an objective
statement. I am just thinking that you are making too many subjective statements in your
CONFUSING PEOPLE. Sorry guys.

>And I ALSO hope that all the fans of none can really be none's fans forever.
>Faye Fan Forever,
>
>Tom

Wow, you sure are picking on me, aren't you? My statement about fans is a good one (AM I
NOT CLEAR AGAIN??) and then you hope "fans of none can really be none's fans forever". Is
there anything wrong of not having an idol yet? I'm confused. Oh well, I can be your fan
if you like. :)

None's fan yet (and hope not forever),

Anson
P.S. I believed I have typed many things wrong again. I am just too lazy to use a
spell-checker!

David Stuart

Mar 2, 1994, 6:12:59 PM3/2/94

Her name is Priscilla Chan Wai Han. Her latest album was "Nei Sun Bin Wing
Si Ngor". (I'm the one who is always besides you.) "Kwei Loi Ba" (Return) was
released in 1992 which include the song "Hung Cha Gun" (Red tea house).

ari...@news.delphi.com

Mar 2, 1994, 10:38:23 PM3/2/94

SInce it's rather difficult and too much of an hassle for me to repost the
articles in here, I didn't. Someone mentioned that Sally Yeh can sing
"Fragile woman" as good or even better than Faye. I doubt it. Sally
Yeh's voice is not appropriate for singing "quiet" songs, by that I mean
songs that have a tone of mourning, a mood of sadness, and a shade of
dispossession, as in "Forgt you like forget me," and "like wind."
Faye's voice has the competence to bring about my internal semblance,
which no other singers have been capable of creating the same effects on
me. I say it's icily emotional, and uniquely spellbounding. She might not
have the "warmth" other singers' voice can provide, but my preference
might be different from others, so that I was able to enjoy her songs.
AS to "Lau Faye Faye," again, I realy doubt that any singer can generate
the same effect Faye can, but that I don't mean having the same voice or
techniques, but the "feel" will be really different. I think different
singers are talented in different types of songs, and that's just the way
it goes, so maybe some other singers can do a better job in Faye's songs.
That is possible. I want to point ou tthat if anyone has seen last year's
TVB anniversary, you will recall that Faye, along with Sandy and Sally
were singing the others' songs. I discovered that Sally couln't sing
Faye's "summer of love," and Sandy can hardly master "N omore games."
Indeed they were doing okay in their own songs-"Tin tai day tai" , and
"chau for yup more." On the other hand, Faye sang sally's "beleive in
myself," and Sandy's "shock" (chun hum), and the result was remarkable, if
not the best. I am not saying that Faye can sing every of their songs, I
don't think she can sing some of Sandy's songs, but it's just because her
voice itself is different from Sandy's, but I beleive FAye can sing "chau
for yup mor" with no problem. Oh, man, i am losing track oof what i am
singing, so finally, I want to say that Faye has done an excellent job in
softhard's "ching beet hard hey" but i doubt that shirley can d othe same
thing as good, shirley is good at other types of songs. Faye's voice has
this magnetism that I cannot resist, and i am glad that this
discusssion(is it still one?) has been going pretty well so far, except a
few profanity I spotted.

Arigadoistically favorable in Faye,
One of the many Faye's fans....

KWONG CHUN-KUEN

Mar 3, 1994, 1:50:45 AM3/3/94
>That is possible. I want to point ou tthat if anyone has seen last year's
>TVB anniversary, you will recall that Faye, along with Sandy and Sally
>were singing the others' songs. I discovered that Sally couln't sing
>Faye's "summer of love," and Sandy can hardly master "N omore games."

When did this happen? I don't recall any of the above singing the others'
songs... Is this the "Seasonal" awards?

>Indeed they were doing okay in their own songs-"Tin tai day tai" , and
>"chau for yup more." On the other hand, Faye sang sally's "beleive in
>myself," and Sandy's "shock" (chun hum), and the result was remarkable, if
>not the best. I am not saying that Faye can sing every of their songs, I

True that Sally would never be able to sing Faye(or Sandy's) songs with the
same effects, but When you guse the song "shock" as an example, I really have
to bud in. First of all, its not really a "singer-song". Its more of a
"production song". What I mean is that anyone could of sing that song and
sound good after production.(Background/support/etc). Its not really
a fail comparsion. Also, summer of love was a very specificly picked
song for Faye's sharp-clean voice.

This is how I divide them. Sandy has a very warm, sweet voice that would
melt you. While Faye, being the opposite have a very clean, very clear, and
very cold voice. Its excellent for songs like Yu Fone, Summer of Love, and
"Easily Hurt Women", but not for upbeat songs(thats not sad:)
Sally, on the other hand, is another type. To me, she's right in the middle
. Her only distinct point is the powerful voice she can produce when she
needs to. Her success I think is due to the conformity of it.(don't flame me)

>thing as good, shirley is good at other types of songs. Faye's voice has
>this magnetism that I cannot resist, and i am glad that this
>discusssion(is it still one?) has been going pretty well so far, except a
>few profanity I spotted.

Well, I think we all find one of these 'magnets' in our life. Mine is
Sandy....

Li-Ming Huang

Mar 3, 1994, 11:17:44 AM3/3/94
In article <94061.13...@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>, <D1...@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
|> "A fragilewoman" is this " Sau Seong Dic Nui Yan"??
|> I am looking for the song but have no idea who sang it.....

If I recall correctly, there is a version of this song done by Cally Kwong
Mei Wan, quite a while before Faye's release. I've been looking for Cally's
version for a long time but couldn't find it. Would someone care to comment
on Cally's version? I'm sure it sounds quite different from Faye's. Would
also appreciate it if you could tell me which of Cally's album the song's
released in.

Thanks,
Li Ming Huang | "Open up your mind let your fantasies unwind
(lim...@bcarhb0c.bnr.ca) | In this darkness which you know you can not fight
| The power of the music of the night..."
#include <dislaimer.h> | -- Phantom of the Opera

tp...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu

Mar 3, 1994, 1:19:35 PM3/3/94
Hello everybody,

Sorry for changing the intention of the post last time; it was for
nothing but the personal joy and satisfaction of "inch"-ing the person who
criticized my writing while he/she can't even write. (no hard feelings,
alright?!) I'd avoid that in the future. I'll try to make this a constructive
discussion and be as objective as possible.

