Top High Schools in the Philippines

Kenneth Ilio

Oct 12, 1993, 10:47:04 PM10/12/93

Here's a list of the top 50 high school recently released by the Department
of Education. See if your alma mater is on the list ...

The ranking is based on student's performance over the last 5 years in the
National Collegiate Entrance Examination. While the reliability of the NCEE
should not be used as the sole indicator of a school's academic standards,
it does offer one criterion for evaluating the schools.

Of the leading 50 high schools, only eight are public schools, most of which
are affiliated with the University of the Philippines system (interestingly
enough, the main UP High School in Diliman where I graduated from is not on
the list boo-hoo-hoo) or science high schools. All the others are private
schools, mostly parochial Roman Catholic schools including seminaries.
Chinese Filipino schools also figure prominently.

(MOre about the analysis later since the computer room is going to close):

1. Phil Sci High School Quezon City
2. Andres Soriano Memorial HS Toledo City
3. Xavier School Quezon City
4. Mother Goose Special Sci HS Dagupan
5. Ateneo de Manila University HS Quezon City
6. Immaculate Heart of Mary Seminary Bohol
7. Faith Academy Rizal
8. Immaculate Concepcion Seminary Bulacan
9. Manila Science High School Manila
10. Cebu International School Cebu City
11. Sacred Heart School Tacloban
12. Saint Pius X Seminary Roxas City
13. Science Development HS of Aklan Kalibo *yay* (My neices are going
there!)
14. De La Salle Zobel HS Pasay
15. Dole Philippines School South Cotabato
16. Santiago Cultural Institute Isabela
17. Immaculate Cocepcion Minor Semin Ilocos Sur (pang ilang immaculate na
ba to?)
18. Cebu City National Science HS Cebu City
19. Quezon City Science HS Quezon City
20. Sto Nino Seminary Aklan *yay* (Two nephews are going
there!)
21. Philippine Science HS Davao City
22. Bohol Wisdom School Bohol (ano to? HS for dentistas?)
23. Sacred Heart School for Boys Cebu City
24. Southridge Pasay
25. St Peter, the Apostle Manila

The other 25 next time na lang ...

Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.

Oct 13, 1993, 10:06:50 AM10/13/93
In article <29fq78$k...@news.acns.nwu.edu> fl...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Kenneth Ilio) writes:

>Here's a list of the top 50 high school recently released by the Department
>of Education. See if your alma mater is on the list ...

>1. Phil Sci High School Quezon City

>21. Philippine Science HS Davao City

This can't be right. Was there a typo somewhere?

--
Virgilio "Dean" Velasco Jr, Department of Electrical Eng'g and Applied Physics
graduate student slave, roboticist-in-training and Q wannabee

Arturo C. Tumbokon Jr.

Oct 13, 1993, 10:08:46 AM10/13/93
Anybody in this cyberspace from Manila Science High School?

Marco Claro Pineda

Oct 13, 1993, 1:40:14 PM10/13/93

Kenneth Ilio <fl...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> wrote:

>Here's a list of the top 50 high school recently released by the Department
>of Education. See if your alma mater is on the list ...
>
>The ranking is based on student's performance over the last 5 years in the
>National Collegiate Entrance Examination. While the reliability of the NCEE
>should not be used as the sole indicator of a school's academic standards,
>it does offer one criterion for evaluating the schools.
>
>Of the leading 50 high schools, only eight are public schools, most of which
>are affiliated with the University of the Philippines system (interestingly
>enough, the main UP High School in Diliman where I graduated from is not on
>the list boo-hoo-hoo) or science high schools. All the others are private
>schools, mostly parochial Roman Catholic schools including seminaries.
>Chinese Filipino schools also figure prominently.
>
>(MOre about the analysis later since the computer room is going to close):
>
>1. Phil Sci High School Quezon City

Have these guys ever been beat? Phil Sci's reputation is well
deserved IMHO, everyone I've met from there has been sharp as a tack.

>2. Andres Soriano Memorial HS Toledo City

Is this school a part of the UP system, too?

>3. Xavier School Quezon City

I'm glad to see MY alma mater still here. Although XS is in San Juan
unless that town is considered part of QC now.

I'm wondering if the criteria was the percentage of the student body
with high NCEE scores or a straight number (as in how many with high
scores?) Also, does the preponderance of science schools indicate a
bias toward that kind of aptitude as opposed to the liberal arts?
Just wondering aloud, no flames intended or desired.

Is there a similar ranking for colleges, based perhaps on the Pilipino
equivalent of the GREs (what would that be?)

