Hawaii's Youth -- Checkers & Pogo

Jon K. Yim

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Aloha, folks...

Just wanted to share with you something that really surprised me...seems

a while ago my younger sister (who's in her late 20's) was talking about

how kid's TV in Hawaii has changed over the years. She mentioned how a
few generations of keikis missed the fun of the old Checkers & Pogo show

on KGMB that aired during the late 60's thru the 70's.

I remember as a kid growing up in Wahiawa & Ewa Beach, my younger
brothers, sisters & myself would rush home before 3pm, drop all of our
schoolbooks & make a mad dash to the tube to watch Checkers & Pogo.
>From 3 to 5 o'clock, the world didn't matter...C&P were on. They had
games, prizes, cartoons & they two haole guys being just plain goofy.

Sure, a lot of that is pretty lame by today's TV standards, but it was a

show. Not just a show, but THE show!! Over at KHVH (later KITV), they
had "Captain Honolulu;" later transmogrified into "Rocketship
4"...equally cheesy & lame, but fun nonetheless.

Mel

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <nortle-891...@news.lava.net>, "Jon K. Yim"
<jy...@san.rr.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to share with you something that really surprised me...seems
> a while ago my younger sister (who's in her late 20's) was talking about
> how kid's TV in Hawaii has changed over the years. She mentioned how a
> few generations of keikis missed the fun of the old Checkers & Pogo show
> on KGMB that aired during the late 60's thru the 70's.

Yep I used to watch Checkers and Pogo all the time. They had some cool
cartoons like Speed Racer, Princess Knight, Captain Scarlet and The
Thunderbirds on that show....

> Over at KHVH (later KITV), they
> had "Captain Honolulu;" later transmogrified into "Rocketship
> 4"...equally cheesy & lame, but fun nonetheless.

Yep with Sargent Sacto... that is where I first saw The Three Stooges.
They also ran the Hercules cartoons, possibly Astro Boy and a slew of Hana
Barbera titles like Yogi Bear and Augie Daddy.

I remember seeing my first color cartoon on Captain Honolulu. I think it
was Sinbad the Sailor... and Ruff and Ready.

NO NEW TAXES HAWAII! http://www.lava.net/~macpro/tax1.html

Helen Rapozo

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

On 31 Mar 1998, Jon K. Yim wrote:

> Just wanted to share with you something that really surprised me...seems
> a while ago my younger sister (who's in her late 20's) was talking about
> how kid's TV in Hawaii has changed over the years. She mentioned how a
> few generations of keikis missed the fun of the old Checkers & Pogo show
> on KGMB that aired during the late 60's thru the 70's.
>

> I remember as a kid growing up in Wahiawa & Ewa Beach, my younger
> brothers, sisters & myself would rush home before 3pm, drop all of our
> schoolbooks & make a mad dash to the tube to watch Checkers & Pogo.
> From 3 to 5 o'clock, the world didn't matter...C&P were on. They had
> games, prizes, cartoons & they two haole guys being just plain goofy.
>
> Sure, a lot of that is pretty lame by today's TV standards, but it was a

> show. Not just a show, but THE show!! Over at KHVH (later KITV), they

> had "Captain Honolulu;" later transmogrified into "Rocketship
> 4"...equally cheesy & lame, but fun nonetheless.

Local TV programming for kids has changed thru the years, I believe
a person named Chaz who wears his baseball cap backwards (minus
a frying pan), pops in during commerical breaks on KFVE (and/or KHNL)
telling kids about the station's kids club or "cool" things to do
is the only thing that comes close.

To do something like Checkers & Pogo today would require stuff like
money, space and talent to pull it off it such that (a) make it sucessful,
(b) make it unique enough such that the old timers like us
say it's not a rip-off from C&P (much like Star Trek and Star
Trek: The Next Generation) and (c) having the kids and adults enjoy it.

Honolulu Community College Ph#: (808) 845-9202
874 Dillingham Blvd FAX#: (808) 845-9173
Honolulu, HI 96817 cs_r...@hccadb.hcc.hawaii.edu

Too early to say "Danger Will Robinson!, Danger!".

George F. Lee

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

>> From 3 to 5 o'clock, the world didn't matter...C&P were on.