I'd have to agree that each female singers mentioned previously each
have their unique voices, creating different effects. I enjoy Faye's clear
voice. It's so clear and sharp that the tweeters on my speakers can't even
handle it. I'm always amused by the way she handles high notes; it just seems
like there's no limit.

There are many reasons for her popularity; one of which is the "Chin
Wai" style of dressing. Many people, including singers like Cass and Shirley,
imitate her style. Another reason is her singing, many agree that she has good
skills. Even my mother and her friends complimented Faye's live performance at
some show where she sang an old mandarin song called "Boo Liao Chin" (endless
love).

Well, that's it for now!

Faye Fan Forever,

Tom

Wai-keung Lee

Mar 3, 1994, 8:17:27 PM3/3/94
:In article <CM1Ho...@liverpool.ac.uk> qq...@liverpool.ac.uk (Mr. G. Chan) writes:
A:RIG...@DELPHI.COM (ari...@news.delphi.com) wrote:
: are probably tired of watching Sally Yeh, and Sandy Lam all the time
:: (sandy is still thge best, but Sally istoo lod, at least she look sold to
:: me), furthurmore, Vivian Lai, VIvian CHow,Sammi Cheng, SHirely Kwan, and

:I was wondering why no one ever seems to mention Sally Yeh
:when I came across this. She's too old????!!!!!! Well, I don't
:really know anything about H.K. entertainers (lived all my life
:in England and hardly speak any Cantonese) but when I went to
:Hong Kong for the first time last year and saw her on T.V., I
:hought Sally Yeh was the most wonderful thing I had ever seen or
:heard. Is there anyone else out there who likes her, or am I just
:ttoo old for this newsgroup?

Salley is awesome. I think she is the best out there. She sings well in
both manderine and cantonese!!! Hell, she can even sing a little english!!
Remember duet with Tommy Page???!!

Later
Bobby

Wai-keung Lee

Mar 3, 1994, 8:37:19 PM3/3/94

:Ooops... I just forgot who is totally left out of my list. No, not Sandy, but

:this girl (please... the cantonese audience please help me here) whose last name
:is Chen (just like Sarah Chen) and she had been around a while too. Her last
:record, I believe, was "(Red) Tea House"... it's about some dude sitting there
:complaining about lack of women problem, and she was volunteering herself.
:Other works include "Snow Flurrie" (can't spell...) it's about some snowflakes
:falling on the ground that touched off some weird nerve.
:
:Someone out there can help me???

I think you are talking about Priscilla Chan??

Bobby

ari...@news.delphi.com

Mar 3, 1994, 11:15:11 PM3/3/94

Hi y'all,
SInce someone mentioned that Cass and Shirley imitated Faye's
style of dressing. I also want to point out that she has, in fact, set
off a lot of trends in the showbiz itself, particularly among singers.
Here are some examples I noticed.
1) I do not recall atoo many people wearing loads of necklaces, and
ornaments on them before Faye started to do so, then I saw numerous
singers doing the same thing, wearing materisals similar to Faye's.
2) Faye wore her espadrille platform shoes, and started the trend. Sammi
had copied it just recently, even though Faye had worn that in her
100,000 why's album. Some other actresses had done so too.
3) CLogs, another type of shoes.
4) Faye wore an burgundy velvet short-cropped t-shirt look-alike clothing
with a white shirt underneath in tvb's singers' celebration for
anniversary, and recently, one of the member in Grasshoppers had done the
same in the TVB awards.
5) Faye set and tied her hair on two sides, and set off the rtrend of
"childishness."

:) one of many faye's fans

MA JEH-CHUN

Mar 4, 1994, 3:36:53 PM3/4/94
In article <2l6277$m...@ysics.physics.sunysb.edu>,

Wai-keung Lee <wk...@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote:

>Salley is awesome. I think she is the best out there. She sings well in
>both manderine and cantonese!!! Hell, she can even sing a little english!!
>Remember duet with Tommy Page???!!
>
>Later
>Bobby

She can sing good Mandarin 'cause she is from Taiwan originally. She can
sing English because she immigrated from Taiwan to Canada. She can sing
Cantonese without accent...now that's impressive 8-)

Stan

P.S.: BTW, she is from TW right?

Anson Wun

Mar 4, 1994, 5:35:35 PM3/4/94
Dear netters,
If you have been after this thread long enough, you might notice that the
discussion is getting hotter than ever. Sadly, it has been changed from a
happy, constructive discussion to an un-wanted flame, mainly due to some
aggressive posts of certain netters. I admit that my some of my recent
posts had been quite unconsiderate, but that's a response to some posts from
netters whose attitude are even worse than mine. So, if you've already had
enough of this flame, please keep reading the posts with the original
heading. Notice that I have already changed the heading so that netters who
are still interested in the flame can continue to enjoy.

-------

Since you like to "inch" so much, I don't mind sparing some time playing
with you. You *ARE* getting worse. I don't care about personal attacks
anymore, 'coz you start it first. Hard feelings? Who cares. Here we go.

In article <1994Mar3.101935.1@clstac>, <tp...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu> wrote:
>Hello everybody,
>
> Sorry for changing the intention of the post last time; it was for
>nothing but the personal joy and satisfaction

Newsgroups are mainly for interests of a group of people. If you need
personal joy and satisfcation so desprately, why don't you just "lock
yourself in the washroom" <quote from Kit> and EYT.

>of "inch"-ing the person who

You think you are "inch"? Nah... you are just plain annoying. If you only
get " personal joy and satisfaction" from "inching" someone, then you
certainly didn't fulfill the meaning of "inch". Good inching will make very
body laugh and satisfied. Obvioulsy, you are still far from that. But I
guess you are still young; well, keep it up and experience more. Only
annoying people will get "personal staisfaction" from hurting others'
feelings. If you do like "inching" so much, you'd better talk to your admin
and start a new group on "inching", and I will be the first to subscribe.

>criticized my writing
Ah, I *DID NOT* critize your writing. Have I ever mentioned your errors in
your "essay". Nope. What I am critizising is Faye's singing, and you are
not Faye, nor are you her singing. I am just bringing up my own point of view.
I still don't understand why you couldn't accept other people's opinions.
If you can't stand somone discussing your idol, you are not being
objective here. See, even I said that Faye's singing have flaws, I did not
say that all her songs are not worth-listening to. There are good ones,
for sure.

