Shipping my used car to PI?

merlito

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

Anybody has the experience of shipping cars to PI? Used or new?
I'm planning to move to PI for good. I need some information about
the tax regulation for moving my cars to PI.
.
cre...@fda.net

Johnny Thor

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

merlito <cre...@fda.net> wrote in article <34A862AF...@fda.net>...

> Anybody has the experience of shipping cars to PI? Used or new?
> I'm planning to move to PI for good. I need some information about
> the tax regulation for moving my cars to PI.

Ship your car to PI? You'll be sorry. Take my advice, sell it back where
you are. It ain't worth shipping.

Johnny

Benjamin L. Guadiz

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

Bgdomingo wrote:

> >Anybody has the experience of shipping cars to PI? Used or new?
> >I'm planning to move to PI for good. I need some information about
> >the tax regulation for moving my cars to PI.
>
> Don't ship you car...Philippines Customs are greedy, scums and most of the
> officials in NAIA are alligators. Most likely you have to pay taxes, plus lagay
> and a possibility not to get your car.

> Bong D
>
> "The Deep South"

=========
MY TURN:

KUNG sakali man a returning expatriate becomes "lucky" to get
his imported car outta da CUSS-toms (mumurahin ka nila ip der is
NO pang-kape kundi tatambakan yung mga papers mo!!!) pagpalagay
na lang natin na MOST LIKELY yung pasadyang Michelin tires ay
meron ng kapalit ... yung re-capped na mumurahing kalbong guma !!!

Wanna bet???!!! :-)

benjamin
bl...@ix.netcom.com
bl...@earthlink.net
rcd...@i-manila.com.ph
Colton, CA 92324
USA

Bgdomingo

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

William Cook

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Forget it. You will have to pay more tax then what the car is worth. It
is cheaper to buy a new car from Japan then try to import one from the
USA. To start off with, you will have to deposit a fee equal to the
amount the car is worth in the USA.

Romy M Abacan

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

A few years ago we invited the BIR representative from the Philippine
Consulate in San Francisco to conduct a seminar for Filipino-Americans
going back to the Philippines after retirement from the military. Here are
some of the information we gathered (some of the information may have
already been revised)
1. Before shipping your car to the Philippines you have to file an
application permit with the RP BIR in Washington DC. The filing fee is
$50.00
2. The BIR then will assess your vehicle and let you know how much import
taxes you have to pay prior to your shipping the car.
3. The import taxes were as follows:
a. New - 100% duty on the value of your car (If value is $20K then
duty is $20k plus
other duties such as VAT, gas guzzler tax, etc.
b. less than 2 yrs old - 90% of car valuation ($20K X 90%)
c. less than 3 yrs old - 80%
d. less than 4 yrs old - 70%
e. less than 5 yrs old - 60%
and goes on to 10 yrs old or 10% of value when brand new.

The regulations may have changed because of the anti-junk cars provisions
included in the import law. Some have said that they have limited the
importation to up to 5 years old only.

So in essence, for a 5 yr old, 1993 Honda which you bought for $20K will
cost you, approximately $12,000 in import taxes. With this you have to add
a special Value added Tax, and gas guzzler tax because the engine is bigger
than 1.6 ltr. No special tax on diesel engines are assessed however on
passenger cars. It is not impossible for you to pay close to $14,000 in
import duties to ship this car. You may call this highway robbery, and it
sure is. But you have to remember that for every car anyone imports to the
Philippines, one local car is not sold. In other words, the duties are
stiff for the protection of the local car industry.

I heard from rumor central that the import taxes will be lowered down to
25% in 1998 because the local car industry (those assembled locally) can
now compete on an equal basis with any imports. Also the stiff duties are
scheduled to be severely reduced or eliminated in 2005 because of the GAT
agreement.

My friends who shipped cars to the Philippines have paid $8,500 on a 1989
Volvo 240 three years ago, and $9,600 for a 1990 Honda Accord.

If you truly love your car and it's free from defects, it sure is worth to
ship it to the Philippines. On the other hand, $12,000 dollars (P468,000)
will buy you a nice used car in the Philippines without the headaches of
importation. And yes, it has A/C, and A/T, but may have no power locks,
etc.

