The Price of Marrying for Money

john

Jun 11, 2007, 5:22:36 PM6/11/07
Turkish businessman Yilmaz Bektas wants ABS-CBN Broadcasting
Corporation to cancel its contract with his estranged wife, actress
and beauty queen Ruffa Gutierrez.

Yilmaz said that Ruffa is using the contract as an excuse to ignore
his invitation to discuss their divorce and custody of their two
children. He said he is confident that the contract can be cancelled.

Ruffa signed a one-year contract with the Kapamilya network last
Thursday. She will continue to co-host the entertainment talk show
"The Buzz" and will soon star in a teleserye.

A top executive of the network said that Ruffa is legally bound to
respect and follow the contract. The same official said the network
will not interfere and will stay out of any possible meeting between
Ruffa and Yilmaz.

Barely a week after calling her wife "Brutus" and a traitor, Yilmaz
appears to have shown interest in seeing Ruffa and the kids.

He added that he is planning to visit his family quietly in Manila one
day after Ruffa continued to avoid him.

Yilmaz also warned that he will sue commercial entities and newspaper
publications who publish pictures of his two daughters or use them as
endorsers in TV commercials.

Yilmaz's threat came a day after Ruffa told "The Buzz" that she was
beaten and tortured by her husband, which prompted her to flee to the
Philippines and ask for a divorce.

Ruffa revealed that Yilmaz had been physically abusing and torturing
her for years, even before they were married.

"Si Yilmaz pag nagagalit nawawala sa sarili. He put me in the bathtub,
pinuno niya bathtub then in-electrocute niya ako (Whenever Yilmaz
becomes enraged, he loses control of himself. He put me in the
bathtub, filled it with water and then electrocuted me)," said Ruffa.

She said that even prior to their marriage, Yilmaz had already
displayed violent tendencies.

"Even before we got married, sinasaktan na niya ako. Dati sampal lang,
tulak lang. Last February was the worst (Even before we got married he
would hurt me. Before he would slap me or shove me)," she said.

Ruffa said the violence worsened to the point where Yilmaz would punch
and kick her and even repeatedly poke her body with a knife.

She said that she was able to fight back on some occasions but
admitted that she was helpless whenever he took his gun and pressed
the barrel against her head. She said Yilmaz beat her twice when she
caught him talking to a woman on the Internet.

Tortured

She said that on the day she escaped Istanbul, she was only wearing
her pajamas that was bloody from her injuries. She said her worst
fight with Yilmaz lasted 15 hours, with her ending up locked inside a
closet.

Ruffa said the fight was triggered after she was three days late in
returning to Istanbul from a shoot in the Philippines. Technical
problems during the shoot caused the delay, she said.

According to Ruffa, their last fight started at nine in the evening
and ended twelve noon the next day. She said Yilmaz shoved her into a
closet and tied it shut with his belt.

She said she heard her daughters looking for her and heard Yilmaz
reply: "She's sleeping."

Ruffa said she struggled to get out of the closet and finally
succeeded around noon.

"Hindi ko na alam paano ako nakalabas. Duguan ako. Nakaalis ako noong
nakatulog na siya (I don't remember how I managed to get out. I had
blood on me. I was able to leave because he fell asleep)."

Ruffa said that in her haste, she left behind her passport and other
papers but was able to bring along her mobile phone and her husband's
gun. She had in tow her two daughters and the nanny.

She then called her mother, feisty talent manager and former actress
Annabelle Rama, for help. Ruffa said that she knew better than to ask
for help from the Turkish authorities.

"Tumakbo na ako (I ran). I was scared to go to the police. Their
(Yilmaz's) family is very powerful. Baka ma-rape ako sa kulungan.
Hindi ko bansa yon (I was afraid I'd get raped in prison. I wasn't in
my own country)."

She told "Startalk" that she went back to the Philippines with a
blackeye and marks all over her body as a result of the beating she
got from her husband.

Death threat
Ruffa said that she previously kept her parents and brothers ignorant
of the extent and seriousness of the abuse she suffered in the hands
of her husband to keep them from worrying about her.

She told "The Buzz" that she had thought about going back to Yilmaz in
Turkey three months ago. It was only the intervention of her parents
and brothers that stopped her.

She said she is thankful they convinced her to stay put.

Now back with her family in the Philippines, Ruffa said they have
received threatening calls and messages from her husband.