>while he/she can't even write. (no hard feelings,
>alright?!) I'd avoid that in the future. I'll try to make this a constructive
>discussion and be as objective as possible.

You can't prevent someone from posting even is (s)he really can't write. if
you *really* don't understand what (s)he (I) is (am) writing, you won't do any
follow-ups anyway. If you like to critize others' writing that much, why don't
you start a group called alt.bad.writing.critize.tutor . Afterall, not all
netters are lucky to get a free a/c. I won't waste my CPU time checking the
spellings, proof-reading and editing. As long as I've made a point the
people understand it, I don't care about how I wrote. I am not writing an
English exam what-so-ever, and netters won't care about good writings. The
content is all that matters.

>I'd avoid that in the future. I'll try to make this a constructive
>discussion and be as objective as possible.

You don't have to avoid that now, 'coz here's a new thread for people like
you and me. I will be waiting for you to be "constructive and objective as
possible".

Anson
P.S. Again, I didn't check anything in this post.
Good luck with you English tutoring.

Robert H. Wang

Mar 4, 1994, 5:42:40 PM3/4/94
She = Sally Yeh

>She can sing good Mandarin 'cause she is from Taiwan originally. She can
>sing English because she immigrated from Taiwan to Canada. She can sing
>Cantonese without accent...now that's impressive 8-)
>
>Stan
>
>P.S.: BTW, she is from TW right?

Yes she is from Taiwan. Supposedly she also went to Taipei American School
(that makes her an older alum to Ging Chen-Wu... Takeshi I think is his
English name or something... The lastest young stud from Taiwan... Ugh...
Was in my sister's year... She can't believe he became a star either).

I dont' know. I have reservations about Sally because while she sings
good Cantonese, her best songs remain Mandarin ones, which makes her sortof
a fake in terms of a well-rounded Sky Queen.

Ciao,
Rob

Edmund Gin

Mar 5, 1994, 5:16:34 PM3/5/94

In article <2l8d3n$c...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Anson Wun <aw...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:
>Dear netters,
>If you have been after this thread long enough, you might notice that the
>discussion is getting hotter than ever. Sadly, it has been changed from a
>happy, constructive discussion to an un-wanted flame, mainly due to some
>aggressive posts of certain netters. I admit that my some of my recent
>posts had been quite unconsiderate, but that's a response to some posts from
>netters whose attitude are even worse than mine. So, if you've already had
>enough of this flame, please keep reading the posts with the original
>heading. Notice that I have already changed the heading so that netters who
>are still interested in the flame can continue to enjoy.

Hi, there...

Actually, the proper procedure is to x-post to alt.flame (like I did), and
have to followups to alt.flame...then you write in your post, in a
noticeable location, ie. at the top, or within the first page, saying that
you are x-posting to that group. Then, if things get really out of hand,
ie. 200+ posts in 3 days about the same article, containing flame, then
you go out, and propose a new newsgroup, such as (hypothetically)
alt.flame.music.faye-wong.cant.sing, or
alt.flame.flamers.of.faye.die.die.die, and then go through the procedure
of a discussion, and setting up the new alt.newsgroup....easy, no?

Quite honestly, though, I feel that Faye is a good singer (better than a
lot of the trash floating around the entertainment business...there is no
music industry...), and that all of you who think that she is a bad singer
should go and "yak see". 'Nuf for a flamebrand, yet? *grin...

Cheers (or maybe not...),
Edmund

--
Do you like Beyond's music? Wanna find a place on the 'net where you can
get to know others who also enjoy Beyond's music? Join the Beyond Mailing

Anson Wun

Mar 5, 1994, 8:05:05 PM3/5/94
In article <2lb0c2$f...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, Edmund Gin <eg...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:
>Hi, there...
>
>Actually, the proper procedure is to x-post to alt.flame (like I did), and
>have to followups to alt.flame...then you write in your post, in a
>noticeable location, ie. at the top, or within the first page, saying that
>you are x-posting to that group. Then, if things get really out of hand,
>ie. 200+ posts in 3 days about the same article, containing flame, then
>you go out, and propose a new newsgroup, such as (hypothetically)
>alt.flame.music.faye-wong.cant.sing, or
>alt.flame.flamers.of.faye.die.die.die, and then go through the procedure
>of a discussion, and setting up the new alt.newsgroup....easy, no?
Thanks for your suggestion, Edmund.

>Quite honestly, though, I feel that Faye is a good singer (better than a
>lot of the trash floating around the entertainment business...there is no
>music industry...), and that all of you who think that she is a bad singer
>should go and "yak see". 'Nuf for a flamebrand, yet? *grin...

No one ever said Faye is a bad singer, therefore no one should go and "yak
see" (unless you like it as a habit). WHY ARE PEOPLE USING SUCH RUDE WORDS
NOWADAYS? ARE YOU EDUCATED ENOUGH? Geez.
Yes, Faye is a good singer, but compared to a lot of other treasures
floating around, she's still not "the best", as many people claimed.

Anson Wun (red aura)
[**************************************]
[ Anson Wun ]
[ email: aw...@unixg.ubc.ca ]
[ University of British Columbia ]
[ Dept. of Sc., Atmospheric Science ]
[**************************************]

Anson Wun

Mar 5, 1994, 10:28:38 PM3/5/94
Here's an article which I think Kathy Tan wanted to post it initially (but
mailed to me instead). Here's it:

From mai...@goren.u.washington.edu Ukn Mar 5 18:39:08 1994
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 94 18:39:07 -0800
From: Mai Yang <mai...@goren.u.washington.edu>
To: aw...@unixg.ubc.ca

Newsgroups: soc.culture.hongkong.entertainment

>Yes, that song is awesome.
>
>>Faye Fan Forever,
>>
>>Tom.

