Can You Identify What These Are?

Pietro E Reyes, III

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these are
and what they represented for that particular generation. Some are long
gone while others are still around. For those who remember more, please
feel free to add to this list.

For those who grew up overseas (not in the Philippines) and wish to find
out more about the country your parents (and possibly, your
grandparents) left behind, you can printout this list and ask your
parents (and grandparents) what these are and, more importantly, how
these represented the generation in which your parents grew up. These
are only a few "memory hooks" but your parents (and grandparents) will
probably come up with more once they get started...

Tancho Tique

Three Flowers

Superman

Elephant (or Lion) Katol

Yco

R M Manlapat

Gulapa

del Rosario

Elpo

Low Waist

lawlaw

Continental

Banlon

Niknik

Bangbang

Sakbayan

Velosolex

Lambretta

Reddy Kilowatt

Radiowealth

Philco

Boie

Everlast

Gregg

Berg's

Aguinaldo's

La Estrella del Norte

Hickock's

Sison

Bireley's

Underwood

P B Dionisio

Talk of the Town

Brown Derby

Bayside

Bulakena

San Miguel (Tarlac)

Duckpins

Tawag ng Tanghalan

Sebya, Mahal Kita

Breakwater

Intramuros

Raon

Lourdes

La Loma

Marikina

Romeo Arenzana

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Pietro E Reyes, III wrote:

> For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
> take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these are
> and what they represented for that particular generation. Some are long
> gone while others are still around. For those who remember more, please
> feel free to add to this list.
>
> For those who grew up overseas (not in the Philippines) and wish to find
> out more about the country your parents (and possibly, your
> grandparents) left behind, you can printout this list and ask your
> parents (and grandparents) what these are and, more importantly, how
> these represented the generation in which your parents grew up. These
> are only a few "memory hooks" but your parents (and grandparents) will
> probably come up with more once they get started...
>
> Tancho Tique
>
> Three Flowers

Pare, pomada ito para sa buhok. It reminds me of my uncles who had lots
of this on their hair. The smell gets nauseating after a while.

> Superman

Clark Kent?

> Elephant (or Lion) Katol

This one you burn to get rid of the mosquitoes.

> Yco
>
> R M Manlapat
>
> Gulapa
>
> del Rosario
>
> Elpo
>
> Low Waist
>
> lawlaw

Pare pag lawlaw ang pantalon mo baduy ka! Ngayon eh palawlawan ang uso,
haha!

> Continental
>
> Banlon
>
> Niknik
>
> Bangbang

Ito ba yung band?

> Sakbayan
>
> Velosolex
>
> Lambretta

Ito yata pare yung mga dasal na nasa libro.

> Reddy Kilowatt
>
> Radiowealth
>
> Philco
>
> Boie
>
> Everlast
>
> Gregg
>
> Berg's
>
> Aguinaldo's
>
> La Estrella del Norte
>
> Hickock's

May belt ako noon na Hickock's, p're. It's okay.

> Sison
>
> Bireley's
>
> Underwood
>
> P B Dionisio
>
> Talk of the Town
>
> Brown Derby
>
> Bayside
>
> Bulakena

Ala e, magaganda iyan.

> San Miguel (Tarlac)

City ba ito sa Tarlac? I know the beer kicks.

> Duckpins

These are the smaller version of bowling. I remember playing hooky at
school and playing some duckpins. The ball didn't have holes and you can
spin it any way you like.

> Tawag ng Tanghalan

The show where novice singers get "banged" when they miss a note or just
plainly sucks.

> Sebya, Mahal Kita
>
> Breakwater
>
> Intramuros

Pare, dito ako nag-college, sa Mapua. Katabi ng Lyceum. Yung City Hall
ng
Manila nandito, di ba?

> Raon
>
> Lourdes

The Virgin Mary?

> La Loma
>
> Marikina

BENJAMIN L. GUADIZ

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

In <330658...@ix.netcom.com> "Pietro E Reyes, III"

<per...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
>take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these
are
>and what they represented for that particular generation. Some are
long
>gone while others are still around. For those who remember more,
please
>feel free to add to this list.
>
>For those who grew up overseas (not in the Philippines) and wish to
find
>out more about the country your parents (and possibly, your
>grandparents) left behind, you can printout this list and ask your
>parents (and grandparents) what these are and, more importantly, how
>these represented the generation in which your parents grew up. These
>are only a few "memory hooks" but your parents (and grandparents) will
>probably come up with more once they get started...
>
>Tancho Tique
>
>Three Flowers
>
>Superman
>
>Elephant (or Lion) Katol
>
>Yco
>
>R M Manlapat
>
>Gulapa
>
>del Rosario
>
>Elpo
>
>Low Waist
>
>lawlaw
>
>Continental
>
>Banlon
>
>Niknik
>
>Bangbang
>
>Sakbayan
>
>Velosolex
>
>Lambretta
>
>Reddy Kilowatt
>
>Radiowealth
>
>Philco
>
>Boie
>
>Everlast
>
>Gregg
>
>Berg's
>
>Aguinaldo's
>
>La Estrella del Norte
>
>Hickock's
>
>Sison
>
>Bireley's
>
>Underwood
>
>P B Dionisio
>
>Talk of the Town
>
>Brown Derby
>
>Bayside
>
>Bulakena
>
>San Miguel (Tarlac)
>
>Duckpins
>
>Tawag ng Tanghalan
>
>Sebya, Mahal Kita
>
>Breakwater
>
>Intramuros
>
>Raon
>
>Lourdes
>
>La Loma
>
>Marikina

==================
MY TURN:

Hmmm ..., ikaw naman talaga Manong Pietro eh puro ka naman yata BIRO.
Tuloy, lumilitaw yung edad ko/natin :-)

Anyway, lemme see what I can do ...

TANCHO TIQUE = "What makes him tick ...???" Tancho Tique ay isang
pamada which can be purchased sa reputable stores.
Kung sa mga bangketa binili, paniguradong Tancho sa
top portion then fake/imitation na yung nasa ilalim.

YCO = "Sapak ang apak ..., sa YCO floorwax"
Shades of YCO-Yutivo basketball rivalry noong araw.

R M Manlapat = tailoring shop ito ng kagaya ng Toppers or Romarck

Elpo = sports shoes/canvass shoes ng kagaya ng Marcelo or Sturdee

Low Waist = hmmm ..., nahuhulog ng yung pantalon at dinadaya lang
ng sintron

Radiowealth = appliances,

Boie = Botica Boie sa may Quiapo ba???

Banlon = mga damit Vonnel-type

Berg's/Aguinaldo's = department stores. Alam ko may Aguinaldo's yata
doon sa Cubao, malapit ng Araneta Coliseum

Hickock's = belts

Bireley's = soft drinks especially rootbeer

P B Dionisio = Manong Pietro, dito natin binibili yung mga .38 or
.45 calibre pistol shot or revolver. Kailangan lang
ng "konting" atik/pera :-)

Underwood = typewriters

Sakbayan = sasakyan kagaya ng Tamaraw

Intramuros = Nakita ko si Manong Pietro, Manong Sal, hmmm, baka pa sila
Doc CG MD and Manong Tom Choy dito sa Intramuros noong
araw. May ka-date and whose faces were brightly
illuminated by the flood lights hehehehe

Duckpins = bowling

Gregg = upscale shoes and ladies' appointments

Raon = electronics alley which includes yung mga original and fake
Minsan, masusungit yung mga tindera

La Loma = 'alang hiya !!! Sementeryo na ito

Marikina = sapatos

Bayside = cabaret/nightclub sa Roxas Blvd.

ADDENDUM:

Calumpang/Bocaue/Grace Park

Spud/Chesterfield/Union

San Lazaro

Bilibid

Culion Colony/Tala

Ang Tibay

Arsenio Lacson

Rural Transit/LBL

Halili

Kwentong Kutsero

Progress

Golden Award

Divisoria/Central Market

Apeng Daldal/Babalo

Gabriel "Flash" Elorde

Q.I.

Playboy/Palace

benjamin
bl...@ix.netcom.com
bl...@primenet.com
bl...@earthlink.net
bl...@msn.com
rcd...@tridel.com.ph
Southern CA 92324

Tikbalang

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Pietro E Reyes, III wrote:

> For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
> take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these are
> and what they represented for that particular generation. Some are long
> gone while others are still around. For those who remember more, please
> feel free to add to this list.
>
> For those who grew up overseas (not in the Philippines) and wish to find
> out more about the country your parents (and possibly, your
> grandparents) left behind, you can printout this list and ask your
> parents (and grandparents) what these are and, more importantly, how
> these represented the generation in which your parents grew up. These
> are only a few "memory hooks" but your parents (and grandparents) will
> probably come up with more once they get started...
>
> Tancho Tique

My dad used that before as a grease for his hair.

> Three Flowers

I saw that in a flea market and the Chinese vendor said that it will be
good for your bad breath.

> Superman

I rent a Komiks before and then read the Superman.

> Elephant (or Lion) Katol

Oh! I hear an ads before in the radio and it said "Pag mangangati ang
iyung paa, gumamit ng lion katol!"

Yco

I saw that before in Araneta Colesium as a Basketball team.

> R M Manlapat

Wanted as Most Public enemy No. 1

> Gulapa

Is this a food?

> del Rosario

I have a neighbor that has a last name of Del Rosario. Their origin is
from Cebu.

> Elpo

He is the twin brother of Elmo.

> Low Waist

He is Jerry Lewis former screen name.

> lawlaw

That is my dad old pant design and it looks like he has a big dick.

> Continental

This is a commercial airplane.

> Banlon

I saw that in flea market too. It is a shirt that has texture of a nylon.

> Niknik

That is my friend's nickname.

> Bangbang

That is a sound of a gun.

> Sakbayan

My uncle had that before and we used it for joyriding. It looks like an
army jeep.

> Velosolex

Is this a watch?

> Lambretta

Is this a restaurant?

> Reddy Kilowatt

Watthour meter.

> Radiowealth

My grandparent still has that - an antique refrigerator and sterio phono.

> Philco

A name of a company where my Uncle worked before.

> Boie

A french word?

> Everlast

A sport brand.

> Gregg

A scottish name.

> Berg's

A Jewish name.

> Aguinaldo's

A hero from Cavite.

> La Estrella del Norte

North Star

> Hickock's

A brand name that dad used to buy for his wallet and belt.

> Sison

A town in Pangasinan.

> Bireley's

A beer?

> Underwood

A typewriter brand name and we still have that in the house.

> P B Dionisio

Sound like an Ilongo last name.

> Talk of the Town

A column section in the paper.

> Brown Derby

This is cokfighting.

> Bayside

Manila Bay

> Bulakena

A name of beerhouse.

> San Miguel (Tarlac)

The bus stop-over town for eating.