"Bastos siya, tinetext niya mommy ko, daddy ko, with grave threats,
libelous, slanderous, 55 times tumatawag. Nagkaka-wrinkles na ako,
pumuputi na buhok ko. Bastos siya he doesn't respect the mother of his
kids (He's disrespectful. He sends text messages to my mom, my dad,
with grave threats, libelous, slanderous. He calls 55 times. I'm
already getting wrinkles, some of my hair is turning white. He no
longer respects the mother of his kids)."

According to Ruffa, some of Yilmaz threats hinted at her possible
death.

"Sabi niya hindi ko na makikita 33rd birthday ko, na pwede siyang
magbayad dito sa Pilipinas para patayin ako ( [Yilmaz] said I will no
longer live long enough to celebrate my 33rd birthday, that he could
pay someone here in the Philippines to kill me).

"So kung may mangyari man sa akin, kung mamatay man ako, iisa lang ang
may gawa niyan-si Yilmaz lang (So if anything happens to me, if I die,
the only one behind it would be Yilmaz)."

Just JT

Jun 12, 2007, 4:08:01 AM6/12/07
"john" <johnl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ruffa revealed that Yilmaz had been physically abusing and torturing
> her for years, even before they were married.

~~~~~~~~~~~
We can stop right here. Even though Ruffa isn't the smartest card on the
deck, she doesn't deserve to be physically abused.

What's sad is not all women report spouse abuse to the authorities.

--
Buttered.wife.syndrome?

Happy Independence day pinoy

Jun 12, 2007, 9:13:53 AM6/12/07
On Jun 12, 1:08?am, "Just JT" <Johnnyt...@Hotmale.com> wrote:

may attitude din yan. she is not entirely clean.mayabang kasi sila
ng nanay nila. what did she expect marrying someone from istanbul
whith alleged drug connectons? mayaman nga may skeletons naman.
maraming pinay ang gumagawa niyan kapit sa patalim. in pak one of
my inlaws married a rich old guy from europe . ayon swerte naman at
mabait. kaya lang dedbol na. kaya ayon buhay miss uli ang dona.wala
silang anak. hilig naman noon pero daming scholar sa pinas na
kamaganak. pati misis ko siya ang nagpatapos ng dentista.

Dirty Sick Pig

Jun 12, 2007, 11:02:27 AM6/12/07
~~~~~~~~~~~
From her story and her "keep coming back for more" tendency, it seems
to me that she likes being abused, maybe even gets off on abuse.
There's a proper term for that, somewhere, and it's not S/M.
~~~~~~~~~~~
> Buttered.wife.syndrome?
~~~~~~~~~~~
With garlic and popcorn is how it's done properly.
~~~~~~~~~~~

tumbagang isda

Jun 13, 2007, 2:36:47 AM6/13/07
Just JT wrote:

Even smart women who gets battered will seldom report incidents like
violence at home, the thinking is that "Must have been my fault", the
idiots will say "It is definitely my fault".

Violence comes with fault finding at first so it is almost like the
"Stockholm Syndrome" where the captured individual capitulates and gives
all their rights to protest away, their liberty in other words.

Check it out.

Any of my daughters can beat the crap of their husbands if they do that,
Kali and arnis experts they are. They can beat me up too.

Connie reyes kumar

Jun 13, 2007, 9:42:37 AM6/13/07
On Jun 12, 11:36?pm, tumbagang isda <t...@hindiginto.ito> wrote:
> Just JT wrote:
> Kali and arnis experts they are. They can beat me up too.- Hide quoted text -

btw ruffa is also the one who was linked to the sultan of brunei
once.i am teaching my daughter to box as well. wifey is giving her
lots of frost and attitude. but right now she is a sweetheart

Just JT

Jun 14, 2007, 2:52:36 AM6/14/07

"tumbagang isda" <ta...@hindiginto.ito> wrote:

> Even smart women who gets battered will seldom report incidents like
> violence at home, the thinking is that "Must have been my fault", the
> idiots will say "It is definitely my fault".

~~~~~~~~~
One Flip wife residing in the US had a nasty argument with Flip husband. She
was pushed or thrown I don't really know what happened. As a result she
suffered a fractured collarbone which still aches to this day.

Did she report the abuse to the cops? Nope, she feared that if she did they
would all be deported. At the time of the abuse, her husband carried a
working visa only and she was a working visa dependent.

Pretty sad really.

--
Women.should.be.financially.independent.so.they.don't.have.to.take.abuse.from.anyone.

tumbagang isda

Jun 18, 2007, 5:12:43 AM6/18/07
She didn't know that battered women gets an automatic help to get green
cards? Its faster than working visa..

If she gets help she will stay.