>And I also hope that all the fans of Faye can really be Faye's fans forever.
>
>Fans of none,
>Anson <red aura>

Sorry to erase but it is getting too long. Gosh you people, stop fighting
over who is the best female. I am a pro-Faye fan and I have pretty much to said about this crap. Faye, Sandy and Sally, all have their own techniques but
it is hard to tell who's better than the other. There so many negative views
on Faye. "She is only popular because of the way she dress" Maybe but I
believed that Faye have something special to be attractive. Charlie, for
example, everybody said that her voice is sweet but what is really behind
those remark, is because she is pretty(which the world will end if she is
pretty). So, all this arguing is unneccessary because they are singers
and each of them have their own fans behind them. For me, Faye sings the
best and everybody have their own remarks but what is there to have when
everybody argues with everybody.

Kathy Tan (I used my aunt's address)

Anson Wun

Mar 5, 1994, 10:39:46 PM3/5/94
From mai...@goren.u.washington.edu Ukn Mar 5 18:39:08 1994:

> Sorry to erase but it is getting too long. Gosh you people, stop fighting
> over who is the best female. I am a pro-Faye fan and I have pretty much to said about this crap. Faye, Sandy and Sally, all have their own techniques but
> it is hard to tell who's better than the other. There so many negative views
> on Faye. "She is only popular because of the way she dress" Maybe but I
> believed that Faye have something special to be attractive. Charlie, for
> example, everybody said that her voice is sweet but what is really behind
> those remark, is because she is pretty(which the world will end if she is
> pretty). So, all this arguing is unneccessary because they are singers
> and each of them have their own fans behind them. For me, Faye sings the
> best and everybody have their own remarks but what is there to have when
> everybody argues with everybody.
>
> Kathy Tan (I used my aunt's address)

Sorry, I don't have any intention to fight over who's the best female
vocal. I (and some other netters) only think that Faye does not sing the
best. It just happened that a certain netter (not me...) kinda' have
doubts about Faye's singing (please refer to the earliest few articles)
and somebody like me who have the same query express our views. I believe
none of us expect so many negative responses with rude comments and
unconsiderate personal attacks. Fans' power are real great, aren't they? :)
Also, I don't think our comments are negative. I believe that no one can
verify these comments except Faye herself.

P.S. I am not anti-Faye either; why do I have to say anything bad about her
then? :(

--
Anson Wun <red aura>

ari...@news.delphi.com

Mar 6, 1994, 5:28:09 PM3/6/94

WHY DON'T WE HAVE A POLL OF YOUR FAVORITE FAYE SONGS NOW?

here's mine:
1) "fragile woman"
2) "miss you night and day"
3) "not made by emotions" (tin shaun but si ching jo) in her "like
wind"album
, remember? the one that only has 5-6 songs in it?
4) "forget you like forget me"
5) "ching beet hard hey" with softhard
6) "lau faye faye"
7) "summer of love"
8) "cold war"
9) "like wind"
10) "rekindle" (chong yin) in her "coming home" album

The precdeing songs are not in order of favoritism.
You don't need to have 10 songs, you can have five, one, or none, but
please don't set up a "most disgusting faye songs "chart. That'll just
lead to more discussion. Actually, that'll be good <shrug>. :)

One of many faye's fan. oh, btw, in "chit chat" awards, I only saw
banners of Faye, no other female singers have that, and the audience
synchronize "faye faye" part of the song, now here we have a female singer
who can do that, I really don't recall any other female singers who has
had such an influence. See ya.

Quach Quy Chi

Mar 6, 1994, 6:47:44 PM3/6/94
By the way...where can I get that song that Faye sings with Soft-Hard?
Who's cd is it on? Thanx!

tp...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu

Mar 7, 1994, 12:33:40 PM3/7/94
In article <2ldldp$a...@news.delphi.com>, ari...@news.delphi.com (ARI...@DELPHI.COM) writes:

> WHY DON'T WE HAVE A POLL OF YOUR FAVORITE FAYE SONGS NOW?

That really sounds like a great idea!!

Sorry, I tried to cut it down, but my list is still quite long:

1) "Yu Fung" (Like Wind)
2) "Lau Faye Faye"
3) "Guay How Fung" (Seasonal Wind)
4) "Jup Mie Bud Fue" (No Regrets) - both versions
5) "Summer of Love"
6) "Lang Chin" (Cold War)
7) "May baan chae" (Last Train)
8) "Dor Duc Tar" (Thanks To Him)
9) "Mong dil ney jerng mong dil ngor" (Forget You Like Forget Me)
10) "Yung yee sao serg dic nuie yun" (Fragile Woman) - both versions
11) "Ching Mud Hard Hey"
12) "Hor Fao Po Gun Ngor" (Couldn't You Hold Me Tight)
13) "Ba Lai Tarp Jim" (Tip Of Eiffel Tower)
14) "Yao Wark" (Temptation)
15) "Dont Sum" (Moved Heart)
16) "Ngor Wing Yuen Jun Sic Ney Ngor"
17) "Yeh Jing Dic Dahn Wong Goon" (Flute of the Quiet Night)
18) "Jern Die" (growing up) & "Do We Really Care"
19) "Miss You Night & Day"
20) "Long Mahn Fung Bo" (Romantic Storm)
21) "Dao Dao Juen" (Turning)
22) "Kisses in the Wind"
23) "Yao Gae Joc Dugn" (Keep Waiting Again)
24) "May Lai Jun Dong" (Beautiful Vibration)
25) "Mo Noy Nah Tin"

> oh, btw, in "chit chat" awards, I only saw
> banners of Faye, no other female singers have that, and the audience
> synchronize "faye faye" part of the song, now here we have a female singer
> who can do that, I really don't recall any other female singers who has
> had such an influence. See ya.

If I was in Hong Kong, I would definitely be one of the people chanting for
her. However, I would've sang the whole song with her. And I would make a black
banner with light reflective words saying "Wing Yuan Oie Ney, Ngor Day Gi Chi
Ney."

Faye Fan Forever,

Tom.