> Duckpins

Bowling grip style.

> Tawag ng Tanghalan

Nora Aunor's stepping stone.

> Breakwater

Oh! that is found in Manila bay where squatters use as residences.

> Intramuros

Known as the site of Chatedral Church and you can see relics and old
houses. I saw the Museum that displays the belonging of Dr. Jose Rizal.
Nice place.

> Raon

That is still alive today where you can find money exchangers, spare parts
and beer houses. Very exciting places.

> Lourdes

That is found in Baguio City. I was there too.

The Virgin Mary?

Is that in Antipolo and never there in my life.

> La Loma

Where the drinking water resources comes from. I passed there before and
nice place too for picnic.

> Marikina

My friends bought houses there. It is still known for small scale
industries in making leather products.

How about this:

Tuba

Maalikaya

Rotunda

Barrio Fiesta

Freddie Aguilar

Florante

Divisoria

Voltes Five

Flor de Luna

Toothpick

Pepsi

Kambingan

Nino Mullach

Fiesta Carnival

bastos

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997 19:44:09 -0500, "Pietro E Reyes, III"
<per...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
>take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these are
>and what they represented for that particular generation. Some are long
>gone while others are still around. For those who remember more, please
>feel free to add to this list.
>
>For those who grew up overseas (not in the Philippines) and wish to find
>out more about the country your parents (and possibly, your
>grandparents) left behind, you can printout this list and ask your
>parents (and grandparents) what these are and, more importantly, how
>these represented the generation in which your parents grew up. These
>are only a few "memory hooks" but your parents (and grandparents) will
>probably come up with more once they get started...
>
>Tancho Tique

Pomade. Pag-na-amoy mo ito, alam mo may date ang isang binata.
Tatlong araw bago matanggal.
>Yco
Yung basketball team o yung pitura?
>R M Manlapat
Noong panahon, kahit ma-init maraming naka-suot ng americana.
Ngayon, pumunta ka sa Shoemart at maraming naka-suot ng jacket.
>Elpo
Itim na pang-basketball.
>Low Waist
and
>lawlaw
Appropriate attire for tropical weather.
>Banlon
Old fashioned name for polyester. It's back!
>Bangbang
Pupunta ka sa HongKong naka-maong, pagbalik mo naka-Bangbang.
>Sakbayan
Magaling sa putik at baha. Tagalog for Volkswagen.
>Velosolex
Bisekleta ba ito o motorsiklo?
>Reddy Kilowatt
Sikat bago na-uso ang brownout.
>Boie
Drug store. Tinalo ng Commander at Mercury.
>Gregg
Shoes. The next stop after enrollment.
>Underwood
Typewriter. The latest models are still in use at your nearest
municipal hall.
>Bayside
The place for bigwigs.
>Tawag ng Tanghalan
Doon nag-umpisa si Nora.
>Sebya, Mahal Kita
Dear Tiya Dely?
>Breakwater
If you looked down behind the breakwater, couples were doing
more than fishing.
>Intramuros
Old Manila. I'd say it's in better shape nowadays.
>Raon
Sino ba si Raon anyway? Napalitan na ang pangalan ng kalsada
pero the place is still associated with electronics.
>Marikina
Sapatos, Baboy at Funeral Parlors. Para sa mga Atenista, a
great view from the Pergola.

Pietro E Reyes, III

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to BENJAMIN L. GUADIZ

Bilib ako kay Manong Benjamin - 100 percent functional ang kaniyang RAM!
at mukhang gumagamit ng EDO type - talagang mabilis!

Anyway, purbahan naman natin yung aking RAM! Baka may parity error na sa
kalumaan...

BENJAMIN L. GUADIZ wrote:

> Calumpang/Bocaue/Grace Park

Dito nagpapalipas ng horas at pangangati ng kung ano-anong parte ng
katawan ang mga kalalakihan dati. Noon e may mga nakapaluput pang mga
ticket sa leeg ang mga kalalakihan sa dansplor para pag may nagustuhan e
wala ng bitawan!

> Spud/Chesterfield/Union

Nung ginagaya ko yung aking mga tiyo sa pagsisigarilyo, pati yung mga
brand nila gaya ko rin! Union - blue seal at pronounced Ooonyon.

> San Lazaro

Race track. Mukhang pinagbili na ito ng kung ilang bilyong piso at ang
balak yata ay gagawing commercial/residential complex. No relation, Mang
Benjamin.

> Bilibid

Dito nararapat ang mga drug pushers. Hindi pala, dapat yung mga drug
pushers, nasa ilalim nito.

> Culion Colony/Tala

One of my mom's favourite charities - doon sa mga unfortunately stricken
by Hansen's Disease.

> Ang Tibay

Mga Teodoro ang mga may-ari. If I remember right, they also used to make
locally branded Florsheim shoes but I could be mistaken here. Kalaban ng
Walk-Over at Camara Shoes!

> Arsenio Lacson

Namatay sa sarap. Iba talaga yung Charito Solis.

> Rural Transit/LBL

Unfamiliar. Alam ko provincial bus line ito na kagaya ng BLTB or
Pantranco pero hindi ko matandaan ang provincial route...

> Halili

one of the Metro Manila bus lines

> Kwentong Kutsero

Radio program. Kung hindi ako nagakakamali, one of the characters was si
Atorni Agaton.

> Progress

Can't get this one.

> Golden Award

Best guess is a local brand of either cigarette or t-shirt. Hirap!

> Divisoria/Central Market

Hatid-sundo ko ang mom ko sa Central Market pag namamalengke siya!

> Apeng Daldal/Babalo

Both were once popular comedians, both thin and known for slapstick
brand of humour. Apeng Daldal was older than Babalu.

> Gabriel "Flash" Elorde

Napanood ko ito in person when one of my grandfathers, a boxing
afficionado, brought my cousin and me to Araneta Coliseum. He won by a
knockout within the first round -- People were still coming in as we
were starting to leave.

> Q.I.

Dito hi-nold yung kontest na palakihan ng plema between yung mga
tsampyon na mga tisiko. Also, my dad's favorite tennis courts.

> Playboy/Palace

I remember mayroong Playboy Club actually owned by Playboy Enterprises
which was located in Silahis or Sulo Hotel sa Roxas Boulevard. Palace, I
suspect, mayroong mga shows na specially tailored for the more basic
appetites of the men -- not sure on this one. Either that or dito yung
mga upuan sa balcony ay walang armrests?

Fred Amores

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

In <5e6ser$n...@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> bl...@ix.netcom.com(BENJAMIN
L. GUADIZ ) writes:

>In <330658...@ix.netcom.com> "Pietro E Reyes, III"

><per...@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>>
>>For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
>>take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these
>are
>>and what they represented for that particular generation. Some are
>long
>>gone while others are still around. For those who remember more,
>please
>>feel free to add to this list.

Calumpang/Bocaue/Grace Park- My favorite "JOY" Center.

Playboy (Ermita)- sexy live shows.

La Loma- famous for its Lechon ni Mang Tomas and cockpit arena aside
from sementeryo also known as La Loma Hotel.

Palace - known for its "singit" Bomba sex films like Uhaw, Dayodok,
Hayok at madulas ang mga alleys. How about Mayfair?

San Lazaro- horse race tract( Manila Jockey Club) and also North
General Hospital( Jose Reyes Memorial Hospital)

Divisoria- wet market and dry market. Its a place for bargain hunters
and drop point for fresh fruits and vegetables.

Babalo- "Peping Cojoangco"? in the showbiz.

Apeng Daldal- deadbol na sa katatawa.

Bilibid- old Bilibid prison then in near Felix Huertas/ Recto, Santa
Cruz, Manila.

Flash Elorde- defeated by lightwieght boxer Ortiz.

T. Tinio

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Pietro E Reyes, III <per...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<330713...@ix.netcom.com>...

:
: Anyway, purbahan naman natin yung aking RAM! Baka may parity error na sa
: kalumaan...
:
:
: BENJAMIN L. GUADIZ wrote:
: >
: > Halili

:
: one of the Metro Manila bus lines
:
They (Halilis of Sta. Maria, Bulacan) also put up a brewery (Halili Beer)
along Balintawak, QC. San Miguel stiffled the competition and bought the
company. The Balintawak site is now San Miguel's B-Meg plant--gumagawa ng
chicken feeds, among others.

MY TURN:

Who is Joe Bush?

--
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
bRAMŽS

T. Tinio

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Romeo Arenzana <aren...@ix.netcom.com> wrote
:
: > Superman
:
: Clark Kent?
:
Another brand of pomade. Dalawa singko (nakabalot sa cellophane).

:
: > Bangbang
:
: Ito ba yung band?
:
Hinde! Duon ka bumibili ng used-clothing o ng gamot, daming botika doon
(Commander, Commodore, Mercury, etc.).

T. Tinio

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Tikbalang <tikb...@aol.com> wrote
:
: > del Rosario

:
: I have a neighbor that has a last name of Del Rosario. Their origin is
: from Cebu.
Magkapatid na nagtayo ng marketing company--DRB (Del Rosario Brothers
Marketing). Mga home appliances ang tinda.

:
: > Elpo

:
: He is the twin brother of Elmo.

:
Talo ang Air Jordan dito. Kapag suot mo, puwede kang tumakbo sa ibabaw ng
tubig.

: >
:
: > Berg's
:
: A Jewish name.
:
Right! According to my economics professor, Fr. McPhelin, during the 30's,
yung ibang pinasibat ni Herr Hitler na mga Hoodjoe sa Germany ay sa
Maynila napunta. They became prominent in the local business community.
Berg (department store along the Escolta) and Hahn (Hahn Manila,
distributor of BMWs) were notable names. I remember there is/was even a
Jewish Synagogue somewhere in Manila.

:
: > Sison
:
: A town in Pangasinan.
:
Ice drop, masarap
Pag nahulog, patpat!

:
: > Talk of the Town
:
Noong "Namatay sa sarap (si Arsenio Lacson). Iba talaga yung Charito
Solis."

:
: Pepsi
:
SIX FOUR THREE. 643 thousand yata ang nag-claimed na tumama sila ng isang
milyon. Or was it the infamous rape case of PALOMA versus Vic and two
others, AKA SEX FOR THREE?

T. Tinio

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Pietro E Reyes, III <per...@ix.netcom.com> wrote
:
: > Q.I.

:
: Dito hi-nold yung kontest na palakihan ng plema between yung mga
: tsampyon na mga tisiko. Also, my dad's favorite tennis courts.
:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alma mater ni Manuel L. Quezon.

Pietro E Reyes, III

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to T. Tinio

T. Tinio wrote:

> MY TURN:
>
> Who is Joe Bush?

Brand of Shoe Polish. Yun ang ginagamit ko nung nag-shashine pa ako ng
sapatos. Kanya lang, I used to pronounce it as joboos. Tintang intsik
(black stick dye) ang ginagamit kong pangitim.