Hunter

Jun 18, 2007, 6:32:17 AM6/18/07

"tumbagang isda" <ta...@hindiginto.ito> wrote in message

| She didn't know that battered women gets an automatic help to get green
| cards? Its faster than working visa..
|
| If she gets help she will stay.

You don't get an green card for just being battered if there was no basis in
law to get it in the first place. The wife and husband are here under a
working visa, which means they are here in a NONIMMIGRANT status.
If the wife came here as an immigrant, such as a spouse of a US citizen or
an LPR (legal permanent resident), then she has a basis to apply for an
immigrant status even if the husband failed to apply for AOS (adjustment of
status) on her behalf and she eventually divorced him due to being battered.
In such a case the wife can avail of an AOS under the battered spouse
provision of the law even without the husband's blessing.
Nonimmigrants with working visas (H1B, H2B, L1/L2, E1/E2, etc) in the US
don't have that privilege. These people can only AOS if the sponsoring
employers (if they wish to) file for a GC on their behalf.

Hunter

Jun 18, 2007, 8:37:44 AM6/18/07

"Hunter" <Hun...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Corrections:
"If the wife came here as an immigrant..." should be: If the wife is an
immediate relative of a US citizen or an LPR...

E1/E2 nonimmigrant status ( Treaty Investors and Traders) does not have a
direct path to apply for a GC unless he/she changes status to another
nonimmigrant status that is allowed to be sponsored by an employer for GC
(such as an H1B, L1/L2, etc..)

Sichuchay

Jun 18, 2007, 9:13:25 AM6/18/07
On Jun 18, 3:32?am, "Hunter" <Hun...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "tumbagang isda" <t...@hindiginto.ito> wrote in message

if people who have no legal papers can become green card holders
then it is possibple for working visa people to get green cards
even if their employers dont sponsor them . probably depends on
their garfinkel.

tumbagang isda

Jun 19, 2007, 3:50:06 AM6/19/07
Somehow, battered women do get extra help. If she knows where to go get
help she can convert her status that she can get a visa legally. It had
been done. In fact sometimes even without any real basis.

Hunter

Jun 19, 2007, 4:20:35 AM6/19/07

| Somehow, battered women do get extra help. If she knows where to go get
| help she can convert her status that she can get a visa legally. It had
| been done. In fact sometimes even without any real basis.

Yes it's possible for them to get extra help for social welfare type
protections, but not to get a green card if they are here as nonimmigrants.
If battered nonimmigrants could get a green card that easily, how would you
prevent somebody on a working visa from claiming that her US citz boyfriend
or somebody battered her just to be able to file to become a resident
without a sponsor and the lengthy application process?

Nonimmigrants, by law, except those with extraordinary skills and talents,
need sponsors (employers, US citz immediate relatives or LPR spouse) to
petition for them to become LPRs.
The act of battery or abuse does not create new rights for nonimmigrants to
stay in the country when they don't have the rights to stay in the country
permanently (being nonimmigrants) in the first place.

The only times those who illegally entered the country were able to get
green cards were during those times when they were covered by previous
amnesties under Sec 245 of the INA. At the moment, there is NO new amnesty
yet.

I deal with these stuff professionally.

eng eng

Jun 19, 2007, 9:25:52 AM6/19/07
On Jun 19, 1:20?am, "Hunter" <Hun...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "tumbagang isda" <t...@hindiginto.ito> wrote in message

you forgot marrying legal people in real or fake marriages

Dirty Sick Pig

Jun 19, 2007, 10:29:29 AM6/19/07
eng eng wrote:
> you forgot marrying legal people in real or fake marriages

Interesting. Describe a "fake marriage" for the uninformed, por favor.

tumbagang isda

Jun 19, 2007, 12:01:36 PM6/19/07
Sorry but there had been cases already in the books of battered women
getting green cards even though here in the US either illegally or
temporary visa, like part of the working visa from husband.

So, the argument is moot.

The green card being sponsored by women's groups in order to proceed and
protect the women. The argument being if she returned to the old
country, she could die.

There were also cases where the men is a citizen, that is not what an
example here.

Just JT

Jun 19, 2007, 7:05:48 PM6/19/07
"tumbagang isda" <ta...@hindiginto.ito> wrote:
> Sorry but there had been cases already in the books of battered women
> getting green cards even though here in the US either illegally or
> temporary visa, like part of the working visa from husband.
>
> So, the argument is moot.
>
> The green card being sponsored by women's groups in order to proceed and
> protect the women. The argument being if she returned to the old country,
> she could die.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Which women's group is this which champions battered women? I'll pass this
on to my Pinay buddy in case she gets beat up again.