-A Xaverian AND Philippinensian-

* Columbia hasn't got an opinion worth expressing. | mc...@columbia.edu *
* "Carpe Cibum" | Marco Pineda *

Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.

Oct 13, 1993, 2:21:02 PM10/13/93
In article <bernal.750532753@spssig> ber...@spss.com (Raoul Bernal) writes:

>v...@mrdata.eeap.cwru.edu (Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.) writes:
>
>>In article <29fq78$k...@news.acns.nwu.edu> fl...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Kenneth Ilio) writes:
>>>
>>>Here's a list of the top 50 high school recently released by the Department
>>>of Education. See if your alma mater is on the list ...
>
>>>1. Phil Sci High School Quezon City
>
>>>21. Philippine Science HS Davao City
>
>>This can't be right. Was there a typo somewhere?
>
>I heard there is already a Phil. Science High school established in
>Davao, for local kids with high aptitude who can't make it to Quezon City.
>I think this was explained to me by a netter who's from PSHS.

Why does it have the same name (assuming this is not simply a typo)?
You'd think people would give different schools distinctive names.
(e.g. Ateneo de Manila, Ateneo de Davao, etc.)

Raoul Bernal

Oct 13, 1993, 1:19:13 PM10/13/93
v...@mrdata.eeap.cwru.edu (Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.) writes:

>In article <29fq78$k...@news.acns.nwu.edu> fl...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Kenneth Ilio) writes:
>>
>>Here's a list of the top 50 high school recently released by the Department
>>of Education. See if your alma mater is on the list ...

>>1. Phil Sci High School Quezon City

>>21. Philippine Science HS Davao City

>This can't be right. Was there a typo somewhere?

I heard there is already a Phil. Science High school established in

Davao, for local kids with high aptitude who can't make it to Quezon City.
I think this was explained to me by a netter who's from PSHS.

I am interested in the sampling scheme used in the survey, though.
I hope Ken can provide more information about that. Is it safe to assume
that an average for each school was computed from ALL of each school's
graduates the past 5 years? Did DEC compute these averages themselves?
Did they sample from the traditionally-bigger populated schools?

Re: the average itself: Did they look at raw scores, or did they average the
percentile rating scores from the students?

My school is on the top 25 list :), but I'm still interested in DEC's
sampling scheme (if any). I, too, can't believe UP High Schools didn't
figure in the top 25 list.

-Raoul
The opinions expressed are those of | "In theory, there is no
the author and not of SPSS, Inc. | difference between theory
---------------------------------------| and practice. In practice,
ber...@spss.com Phone:(312)329-3370 | there is."
Raoul A. Bernal FAX :(312)329-3657 | - Symbolic Logic Conference

Raoul Bernal

Oct 13, 1993, 3:18:21 PM10/13/93
v...@nomad.eeap.cwru.edu (Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.) writes:

>In article <bernal.750532753@spssig> ber...@spss.com (Raoul Bernal) writes:
>>v...@mrdata.eeap.cwru.edu (Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.) writes:
>>
>>>This can't be right. Was there a typo somewhere?
>>
>>I heard there is already a Phil. Science High school established in
>>Davao, for local kids with high aptitude who can't make it to Quezon City.
>>I think this was explained to me by a netter who's from PSHS.

>Why does it have the same name (assuming this is not simply a typo)?
>You'd think people would give different schools distinctive names.
>(e.g. Ateneo de Manila, Ateneo de Davao, etc.)

The way I remember it now, it's really a branch of the PSHS. (Although
I am not sure where PSHS-Visayas is at, if ever there's one). I know that
the purpose of establishing regional science high schools is that the govern-
ment wants to make available the kind of training at PSHS to other areas of
the country, sort of decentralization.

It's just like UP. There's UP Los Banos, UP Visayas, UP Cebu, UP Davao.
I think I read this from the scf thread before about PSHS. Maybe Richard
Sucgang knows - or other PSHS alumni out there?

Jerome Khohayting

Oct 13, 1993, 3:07:07 PM10/13/93
mc...@namaste.cc.columbia.edu (Marco Claro Pineda) writes:
> >1. Phil Sci High School Quezon City

> Have these guys ever been beat? ...

Yup... Xavier was #1 in 1989...

Jerome

Desmond Chan

Oct 14, 1993, 5:10:51 AM10/14/93

What no GCHS? :) Must be a misprint! :)

| chee...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Bee-Man) . JUST DO IT in PLANET REEBOK|

Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.

Oct 14, 1993, 12:56:21 PM10/14/93
In article <29j52r$i...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au> chee...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au (Desmond Chan) writes:

> What no GCHS? :) Must be a misprint! :)

Grace Christian does have a pretty good track record, in my
subjective experience. Most of the people I've met from there
are pretty good. Not all, but most.