And then the Flintsones were on at 5pm. I do remember it on prime time
right after the news, but that was first run then. I do indeed have still
have my purple, orange and white C&P 'goody bag'. Any remember Wigwam? How
about the superslide?

Talofa

Helen Rapozo

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

And Gillian's Island at 5:30 pm! I remember both Wigwam and the
superslide but never really seen it up close (something like about
80 to 90 miles of ocean to swim across).

ElRoi1811

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

>. Any remember Wigwam? How
>> about the superslide?

There was a Wigwam even in Hilo! When I was young we were on Oahu then, i
remember the Superslide..... in fact I rememebr they used to show C&P on it
sometimes. We had a fun thread on C&P a little while ago. Look it up, there was
lots of info there... but this is fun too.
I remember they came (C&P) to a shopping center somewhere in Kaneohe and did a
live show... they drove up in the checkered cadillac. They played games and I
remember it as being fun.
I also remember you could sign up to be on the TV show at different area
stores....apparently you put your name in a box and they would call you. I
always wanted to stick my hand in the penny jar if i was to be chosen for
"Merry Un-Birthday" . How DID that song go? "A very merry unbirthday to you,to
you, a very merry unbirthday to you, (more lyrics argggh.... something
something "someone" and I THINK "That someone might be you, a very merry
unbirthday to you..." anyway the things that clog up my head. enjoying the
thread keep it going!

Larry-boy

SDSA...@juno.com

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Actually it was the C&P Sky Slide...they had one over in Waipahu on
Farrington Hwy near the old Royal Sunset Drive In Theatre (there's
another memory!!)

Some of the cartoons C&P used to show were (from memory):

- George of the Jungle
- Gigantor (or in Japanese, "Tsetsujin 28" ["Ironman 28"])
- Thunderbirds
- Captain Scarlet
- Speed Racer
- Princess Knight (Japanese version: "Ribon no Kishi")
- Popeye
- Anything from the Looney Tunes library

Then C&P got hooked-up with the Banana Splits...that was another
afternoon altogether!!

Dunno if anyone at Lee Enterprises or Heftel Broadcasting ever
bothered to archive any of the shows...Hawaii's kids of today have
missed out on some great afternoon fun!!

Jon

Duke

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

> SDSA...@juno.com wrote:
>
> Actually it was the C&P Sky Slide...they had one over in Waipahu on
> Farrington Hwy near the old Royal Sunset Drive In Theatre (there's
> another memory!!)

I loved that slide, especially at night (maybe with a trip to the
Leonard's truck by the Gems)...but did you ever accidentally rub your
arm or hand on the slide as you were going down? Oweeeee!

Duke

Message has been deleted

George F. Lee

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

I just wanna know, who might have the albatross?

talofa

Robert Morita

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

I'm 33 years old and I remember going with my parents to Tiki Tops in
Kaneohe (now it's a Flamingo's), not just to eat, but to get my Checkers &
Pogo magazine which had the lucky number stamped on it. Once a day or maybe
a week, a stuffed bird whose feet were nailed to a sign would come falling
from above on a string revealing the lucky number. I sort of remember some
"dollars" that you could get and redeem for prizes from a treasure chest of
toys at Spencecliff restaurants. Anybody remember that?

Jon K. Yim wrote:

> Aloha, folks...

Jon K. Yim

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

So what about Superspy McPig (aka KGMB 590AM deejay Jerry "Kim Chee" Cox) &
Professor Fun (kinda like Hawaii's version of "K-Mar, the Discount
Magician")??

C&P also had their famous "On The Go" series...taking kids to places like
Love's Bakeries, the Zoo, Frito-Lay...great stuff.

Again, a pity that none of their stuff (to my knowledge) was ever archived
by KGMB on video tape/kinescope for times like these...

Jon

head rush

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

That is the main problem why our youth today are deprived. With C&P, there
would be happiness throughout the land, shootings would cease, teenage
pregnancy would decrease, drug use would reduce, homework would be done,
chores would be finished, curfews would be needless, metal detectors in
schools would be out of use, infanticide would stop, and plain-old tantrums
would end.

Then again...that's what they said about Leave It To Beaver.