--
The.only.thing.I.beat.up.is.egg.to.make.scrambies.

ineng

Jun 19, 2007, 8:37:04 PM6/19/07

20 to 25 k to marry citizens . kwentong cuchero sa street. i am
not confirming or denying any knowledge of this. investigate on your
own to see the real story.

DirtySickPig@PigsLodge#1

Jun 19, 2007, 9:26:52 PM6/19/07

So, the marriage itself is not fake; it's the personal relationship
that's fake. The marriage therefore is good until disallowed or
dissolved, if ever.

I want to marry a very pretty Pinay with the dough. When time comes for
her to get out of the marriage (she thinks), I'll just tell her, "let's
sleep over this, honey. Tomorrow we'll check on the dividends." BWAHAWR!

ineng

Jun 19, 2007, 9:56:11 PM6/19/07
On Jun 19, 6:26?pm, "DirtySickPig@PigsLodge#1"

one can make a business of it. marry get 25 k then after 2 years
divorce. in 10 years you got 100 k tax free. dang. im sure ins
would get mad. but how do you prove it? sorry the marriage
didnt work off i go to the pinas to look for wife number 3.

Just JT

Jun 19, 2007, 11:16:23 PM6/19/07
~~~~~~~~~~~
If a Pinay had US$25k, why'd she be desperate enough to organize a sham
marriage? That money can get her the services of an immigrant consultant who
can organize her a fair dinkum US work permit.

--
It.doesn't.add.up.to.spend.that.much.

TuTubi

Jun 19, 2007, 11:53:18 PM6/19/07
On Jun 19, 8:16?pm, "Just JT" <Johnnyt...@Hotmale.com> wrote:

if work permit is available and easy many pinays would be here
already.:?
arrange stuff happens alright. plenty of desperate pinays who dont
have the job skills to satisfy the ins who are willing to cough
the dough .

tumbagang isda

Jun 20, 2007, 2:04:50 AM6/20/07
I am surprised that Ozzieland don't have this by now.
Just do a google search on it, some are real FemiNazis.. nasty bitches.

TuTubi

Jun 20, 2007, 2:13:57 AM6/20/07
On Jun 19, 11:04?pm, tumbagang isda <t...@hindiginto.ito> wrote:
> I am surprised that Ozzieland don't have this by now.
> Just do a google search on it, some are real FemiNazis.. nasty bitches.
>

> Just JT wrote:
> > "tumbagang isda" <t...@hindiginto.ito> wrote:
>
> >> Sorry but there had been cases already in the books of battered women
> >> getting green cards even though here in the US either illegally or
> >> temporary visa, like part of the working visa from husband.
>
> >> So, the argument is moot.
>
> >> The green card being sponsored by women's groups in order to proceed
> >> and protect the women. The argument being if she returned to the old
> >> country, she could die.
>
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Which women's group is this which champions battered women? I'll pass
> > this on to my Pinay buddy in case she gets beat up again.
>
> > --
> > The.only.thing.I.beat.up.is.egg.to.make.scrambies.- Hide quoted text -

yea surprised that pigsa and jt dont know.

TuTubi

Jun 20, 2007, 2:14:27 AM6/20/07
On Jun 19, 11:04?pm, tumbagang isda <t...@hindiginto.ito> wrote:
> I am surprised that Ozzieland don't have this by now.
> Just do a google search on it, some are real FemiNazis.. nasty bitches.
>

> Just JT wrote:
> > "tumbagang isda" <t...@hindiginto.ito> wrote:
>
> >> Sorry but there had been cases already in the books of battered women
> >> getting green cards even though here in the US either illegally or
> >> temporary visa, like part of the working visa from husband.
>
> >> So, the argument is moot.
>
> >> The green card being sponsored by women's groups in order to proceed
> >> and protect the women. The argument being if she returned to the old
> >> country, she could die.
>
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Which women's group is this which champions battered women? I'll pass
> > this on to my Pinay buddy in case she gets beat up again.
>
> > --
> > The.only.thing.I.beat.up.is.egg.to.make.scrambies.- Hide quoted text -

gabriela is one

Just JT

Jun 20, 2007, 4:08:11 AM6/20/07

"TuTubi" <amp...@aol.com> wrote:

>> > ~~~~~~~~~~~
>> > Which women's group is this which champions battered women? I'll pass
>> > this on to my Pinay buddy in case she gets beat up again.
>>
>> > --
>> > The.only.thing.I.beat.up.is.egg.to.make.scrambies.- Hide quoted text -

> gabriela is one
~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I wanted to know was which women's
group which champions batter women will HELP convert a US dependent of a
working migrant visa to a permanent visa?

--
So.my.female.buddy.can.decide.on.what.she.wants.to.do.

Dirty Sick Pig