T. Tinio

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Fred Amores <amo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<5e7f3i$b...@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>...
: In <5e6ser$n...@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> bl...@ix.netcom.com(BENJAMIN
: L. GUADIZ ) writes:
:
: >
: >YCO = "Sapak ang apak ..., sa YCO floorwax"

: > Shades of YCO-Yutivo basketball rivalry noong araw.
: >
Tatlo ang BIG Ys sa MICAA in the old days. YCO, YSMAEL and YUTIVO.

:
: >Boie = Botica Boie sa may Quiapo ba???
Hinde! Sa Escolta. Duon ka bumi-bili ng ticket ng mag palabas sa Araneta
Coliseum. Flash Elorde Boxing matches, MICAA games, Holiday on ICE, Pat
Boone, Paul Anka, Matt Monroe, etc. Bakit? Botica Boie was also owned by
the ARANETAS.
: >
: >Banlon = mga damit Vonnel-type
: >
Mali. BANLON is a brand of texturized polyester fiber. They were made into
garments and were popular in the early sixties. VONNEL (yeeh-yeeh) was made
of ACRYLIC, pag-suot mo at pinawisan ka, embedded ang amoy mo, kahit laban
mo, perma-baho na ang damit mo!
:
: >
: >Ang Tibay
Saidepeks ng pag-inom ng MUSE by Vivous.

T. Tinio

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Pietro E Reyes, III <per...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<330789...@ix.netcom.com>...
:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ang sikat na brand of shoe polish noon ay BROADWAY. Joe Bush was an
American old-timer in the Philippines. He lived in Mandaluyong. Bumibili
siya ng mga direct dyes sa GIEGY, CIBA, SANDOZ, BAYER, HOECHST, BASF, etc.
Ni-rerepak niya ito into small packets at binebenta sa mga sari-sari stores
under the brand of JOE BUSH. Noong lumaon naging generic ang kanyang brand
para sa TINA (dye)--naging JOBOOS or DYOBOS. JOBOOS was available in
different colors but most common was the TINA used in laundrying (tinting
blue, AQUAMARINE BLUE). In the seventies, I heard that a big trading
company wanted to buy from the family of Joe Bush, the name JOE BUSH
because of its goodwill. The family elected to keep the name.

Pietro E Reyes, III

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to Fred Amores

Fred Amores wrote:

> How about these?
>
> Sio Hok Tong - alcoholic beverage promoted as health drink
> TiKi-Tiki - B-complex syrup extracted from rice bran and developed
to combat beri-beri (vitamin B deficiency)
> Perla - laundry soap. also used by many to combat dandruff.
> La Campana - best guess is ?restaurant or bakery?
> Sarsaparilla - carbonated drink based on sassafras extract, most
popular brand is Cosmos
> Sunken Garden - ?area in intramuros?
> La Mallorca-Pambusco taxicab and bus line PAMpanga BUS COmpany
> Crispa - manufacturer of cotton underwear - sando t-shirt jockey and
boxer shorts
> Underpass Hotel - no idea!
> International Harvester - farm equipment and implements manufacturer.
> Hi-way 54 - former name of EDSA.

adelle ignacio

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

> : > Bangbang
> :
> : Ito ba yung band?
> :
>> Hinde! Duon ka bumibili ng used-clothing o ng gamot, daming botika >> doon
>> (Commander, Commodore, Mercury, etc.).
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ay excuse me po tatang... hindi po iyon Bangbang, iyon po ay Bambang!!

amo...@ix.netcom.com

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to amo...@ix.netcom.com

Tikbalang wrote:

> [...]
>
> A town in Pangasinan.
>
> Tuba- favorite alcoholic drink in the Visayas and Mindanao
>
> Maalikaya- massage clinic/sauna bath near Delta cinema. Magaganda ang mga dilag at malalambot ang mga kutis.hmmmm.
>
> Rotunda- sa Espana extension
>
> Barrio Fiesta- okey iyong crispy pata.
>
> Freddie Aguilar- Anak ng nanay niya.
>
> Florante :) at Laura nobela ni Francisco Balagtas.
>
> Divisoria- maraming pulis nag-aabang ng tong.
>
> Voltes Five- a Japanese cartoons characters.
>
> Flor de Luna- a melodrama TV series stars Janice de Belen, Herbert Bautista, Dindo Fernando, Laurice Guilllen, and "Miss Tapia".
>
> Toothpick- a notorious killer using toothpick as a deadly weapon.
>
> Pepsi:) Paloma- alaga at soft drinks' beauties ni Kapitana Rey dela Cruz.
>
> Kambingan- Pulutan at inuman....naimas Lakay!
>
> Nino Mullach- bansot pa rin.
>
> Fiesta Carnival- mini version of Disneyland sa Cubao.:)

T. Tinio

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Tikbalang <tikb...@aol.com> wrote
:
: > Gulapa
:
: Is this a food?
:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not so sure about this, but me think twas a tailoring shop specializing
in DOBLE PASADA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:
: > Niknik

:
: That is my friend's nickname.

:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Body hugger shirt made of texturized nylon. Makintab, mainit, pagpinawisan
ka, dikit sa katawan mo ang buong shirt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:
: > Velosolex
:
: Is this a watch?
:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mopeds. Motorized bicycles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > Lambretta
:
: Is this a restaurant?
:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Famous scooters from Italy, imported by Hahn-Manila (?).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > Reddy Kilowatt
:
: Watthour meter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THE MERALCO basketball team (early 70s) of BIG J and Big Boy REYNOSO when
they punched, kicked a referee. Both were banned for life to play on the
hardcourt. A few years later, the BIG J was able to play again through the
intervention of his numero-uno fan BONG-BONG.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:
: > Everlast
:
: A sport brand.
:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another saidepeks ng pag-inom ng MUSE by Vivous?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > San Miguel (Tarlac)

:
: The bus stop-over town for eating.

:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ewan ko sa inyo! San Miguel is the last town of Bulacan before entering
Tarlac. Famous for pastillas. I like the highly decorative
wrappers--intricate cut-out designs.
Folk-art at its best!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:
: > Lourdes

:
: That is found in Baguio City. I was there too.
:
: The Virgin Mary?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Talagang miraculous! Could be found AT THE SAME TIME too in Retiro, La
Loma, Quezon City. May tawag dun, kapag nakikita ka sa dalawang lugar at
the same time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:
: Nino Mullach
:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hanggang ngayon, 4-10 pa rin. Nakalimutang lumaki.

Fred Amores

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

<per...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
>take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these
are
>and what they represented for that particular generation. Some are
long
>gone while others are still around. For those who remember more,
please
>feel free to add to this list.
>
>For those who grew up overseas (not in the Philippines) and wish to
find
>out more about the country your parents (and possibly, your
>grandparents) left behind, you can printout this list and ask your
>parents (and grandparents) what these are and, more importantly, how
>these represented the generation in which your parents grew up. These
>are only a few "memory hooks" but your parents (and grandparents) will
>probably come up with more once they get started...

Sakbayan- Filipino-designed car (VW- Guevarra Company) sa E.Rodriguez
Ave.,Quezon City.

Everlast- maker of sporting goods

Sison- Jose Maria Sison a.k.a. Amado Guerrero founder CPP ?????

P. B. Dionisio- distributor of guns made by Squires-Bingham Philippines
in Parang, Marikina. They sell ala' AK-47 .22 cal. rifle and Armalite
style .22 cal. rifle intended for security guards.

Bulakena sa avenida Rizal masarap ang kanilang bibingka.

Duckpins- "Dakpin si Romy Jalosjos Patay o Buhay"-FVR???

Arsenio Lacson- playboy sponsor/backer ni Imelda Romualdez pagka- Miss
Manila contest at namatay sa sobrang ligaya.

How about these?

Sio Hok Tong, TiKi-Tiki, Perla, La Campana, Sarsaparilla, Sunken
Garden, La Malorca-Pambusco, Crispa, Underpass Hotel, International
Harvester, Hi-way 54.

T. Tinio

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Napakahusay na mga negosyante ang mga INTSIK. Do you remember, noong bata
pa tayo, hinahalukay ng mga INTSIK ang kanilang ilong? Ini-ipon ang
kanilang mga kulangut. Nilalagyan ng kaunting matamis. IREREPAK. Presto!
Bili na kayo ng KULANGUT ng INTSIK. Pati kulangut napagkakaperahan.
: )

Fred Amores

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In <3307C0...@internetMCI.com> adelle ignacio

<a.ig...@internetMCI.com> writes:

>> : > Bangbang
>> :
>> : Ito ba yung band?

>ay excuse me po tatang... hindi po iyon Bangbang, iyon po ay Bambang!!

Ay! naku po Nanang.... baka naman Bayambang, Nueva Ecija. Sa Bambang,
Santa Cruz, Maynila doon po nag-lalako ng mga Levi's jeans na seconda
mano at iba pa. At saka iyong Bangbang ay pantalong maong maraming
burloloy.

BENJAMIN L. GUADIZ

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In <5e8cer$7...@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com> amo...@ix.netcom.com(Fred

Amores) writes:

>In <330658...@ix.netcom.com> "Pietro E Reyes, III"
><per...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

others deleted for brevity

MY TURN:

>Sio Hok Tong = chinese alcoholic tonic claimed to have medicinal
purposes. Kasama ng Vino de Quina ito at yung
Istomacal. Masubrahan mo'y lasing ka na !!!

TiKi-Tiki = Under license sa "United American" at may Bitamina A,
B atbpa. Late 50s and early 60s product.
Masarap inumin ito

Perla = Sabon kagaya ng Wheel, Ajax, Super Dash, Tide, Rinso,
Marvel, Breeze

Sarsaparilla = rootbeer; meron din COSMOS Sarsaparilla

Sunken Garden = Lover's hideaway nila Manong Fred and his kabarkada
noong araw. May hotsy-kotsy; smooching, kissing,
feeling, "makinilya sa buong wan-kata ng chix",
Pers Base, Second Base, Third Base and for the
HOME RUN, malapit na sa mga motel in Baclaran or
Mabini/Harrison.

Crispa = Redmanizers, basketball team and A-1 na teeshirts

International Harvester = farm implements, diesel engines, also
these were American-made engines na
nakasalpak sa mga bus like Times Transit,
Dacanay, Pantranco (bankrupt na),and the
body was usually Superior Coach ...
Kalaban ng Ford, Farmall, John Deere itong
IH na ito when it comes to farm tractors.

Highway 54 = major thoroughfare. Dito ka dadaan if you had to go to
Camp Crame, Cubao, Makati, Ortigas, Crossing, Pasig,
Guadalupe, yung mga very exclusive villages, etc ...
Dito mo makikitang naglilinis yung mga curfew violators
noong kainit-initan ng MARCOS' Martial Law.