George F. Lee

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

>So what about Superspy McPig (aka KGMB 590AM deejay Jerry "Kim Chee" Cox)

"Springtime for superspy and pigstyvannia, BWAHAHAHA!................"

talofa

BETH SAURER

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

Great thread, gang! :)

......Speaking of Checkers and Pogo, remember that man all dressed in
black with the unique (fuzzy?) black hat? He had a moustache and
glasses and usually appeared in the window or coming through the
door......and we all laughed every time he got hit in the face with a
pie! :) What was his name? Wasn't he supposed to be Russian?

......For one of my birthdays my Mom arranged a party for us at the
Checkers and Pogo show. I was fortunate enough to be chosen to play one
of their games on TV with a few other kids (grabbing the most pennies,
perhaps?). After the game, when Pogo found out that it was my birthday,
he told me that he had a special present for me and gave me a kiss on
the cheek. When we were off the air I went up and asked Pogo for my
special present....he told me that my present was the kiss he gave me!
:)

........How did their theme song go? I remember the video of Checkers
and Pogo driving down (Kapiolani Boulevard?) in Mr. Checkers'
convertible Cadillac.....but I don't remember the words to their song.

......I also remember that big tree trunk in the middle of the
stage.........and didn't Checkers and Pogo show a program with a big
hippo named "Henrietta Hippo"? She was big and cute! :) Was this the
"New Zoo Revue"? (coming right at you!)

.......(Sigh!) All of these good memories make me want to go pull out
that old Checkers and Pogo coloring book I have around here somewhere
and color in Pogo's green "Peter Pan" hat with the red feather and color
in Mr. Checker's shirt and top hat band with hot pink checkers! :)
Thanks for the memories! :) ......(These were the days when Yick
Lung's yellow snack packs cost only a quarter and Redondo's hot dogs had
that commercial with the catchy song which would make any kid hungry for
bright red hot dogs!)

Me ke aloha pumehana,

Beth* *;)

P.S.

Did anyone else get Pogo-Poge flashbacks when "Morgan White" did
those American Savings Bank(?) commercials in the 80's? :)

P.S.S.

Hey Jon! Remember Professor Fun's "T.V. Pow" video game?
Heh-heh!! I was in high school by this time, but my younger sister won
the big (weekly or monthly?) prize by saying "pow" into the telephone
constantly and "shot down" the most "alien spaceships"! :) She won an
Atari video game player....."the" toy of the time period! :)

Spydaman

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

BETH SAURER wrote:

> Great thread, gang! :)
>
> ......Speaking of Checkers and Pogo, remember that man all dressed in
> black with the unique (fuzzy?) black hat? He had a moustache and
> glasses and usually appeared in the window or coming through the
> door......and we all laughed every time he got hit in the face with a
> pie! :) What was his name? Wasn't he supposed to be Russian?

None other than SUPERSPY McPIG!

> ........How did their theme song go? I remember the video of Checkers
> and Pogo driving down (Kapiolani Boulevard?) in Mr. Checkers'
> convertible Cadillac.....but I don't remember the words to their song.

"Here comes Checkers, here comes Checkers, CHECKERS AND POGO POGE!....
Dooooo.... doodoodoodoodooo.... (and so on) Ho, make A :)

> ......I also remember that big tree trunk in the middle of the
> stage.........and didn't Checkers and Pogo show a program with a big
> hippo named "Henrietta Hippo"? She was big and cute! :) Was this the "New Zoo Revue"? (coming right at you!)

Same channel, different show (don't Forget Freddie the Frog)

> .......(Sigh!) All of these good memories make me want to go pull out
> that old Checkers and Pogo coloring book I have around here somewhere
> and color in Pogo's green "Peter Pan" hat with the red feather and color
> in Mr. Checker's shirt and top hat band with hot pink checkers! :)
> Thanks for the memories! :) ......(These were the days when Yick
> Lung's yellow snack packs cost only a quarter and Redondo's hot dogs had
> that commercial with the catchy song which would make any kid hungry for
> bright red hot dogs!)

Yes, the good old days.... nothing comperable for my kids to watch
today, Only that Power Ranger crap, which my kids are too smart to
watch.
> Spydaman

MAKAHALA

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

Does anyone else remember the Exchange juice commercial-the one with the catchy
tune that everybody played on their ukulele? Yup grape-exchange was the way to
end your afternoon day with Checker's and Pogo.

