Stephan Bacoyanis, Capt. of the SS Washington, 1923

nona....@latimes.com

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

I am a researcher at the Los Angeles Times looking for information on or
the descendants of Stephan Bacoyanis, the captain of the SS Washington. On
July 1, 1923 the SS Washington was the first ship to arrive at Ellis Island
from Constantinople and Piraeus due in large part to the efforts and
ingenuity of the Captain. We believe Capt. Bacoyanis was an American citizen
born in Greece. He is central to a story we are doing about the immigrants
who came to America aboard the SS Washington on that day. Any information or
assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you
may be able to provide. Please reply to: nona....@latimes.com

Nona Yates

george apollo

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Hi dear Nona Darlin',
we like especially what you are doing and I can try to help you some
if you like, but I have a job too, you know....
Anyway....

You must find where Mr. Bacoyannis comes from,
you probably need to know to spell his name correctly...two n's - plus
the c is probably a "k", first name is pretty sure Stephanos, so now
maybe there is an immigration office in the US, where you probably can
find out, where he comes from...
Greece is a small country, but big enough to lose somebody...
Greek white pages can be found at : www.otenet.gr, I think it is in
english too...
Bakoyannis or Bakoyiannis or Bacoy....is pretty common name though...
Actually there was some greek parlamentarian named Pavlos Bakoyiannis
shot and killed 5 or more yrs. ago. His wife's and daughter of ex-
prime minister of Greece Konstantinos Mitsotakis name is Dora
Bakoyianni and belongs to New Democracy Party.
Maybe you could post a small ad in a newspaper to find relatives, not
too many people come to this newsgroup and your chances are very low
here...
Good places would be especially the Sunday newspapers, like To Vima
or Kathimerini, I think they have something like joint venture with
Int. Herald Tribune or daily Ta Nea or for Northern Greece, where I am
located Makedonia (Sunday), Aggelioforos....
I guess I could initiate smtg like that...
If lastly your newspaper allows some small fee, I can ask around to
get you a journalist to make enquieries upon the things you want to
know...greek young journalists don't require much cash and there is
some qualified people here too...

Well,
Sincerely,
George Apollo - Greece