Bataan Matamis/Balintawak Regaliz = wow !!! ang sarap and ang tamis
na tabako for the old women sa probins.

Tikbalang

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

T. Tinio <bra...@intergate.bc.ca>
Date: 17 Feb 1997 01:48:34 GMT

>Napakahusay na mga negosyante ang mga INTSIK. Do you remember, noong
>bata pa tayo, hinahalukay ng mga INTSIK ang kanilang ilong? Ini-ipon ang
>kanilang mga kulangut. Nilalagyan ng kaunting matamis. IREREPAK. Presto!
>Bili na kayo ng KULANGUT ng INTSIK. Pati kulangut napagkakaperahan.
>: )

Totoo? Eh, para saan naman gagamitin ang mga iyan?

T. Tinio

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Pietro E Reyes, III <per...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<3307BF...@ix.netcom.com>...
: Fred Amores wrote:
: >
: > How about these?
: >
: > Sio Hok Tong - alcoholic beverage promoted as health drink

: > TiKi-Tiki - B-complex syrup extracted from rice bran and developed
: to combat beri-beri (vitamin B deficiency)
: > Perla - laundry soap. also used by many to combat dandruff.
Twas the local version of IVORY, 99.99% pure soap. Pampaganda ng kutis.

: > La Campana - best guess is ?restaurant or bakery?
Neither. La Campana was the manufacturer of LIWAYWAY GAWGAW.
Liwayway gawgaw ang gamitin,
Liwayway gawgaw ang bilhin.

: > Sarsaparilla - carbonated drink based on sassafras extract, most
: popular brand is Cosmos
SARSI. SARSARAP! The Concepcion Group bought Cosmos Bottling Company a few
years back.

: > Sunken Garden - ?area in intramuros?

: > La Mallorca-Pambusco taxicab and bus line PAMpanga BUS COmpany
: > Crispa - manufacturer of cotton underwear - sando t-shirt jockey and
: boxer shorts
: > Underpass Hotel - no idea!
: > International Harvester - farm equipment and implements manufacturer.
: > Hi-way 54 - former name of EDSA.

If I remember right, the former name of EDSA was Epifanio delos Santos
Avenue and the former name of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue was Hi-way 54!
Who the heck was Epifanio delos Santos? Anyone?

-------------------------------------
When I was a kid, pinatatao ako ng aking ankol sa kanyang sari-sari store
(late 50s, early 60s). I could remember many things, like...
MACHACAO
GURGORIA
KABABAYAN
PASENCIA
YEBANA
PURICO
TITINA RIGALIZ
NAMARCO
TIKTIK
TIRA-TIRA
SAN PABLO
CORTAL
GA-AS
DEL MAR
BAYANI
PERMINANTE
etc.
Can you identify what these are?

Fred Amores

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

In <01bc1ca3$bc07b540$a3c2...@bramos.intergate.bc.ca> "T. Tinio"
<bra...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:

>If I remember right, the former name of EDSA was Epifanio delos Santos
>Avenue and the former name of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue was Hi-way
54!
>Who the heck was Epifanio delos Santos? Anyone?
>
>-------------------------------------
>When I was a kid, pinatatao ako ng aking ankol sa kanyang sari-sari
store
>(late 50s, early 60s). I could remember many things, like...

>PURICO- is a cooking lard. I remember a song jingle....purico ay
mantika.

>TITINA RIGALIZ- e'bakit may titina, may rigaliz pa?

>NAMARCO- an evaporated milk brand?

>TIKTIK- Pinoys'version of Penthouse magazine.

>TIRA-TIRA- malagkit na asukal.

>CORTAL- aspirin-based medicine it cures headache,toothache, muscular
pain. Perhaps an old version of Tylenol.

>GA-AS- a kerosene for cooking and use in lampara at Coleman lamp.

>Can you identify what these are?

amo...@ix.netcom.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to adelle ignacio, amo...@ix.netcom.com

adelle ignacio wrote:

> > : > Bangbang
> > :
> > : Ito ba yung band?
> > :
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >> Hinde! Duon ka bumibili ng used-clothing o ng gamot, daming botika
>> doon
> >> (Commander, Commodore, Mercury, etc.).
> >>
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >>

> ay excuse me po tatang... hindi po iyon Bangbang, iyon po ay Bambang.

Ay! mali pala. Bayambang is in Pangasinan not Nueva Ecija. I was thinking
of Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya. Pasensiya po. Maraming Salamat.

T. Tinio

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

amo...@ix.netcom.com wrote
: >
: > Nino Mullach- bansot pa rin.
: >
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tila yata, tinalian ng magulang ng alambre ang mga kamay, paa, binti, hita,
leeg, braso--buong katawan--para hindi lumaki para to stay small and cute,
para kumita ng maraming datung sa pelikula. Mayroon bang child star na
malaki? Kawawa pero marami namang pera. Today, the mother ay nagtitinda na
lang ng ensaimada known as SUPER MELT sa SM MegaMall. Mabili. Tumatabo ng
pera. Swirti talaga!

Pietro E Reyes, III

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Fred Amores wrote:

> In <01bc1ca3$bc07b540$a3c2...@bramos.intergate.bc.ca> "T. Tinio"
> <bra...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:
>
> >If I remember right, the former name of EDSA was Epifanio delos Santos
> >Avenue and the former name of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue was Hi-way
> 54!
> >Who the heck was Epifanio delos Santos? Anyone?
> >
> >-------------------------------------
> >When I was a kid, pinatatao ako ng aking ankol sa kanyang sari-sari
> store
> >(late 50s, early 60s). I could remember many things, like...
>
> >PURICO- is a cooking lard. I remember a song jingle....purico ay
> mantika.

> >TITINA RIGALIZ- e'bakit may titina, may rigaliz pa?

the jurassic version of More cigarettes?

> >NAMARCO- an evaporated milk brand?

Acronym for NAtional MARketing COrporation, a government operation
which was used to control/stabilize prices via intervention on supply of
basic consumer commodities e.g. rice, sugar, evap milk, etc

> >TIKTIK- Pinoys'version of Penthouse magazine.

> >TIRA-TIRA- malagkit na asukal.

equivalent of salt water taffy. basic ingredient was sugar and a binder
which made the taffy very "malagkit". Lots of teeth, both temporary and
permanent, were lost by children because of tira-tira.

Pietro E Reyes, III

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to T. Tinio

T. Tinio wrote:
> MACHACAO - RP version of melba toast
> PASENCIA - RP version of lady fingers(?)
> YEBANA - cigarette made primarily from low grade tobacco(?)
> PERMINANTE - strip of paper with tiny dots of explosive substance
used in toy guns to simulate gunfire.

Jun B.

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

On 16 Feb 1997 11:52:59 GMT, bl...@ix.netcom.com(BENJAMIN L. GUADIZ )
wrote:

>MY TURN:
>
>Hmmm ..., ikaw naman talaga Manong Pietro eh puro ka naman yata BIRO.
>Tuloy, lumilitaw yung edad ko/natin :-)
>
>Anyway, lemme see what I can do ...
>
> [snip]

>Low Waist = hmmm ..., nahuhulog ng yung pantalon at dinadaya lang
> ng sintron

The "Low Waist Gang"; famous showbiz barkada ng mga binatang artista.
Three prominent members were DaKing (a.k.a. Fernando Poe Jr.) and his
brother Conrad, Erap (a.k.a. Joseph Estrada, former PACC King and now
Vice-Prez), and Zaldy Zhornack.

May nakakaalala pa ba kung sinu-sino pa ang miyembro? I only remember
them from a movie I saw one afternoon sa Channel 13 yata, called
"Lutong Makaw", which was apparently shot on location in Hongkong and
Macau.

>Radiowealth = appliances,

Well, at least, appliance manufacturer. Famous for their TVs in the
wide wood cabinets na ginagawang altar ni ermats kapag dumadalaw ang
traveling image ni Mama Mary of Lourdes.

Nagtrabaho si erpats noon dito, eh. He was even able to make a few
appliances for himself (like his old radio, for example) from spare
parts. (Don't know what's become of the radio, though)

>Boie = Botica Boie sa may Quiapo ba???

Yeah, remember that, too. My Ate and I always pronounced it Bo-i-eh!

>Sakbayan = sasakyan kagaya ng Tamaraw

May nagsabi na somewhere in this thread, pero ulitin ko na lang. It's
the local version of the Volkswagen. Parang may joing venture yata
with VW and a local carmaker. I remember passing by their plant along
Espana Ext. (or E. Rodriguez).

I also remember them as the favorite vehicles of cops and of PLDT
technicians.

Jun B.
Pinoy na bagong salta -- for the past three years

Benjamin Guadiz

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to T. Tinio

T. Tinio wrote:

> Pietro E Reyes, III <per...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
> <3307BF...@ix.netcom.com>...
> : Fred Amores wrote:
> ================================================================================= (SCISSORS USED EXTENSIVELY AND SURGICALLY)

MY TURN:

Manong TeeTiNio, ang galing naman ng nick natin !!! hehehehe :-)

PURICO = lard, the equivalent of a poor man's olive oil which was
usually packed in a small box. Twenty five centavos noong araw.

NAMARCO = National Marketing Corporation; a government-owned marketing
entity. Maraming nangurakot ng pera dito. Noong araw, there was
a Namarco mess. Nagkalat ang bulok na sardinas, de lata and etc.
PP100,000,000.00 mess and this was a big money in the early 60s.

TIKTIK = detective stories/police cases. Sinampal ako ng aking ama when
I wuz a kid dahil lang sa pagbabasa ng Tiktik ... pwe !!!

CORTAL = Cortal na may Glycine. Analgesic/Antipyretic like Medicol,
Novaldine; tama ba si ako DOC CG MD ???

GA-AS = kerosene usually marketed in a can

Johnny Thor

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Pietro E Reyes, III <per...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<330658...@ix.netcom.com>...

> For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
> take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these are
> and what they represented for that particular generation.
>
> Tancho Tique

Tancho, the Japanese hairdressing company, had two products: Tancho pomade
and Tancho Tique. Tancho pomade is the regular grease while Tancho Tique
was the stick brand used for very "stubborn" hair.

> Three Flowers

This is the pomade brand known for its cool tin packaging. The packaging
had drawing of a couple dancing "Rigodon." The shape of the tin can was
also designed so that the edge of one's comb easily dipped into the can.

You could just imagine, what with the heavy use of pomade in the fifties
and sixties, what the pollution (lack thereof) situation was in Manila back
then. Thank God the greasy style is long gone or else rubbish would stick
to your hair like magnet to iron fillings.

> Superman

This is the poor man's pomade. The packaging was in a sort of plastic
sache. The redneck perverts used this as sexual lubrication.