--kauokalani moikeha
along==========| |=============spreckles ditch - wailuku, maui

Robert Morita

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

He also portrayed "Sylvester (whose uncle was KGMB owner Cec Heftel)". He was
always threatening to run to his Uncle Cec if Checkers & Pogo caught him doing
anything wrong. It took me a few years to realize what he was talking about.

Nuuanu Menehune

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

Here comes Checkers
Here comes Checkers
Here comes Checkers

. . And Pogo Poge!

Yoda

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

In article <nortle-891...@news.lava.net>,
maka...@aol.com (MAKAHALA) wrote:

Makahala, take a look at this post made by Elvis himself <g>:

http://x10.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=328694399&CONTEXT=891637900.265879871&hit
num=201

Aloha,
Yoda

Jon K. Yim

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

For those of you who lost all your back issues of C&P Magazine (with the
"lucky number" printed on the cover)... I've found a link:

http://spectra.eng.hawaii.edu/Alumni/Trivia/CheckPogo/Pics/pogoB1.jpg

Makes the kid in you wanna cry...

Jon Yim
KUSI-TV, San Diego

Spydaman

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

Aloha Jon,
Mahalo for sharing this small but important part of a local kids past.
I forgot all about da magazine... I used to get mine at the Kailua
Holiday Mart. Never had the right lucky number though, but was always
excited waiting for them to call the numbas. Thanks again.
Spydaman

Sharon Westfall

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

In article <nortle-891...@news.lava.net>,
nuuanum...@hawaii.rr.com says...
:
:Here comes Checkers

:Here comes Checkers
:Here comes Checkers
:
: . . And Pogo Poge!

Oooo, it's Jingo time!

Springtime,
for Superspy
and .......

-------

The Exchange,
goes down, down, down
and around, round,
in your .......

-------

Come today at Long's Drugs,
where they make the price behave
All your neighbors shop at Longs,
where ............

--
*************** PIYO __ PIYO *********************
* Sharon Westfall / \ soc.culture.hawaii !!! *

Ilene

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

> >> Again, a pity that none of their stuff (to my knowledge) was ever
> archived
> >> by KGMB on video tape/kinescope for times like these...

KGMB definitely has some of the old episodes of Checkers and Pogo.
I've seen it. Don't know how many or which ones but I did see a
portion of "Checkers and Pogo on the Go" segment that their production
people slapped together a few years ago.

For what it's worth, they also have some old wrestling tapes too; the
Shiek, Chief Billy White Wolf, Jim Hady, and the gang.

--
alooooooooooo wayne ooooooooooha for now,
i...@ukulele.com

George F. Lee

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

"the exchange goes round, round, round, in your glass, glass,
glass,........thats the orangeade called exchange".

sometin' else about tum, tum, tum, and yum, yum, yum. ho' musta been my ill
spent yout'

talofa

BigNavyGuy

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

Was the superslide called "sky-slide"? They had one in Waipahu...

BigNavyGuy

BigNavyGuy

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

I remember the Checkers and Pogo magazine for kids.they gave them out at
Wigwam. Inside, they had a coupon for a free ride down the skyslide, (was
across the street from the royal sunset drive-in, Ewa from McDonalds) anyway,
each ride costs 10 cents but no mo money so we used to take a whole bunch of
magazines and rip out the coupons so we can ride for free all day.......
(i'm showing my age)
BigNavyGuy

BigNavyGuy

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

>The Exchange,
>goes down, down, down
>and around, round,
>in your .......

tum, tum, tum,
makes your mid, think, yum, yum ,yum
of an orangeade called exchange......

(this product is from Ontario, California, but I have never seen it sold
anywhere except in Hawaii)

>Come today at Long's Drugs,
>where they make the price behave
>All your neighbors shop at Longs,
>where ............

all Hawaii saves! more than just a drugstore.....
(thousands of things, galore!)
there mighty Long on value at LONGS DRUGS STORE!

Don't forget:

Yum, Yum, Yick Lung!
Yum Yum, Yick Lung!
I like the Flavor of Yick Lung!

ElRoi1811

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

>sometin' else about tum, tum, tum, and yum, yum, yum. ho' musta been my =
ill
>spent yout'

"The Exchange=AE goes down down down
And around 'round 'round
In your tum tum tum
Makes your mind
Think Yum yum yum
That orangeade called exchange=AE"

Now try to get that song out of your mind!!! No can!!!