Mary Rose L. Suarez

Oct 14, 1993, 11:32:17 AM10/14/93
In article <bernal.750539901@spssig> ber...@spss.com (Raoul Bernal) writes:

|> ber...@spss.com (Raoul Bernal) writes:
|>
|> v...@nomad.eeap.cwru.edu (Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.) writes:

|> >Why does it have the same name (assuming this is not simply a typo)?
|> >You'd think people would give different schools distinctive names.
|> >(e.g. Ateneo de Manila, Ateneo de Davao, etc.)
|>
|> The way I remember it now, it's really a branch of the PSHS. (Although
|> I am not sure where PSHS-Visayas is at, if ever there's one). I know that
|> the purpose of establishing regional science high schools is that the govern-
|> ment wants to make available the kind of training at PSHS to other areas of
|> the country, sort of decentralization.
|>
|> It's just like UP. There's UP Los Banos, UP Visayas, UP Cebu, UP Davao.
|> I think I read this from the scf thread before about PSHS. Maybe Richard
|> Sucgang knows - or other PSHS alumni out there?

I wasn't even aware that there is a PSHS in Davao. Anyway, I don't know about
decentralization as the reason for its existence because PSHS training is
available to all areas of the country. The entrance exams are conducted
nationally, and passing test scores vary according to region. Tuition and books
are free, and monthly stipends are given based on the student's family income.
If I remember correctly, they have about 5 income level brackets. Besides, one
of the greatest things about Pisay for me was the diversity of the student body.

- Mary Rose

Marlon R Abayan

Oct 14, 1993, 2:58:07 PM10/14/93
In article <SUAREZ.93O...@carrera.shell.com>, sua...@carrera.shell.com (Mary Rose L. Suarez) writes:

|> I wasn't even aware that there is a PSHS in Davao. Anyway, I don't know about
|> decentralization as the reason for its existence because PSHS training is
|> available to all areas of the country. The entrance exams are conducted
|> nationally, and passing test scores vary according to region. Tuition and books
|> are free, and monthly stipends are given based on the student's family income.
|> If I remember correctly, they have about 5 income level brackets. Besides, one
|> of the greatest things about Pisay for me was the diversity of the student body.
|>

|> - Mary Rose

Hmm...if I remember correctly, some of the pisay faculty gave the following
reasons (or speculations?) for the addition of more pisay "clones" :

a) Without PSHS Davao (etc), the entrace exam cutoff score for Metro Manila
students entering PSHS was much higher than the cutoff scores for students from
some provinces because the idea was to spread the "free high school" privileges
evenly among the provinces. This caused an undesireable rift between the
better-prepared Metro Manila students and some of the people from the provinces
who didn't happen to have as good a science/math background. With the creation
of PSHS Davao (and soon PSHS in Cebu?), the student population in these schools
will hopefully have a lower standard deviation of entrance exam scores (i.e.
similar levels of preparation) and so the curriculum for each school can be
tailored for its incoming student body.

b) Apparently, someone at DECS thought the school was doing well and so making
clones of it wasn't such a bad idea. Plus, somehow someone was able to argue for
the funding for more PSHS schools.

One comment: I know some people who went to PSHS Diliman for the freshman year
and transferred to Davao in their sophomore year. When I saw them again as
seniors, they said they liked Davao better because everybody there spoke bisaya.
Tinuod pud. Mas maayo gyud kung mag-binisaya sa klase kung gikan ka sa Visayas o
Mindanao. Samok kanang mag-tinagaog pa :)

One more thing. Alam kung binanggit na ng ilan pero hindi ako makapaniwala na
wala sa top 50 ang UPIS (University of the Philippines Integrated School) sa
Diliman. Hmmm...baka may mali :)

Raoul Bernal

Oct 14, 1993, 2:38:58 PM10/14/93
sua...@carrera.shell.com (Mary Rose L. Suarez) writes:

>I wasn't even aware that there is a PSHS in Davao. Anyway, I don't know about
>decentralization as the reason for its existence because PSHS training is
>available to all areas of the country. The entrance exams are conducted
>nationally, and passing test scores vary according to region. Tuition and books

>are free, and monthly stipends are given based on the student's family income.
>If I remember correctly, they have about 5 income level brackets. Besides, one
>of the greatest things about Pisay for me was the diversity of the student body.
>- Mary Rose

Hmmm, I always thought that there was only one national passing average for all PSHS
applicants nationwide. 'Regionalizing' the passing scores does make it seem
equitable to all the geographical areas in the Philippines, especially the
'underrepresented' ones. However, the process is disadvantageous to applicants
from areas where competition is tighter (like Manila, QC, Cebu). If passing
scores are set region-to-region, then I tend to think there's definite bias intro-
duced here in the selection process. Comments, anyone?