> Elephant (or Lion) Katol

The best known mosquito coil brands. The elders, while playing mahjong in
the outdoors, would light a few under the table so the mossies would not
make "papak" of their legs.

I heard that some mossies nowadays are immune to the "katol" smoke.

> Yco

The makers of paint and floor wax. Yco is also well known for its
basketball teams during the MICAA league. Its alumni include Carlos "The
Big Difference" Loysaga and the now Senator Freddie Webb.

> R M Manlapat

A well known men's tailor shop and haberdashery.

> Gulapa
>
> del Rosario
>
> Elpo

The predecessor of Nike's and Reeboks of today. The shoe looks like your
Converse canvas joggers.

> Low Waist

Style of trousers. The style only suited the slim folk - the fat folk who
insist on following the style would embarrass themselves by exposing their
posterior cleavage when seated.

In the fifties there was a notorious crime gang called "Low Waist Gang"
reknowned for their trouser styles.

> lawlaw

Loose crotch trousers style which is the style of today. In the seventies,
the style was supertight. The rule then was if the shape of your penis head
and testicles didn't show from your crotch, your trousers weren't tight
enough. "Lawlaw" then was an uncomplementary term for those who did not
conform.

> Continental

The style of trousers or shirt collar which denoted "conservative".

> Banlon

A popular shirt brand of the sixties.

> Niknik

Circa seventies Italian-made shirts known for their light wash-n-wear
material and cool designs.

> Bangbang

Circa seventies Hongkong-made denim wear known for their outrageous buckle,
zipper and braided designs.

> Sakbayan

A dune buggy-style motor vehicle designed with a Volkswagen Beetle engine.
Sakbayan is short for "sasakyan ng bayan" (Vehicle for the masses).

> Velosolex
>
> Lambretta

Italian-made motorcycles which was popularised by the Gregory Peck-Audrey
Hepburn movie of the fifties Roman Holiday.

> Reddy Kilowatt

This is the character in Meralco's logo. The character had a light globe
head and black lightning for its limbs. Meralco was the acronym for Manila
Electric and Railway Company and today short for Manila Electric Company.

Meralco also had a popular sixties basketball team called the Meralco
Reddies. Its alumni included Robert "the living legend" Jaworski, Francis
"Mr. Clutch" Arnaiz, Alberto "Big Boy" Reynoso, and Jaime "Pectus" Mariano.

> Radiowealth

The Philippine brand for electrical appliances.

> Philco
>
> Boie

Botica Boie was a popular chemist in the Escolta area.

> Everlast

Everlast was the popular department store situated between Banawe St. and
Quezon Blvd. (now Quezon avenue). I remember during my toddler years, I
always dreamed of wearing a Batman or Superman costume bought from
Everlast. Unfortunately I was oversized for my age (I was 70lbs and wore
Small men's shirts at five and wore size 8 men's shoes for my first Holy
Communion) so ended up being Tarzan (wearing brief underwear and
barebreasted) for my fifth birthday.

> Gregg

Children's shoes known for their durability and style. Again, I didn't get
to wear any at school as I wore men's shoes from kindie.

> Berg's
>
> Aguinaldo's

Two popular department stores.

> La Estrella del Norte
>
> Hickock's
>
> Sison

The popular iceblock brand, or shall I say "Ice drop".

> Bireley's
>
> Underwood

The typewriter company. You can go to any police station today and see
these typewriters with no automatic carriage return still in action.

> P B Dionisio

A gun shop.

> Talk of the Town

A popular primetime TV show in the sixties hosted by Agapito "Butz" Aquino
and Lolit Solis.

> Brown Derby

A popular "night club" situated at the corner of Quezon Blvd. and Sierra
Madre (now Speaker Perez) in Quezon City. Living in Apo St., Sta Mesa
Heights, my parents would often hangout there and I was unhappy as a
toddler to not be able to come with them.

> Bayside

A popular "night club" in Dewey Boulevard (now Roxas Blvd). The club
overlooked Manila's famous sunset.

> Bulakena
>
> San Miguel (Tarlac)
>
> Duckpins

Or duck pin bowling. The ball and pins are smaller than Tenpin and you are
given three balls per frame. Duckpin bowling is actually more popular to
Tenpin even today.

> Tawag ng Tanghalan

This is a singing contest evening show that ran from the mid-fifties to the
early seventies. The show was originally hosted by the husband-and-wife
comedian team of Lopito and Patsy. Among the talents who began their career
by winning the annual grand event were popular host Jose "Pepe" Pimentel,
Matt Monroe sound alike crooner Diomedes Maturan, and megastar Nora Aunor.

> Sebya, Mahal Kita

Popular comedy radio series turned movie turned TV series. Sebya was Sylvia
La Torre. Her beau was Eddie San Jose and her parents were bald comedian
Pugo and comedienne Patsy. The mentally retardate brother was Bitoy played
by Bentot.

> Breakwater

Manila Bay was a popular swim area during the fifties and sixties. The spot
was popularly referred to as "breakwater."

> Intramuros

The Walled City. In the olden days, UP, Ateneo and UST used to be situated
there.

Today Intramuros houses the Manila Bulletin office; Manila High School, my
grandma's Alma Mater; Mapua Tech, my alma mater; Lyceum of the Philippines;
and Colegio de San Juan de Letran.

> Raon

Raon Street in Quiapo is now Gonzalo Puyat St. This is heaven for
electronics enthusiasts as all electronics paraphernalia is available
there.

> Lourdes

Lourdes School in Quezon City and Mandaluyong are run by the Caphuchin
fathers. The alumni in QC include Ramil and Pepito Rodriguez, Matt Ranillo
III, Retong our host flamer, and myself.

> La Loma

La Loma is suburb of Quezon City which known for the public cemetery and
for it's suckling pig lechon.

> Marikina

A town north-east of Quezon City. It is famous for it's shoe industry.

In addition to the above, see if you can identify the following:

1. Carriedo
2. Little Quiapo
3. OK Lang
4. D & E
5. Buhay Artista
6. Student Canteen
7. Pinalakang Tabing
8. Mga Aninong Gumagalaw
9. Aliw ng Tahanan
10. Ma Mon Luk
11. Choco Vim
12. Mariwasa
13. Emma de Cano
14. Everyday Holiday
15. The Sensations
16. Laura & Sons
17. Taliba
18. Pinagbuklod ng Langit
19. Wing Duo
20. Jingle/Twinkle
21. Motorco
22. Robina Farms
23. Kusing
24. De Dios
25. Love Bus

J. "Mr. Nostalgia" T.

T. Tinio

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Johnny Thor <johnn...@hotmail.com> wrote
:
: In addition to the above, see if you can identify the following:

:
: 1. Carriedo
: 2. Little Quiapo
: 3. OK Lang
: 4. D & E
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Doon kumakain si F & G, kanto ng Quezon at Roces Avenues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 5. Buhay Artista
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Starring ADING FERNANDO and BABALU. Mayroon pang dalawa, di ko matandaan,
eh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 6. Student Canteen
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dito na discover ni PETE ROA si BOOTS ANSON.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 7. Pinalakang Tabing

: 8. Mga Aninong Gumagalaw
: 9. Aliw ng Tahanan
: 10. Ma Mon Luk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ma Mon Luk, Ramon: refutedly the first to concoct CHICKEN MAMI. Before the
war, lumalabas sa INTRAMUROS ang mga lakwatserong Atenista to cross Jones
Bridge para magmerienda ng GUPIT na tinda ni Ma Mon Luk sa bangketa. GUPIT
was the original name of CHICKEN MAMI, dahil ginugupit ni Ma Mon Luk ang
MANOK na nilalagay sa MAMI. Paborito daw ng mga Atenista ang GUPIT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 11. Choco Vim
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Water-down MAGNOLIA CHOCOLAIT.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 12. Mariwasa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Manufacturer ng ceramic tiles na dinadaanan ng Honda Motorcycles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 13. Emma de Cano

: 14. Everyday Holiday
: 15. The Sensations

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard threat sa MAALIKAYA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 16. Laura & Sons

: 17. Taliba
: 18. Pinagbuklod ng Langit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ito ba yung sequel ng IGUINUHIT NG TADHANA? Based on the "TRUE TO LIFE
STORY" of FERDIE and MELDY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 19. Wing Duo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dalawang TOMBOY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 20. Jingle/Twinkle

: 21. Motorco
: 22. Robina Farms

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dito ina-alagaan ang mga AHAS na pinakakawalan sa ROBINSON'S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 23. Kusing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
½ ¢

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 24. De Dios
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sabi ni Nietzsche sa Spanish, " DedDios."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: 25. Love Bus
:

--
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
bRAM®S

Conrad Gonzalez

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

ADDENDUM:
Inday Theater

--
Conrad Gonzalez
Hanover, VA

BENJAMIN L. GUADIZ

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

In <01bc1d3e$f8fc6680$a50a3a9d@slamfest> "Johnny Thor"

<johnn...@hotmail.com> writes:

>Pietro E Reyes, III <per...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
><330658...@ix.netcom.com>...

(Kinartib ko iti adu)

>1. Carriedo = iskinita between Sta. Cruz and Quiapo. Dito binibili
yung mga sapatos pang-masa ... Maraming mandurukot.
Maraming nagkalat na Ilocano din sa lugar na ito.

>6. Student Canteen = magandang noontime TV program ito.
Lito Grospe ... and my most awaited moment was
the Quiz Corner.

>12. Mariwasa = Big-Time basketball team din ito noong araw.
Bago yung Crispa-Toyota rivalry, it wuz this
Crispa-Mariwasa labanan, ca. 1970-1972.

>21. Motorco = double-decked bus at ang rota'y Luneta to Baclaran
through Roxas Blvd., aka Dewey Blvd.
Beterano si Manong Eric sa Motorco na ito.
Kung sa taas ka naka-upo together with your GF,
just use your imgaination na lang ... :-)

>22. Robina Farms = feeds ito huh ... manok !!!

>24. De Dios = bus company. Meron De Dios sa Navotas, Tangos
and Malabon too in the late-50s and 60s.

>25. Love Bus = piggy bank ni Imelda (marami silang kickback
in the purchase of these HINO busses.)

(Matanda na ako, kasama ko sila ... ALAM NA PO NINYO !!!)

Romeo Arenzana

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

>TITINA RIGALIZ

Ito ba yung asawa ni Mr. T. Tinio?

Paul Bondoc

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Sali ako dito.

Eto naman ang sa akin:

Malabanan A. A.
Argo
Cloverleaf
Glenmore
Good Earth Emporium
Lido
Gitara
Bataan Matamis
Ang Tibay
Fat and Thin
Mongol
Hope
Union
Kuya Cesar
Nineteeners
Lundagin mo Baby

Slogans:

Inumin ng tunay na lalaki
Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan
Subok na matibay, subok na matatag (kaya pala bagsak)
"De Kalidad"

Paul

You may disagree with my opinion, but do so in a non profane manner.
Otherwise, I will simply ignore it!