ElRoi1811

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

Okay like cry fo' real???

http://spectra.eng.hawaii.edu/Alumni/Trivia/CheckPogo/Pics/

Get about 20 pictures of C&P all from the magazine apparently, Thanks to the
poster earlier who turned me on to this site... I just traced it back and
found CHOKE!!!
Now I like find out ehat this ALUMNI TRIVIA is al labout.. stay tuned...

ElRoi1811

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

http://spectra.eng.hawaii.edu/Alumni/Trivia/trivia.html

Okay, heres questions about old hanabata days Hawaii... get pictures too.. and
they have the EXCHANGE song too!!!

Spydaman

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

Used to have a Sky Slide at Gibsons Mapunapuna too. Dats da one we went
to, closer to home (Kailua).
Spy

Yoda

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

i...@ukulele.com (Ilene) wrote:

> For what it's worth, they also have some old wrestling tapes too; the
> Shiek, Chief Billy White Wolf, Jim Hady, and the gang.

NOBODY could survive "Da Splash" from Curtis "Da Bull" Iaukea! <g>

Yoda

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

elro...@aol.com (ElRoi1811) wrote:

> "The Exchange=AE goes down down down
> And around 'round 'round
> In your tum tum tum
> Makes your mind
> Think Yum yum yum
> That orangeade called exchange=AE"
>
> Now try to get that song out of your mind!!! No can!!!

Hana hou! Everybody sing,

Aji aji ajinomoto,
Aji aji ajinomoto,
Aji aji ajinomoto,
A-Ji-No-Mo-To! ;^)

Jon K. Yim

Apr 5, 1998, 4:00:00 AM4/5/98

For those of you who missed the Sky Slide...here's a link to a page from the
C&P magazine!!!

http://spectra.eng.hawaii.edu/Alumni/Trivia/CheckPogo/Pics/pogo10.jpg

Also, the C&P theme song's lyrics were:

"Here comes Checkers...
Here comes Checkers...
Checkers!!!
And Pogo Poge!!"

Unfortunately, the only TV kiddie shows I worked on during my career were
"Kiddie Kapers with Lionel Lion" on FEN-Okinawa (Armed Forces TV). We had
cheesy cartoons, live kids, but (unfortunately) no prizes. It was in a
foreign country, y'know...but the young ones had fun...and so did the
kids....

Spencer & Miyuki

Apr 5, 1998, 4:00:00 AM4/5/98

ElRoi1811 wrote:

> "The Exchange=AE goes down down down
> And around 'round 'round
> In your tum tum tum
> Makes your mind
> Think Yum yum yum
> That orangeade called exchange=AE"
>
> Now try to get that song out of your mind!!! No can!!!

Eh you buggah! Mah brains stuck now! On topadat now, I remember
all da fermented cans of Exchange we wen buy. 8( Das wai wen
switch to Exchange Grapeade, yeah? 8)

Spencer

Robert Morita

Apr 5, 1998, 4:00:00 AM4/5/98

Wasn't the Mapunapuna skyslide orange and the Waipahu one blue? I
didn't know that there was an Ewa one.

Charles Schmidling

Apr 5, 1998, 4:00:00 AM4/5/98

Jon K. Yim <jy...@san.rr.com> wrote in article
<nortle-891...@news.lava.net>...

> For those of you who lost all your back issues of C&P Magazine (with the
> "lucky number" printed on the cover)... I've found a link:
>
> http://spectra.eng.hawaii.edu/Alumni/Trivia/CheckPogo/Pics/pogoB1.jpg

Cute. Forgot what they looked like - more purged brain cells. Never
collected the mags. Don't even know if they were available on the outer
islands.

Look here for the index of the pictures:

http://spectra.eng.hawaii.edu/Alumni/Trivia/CheckPogo/Pics.html

Has other trivia stuff if you want to look around.

Fire Marshal

Apr 5, 1998, 4:00:00 AM4/5/98

The song is correct except that there were two verses=A0 You have the 2nd v=
erse.=A0
The first verse is very similiar except that instead of "in your tum tum tu=
m" it
is " in your glass glass glass"

Remember that commercials were longer than they are now so they could get a=
way
with longer songs.