Moo Moo dude

Mar 7, 1994, 12:42:02 PM3/7/94
In article <2l314n$1...@menudo.uh.edu>, st...@Elroy.UH.EDU (Edward Hui)
wrote:

I just received the Faye's Best CD and I too have to agree with you over
the "no cover" format. It completely sucks, but I guess that's the catch
in getting people interested in buying a disc of old tunes. By the way, I
think it's much too early in her career to justify getting a greatest hits
package. Why not wiat a couple of more years, and really compile one that
rocks--perhaps a double CD? Anyhow, there's no substitue for Leslie, it
seems that people lame all over him just because he's "old", and possible
"gay", I don't care, he's a real classic performer.
John

FANS

Mar 7, 1994, 3:04:14 PM3/7/94
In article <chiwai.762997664@jove>, chi...@jove.acs.unt.edu (Quach Quy Chi) writes:
|> By the way...where can I get that song that Faye sings with Soft-Hard?
|> Who's cd is it on? Thanx!

The song is included in the Soft-Hard album called:

"Kwong Bor Dou Fans Sarc Yan See Kin"
(Broadcast Drive Fans Murdering Case)

This album's cover showing Soft-Hard's "beautiful" muscles. Of couse, you
know that it's done by comuter. The lyrics book's background colour is green.

The album was released in last summer.

David Stuart

Mar 7, 1994, 3:34:05 PM3/7/94
In article <1994Mar7.093340.1@clstac>, tp...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu writes:
|> In article <2ldldp$a...@news.delphi.com>, ari...@news.delphi.com (ARI...@DELPHI.COM) writes:
|> >

|> > WHY DON'T WE HAVE A POLL OF YOUR FAVORITE FAYE SONGS NOW?
|> >

|> That really sounds like a great idea!!
|>
|> Sorry, I tried to cut it down, but my list is still quite long:
|>
|> 1) "Yu Fung" (Like Wind)
|> 2) "Lau Faye Faye"
|> 3) "Guay How Fung" (Seasonal Wind)
|> 4) "Jup Mie Bud Fue" (No Regrets) - both versions
|> 5) "Summer of Love"
|> 6) "Lang Chin" (Cold War)
|> 7) "May baan chae" (Last Train)
|> 8) "Dor Duc Tar" (Thanks To Him)
|> 9) "Mong dil ney jerng mong dil ngor" (Forget You Like Forget Me)
|> 10) "Yung yee sao serg dic nuie yun" (Fragile Woman) - both versions
|> 11) "Ching Mud Hard Hey"
|> 12) "Hor Fao Po Gun Ngor" (Couldn't You Hold Me Tight)
|> 13) "Ba Lai Tarp Jim" (Tip Of Eiffel Tower)
|> 14) "Yao Wark" (Temptation)
|> 15) "Dont Sum" (Moved Heart)
|> 16) "Ngor Wing Yuen Jun Sic Ney Ngor"
|> 17) "Yeh Jing Dic Dahn Wong Goon" (Flute of the Quiet Night)
^^^^^

|> 18) "Jern Die" (growing up) & "Do We Really Care"
|> 19) "Miss You Night & Day"
|> 20) "Long Mahn Fung Bo" (Romantic Storm)
|> 21) "Dao Dao Juen" (Turning)
|> 22) "Kisses in the Wind"
|> 23) "Yao Gae Joc Dugn" (Keep Waiting Again)
|> 24) "May Lai Jun Dong" (Beautiful Vibration)
|> 25) "Mo Noy Nah Tin"
|>
|> [Stuff Deleted]
|>
|> Faye Fan Forever,
|>
|> Tom.

You have almost include all of her "hit" songs in your list!!

BTW, many (or almost all) Faye's fans do not know what is the
correct translation of "Darn Wong Goon".(I haven't seen one yet.)

"Dahn Wong Goon" should be _Clarinet_. (Clarinet is classfied as
woodwind musical instrument. It's range is 3.5 octets. Basically,
there are three different sizes known as B-flat, E-flat, and Bass
Clarinet......out of topic) Faye's fans please remember.

KWONG CHUN-KUEN

Mar 7, 1994, 4:43:51 PM3/7/94
>10) "Yung yee sao serg dic nuie yun" (Fragile Woman) - both versions
>
>Tom.

Now theres a REAL fan. Faye only sang the Cantonese version! :-) Cally(sp?) Kwong sang the other.

Gawl Ying-Kit Tam

Mar 7, 1994, 5:02:40 PM3/7/94

there is another new duet between jan and faye in the new softhard mix
album , yes the real expensive one! called tsi yun hay foon faye ( only
because of faye ) if you liked "for you" from the first softhard album
you will probably like this one too!
gawl
.

--
_ \_/ _ \_/ _ \_/ _ \_/ Disclaimer:None of my opinions on the issue
l_l_l_ l_l_l_ l_l_l_ |_|_|_ above reflects my opinion on the issue above

kw...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu

Mar 7, 1994, 6:08:54 PM3/7/94
In article <CMBDp...@ecf.toronto.edu>, kw...@ecf.toronto.edu (KWONG CHUN-KUEN) writes:
>>10) "Yung yee sao serg dic nuie yun" (Fragile Woman) - both versions
> Now theres a REAL fan. Faye only sang the Cantonese version! :-) Cally(sp?) Kwong sang the other.
Well,
The madirin version of this song is in the new Faye Best album.
Ken

KWONG CHUN-KUEN

Mar 7, 1994, 7:09:16 PM3/7/94

Oh. So its the same song? Thats pretty lame. First she doesn't do the
Mandrian version, then someone else did a good job on it and now she jumps
back on the wagon....Well, then again, its probably not her fault.

ari...@news.delphi.com

Mar 7, 1994, 11:07:45 PM3/7/94
kw...@ecf.toronto.edu (KWONG CHUN-KUEN) writes:

No, I think Faye sanf both versions. You probably haven't gotten her new
album "FAYE BEST."

True Faye fan....... :) :) :)

Please people, check your sources before you post.

ari...@news.delphi.com

Mar 7, 1994, 11:19:48 PM3/7/94
chi...@jove.acs.unt.edu (Quach Quy Chi) writes:

>By the way...where can I get that song that Faye sings with Soft-Hard?
>Who's cd is it on? Thanx!

It's in SOfthard's album "gwong ball doe fans shat yun si geen."

It is really a great song!!!

FAn of faye.

Alvin W. Law

Mar 8, 1994, 1:57:18 AM3/8/94
> WHY DON'T WE HAVE A POLL OF YOUR FAVORITE FAYE SONGS NOW?