Richard S Sucgang

Oct 14, 1993, 11:54:07 PM10/14/93
In article <bernal.750539901@spssig>, Raoul Bernal <ber...@spss.com> wrote:
>It's just like UP. There's UP Los Banos, UP Visayas, UP Cebu, UP Davao.
>I think I read this from the scf thread before about PSHS. Maybe Richard
>Sucgang knows - or other PSHS alumni out there?

Raoul, this really jolted my attention :).
Apparently, my reputation as a PSHS alumnus precedes me :).

Yes, last I heard there was a thrust to decentralize Pisay, farming out
several campuses around the Philippines, in theory providing more
people with the training, and cutting down on travel expense and
homesickness trauma. Glad to see that the Davao branch is making a name
for itself.

-rich
richard sucgang rs...@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
"friends call me ace"-CAJR

James D Forsyth

Oct 15, 1993, 5:44:10 PM10/15/93
In article <29fq78$k...@news.acns.nwu.edu> fl...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Kenneth Ilio) writes:

>Here's a list of the top 50 high school recently released by the Department
>of Education. See if your alma mater is on the list ...

Hey, hey, hey! Something is wrong with this picture! Where's ISM?

I guess, for the most part, IS is considered to be a little "America Island"
in the middle of (the larger "America Island") Makati.

I dunno, I went to ISM for 7 years and UPLB for 2, and let's just say that the
"kayabangan" level at IS is waaaay too fucking high. (Pardon my language, I
hated most of the bastards I went to school with at IS).

Just my 2 cents worth

Ingat,

Jim
The Cherokee/Pakistani who speaks Tagalog

Rhett Valino Pascual

Oct 17, 1993, 2:49:42 AM10/17/93
Any ideas where Lourdes School Quezon City is ranked? I used to go there
but never did graduate. Had to go to America.

Rhett "I was supposed to go to Phil Sci High School" Pascual

Go Bears!!!

Kris Ong

Oct 17, 1993, 5:44:07 PM10/17/93

: *************************************************************************
: * Columbia hasn't got an opinion worth expressing. | mc...@columbia.edu *
: * "Carpe Cibum" | Marco Pineda *
: *************************************************************************

Finally found a fellow Xaverian. =)
Tho I didn't graduate.

Kris.
--
kri...@quack.kfu.com An eye for an eye will make the
whole world blind.

Richard S Sucgang

Oct 17, 1993, 6:25:28 PM10/17/93
In article <29hehu$r...@apakabar.cc.columbia.edu>,

Marco Claro Pineda <mc...@namaste.cc.columbia.edu> wrote:

>>1. Phil Sci High School Quezon City
>
>Have these guys ever been beat? Phil Sci's reputation is well
>deserved IMHO, everyone I've met from there has been sharp as a tack.

Speaking of kayabangan, there is this rather arrogant attitude among
seniors in PSci just after the NCEE results come in: The question
isn't "What score did you get?", it is "Plus ka ba?", meaning, did
you fall in the 99+ percentile or were you judged to be within
the vanilla 99 percentile. In restrospect, this is downright boastful and
arrogant (and a little amusing) - I've heard of horror stories of kids being
ridiculed by their families and peers because they fell in the 97 percentile.

Ech! I knew that the NCEEs weren't reliable when I was told that my best
subject was Pilipino :).

>>3. Xavier School Quezon City

Now this is a sharp school, some of the best math education in the country.
Oh, not to mention my cousins who go there :).

I have to agree with the assessment that girls seem to be getting the
short end of the stick in high school education in the RP (sideline: I
agree that the term PI is somewhat insulting). Is this a cultural
phenomenon, where we tell our daughters and younger sisters that they have
no respectable future outside of Home Ec or Education (or a nunnery)?
Well, I don't agree with segregated schools, anyway, but it *is*
surprising that the scoring came out this way. Does anyone know if UP
Manila's College of Medicine still practices different admission criteria
for male and female applicants?

annette

Oct 17, 1993, 11:49:14 PM10/17/93
In article <29sgoo$1...@apakabar.cc.columbia.edu> rs...@konichiwa.cc.columbia.edu (Richard S Sucgang) writes:

>I have to agree with the assessment that girls seem to be getting the
>short end of the stick in high school education in the RP (sideline: I
>agree that the term PI is somewhat insulting). Is this a cultural
>phenomenon, where we tell our daughters and younger sisters that they have

>no respectable future outside of Home Ec or Education (or a nunnery)?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Well, I don't agree with segregated schools, anyway, but it *is*
>surprising that the scoring came out this way. Does anyone know if UP
>Manila's College of Medicine still practices different admission criteria
>for male and female applicants?