Fred Amores

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

In <3309f183...@news.mindspring.com> pdbo...@mindspring.com (Paul

Bondoc) writes:

>Sali ako dito.
>
>Eto naman ang sa akin:
>
>Malabanan A. A.= Sundot bara at Sip-sip puso negro
>Argo
>Cloverleaf======= Balintawak interchange
>Glenmore========== Made to Order Shoes, mayroon pa Luciano shoes.
>Good Earth Emporium=== One stop department/grocery store sa Avenida
Rizal.
>Lido
>Gitara
>Bataan Matamis= paborit sigarillo ni Lolo Celo
>Ang Tibay= the best shoes in town circa commonwealth era.
>Fat and Thin= butong pakwan?
>Mongol= pencil
>Hope= sigarillo ng bayan
>Union= sigarillo ng mga siga

>Kuya Cesar
>Nineteeners
>Lundagin mo Baby
>
>Slogans:
>
>Inumin ng tunay na lalaki= Genebra San Miguel
>Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan= FM's slogan?
>Subok na matibay, subok na matatag (kaya pala bagsak= Banco Filipino?

>"De Kalidad"
>

>Paul
>
>You may disagree with my opinion, but do so in a non profane manner.
>Otherwise, I will simply ignore it!
Eto pa kabayan!

Tramvia SEATO
Peace Time UNIDO
Open City PPP
Tutuban

Iskul Bukol Pedro Bucaneg
Chicks na Chicks Francisco Baltazar
Aawitan Kita

Basi El Bimbo
Lambanog Salsa
Beergincoke Lambada

Diliman Republic Dobie Beams
Quarter Storm George Hamilton
Plaza Miranda Ronald Reagan

Pamulinawen Willy's
Dahil Sa Iyo Dangwa
Tuliro Sarao
BAL
Fil-Oil
Texaco M/V Dona Paz
M/V Karagatan

Tikbalang

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Johnny Thor of <johnn...@hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Feb 1997 01:56:28 GMT
>In addition to the above, see if you can identify the following:

>1. Carriedo
That is road going to Malacaniang Palace.

>2. Little Quiapo
The district of where Quiapo Church located.

>3. OK Lang
Expression ni Cachupoy

>4. D & E
Building at the corner of Quezon & Roces Avenue.

>5. Buhay Artista
Gossips Section of a Star Magazine.

>6. Student Canteen
Noon time variety show.

>7. Pinalakang Tabing
Old film show after Student Canteen.

>8. Mga Aninong Gumagalaw
Soap Opera of Cannel 7

>9. Aliw ng Tahanan
Cook cooking show

>10. Ma Mon Luk
A Chinese eatery at Cubao where you can eat chicken and beef noodles with
siopao.

11. Choco Vim
A chocolate soda.

12. Mariwasa
A basketball team

13. Emma de Cano
A bold actress

>14. Everyday Holiday
Department Store in Cubao

15. The Sensations
American Song by the Temptations

16. Laura & Sons
Department Store

17. Taliba
A newspaper in Filipino language

18. Pinagbuklod ng Langit
A soap opera in TV

>19. Wing Duo
A Japanese Character cartoon

20. Jingle/Twinkle
A candy

21. Motorco
A oil brand for automoblile and truck

>22. Robina Farms
A store for hams and preserved foods

23. Kusing
A title of a Komiks Magazine

24. De Dios
A bus liner

25. Love Bus
An aircondition volvo bus decorated with red & pink hearts and painted in
blue. The bus inspectors are nasty and rude.

Jun B.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

On 18 Feb 1997 01:56:28 GMT, "Johnny Thor" <johnn...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>In addition to the above, see if you can identify the following:

JT,

I'll give some of these a shot.

>1. Carriedo

Manila's shopping district for the common tao. I think SM had a spot
there, also ShoeWorld (na pinataob nga ng SM) and Good Earth Emporium.
GEE had a sort of amusement park at the top of their building, but I
never got to see it up close.

Ngayon, Uniwide at Isetann na yata ang sikat doon, at ang LRT ay may
stop that has stairs going straight into Uniwide.

>2. Little Quiapo

Popular "malt shoppe" once located along Espana Ave., in front of UST.
Famous for their halo-halo and maiz-con-hielo. We used to go there
some nights, after we close our store. That was also where I first
tasted Selecta Ice Cream.

>3. OK Lang

A TV Show in the seventies. Famous alumni include The Apo Hiking
Society, Tito, Vic, and Joey, and the late Ricky Manalo, Jr.

I remember them most for their holy-week take-up of Andrew LLoyd
Webber and Tim Rice's "Jesus Christ Superstar. They had Jim Paredes
playing Jesus and Boboy Garovillo playing Pontius Pilate. Can you
imagine what it looked like when Pilate was looking Jesus over, stops,
and looks up into Jesus' face singing "You look so small; not a king
at all."?

>4. D & E
>5. Buhay Artista
>6. Student Canteen

The first successful variety show sa tanghali. Hosted by Eddie Ilarde
and Bobby Ledesma. A few singers got their start from Student
Canteen's singing contests, although only Marco Sison comes to mind.

>7. Pinalakang Tabing

Pilipino for "Silver Screen", an afternoon program that showed old
Filipino movies dating from our "Golden Age of Cinema". Madalas
makita doon sina Carmen Rosales at Rogelio de la Rosa.

My dad used the show to fall asleep in the afternoons.

>8. Mga Aninong Gumagalaw
>9. Aliw ng Tahanan
>10. Ma Mon Luk

Popular Chinese food joint located along Quezon Blvd. near Banawe St.
Once accused of serving sio-miyaw. They're still around.

And I still like their mami.

>11. Choco Vim

Magnolia's choco drink in a bottle. Precursor to Choco-lait. Famous
for the chocolate settled at the bottom of the bottle. Kelangang
alugin mo ng husto para mahalo ang tsokolate, at parating bitin ang
isa -- either dahil konti lang ang laman, or dahil talagang masarap
(probably the latter).

>12. Mariwasa

Maker of ceramic tiles and other ceramic products. They have a
factory in Pasig, I believe, na hinihintuan parati ng G Liner na bus.

They also had a basketball team, that was up there with Crispa and
Toyota in the olden days of the PBA.

>13. Emma de Cano

A fancy dress shop along Quezon Blvd., near the Santo Domingo Church.
I think a son of the owners was my classmate in elementary over at
Angelicum School, incidentally situated within the Sto. Domingo Church
compound.

>14. Everyday Holiday
>15. The Sensations
>16. Laura & Sons
>17. Taliba

Pilipino tabloid newspaper, published by the same company who brings
us the Manila Bulletin. (o Balita ba iyon? I always mix up the two!)

>18. Pinagbuklod ng Langit

The movie detailing the rise of Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos, in their
words. I think Luis Gonzales played Apo Ferdy. Don't remember who
played Imelda though. Nida Blanca maybe?

>19. Wing Duo

A singing duo famous during the fifties. Can't remember if they're
American or Fil-American.

>20. Jingle/Twinkle

Two young stars during the seventies. Kabarkada nina Arnold Gamboa,
Dondon Nakar, at Roderick Paulate.

Incidentally, Jingle is also a music magazine.

>21. Motorco

(shot in the dark) The double-decker buses that ply the Luneta.

>22. Robina Farms

Makers of Jack and Jill snacks. I love Chippy and Chiz Curls.

>23. Kusing
>24. De Dios

Bus company plying the Cubao-Quiapo (via Espana) route (I think).

>25. Love Bus

The first air-conditioned bus seen in Metro Manila, from the Metro
Manila Transit Corporation (said to be owned by the Marcoses).

>J. "Mr. Nostalgia" T.

T.M. Bong

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

> >Boie = Botica Boie sa may Quiapo ba???

Hanggang dito so tate eh gianagamit na rin nang
hip hop culture. you know......yiiiiehhhhhhh boei!

Bong Reyes

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Pietro E Reyes, III wrote:

> For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
> take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these are
> and what they represented for that particular generation. Some are long
> gone while others are still around. For those who remember more, please
> feel free to add to this list.
>
> For those who grew up overseas (not in the Philippines) and wish to find
> out more about the country your parents (and possibly, your
> grandparents) left behind, you can printout this list and ask your
> parents (and grandparents) what these are and, more importantly, how
> these represented the generation in which your parents grew up. These
> are only a few "memory hooks" but your parents (and grandparents) will
> probably come up with more once they get started...
>
> Tancho Tique

Parating nasa counter ng banyo ng lolo ko.

> Three Flowers

Pangsipon, sakit ng ulo, sprain, aching muscles. D' wonder drug.

> Superman

Ang naalala ko lang dito ay yung Superman teks na pinanalo ko sa kaklase
ko.

> Elephant (or Lion) Katol

Kapag walang kulambo.

> Yco

Yung pintura o basketball team?

> R M Manlapat

24 hour barong service!

> Gulapa

Ha?

> del Rosario

Middle name ko yan ha.

> Elpo

Hindi ba pagkain 'to ng aso? Ay Alpo pala yun.

> Low Waist

Pang mga malalaki ang tiyan.

> lawlaw

Sira na yung garter.

> Continental

Yung sa ngongo jokes?

> Banlon
>
> Niknik
>
> Bangbang
>
> Sakbayan

Classic recreational vehicle.

> Velosolex
>
> Lambretta
>
> Reddy Kilowatt
>
> Radiowealth

Ang radyo ng bayan.

> Philco
>
> Boie
>
> Everlast
>
> Gregg

Sapatos ko 'to nung grade school ako.

> Berg's
>
> Aguinaldo's

> La Estrella del Norte
>
> Hickock's
>
> Sison
>

> Bireley's
>
> Underwood
>
> P B Dionisio
>
> Talk of the Town
>
> Brown Derby
>
> Bayside

> Bulakena
>
> San Miguel (Tarlac)
>
> Duckpins
>

> Tawag ng Tanghalan

Ang nagpasikat kay Nora.

> Sebya, Mahal Kita
>
> Breakwater
>
> Intramuros
>
> Raon
>
> Lourdes
>
> La Loma
>
> Marikina

Sapatos!
--
~ ~
====================(.)(.)=============================================

"To give and not to count the cost..."
-St. Ignatius of Loyola

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

bastos wrote:

> Sapatos, Baboy at Funeral Parlors. Para sa mga Atenista, a
> great view from the Pergola.

Pergola? Kainan sa grade 5 wing, sa itaas ng lightning football field,
baseball diamond at rock garden.