"Ching Mud Hard Hey" w/ Soft Hard
"Chung Yin"
"Mo Noi Nar Tin"
"Yau Yuen Dik Wa"
<Blind Date>
<Boring Cafe>
<Can You Hold Me Tight>
<Clarinet in Quiet Night>
<Cold War>
<Cute Eyes>
<Drop the Key into the Mailbox>
<Everything>
<Excuse>
<Growing Up>/<Do We Really Care>
<If You Really Love Me>
<Keep Waiting>
<Like Wind>

<Miss You Night & Day>

<Monsoon>
<No Regrets> (Mandarin version)
<Rainy Days Without You>
<Romantic Storm>
<Seduce Me>
<Starting From Tomorrow>
<Still the Old Verses>
<Summer of Love>
<Thanks To Him>
<This... That...>
<Tower Of Eiffel Tower>
<Vulnerable Woman>
--
Alvin W. Law .............................................. Oracle Corporation
Senior Applications Engineer ..................... 300 Oracle Parkway, Floor 6
Manufacturing Applications .......................... Redwood Shores, CA 94065
Email: al...@oracle.com ........... Voice: 1.415.506.3390 . Fax: 1.415.506.7299

kw...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu

Mar 8, 1994, 4:25:39 AM3/8/94
^^^^^^^
Oops! I mean Mandarin, sorry!;P
Ken

FANS

Mar 8, 1994, 8:51:42 AM3/8/94
In article <1994Mar7.2...@bnr.ca>, crl...@bnr.ca (FANS) writes:

|> The song is included in the Soft-Hard album called:
|>
|> "Kwong Bor Dou Fans Sarc Yan See Kin"
^^^^

|> (Broadcast Drive Fans Murdering Case)
|>
|> This album's cover showing Soft-Hard's "beautiful" muscles. Of couse, you
|> know that it's done by comuter. The lyrics book's background colour is green.
|>
|> The album was released in last summer.

Sorry, there is a minor mistake here. The name of the album should be:

"Kwong Bor Dou Yuen Ngarn Sarc Yan See Kin"
(Broadcast Drive Soft-Hard Murdering Case)

Don't Know

Mar 8, 1994, 9:01:05 AM3/8/94
In article <CMBDp...@ecf.toronto.edu>, kw...@ecf.toronto.edu (KWONG CHUN-KUEN) writes:

Does Faye include the Mandarin version in her recent compilation
"Faye Best"?? Can someone check it out??

KWONG CHUN-KUEN

Mar 8, 1994, 9:34:45 AM3/8/94
In article <2lgtmh$1...@news.delphi.com>,

I did! I did! I really really did! Cally Kwong sang the Mandrian version! I even remember talking to a friend
about it. "Back then", she didn't "like" to sing Mandrian or something. Something to do with not wanting a
"mainland-ish" image.

No argue

Mar 8, 1994, 11:07:39 AM3/8/94

Both Cally and Faye sing the Mandarin version of "Fragile Woman".

Cally sang it first sometime last year and the album was released in Taiwan.
Then Faye did it in the latest album. Faye has told the media that she will sing
the Mandarin version but I don't know why she did not take the action.

ly...@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu

Mar 8, 1994, 12:39:33 PM3/8/94
In article <2lba81$f...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, aw...@unixg.ubc.ca (Anson Wun) writes:
> No one ever said Faye is a bad singer, therefore no one should go and "yak
> see" (unless you like it as a habit). WHY ARE PEOPLE USING SUCH RUDE WORDS
> NOWADAYS? ARE YOU EDUCATED ENOUGH? Geez.
> Yes, Faye is a good singer, but compared to a lot of other treasures
> floating around, she's still not "the best", as many people claimed.

Hi Anson,
We all know that you are educated, so would you please stop complaining
what kind of rude words we use. All we want to know is something about Faye,
not how educated you are. Besides, I really like Tom's argument, I think it is
constructive though he used some "RUDE WORDS".

Law.

ari...@news.delphi.com

Mar 8, 1994, 10:40:17 PM3/8/94

HAs anyone listened to Cally's version of the song? I have only listened
to faye's mandarin version , but not CAlly, but I think I saw her singing
that on TV. WHo's better? Be objective!

a fan of faye

D1...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Mar 9, 1994, 1:28:58 AM3/9/94
Hello.. can you tell me which cd the Fragile woman song is on? I also
read from the post that there's a best of Faye WOng cd? is that song there?
and what is the cover like on the cd?
Can you recommend any nice cd of her.. I especially like her slow songs..

d1...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

C.E. Tay

Mar 9, 1994, 5:20:03 AM3/9/94
Somebody said that Sally is a fake sky queen because most of her good
songs are in mandarin!!

How long have you been following Sally?
Are you saying that "ling si sap fun" and "zook fook" (Blessings) are not
her good songs?
Are you saying that "Cheung ye my love goodnight", "wai hor", "mai wak",
"ngoh yu would hai hui" and so on are not her good songs?
These certainly are her popular ones!!\
Recent popular ones are like "ching yan ji gei", "yuen chun si nei", "nei
gum tin yu leave" and "hong chan" are all cantonese songs!!\
It is true that she also has a massive string of mandarin hits but that
does not mean that she is a fake queen!!

tp...@csupomona.edu

Mar 9, 1994, 11:46:41 AM3/9/94
Hello Everybody,

I'm quite surprised that Anson has so much feeling for me. I think he
deserves at least this one last post to HIM.

In article <2l8d3n$c...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>, aw...@unixg.ubc.ca (Anson Wun) writes:

> -------
>
> Since you like to "inch" so much, I don't mind sparing some time playing
> with you. You *ARE* getting worse. I don't care about personal attacks
> anymore, 'coz you start it first. Hard feelings? Who cares. Here we go.
>
> Newsgroups are mainly for interests of a group of people. If you need
> personal joy and satisfcation so desprately, why don't you just "lock
> yourself in the washroom" <quote from Kit> and EYT.

Instead of PLAYING with ME, I suggest that you "lock yourself in the washroom"
(quote from Kit) and EYT too since you are feeling so *HARD* and so pissed.
You might be able to put out the "flame" with your piss.