Jun 20, 2007, 12:30:19 PM6/20/07
No, I didn't. Da Sow collects old cell phones for distribution to
battered women so they can make emergency phone calls. All cell phone
companies provide free accounts for these phones regardless of brand.
BTW, did you know about this? It's so simple to participate, but you
don't get any tax credits for your donations (who cares?). Da Sow, all
by herself, managed to accumulate over 300 cell phones and chargers for
the 2006 project. It's ongoing and coordinated by the BW shelters.

Hunter

Jun 20, 2007, 4:18:17 PM6/20/07

"Just JT" <Johnn...@Hotmale.com> wrote in message

I'd like to know too.
For all the years I've been with this immigration business I haven't
encountered a case yet where it is possible for a nonimmigrant without a US
citizen or LPR immediate relative sponsor to convert to a permanent resident
status SOLELY on the reason of being a battered spouse.

DirtySickPig@PigsLodge#1

Jun 20, 2007, 6:30:04 PM6/20/07
Hunter wrote:
> "Just JT" <Johnn...@Hotmale.com> wrote in message

> | > gabriela is one
> | ~~~~~~~~~~
> | Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I wanted to know was which women's
> | group which champions batter women will HELP convert a US dependent of a
> | working migrant visa to a permanent visa?
> | --
> | So.my.female.buddy.can.decide.on.what.she.wants.to.do.
> |

> I'd like to know too.
> For all the years I've been with this immigration business I haven't
> encountered a case yet where it is possible for a nonimmigrant without a US
> citizen or LPR immediate relative sponsor to convert to a permanent resident
> status SOLELY on the reason of being a battered spouse.

Why are you surprised? All one has to do is arrive in America on the
Gulf side paddling a dugout canoe and a green card is assured.

By the way, when did immigration become a business? How does one become
an immigration businessman?

Hunter

Jun 20, 2007, 6:59:29 PM6/20/07

"DirtySickPig@PigsLodge#1" <drtys...@pigslodge1.org> wrote in message

In a way, you may have a point. Anything outside the law can't be logically
reasoned using the law.

| By the way, when did immigration become a business? How does one become
| an immigration businessman?

It's a business in an immigration law field of concern. How about that?
Don't be silly, please!

I know you're just trying to be contentious. :)

Tumbagang Isda

Jun 23, 2007, 6:20:57 PM6/23/07
Dirty Sick Pig wrote:

this is good mr. pig, it is so easy to accumulate cell phones, with a
lot of free-phones with a contract..

Tumbagang Isda

Jun 23, 2007, 6:26:54 PM6/23/07
Hunter wrote:

Then you should have heard of a Pinay millionaire who had undocumented
domestic helper that she abused for so many years. someone decided to
find help for her to stop the abuse (she cannot even go outside for
example) , now she has a green card and her children with her and a good
job.

Her former employer in jail, with hefty fines against her for backpay,
for social security contributions, and taxes..

It is an interesting story of three Filipinas, one a social worker, a
Fil-Am, the millionaire and the TNT who was really being hid.

Hunter

Jun 24, 2007, 2:49:26 AM6/24/07

"Tumbagang Isda" <ta...@hindiginto.ito> wrote in message

To be honest, I'm not aware of that particular story you mentioned . Could
you be more specific about the BIA case, or a legal website link perhaps? I
want to know the specific basis in immigration law that made it possible, if
the GC was really granted solely on the reason of abuse. Was she able to
avail of the previous amnesty? I'm suspecting there are other significant
factors that's pre-existent and it's not just as simple as being given
exemption because she was abused.

Tumbagang Isda

Jun 24, 2007, 8:07:01 PM6/24/07
Hunter wrote:

And I thought you are in this business, oh, maybe on one end only. Sorry
I could've made a mistake.

You see there are laws that has little to do with immigration laws, but
is covered by other laws, that is what makes the difference.

This situation or scenario is really not unique, a Muslim Princess in
Florida was accused of the same thing (almost the same exact thing) but
the victim was Indian..

You see, that is not involved with immigration, but other laws like I
said. This is where Human Development, Services and Welfare really works.

Violence in or out of the home involves crime, not immigration although
it might happen in that arena as well. Think about that one.

It does not work all the time.