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Fred Amores wrote:

> In <330658...@ix.netcom.com> "Pietro E Reyes, III"

> <per...@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> >
> >For those who left the Philippines more than a decade ago and wish to
> >take a stroll down memory lane, you can probably identify what these
> are
> >and what they represented for that particular generation. Some are
> long
> >gone while others are still around. For those who remember more,
> please
> >feel free to add to this list.
> >
> >For those who grew up overseas (not in the Philippines) and wish to
> find
> >out more about the country your parents (and possibly, your
> >grandparents) left behind, you can printout this list and ask your
> >parents (and grandparents) what these are and, more importantly, how
> >these represented the generation in which your parents grew up. These
> >are only a few "memory hooks" but your parents (and grandparents) will
> >probably come up with more once they get started...
>
> Sakbayan- Filipino-designed car (VW- Guevarra Company) sa E.Rodriguez
> Ave.,Quezon City.
>
> Everlast- maker of sporting goods
>
> Sison- Jose Maria Sison a.k.a. Amado Guerrero founder CPP ?????
>
> P. B. Dionisio- distributor of guns made by Squires-Bingham Philippines
> in Parang, Marikina. They sell ala' AK-47 .22 cal. rifle and Armalite
> style .22 cal. rifle intended for security guards.
>
> Bulakena sa avenida Rizal masarap ang kanilang bibingka.
>
> Duckpins- "Dakpin si Romy Jalosjos Patay o Buhay"-FVR???
>
> Arsenio Lacson- playboy sponsor/backer ni Imelda Romualdez pagka- Miss
> Manila contest at namatay sa sobrang ligaya.
>
> How about these?
>
> Sio Hok Tong,

Inumin ng mga intsik.

> TiKi-Tiki,
> Perla,

Sabong panlaba.

> La Campana, Sarsaparilla, Sunken
> Garden,

Sa UP 'to!

> La Malorca-Pambusco,
> Crispa,

Kalaban ng Toyota!

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

T. Tinio wrote:

> Pietro E Reyes, III <per...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
> <3307BF...@ix.netcom.com>...
> : Fred Amores wrote:
> If I remember right, the former name of EDSA was Epifanio delos Santos
> Avenue and the former name of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue was Hi-way 54!
> Who the heck was Epifanio delos Santos? Anyone?
>
> -------------------------------------
> When I was a kid, pinatatao ako ng aking ankol sa kanyang sari-sari store
> (late 50s, early 60s). I could remember many things, like...
> MACHACAO
> GURGORIA
> KABABAYAN
> PASENCIA

Cookies?

> YEBANA
> PURICO

Flour?

> TITINA RIGALIZ
> NAMARCO
> TIKTIK

Porno 'to 'di ba?

> TIRA-TIRA

Masarap na kendi 'to!

> SAN PABLO
> CORTAL

Pang-headache.

> GA-AS

Gasolinang panluto.

> DEL MAR
> BAYANI
> PERMINANTE
> etc.

> Can you identify what these are?
>

> --
> vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
> bRAMŽS

> bra...@intergate.bc.ca
> vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
> "Insanity is doing same things over and over again
> expecting a different result." --- Rita Mae Brown
> "Insanity is doing same things over and over again
> expecting a different resutl." --- Rita Mae Brown

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Paul Bondoc wrote:

> Sali ako dito.
>
> Eto naman ang sa akin:
>
> Malabanan A. A. - Taga sipsip ng ebak.
> Argo
> Cloverleaf - Vaudeville Theater
> Glenmore - Shoes

> Good Earth Emporium
> Lido
> Gitara
> Bataan Matamis
> Ang Tibay - Sapatos
> Fat and Thin
> Mongol - Lapis
> Hope - Yosi
> Union
> Kuya Cesar - SlowMotion mag salita

> Nineteeners
> Lundagin mo Baby
>
> Slogans:
>
> Inumin ng tunay na lalaki - Tanduay

> Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan
> Subok na matibay, subok na matatag (kaya pala bagsak) - Banko Filipino?

> "De Kalidad"
>
> Paul
>
> You may disagree with my opinion, but do so in a non profane manner.
> Otherwise, I will simply ignore it!

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Tikbalang wrote:

> [...]
>
> Oh! that is found in Manila bay where squatters use as residences.
>
> > Intramuros
>
> Known as the site of Chatedral Church and you can see relics and old
> houses. I saw the Museum that displays the belonging of Dr. Jose Rizal.
> Nice place.
>
> > Raon
>
> That is still alive today where you can find money exchangers, spare parts
> and beer houses. Very exciting places.
>
> > Lourdes
>
> That is found in Baguio City. I was there too.
>
> The Virgin Mary?
>
> Is that in Antipolo and never there in my life.
>
> > La Loma
>
> Where the drinking water resources comes from. I passed there before and
> nice place too for picnic.
>
> > Marikina
>
> My friends bought houses there. It is still known for small scale

Lakas amats p're!

> Maalikaya

Uuuuyyyy! Huli kitang lumabas duon. Amoy polbo ka pa!

> Rotunda

Welcome?

> Barrio Fiesta

Bulalo Steak!

> Freddie Aguilar

Anak!

> Florante

Yung singer o yung syota ni Laura?

> Divisoria

Shopping Mall

> Voltes Five

Let's Volt Innnnn!!! Laser Sword!!!!

> Flor de Luna

Katapat ni Anna Lisa.

> Toothpick
>
> Pepsi
>
> Kambingan
>
> Nino Mullach
>
> Fiesta Carnival

Sakay tayo ng Moonwalk!

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

T. Tinio wrote:

> adelle ignacio <a.ig...@internetMCI.com> wrote
> :
> : ay excuse me po tatang... hindi po iyon Bangbang, iyon po ay Bambang!!
> :
> tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttnyo
>
> ikaw naman, neneng, nakakasakit ka ng damdamin. Bagets pa rin ako! Let's
> see if you could identify these:
>
> ILES DE TULES

Dr. Garmas Clinic sa Aurora Blvd?

> BARCLAYS

Baclaran!!!

Benjamin Guadiz

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to pdbo...@mindspring.com

Paul Bondoc wrote:

> Sali ako dito.
>
> Eto naman ang sa akin:

=============================
MY TURN:

> Cloverleaf = Balintawak Cloverleaf/Cloverleaf na sinehan in Balintawak. Bayad = PP1.50 at ang daming
surot !!! Kalat pati ang mga bote ng beer;
maraming babaeng bayaran sa loob pala at
ang bayad lang yata nila eh PP5.00 - alam
na PO natin kung mga extra-curricular activities
na aking tinutukoy

> Glenmore = pasadyang balat na sapatos; another store ay yung A.C.Carps sa may Avenida.

> Good Earth Emporium = sikat na department store ito noong 70s. Dito din bumili ng isang gift si Manong Paul
para sa kanyang ... hulaan na lang PO ninyo.

> Bataan Matamis = together with Balitawak Regaliz eh long, brown cigarettes pang-matanda. Usually comes in 30 sticks
per pack

> Ang Tibay = Manong Pietro answered this already Manong Paul

> Mongol = LAPIS !!! (Story is told of an Ilocano father who, when asked by his Grade 1 son yung English ng
lapis eh, sinabi niyang "Gago, stupido ...,
MONGOL kamo ...!!!"

> Hope = cigarilyo
> Union = cemento and also cigarilyo

> Slogans:
>
> Inumin ng tunay na lalaki = Ginebra San Miguel

> Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan = mukhang Ariel Ureta yata ito. Balita ko dinakip daw
siya't pinagbisikleta sa
Camp Crame.

> Subok na matibay, subok na matatag (kaya pala bagsak) = Banco Filipino; sikat na sikat na bangko ito noong araw just like Family
Savings Bank. This bank was declared insolvent in 1984(???)
but recent Supreme Court rulings paved the way for its
resumption of operations.

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

T. Tinio wrote:

> Tikbalang <tikb...@aol.com> wrote
> :
> : > del Rosario

> :
> : I have a neighbor that has a last name of Del Rosario. Their origin is
> : from Cebu.
> Magkapatid na nagtayo ng marketing company--DRB (Del Rosario Brothers
> Marketing). Mga home appliances ang tinda.

Teka. Lolo ko 'yun ah.

Bambam Q.

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

BENJAMIN L. GUADIZ wrote:

> ADDENDUM:
>
> Calumpang/Bocaue/Grace Park

Laguna!

> Spud/Chesterfield/Union
>
> San Lazaro

Karera Tayo!

> Bilibid

Muntinlupa!

> Culion Colony/Tala
>
> Ang Tibay

Sapatos!

> Arsenio Lacson

Sayaw tayo!

> Rural Transit/LBL
>
> Halili
>
> Kwentong Kutsero
>
> Progress
>
> Golden Award
>
> Divisoria/Central Market
>
> Apeng Daldal/Babalo

Katawatawa!!

> Gabriel "Flash" Elorde

Masakit sumapak!

> Q.I.
>
> Playboy/Palace

Silahis Hotel!

T. Tinio

Magno Cabanayan

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97
to Tikbalang

On 16 Feb 1997, Tikbalang wrote:

> > R M Manlapat
>
> Wanted as Most Public enemy No. 1
>
> > Gulapa
>
> Is this a food?
>

> > del Rosario
>
> I have a neighbor that has a last name of Del Rosario. Their origin is
> from Cebu.

Ito ay mga "Sastre"/ "Tailoring. Ramon Manlapat, Dan Gulapa at Vic del
Rosario.

Magno

joey c.cruz

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Paul Bondoc wrote:

> Sali ako dito.
>
> Eto naman ang sa akin:
>
> Malabanan A. A.
> Argo
> Cloverleaf
> Glenmore
> Good Earth Emporium
> Lido
> Gitara
> Bataan Matamis
> Ang Tibay

> Paul

Ako sali din....
malabanan : Excavation Services
cloverleaf: Di ba yon yong Welcome to Q.C. Rotonda?
Glenmore : BOOTS
Gitara : Posporong Gitara
Ang Tibay : Sapatos pa rin Mocassin
Fat & Tin : Champoy
Mongol : Lapis
Union : Sigalyo smagol galing sa Honkong
Hope : Sigarilyo pa rin (blue seal kuno)
Lundagin Mo Baby: Programa ni Johnny de Leon sa umaga yata

Inumin ng tunay na lalaki : Ginebra San Miguel
ELPO : Elpo rubber shoes
Gulapa : beri gud Sastre

Pedro Penduko

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

> ILES DE TULES
>
> BARCLAYS

ilalim ng tulay sa quiapo

baclaran

--
Pedro Penduko
^ ________^

T. Tinio <bra...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote in article
<01bc1e2d$1c23c880$6dc2...@bramos.intergate.bc.ca>...