Fire Marshal

The exchange goes round round round
and down down down
in your glass glass glass
makes your mind
think yum yum yum
It's that Orangeade called Exchange

The exchange goes round round round
and down down down
in your tum tum tum
makes your mind
think yum yum yum
It's that Orangeade called Exchange

Duke

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

Still get the "Manapua Man?" When I was a kid in Pearl City, he drove
around in a little station wagon with PA speakers on the roof, playing
the theme from "Hawaii 5-0," selling manapua. You could always hear him
coming. Anyone remember him?

Duke

GAPEEPS

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

this whole subject sent me on a fantastic flashback!

wasn't the skyslide at the "Mapunapuna Pa'a Street store"? Coming from the Big
Island that was the big deal to go to the sky slide in Honolulu! When we went
home that's all we could talk about! And I did touch the side of the skyslide
going down on a hot summer day - I still have the scar to remember it by!

And not to brag - but my sister worked at a restaurant that sold S & S saimin
and brought home all the bags for me to send in to Checkers & Pogo - and yes, I
did win a free trip to Disneyland with them!

oh, yeah - and I was on the Bozo show too, I got picked to be the helper and
won all kind of cool toys! Half of them we lost in the mountain apple tree in
my grandparents back yard! (What the hell did they think local kids was going
to do with a boomerang?!)

lisa

BigNavyGuy

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

gapeeps wrote:

>- and I was on the Bozo show too, I got picked to be the helper and
>won all kind of cool toys!

yes, and you were picked by bozo going around and around saying:

BOZO, BOZO
KAZZAM, KAZZEE
BUTCH OR BELINDA,
WHO WOULD IT BE?

BigNavyGuy

BigNavyGuy

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

Duke wrote:

No, but in Pearl City, (Manana, Holiday City and Hale Ola and the USMC housing
area used to have a ice cream lady..her name was Naz, she was so rip off! The
Tootsie pop that supposed to sell for 5 cents, she sold for 12 cents.....we
used to stone her truck.....

BigNavyGuy

Nuuanu Menehune

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

GAPEEPS wrote in message ...

>oh, yeah - and I was on the Bozo show too,

And don't forget Billy Boy Moonster with Emme Tomimbang as his helper.

Sensei Ray

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

On 4 Apr 1998 23:20:01 GMT, Yoda <hau...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hana hou! Everybody sing,
>
> Aji aji ajinomoto,
> Aji aji ajinomoto,
> Aji aji ajinomoto,
> A-Ji-No-Mo-To! ;^)

Hahahahahaha......ho....da memories....
I even remembah how da song go.....

You know....when I was a kid, I always wanted to ask my mom:

"Ma.....how cum Aji no mo toe?"

Running, grinning, and ducking.....

Sensei Ray

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

On 2 Apr 1998 00:35:02 GMT, SDSA...@juno.com wrote:

>Some of the cartoons C&P used to show were (from memory):
>
>- George of the Jungle
>- Gigantor (or in Japanese, "Tsetsujin 28" ["Ironman 28"])
>- Thunderbirds
>- Captain Scarlet
>- Speed Racer

BTW....which channel used to show the Japanese monster movies every
week during the 70's? I remember I used to rush home from school so
that I could watch my favorite Godzilla film. I used to love watching
Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra. Also, the villians would have such
stupid names like "King Ghidrah" and "Mecha-Godzilla."

Sensei Ray

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

On 4 Apr 1998 11:20:01 GMT, i...@ukulele.com (Ilene) wrote:

>For what it's worth, they also have some old wrestling tapes too; the
>Shiek, Chief Billy White Wolf, Jim Hady, and the gang.

My favorite was"The Missing Link".....whoooooooaaaaaa yeeeeaaaaahhhh.

Ilene

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

In article <nortle-891...@news.lava.net>, r...@hpo.net says...

> On 4 Apr 1998 23:20:01 GMT, Yoda <hau...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hana hou! Everybody sing,
> >
> > Aji aji ajinomoto,
> > Aji aji ajinomoto,
> > Aji aji ajinomoto,
> > A-Ji-No-Mo-To! ;^)
>
> Hahahahahaha......ho....da memories....
> I even remembah how da song go.....

How about the "Sunstar" toothpaste song? "Sunstar" Strawberry and
"Sunstar" Banana.