Other than the ranking that was posted, what do you base this assessment
on? One thing that the posted list did not have were the average scores,
who knows if the differences are even statistically significant.

I went to an all-girls school, and I really find your comment (the part
I highlighted) quite laughable! I'm not flaming you, but where did you
get this idea? In fact, offhand I would say that the single most common
career choice of my high-school classmates would be medicine. I really
do feel that our educational system in the Phil. is much less gender
biased than it is in the US, and (I've said this before) our culture
is as well.

annette

Szu-Yuan Tu Huang

Oct 18, 1993, 10:40:01 AM10/18/93
> Speaking of kayabangan, there is this rather arrogant attitude among
> seniors in PSci just after the NCEE results come in: The question
> isn't "What score did you get?", it is "Plus ka ba?", meaning, did
> you fall in the 99+ percentile or were you judged to be within
> the vanilla 99 percentile. In restrospect, this is downright boastful and
> arrogant (and a little amusing) - I've heard of horror stories of kids being
> ridiculed by their families and peers because they fell in the 97 percentile.

This happens even in Catholic schools, believe me.

> Ech! I knew that the NCEEs weren't reliable when I was told that my best
> subject was Pilipino :).

I lost my faith when the only one with 99+++ in my batch was a girl with an average in the line of 8. None of the honor graduates got more than ++. There has to be something wrong.

To top it all, they even made mistakes in the major fields that I selected, you know, the part before the actual test where they asked you to mark what courses and kinds of schools you like to go to.

Richard S Sucgang

Oct 18, 1993, 12:44:54 PM10/18/93
In article <Oct18.034...@yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU>,
annette <lag...@CS.ColoState.EDU> wrote:

>>I have to agree with the assessment that girls seem to be getting the
>>short end of the stick in high school education in the RP (sideline: I
>>agree that the term PI is somewhat insulting). Is this a cultural
>>phenomenon, where we tell our daughters and younger sisters that they have
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>no respectable future outside of Home Ec or Education (or a nunnery)?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Well, I don't agree with segregated schools, anyway, but it *is*
>>surprising that the scoring came out this way. Does anyone know if UP
>>Manila's College of Medicine still practices different admission criteria
>>for male and female applicants?
>

> I went to an all-girls school, and I really find your comment (the part
> I highlighted) quite laughable! I'm not flaming you, but where did you
> get this idea? In fact, offhand I would say that the single most common
> career choice of my high-school classmates would be medicine. I really
> do feel that our educational system in the Phil. is much less gender
> biased than it is in the US, and (I've said this before) our culture
> is as well.

Sorry if I was misunderstood, the post was posed as a question. It really
is mere speculation. I am glad that at least someone thinks that the
Philippine schooling system is less gender biased than the US - I am sure
that it is less biased than the Japanese, but it doesn't refute the
results of the NCEE rankings - that all girls schools seem to score lower,
and I do not see a reason behind that at all.

Just on a side note, do you think gender segregated schools are a benefit
or a disadvantage?

jannas...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2015, 10:11:24 PM7/13/15
Noong Miyerkules, Oktubre 13, 1993 ng 11:17:20 AM UTC+8, si Kenneth Ilio ay sumulat:
> Here's a list of the top 50 high school recently released by the Department
> of Education. See if your alma mater is on the list ...
>
> The ranking is based on student's performance over the last 5 years in the
> National Collegiate Entrance Examination. While the reliability of the NCEE
> should not be used as the sole indicator of a school's academic standards,
> it does offer one criterion for evaluating the schools.
>
> Of the leading 50 high schools, only eight are public schools, most of which
> are affiliated with the University of the Philippines system (interestingly
> enough, the main UP High School in Diliman where I graduated from is not on
> the list boo-hoo-hoo) or science high schools. All the others are private
> schools, mostly parochial Roman Catholic schools including seminaries.
> Chinese Filipino schools also figure prominently.
>
> (MOre about the analysis later since the computer room is going to close):
>
> 1. Phil Sci High School Quezon City

There are now 13 campuses (i think). Not only one but 13.

ghoffi...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2016, 4:19:54 AM4/30/16
what for? why next time man for what reason?

janley...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2017, 12:28:36 PM3/21/17
Anong year po ito pinublish?

monicamon...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2018, 10:11:56 PM4/23/18
Dela Salle Zobel is from Muntinlupa City 😊