> You think you are "inch"? Nah... you are just plain annoying. If you only
> get " personal joy and satisfaction" from "inching" someone, then you
> certainly didn't fulfill the meaning of "inch". Good inching will make very
> body laugh and satisfied. Obvioulsy, you are still far from that. But I
> guess you are still young; well, keep it up and experience more. Only
> annoying people will get "personal staisfaction" from hurting others'
> feelings. If you do like "inching" so much, you'd better talk to your admin
> and start a new group on "inching", and I will be the first to subscribe.

Quit contradicting yourself (or are you just being *UNCLEAR* again?). First you
say that "good inching will make (e)very body laugh and satisfied," then you
are saying that "only annoying people will get 'personal staisfaction
(satisfaction)' from hurting others' feeling." (poor baby, did I hurt your
feelings from my "inch"-ing?) Good.

> Ah, I *DID NOT* critize your writing. Have I ever mentioned your errors in
> your "essay". Nope. What I am critizising is Faye's singing, and you are
> not Faye, nor are you her singing. I am just bringing up my own point of view.
> I still don't understand why you couldn't accept other people's opinions.
> If you can't stand somone discussing your idol, you are not being
> objective here. See, even I said that Faye's singing have flaws, I did not
> say that all her songs are not worth-listening to. There are good ones,
> for sure.

Too bad the old posts got erased...sure, you can deny anything you want, accuse
me for doing anything you want; I don't have as much feelings towards you. :(

> You can't prevent someone from posting even is (s)he really can't write. if

Am I preventing YOU from posting? ;\

> you *really* don't understand what (s)he (I) is (am) writing, you won't do any
> follow-ups anyway. If you like to critize others' writing that much, why don't
> you start a group called alt.bad.writing.critize.tutor . Afterall, not all
> netters are lucky to get a free a/c. I won't waste my CPU time checking the
> spellings, proof-reading and editing. As long as I've made a point the
> people understand it, I don't care about how I wrote. I am not writing an
> English exam what-so-ever, and netters won't care about good writings. The
> content is all that matters.

hoeehoie afioeh ioehh flka fieofldkf dlfio fldjklfj eiof djfld;. qurpq kljf nc
vn i ioeioueyr iolk ;j iou ,nc jkdhf kyuryprui ui fkjh fkhiue kjh uie kj
fuikjhuibnjkbnvuhjk iu fhkd fiu efuih fiehf iu kjhfiue jdhfi iu hfh.

epoh uoy dnatsrednu eht tnetnoc (hope you understand the content), BTW I didn't
waste anytime checking the spellings, proof-reading and editing either.
Afterall it's not an English exam, right?

>>I'd avoid that in the future. I'll try to make this a constructive
>>discussion and be as objective as possible.
>
> You don't have to avoid that now, 'coz here's a new thread for people like
> you and me. I will be waiting for you to be "constructive and objective as
> possible".

Boy, I really feel that I'm being "inch"-ed. Hope everybody was laughing and
feeling satisfied or else you'd hurt Anson's feelings.

> Anson
> P.S. Again, I didn't check anything in this post.
> Good luck with you English tutoring.

Tom
P.S. Again, I didn't check anything in this post.
Good luck with you Feeling HARD. @8O

Oh, BTW, this is gonna be the last post I'm writing to YOU. If you are still
feeling hard and hurt, look at your own post for "inch"-ing me and you'd laugh
and feel satisfied.

Quach Quy Chi

Mar 9, 1994, 2:48:02 PM3/9/94
<D1...@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

>Hello.. can you tell me which cd the Fragile woman song is on?

I think it is on the "no regrets" cd. Isn't it?

>I also read from the post that there's a best of Faye WOng cd? is that
>song there? and what is the cover like on the cd? Can you recommend any
>nice cd of her.. I especially like her slow songs..

She does have a compilation cd out. "Jeui Faye" (mandarin "Juei Faye")
It is "The Best of Faye". Fragile woman (Yung yi sau seiu dik neu yan)
is on the cd in mandarin and cantonese. AND IF YOU LIKE HER SLOWS SONGS
THEN YOU ARE IN LUCK BECAUSE 16 OUT OF THE 17 SONGS ARE SLOW EXCEPT FOR
"LAU FAYE FAYE"

>d1...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Enjoy the cd!

Edward Hui

Mar 9, 1994, 4:37:56 PM3/9/94
In article <94068.01...@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>, <D1...@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>Hello.. can you tell me which cd the Fragile woman song is on? I also
That is on the "Coming Home" CD.

>read from the post that there's a best of Faye WOng cd? is that song there?

Yes, as a matter of fact, they have a Cantonese and a Mandarin version.

>and what is the cover like on the cd?

Ha! Ha! There is no "cover" whatsoever! You won't miss it. :)

>Can you recommend any nice cd of her.. I especially like her slow songs..

Try her last 3 CDs, "Coming Home", "Jup Mei But Fui", and
"Hundred Thousand Whys".

Edward Hui

correct

Mar 9, 1994, 5:33:28 PM3/9/94
In article <chiwai.763242482@jove>, chi...@jove.acs.unt.edu (Quach Quy Chi) writes:
|> <D1...@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
|>
|> >Hello.. can you tell me which cd the Fragile woman song is on?
|>
|> I think it is on the "no regrets" cd. Isn't it?

The title of the CD should be "Coming Home" released in summer 1992.

KWONG CHUN-KUEN

Mar 9, 1994, 9:34:18 PM3/9/94
In article <2ljgf1$9...@news.delphi.com>,

Well, Cally have a very different singing style. So you can't really
compare. But since Faye is a native Mandrian speaker, she probably
sound a little 'clearer'.

Teresa Tsang

Mar 10, 1994, 12:17:46 PM3/10/94

the song 'fragile wonan' should be on album 'Coming home' which is her
first album after she done her study in US.

ari...@news.delphi.com

Mar 10, 1994, 9:37:31 PM3/10/94
kw...@ecf.toronto.edu (KWONG CHUN-KUEN) writes:

DOes anyone know if the lyrics of Cally's version and Faye's version are
the same? I don't think so, huh? I really like Faye's mandarin version
too, she sings good mandarin song, her voice is so crystal clear.

Fan of faye

:) :) :)

ari...@news.delphi.com

Mar 11, 1994, 11:40:45 PM3/11/94

Faye, Sandy, and Sally are all GENUINE sky queens!!!!!!