ElRoi1811

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

>>For what it's worth, they also have some old wrestling tapes too; the
>>Shiek, Chief Billy White Wolf, Jim Hady, and the gang.
>
>My favorite was"The Missing Link".....whoooooooaaaaaa yeeeeaaaaahhhh.

I still have my 8x10s (autographed) from those days....

hanabatas
Larry-boy
who knows how and where to pick the biggest opihi

Yoda

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

d...@pacbell.net wrote:

> Still get the "Manapua Man?" When I was a kid in Pearl City, he drove
> around in a little station wagon with PA speakers on the roof, playing
> the theme from "Hawaii 5-0," selling manapua. You could always hear him
> coming. Anyone remember him?
>
> Duke

Not that one, but the old manapua man I remember as a runny-nosed keed in da
olden days, used to *walk* his wares around yelling, "Manapua!!!
Pepeiao!!!(sp)," down by Miller Street across from Queen's Hospital with a
long pole balanced across his shoulders that had two "hot pails" dangling at
the ends that contained the onolicious morsels...<g>

Ernest J Dumont, Jr.

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

I used to love the C&P show! The sky-slide skits, the Merry, merry
un-birthday song and the Penny jar. Oh, the hanabata days were so good
fun yeah!!

DJXPDITE

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

Oh Boy!!!

This thread is bringing back mega memories!!!! I hope I wasn't the only one to
try and beat the kids on tv with the cracker/whistle contest :-) I remember
getting my crackers ready all the time!!!!

And by the way....been meaning to get this off my chest for a while, the "Power
Rangers" are just a rip off of "our" "Go-Rangers"...remember????

Same time as:
Kikaida
Robocon
Rainbow man
01
Diamond Eye
Kamen Rider V3

Well, you know :-)

thanks everyone for a great trip down memory lane!!!

Aloha & God bless,
Greg

Yoda

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

In article <nortle-892...@news.lava.net>,
djxp...@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

> Oh Boy!!!
>
> This thread is bringing back mega memories!!!! I hope I wasn't the only one
> try and beat the kids on tv with the cracker/whistle contest :-) I remember
> getting my crackers ready all the time!!!!
>
> And by the way....been meaning to get this off my chest for a while, the
"Power
> Rangers" are just a rip off of "our" "Go-Rangers"...remember????
>
> Same time as:
> Kikaida
> Robocon
> Rainbow man
> 01
> Diamond Eye
> Kamen Rider V3

Wow! I missed out on all that good stuff! I was too busy outside playing
barefoot touch-football on the asphalt pavement of our street. I remember
being able to easily walk barefoot over sharp and jagged `a`a lava rock at
Haleiwa Beach Park. The bottom of my feet looked like thick, distressed
leather.

Now, if I step on a grain of rice -- OWEEE!!! <g>

ElRoi1811

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

speaking of kiddie kine stuff....
I remember the banana splits came to Hawaii,.. and to get tickets you had to
fill up a half gallon meadow gold milk carton with litter you had picked up,
take the rubbish to a fire station and they would give you tickets.... you
guessed it, like a babooze there I was picking up opala. Was a good show
tho... all a kid could have desired in live entertainment.......
remember "Danger Island"? With that silly guy who wouldnt talk.. all he would
say is something like "Oh Oh Chango!!!!!!!".. I know this wasnt a local program
but seemed local to me with the island setting like Gilligans Island gone
terribly wrong...
anyway dat all folks

Larry-boy

JeffHawaii

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

In article <nortle-892...@news.lava.net>, elro...@aol.com (ElRoi1811)
writes:

>remember "Danger Island"? With that silly guy who wouldnt talk.. all he would
>say is something like "Oh Oh Chango!!!!!!!".. I know this wasnt a local
>program
>but seemed local to me with the island setting like Gilligans Island gone
>terribly wrong...

and Jan Michael Vincent starred! (Only he went by "Michael Vincent" then -
maybe he knew how bad of a show it was! ;-))
Aloha & mahalo,
Jeff Beard
Aiea, Hawaii

BETH SAURER

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

> And by the way....been meaning to get this off my chest for a while,
the "Power
> Rangers" are just a rip off of "our" "Go-Rangers"...remember????
>
> Same time as:
> Kikaida
> Robocon
> Rainbow man