> adelle ignacio <a.ig...@internetMCI.com> wrote
> :
> : ay excuse me po tatang... hindi po iyon Bangbang, iyon po ay Bambang!!
> :
> tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttnyo
>
> ikaw naman, neneng, nakakasakit ka ng damdamin. Bagets pa rin ako! Let's
> see if you could identify these:

Bambam Q.

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Fred Amores wrote:

> In <3309f183...@news.mindspring.com> pdbo...@mindspring.com (Paul
> Bondoc) writes:
> >
> >Sali ako dito.
> >
> >Eto naman ang sa akin:
> >
> >Malabanan A. A.= Sundot bara at Sip-sip puso negro
> >Argo
> >Cloverleaf======= Balintawak interchange
> >Glenmore========== Made to Order Shoes, mayroon pa Luciano shoes.
> >Good Earth Emporium=== One stop department/grocery store sa Avenida
> Rizal.
> >Lido
> >Gitara
> >Bataan Matamis= paborit sigarillo ni Lolo Celo
> >Ang Tibay= the best shoes in town circa commonwealth era.
> >Fat and Thin= butong pakwan?
> >Mongol= pencil
> >Hope= sigarillo ng bayan
> >Union= sigarillo ng mga siga
> >Kuya Cesar
> >Nineteeners
> >Lundagin mo Baby
> >
> >Slogans:
> >
> >Inumin ng tunay na lalaki= Genebra San Miguel
> >Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan= FM's slogan?
> >Subok na matibay, subok na matatag (kaya pala bagsak= Banco Filipino?

> >"De Kalidad"
> >

> >Paul
> >
> >You may disagree with my opinion, but do so in a non profane manner.
> >Otherwise, I will simply ignore it!
> Eto pa kabayan!
>
> Tramvia - Di ba sasakyan 'to? SEATO - So. East Asian Treaty Org?
> Peace Time UNIDO - Partido ni Doy
> Open City PPP
> Tutuban
>
> Iskul Bukol - Tito, Vic & Joey Pedro Bucaneg
> Chicks na Chicks - Carmi Martin Francisco Baltazar
> Aawitan Kita - Armida Sigyon-Reyna
>
> Basi - Rice wine? El Bimbo
> Lambanog - Coconut wine? Salsa
> Beergincoke Lambada
>
> Diliman Republic Dobie Beams - syota ni Makoy
> Quarter Storm George Hamilton - syota (daw) ni Imelda
> Plaza Miranda - Putukan blues Ronald Reagan - Syota rin ni Makoy

> Pamulinawen Willy's
> Dahil Sa Iyo Dangwa
> Tuliro Sarao - Jeepney
> BAL
> Fil-Oil
> Texaco M/V Dona Paz - Di ba lumubog 'to?
> M/V Karagatan

Benjamin Guadiz

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97
to Fred Amores, bl...@primenet.com
> Bondoc) writes: =======================================================================
> Eto pa kabayan!
>
> Tramvia = trolley cars sa Maynila noong Commonwealth days SEATO = Southeast Asia Treaty Organization
> Peace Time = pre-World War 2 days sa Pinas UNIDO = party headed by Salvador "Doy" Laurel ca. 1980s
> Open City = MacArthur declared Manila "Open City" immediately after Japanese planes bombed The Philippines 12/08/1941.
PPP = Raul Manglapus' Party for Philippine Progress, 1965
aka "PATAY-PATAY PARTY" !!!
> Tutuban = istasyon ng Manila Railroad Company, BAL at LBL. Panginoong Diyos, pagkadami naman ng mga mandurokot
at hustlers sa lugar na ito !!!

> Iskul Bukol = Yoyoy Villame Pedro Bucaneg = drama, play, poems, "Bucanegan" oratory (ILOCANO)
Francisco Baltazar = Poet laureate (Balagtasan)

> Basi = R-OH (alcoholic drink from sugar cane) El Bimbo = sayaw nag-hit in the mid-70s
> Lambanog = inumin ng aking mga OLDS ito sa Laoac, Pangasinan. Once inebriated, I truly admired their prowess in
great diction, fluency and grammatically-correct English usage.
Salsa = sayaw (masamang-masama kung kasama yung "L" na titik sa end
ng "Salsa") :-)
> Beergincoke = pinaghalo ng San Miguel BEER/GINebra San Miguel at "COKES"; pag-lasing na yung mga participants sa DRINKING SPREE,
ilalabas naman nila yung "JOHNNY WALKER-Black" na FAKE.
Iyung pala'y it's a mixture of Coke and Ginebra. Same kulay.
Lambada = sayaw na may grinding-grinding of the hips/pelvis ng lalaki
at babae. Mag-ingat sa SELOSONG asawa or BF.

> Diliman Republic = UP Dobie Beams = girlfriend, AMONGST OTHERS, of my IDOL Ferdinand E. Marcos
> Quarter Storm = First Quarter Storm (January 26 & 30, 1970) George Hamilton = sabi nila kabit daw siya ni Imelda or was it the other way???
> Plaza Miranda = Magsaysay's "Can we defend this in Plaza Miranda???"; this is the place where the opposition party usually
introduces its slate and harangues the crowd with BOMBA
exposes against the incumbent administration.
Remember the August 21, 1971 Plaza Miranda bombing ...

Ronald Reagan = kaibigan nila Apo and Meldi-ta

> Pamulinawen = peyborit na kanta ni Batac Lover Boy Willy's = jeep owner ito CON tambutsong maingay. Sakay na kayo mga
chix !!!
> Dahil Sa Iyo = Imelda's favorite song Dangwa = bus transportation owned, and patronized mostly, by
the highlanders, ethnically called Igorots.
> Tuliro = kumo-kugit Sarao = pampasadang jeep.
> BAL = Benguet Auto Line (Manila - Baguio route)
> Fil-Oil = gas and oil accessories
> Texaco = gas and oil accessories M/V Dona Paz = sank in 1984 with a great loss of lives.
Balita ko hanggang ngayon eh HINDI pa na-determine
kung sinong may kasalanan.
> M/V Karagatan = some FISHY and quite unbelievable landing of arms off Digoyo Point, Palanan, Isabela in 1972. This
was the boat involved in that "landing". Marcos
used this as one of the reasons in his Martial Law
declaration in September, 1972.

T. Tinio

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Jun B. <ju...@pathcom.com> wrote
:
: >18. Pinagbuklod ng Langit

:
: The movie detailing the rise of Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos, in their
: words. I think Luis Gonzales played Apo Ferdy. Don't remember who
: played Imelda though. Nida Blanca maybe?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Si Gloria Romero.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:
: >19. Wing Duo

:
: A singing duo famous during the fifties. Can't remember if they're
: American or Fil-American.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Couldn't remember the names. One is a white-Russian. Like the HoodJoes,
mayroon din mga refugees from the Russian Revolution na nagsettle sa
Manila. Two other notable descendants in showbiz were: Ronald Remy
(Kokorotzchin) and Nenette Nedved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:
: >20. Jingle/Twinkle

T. Tinio

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

: > >Malabanan A. A.= Sundot bara at Sip-sip puso negro

: > >Argo
: > >Cloverleaf======= Balintawak interchange
: > >Glenmore========== Made to Order Shoes, mayroon pa Luciano shoes.
: > >Good Earth Emporium=== One stop department/grocery store sa Avenida
: > Rizal.
: > >Lido
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beach resort sa PranaQ, katabi (?) ng El Faro--popular puntahan sa gabi ng
gustong mag-necking-necking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > >Gitara
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Favorite na instrumento si POSPORO Luna.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > >Bataan Matamis= paborit sigarillo ni Lolo Celo

: > >Ang Tibay= the best shoes in town circa commonwealth era.
: > >Fat and Thin= butong pakwan?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tsampoy!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > >Mongol= pencil

: > >Hope= sigarillo ng bayan
: > >Union= sigarillo ng mga siga
: > >Kuya Cesar
: > >Nineteeners

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nagmamadali akong umu-uwi to watch TESSIE ALFONSO (remember her?).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > >Lundagin mo Baby
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Johnny I couldn't remember the last name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > >
: > >Slogans:

: > >
: > >Inumin ng tunay na lalaki= Genebra San Miguel
: > >Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan= FM's slogan?
: > >Subok na matibay, subok na matatag (kaya pala bagsak= Banco Filipino?
: > >"De Kalidad"
: > >
: > >
: > >Paul
: > >
: > >You may disagree with my opinion, but do so in a non profane manner.
: > >Otherwise, I will simply ignore it!

: > =======================================================================
: > Eto pa kabayan!
: >
: > Tramvia - Di ba sasakyan 'to? SEATO - So. East Asian Treaty

Org?
: > Peace Time UNIDO - Partido ni Doy
: > Open City PPP
: > Tutuban

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Spaniards commissioned a German company to build this train station
along CALLE AZCARRAGA. Tunog ng tren (TOOT-TOOT). Way in German (Bahn).
Hence the name--TOOT-TOOT BAHN became Tutuban.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LB

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

BENJAMIN L. GUADIZ wrote:

> Playboy/Palace

Hoy, Mister Playboy! How come you have too many e-mail addresses? Are
those thirty days trials or
do you get them free? Ingit naman. Ako nga dito hindi makabayad ng
monthly payment ko. Baka puwede
kitang gatasan? tsup!

kisses & kisses,
LB

riz laguna

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

In article <01bc206b$e042e080$d3b5...@bramos.intergate.bc.ca>,
bra...@intergate.bc.ca says...

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>: > >
>: > >Slogans:
>: > >
>: > >Inumin ng tunay na lalaki= Genebra San Miguel
>: > >Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan= FM's slogan?
>: > >Subok na matibay, subok na matatag (kaya pala bagsak= Banco Filipino?
>: > >"De Kalidad"
>: > >
>: >

heto, panyero:

sa amerika ang umihi sa publiko ay "against the law," sa Pinas it is against

the wall.

#######

ang sabi ng mga aktibista, "panahon ng makibaka," ang sabi ni dolphy, "pana-

hon na ng lansones."

#######

kapag ang utot ay maingay, wala itong amoy; kapag tahimik ang utot, ito'y

mabaho.

######

Dante Amores

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

T. Tinio wrote:

(stuff deleted)

> : >19. Wing Duo
> :
> : A singing duo famous during the fifties. Can't remember if they're
> : American or Fil-American.

The Pinay tomboy is a daughter of Katy dela Cruz,
the blondie is an Aussie. Can't remember their names either.

G'day,
Dante

Dante Amores

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

T. Tinio wrote:
(stuff dleted)

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> : > >Bataan Matamis= paborit sigarillo ni Lolo Celo

Paborito rin ni Ngo-ngo.

> : > >Lundagin mo Baby
> Johnny I couldn't remember the last name.

> Johnny DE LEON (ABS-CBN), boss ni Ngo-ngo sa commercial nilang:
"Mataan Manamit".

G'day,
Dante