Mai Yang

Mar 12, 1994, 3:19:54 PM3/12/94
In article <2ldldp$a...@news.delphi.com>,
ARI...@DELPHI.COM <ari...@news.delphi.com> wrote:

>One of many faye's fan. oh, btw, in "chit chat" awards, I only saw
>banners of Faye, no other female singers have that, and the audience
>synchronize "faye faye" part of the song, now here we have a female singer
>who can do that, I really don't recall any other female singers who has
>had such an influence. See ya.

I watched "chit chat" and the audience really liked Faye. Anita Mui
was once famous but the audience did not really gave her that much
pride. Faye is the best and her dressing is very unique. I just do not
know how come Faye did not win the "most popular female" but instead
Sally won. I believed that Faye will win the"most popular female" this
year.

Mai Yang

Mar 12, 1994, 3:30:10 PM3/12/94
In article <94068.01...@cunyvm.cuny.edu>, <D1...@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> wrote:
>Hello.. can you tell me which cd the Fragile woman song is on? I also

>read from the post that there's a best of Faye WOng cd? is that song there?
>and what is the cover like on the cd?
>Can you recommend any nice cd of her.. I especially like her slow songs..
>
>d1...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

"Fragile Woman" is in the Best of Faye Wong CD. There is no cover for
that CD except a paper dish but I think you can buy a cover for that even
through I got mines for free. There is also a book of picture of Faye in
it, too. The songs are very good.

Kathy Tan

Larry Ng

Mar 12, 1994, 3:36:01 PM3/12/94
In article <CMBDp...@ecf.toronto.edu>,

KWONG CHUN-KUEN <kw...@ecf.toronto.edu> wrote:
>>10) "Yung yee sao serg dic nuie yun" (Fragile Woman) - both versions
>>
>>Tom.
>
>Now theres a REAL fan. Faye only sang the Cantonese version! :-) Cally(sp?) Kwong sang the other.

Faye did sing a mand. version.... check out the album "Best
Faye" please.

--
Larry -> <-

####################============================================================

Miriam Chan

Mar 12, 1994, 10:38:42 PM3/12/94
wk...@ic.sunysb.edu (Wai-keung Lee) writes:

Quoted :) Salley is awesome. I think she is the best out there. She sings well
Quoted :) both manderine and cantonese!!! Hell, she can even sing a little engl
Quoted :) Remember duet with Tommy Page???!!

Ha, you don't read news very much. Sally is herself Gwei Po !
In her early stage she doesn't even know Cantonese ! :-)

Chan Wai Ming, a Seeker of Something.

Y = 3
M = CS
U = The Chinese University of Hong Kong
E = chan...@cs.cuhk.hk
s91...@mailserv.cuhk.hk
miria...@cuhk.hk
I = WMChan

* Standard Disclaimers Included

Zzzzz.....

Mar 13, 1994, 5:09:50 AM3/13/94
In article <2lt85a$f...@news.u.washington.edu>,
Mai Yang <mai...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> I watched "chit chat" and the audience really liked Faye. Anita Mui
> was once famous but the audience did not really gave her that much
> pride. Faye is the best and her dressing is very unique. I just do not
> know how come Faye did not win the "most popular female" but instead
> Sally won. I believed that Faye will win the"most popular female" this
> year.

Hm, please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Faye did win the Gold
female award in Chit Chat??

--
Sleepy email: sle...@netcom.com

"The man with the proper imagination is able to conceive of any commodity
in such a way that it becomes an object of emotion to him and to those to
whom he imparts his picture, and hence creates desire rather than a mere
feeling of ought." -- Walter Dill Scott

Anson Wun

Mar 13, 1994, 6:35:20 PM3/13/94
In article <1994Mar9.084641.1@clstac>, <tp...@csupomona.edu> wrote:
>Oh, BTW, this is gonna be the last post I'm writing to YOU. If you are still
>feeling hard and hurt, look at your own post for "inch"-ing me and you'd laugh
>and feel satisfied.
Tom:
<sigh> Too bad you're quitting this. Well, it's quite obvious that you've
already went out of thigs to say 'coz your "last" post was pretty much a
copy of mine, only with a few lines added.
Yes, too bad the previous posts were erased. Otherwise you could really
read them carefully again and see if I really did complain anything about
your style, typos and grammar. Oh, one important thing: please don't
capitalize
the words "YOU" and "ME" again unless you're doing a summary of the Bible.
I am not religious but I just can't "afford" people using "YOU" referring to
me or "ME" referring to themselves (you're not a profound character either).
Do you feel that I am "inching" you? Wopps, sorry, I have no intention in
doing that. Also, it's too bad you thought I was "pissed" off by your "inch".
You should try some other flames out there more. I think its you
who are "pissed" first when we critize your idol (Faye Wong).
And the paragraph you got there: is that Mars language? Or did the lights
turn off suddenly? Wow, how amazing.
I am not accusing you of anything: I'm just complaining your hostile
attitude towards others' opinions.
Also, did you notice one very important thing? You are "clever" enough to
avoid flamming me back on those which you can't argue. However, I am
"stupid" enough the discuss with you *point by point* and sometimes I might
even agree with what you said (those earlier ones...). Much to learn in
flamming, man.
If you have anymore complaints, I will be here for you, anytime.
I don't have your original post here, so I can't discuss with you
thoroughly. Too bad (well, most of your post was not original anyway).

Enjoy,
Anson <red aura>

Wai-keung Lee

Mar 15, 1994, 3:07:41 PM3/15/94
In article <CML3GI.7I8@eng_ser1.ie.cuhk.hk: chan...@cs.cuhk.hk (Miriam Chan) writes:

:wk...@ic.sunysb.edu (Wai-keung Lee) writes:
:
:Quoted :) Salley is awesome. I think she is the best out there. She sings well
:Quoted :) both manderine and cantonese!!! Hell, she can even sing a little engl
:Quoted :) Remember duet with Tommy Page???!!
:
:
: Ha, you don't read news very much. Sally is herself Gwei Po !
:In her early stage she doesn't even know Cantonese ! :-)

:
:
:--
:Chan Wai Ming, a Seeker of Something.
I know, but she sings well enough for a lot of people now!
I know she didn't know cantonese early, thus the acent.
By the way ... what is "Gwei Po"??