Romy Abacan

George Henry C. Daswani

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

Romy M Abacan (rab...@Prodigy.net) wrote:
: a. New - 100% duty on the value of your car (If value is $20K then

: duty is $20k plus
: other duties such as VAT, gas guzzler tax, etc.
: b. less than 2 yrs old - 90% of car valuation ($20K X 90%)
: c. less than 3 yrs old - 80%
: d. less than 4 yrs old - 70%
: e. less than 5 yrs old - 60%
: and goes on to 10 yrs old or 10% of value when brand new.

Damn, that is quite scary.. I guess to ship a Dodge Viper
for around 85,000$ brand new.

Gas Guzzler tax - (Very big engine)..

Will cost around 125,000$.

Has anybody actually shipped a Porche 911, or a Dodge Viper to the phillipines,
if so, how much did it cost?

George

Jenistaf

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

Porsche 911?

Dodge Viper??

Do you expect to get either one out of 2nd gear?

Between the rough roads and worse traffic, the car will be a wreck within a
year.

Gen Artemio Ricarte

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

> George Henry C. Daswani <gdas...@biddersparadise.com> wrote in article
> <68kmje$q25$1...@holocron.odc.net>...

> > Has anybody actually shipped a Porche 911, or a Dodge Viper to the
> phillipines,
> > if so, how much did it cost?

I've seen a few Porche 911 in the Philippines, but I have not seen a Dodge
Viper. Many Mercedez Benz Sports Cars are also on the road. I bet you that
they've paid upwards of over P1Million each for taxes alone if they were
imported brand new. Most belong to wealthy Filipino and Chinese businessmen.
Unlike the old days, politicians nowadays don't like themselves get caught
driving any of these luxury cars, even if they own one or can afford one. .
Times have really changed.

Johnny Thor

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

George Henry C. Daswani <gdas...@biddersparadise.com> wrote in article
<68kmje$q25$1...@holocron.odc.net>...

> Has anybody actually shipped a Porche 911, or a Dodge Viper to the
phillipines,
> if so, how much did it cost?

I did. I shipped one to my brother the other year and paid no tax. 'Course
it was a MatchBox model. A real car? Get real!

Johnny

Tonyo

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

HOoy Dyani,

Ano na naman yang pinagsasabi mo. Ikaw talaga makaposte ka lang oks na
sa yo. Hindi mo ba alam na libo-libong mga Pilipino dine sa Pilipinas
ay naka-hook-up na sa Internet. Kaya Dyani-tango, mag-isip isip ka na
kung ibebenta mo ang hindi mo gaanong gamit na utak. Sabi ko nga noon
ang second hand cars dito mahal kung hindi masyadong gamit. Katulad ng
utak mo, mahal yan!!! dahil hindi masyadong gamit. Ni hindi ata yan
humataw ng 5 kilamiters per awar. Tol, payo lang, ilagay mo ang sarili
mo sa straight jacket ng hindi ka na makapindot ng computer. Kawawa
naman ang nakakabasa sa poste mo. O di kaya paturo ka sa yong
sweetheart na si.... DYARAN.... si tita Rety para mahabahaba ang yong
susalitin.

Pero tol, isipin mo rin bagong taon na ngayon. Kung buong taon ganito
ang ipoposte mo... tsk.. tsk.. tsk.. baka me sayad ka na.
Heheehehehehehehehehe.

Tonyong Gago

Tonyo

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Johnny Thor wrote:

> George Henry C. Daswani <gdas...@biddersparadise.com> wrote in article
> <68kmje$q25$1...@holocron.odc.net>...
> >
> > Has anybody actually shipped a Porche 911, or a Dodge Viper to the
> phillipines,
> > if so, how much did it cost?
> >

> I did. I shipped one to my brother the other year and paid no tax. 'Course
> it was a MatchBox model. A real car? Get real!
>
> Johnny

Dyani mahal yang utak mo... Slightly used... Hehehehehehehehe...

Tansong Isda

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Romy M Abacan wrote:

> A few years ago we invited the BIR representative from the Philippine
> Consulate in San Francisco to conduct a seminar for Filipino-Americans
> going back to the Philippines after retirement from the military. Here are
> some of the information we gathered (some of the information may have
> already been revised)
> 1. Before shipping your car to the Philippines you have to file an
> application permit with the RP BIR in Washington DC. The filing fee is
> $50.00
> 2. The BIR then will assess your vehicle and let you know how much import
> taxes you have to pay prior to your shipping the car.
> 3. The import taxes were as follows:

> a. New - 100% duty on the value of your car (If value is $20K then
> duty is $20k plus

Actually it's 100% duty in Philippine Pesos ($20k=20k in pesos)

> other duties such as VAT, gas guzzler tax, etc.

> b. less than 2 yrs old - 90% of car valuation ($20K X 90%)
> c. less than 3 yrs old - 80%
> d. less than 4 yrs old - 70%
> e. less than 5 yrs old - 60%
> and goes on to 10 yrs old or 10% of value when brand new.

Always in peso values and not dollars

Of course this is not the real problem in shipping the car in the Philippines,
some one just might want it and not give it to the owner.
Another is that the lagay might be heftier than the tax/VAT, etc...
Another is that customs might decide to hold on to it and give it to you years
after.

Romy Abacan

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

Tansong Isda wrote:

> Romy M Abacan wrote:
> >
> > My friends who shipped cars to the Philippines have paid $8,500 on a 1989
> > Volvo 240 three years ago, and $9,600 for a 1990 Honda Accord.
> >
> > If you truly love your car and it's free from defects, it sure is worth to
> > ship it to the Philippines. On the other hand, $12,000 dollars (P468,000)
> > will buy you a nice used car in the Philippines without the headaches of
> > importation. And yes, it has A/C, and A/T, but may have no power locks,
> > etc.
> >
> > Romy Abacan

> Of course this is not the real problem in shipping the car in the Philippines,
> some one just might want it and not give it to the owner.
> Another is that the lagay might be heftier than the tax/VAT, etc...
> Another is that customs might decide to hold on to it and give it to you years
> after.

Romy Abacan writes:

This was true 7 years ago and have heard it happened to a fellow retired
military. I'm not sure whether this is still happening now since Miriam Santiago
apparently cleaned up many of the corruptions going on at the Customs Bureau.

My friend shipped a BMW and had nothing but nightmares concerning that shipment.
He was walking in Makati when he saw a car that look just like his. He approached
the car and tried his key out of curiousity. The car opened and inside he
discovered many things quite familliar to him. He opened the hood, checked the
engine no., and other things familiar to a car owner, and decided to drive off
with the car. He hid the car and covered it and went to the US Air Force Liaison
in Manila to check on his car shipment. Lo and behold, it arrived a few days ago
and supposedly was in the port area waiting to be checked out.

Meanwhile the car was reported missing, and since the "owner" is a top government
official, the police gave looking out for it top priority.

When the sailor went to the port area to follow up on his car, he was told that he
can not inspect until he paid the necessary import taxes.

To make the long story short, many excuses were made for him not to check out his
car. He got so frustrated that he decided to drive his car and use it since he
has all the necessary paperworks. After a couple of weeks of driving, he was
spotted by the police patrol and stopped. He was arrested for "car-napping" and
was jailed. He explained himself to no avail, but was released when his brother
when to Channel 7 to tell the newsmen there.

The car was brought back to the port area and was placed on "auction" because the
"time given to process the car for local registration" had expired.

Note: Like I said, this happened several years ago and I doubt if this is still
happening. This was the main reason why papers are now being processed here in
the States prior to shipment to avoid this from happening.
1. You know in advance how much import taxes you have to pay
2. All lineholders on your car is cleared
3. You have the chance to backdown in case the import tax is too much for you
to afford. All you have lost is your $50 application fee.

The customs people in the Manila Port Area will surely take advantage of you if
you:
1. Look "tanga" and appears more than willing to give "lagay"
2. You're doing something illegal and wants to have your vehicle processed
anyway.
a. Shipping somebody else's car under your name
b. violating shipment of oversized vehicles
c. Shipping commercial vehicles on a "passenger car only" permit
3. Ignorant of shipping laws and regulations

Lochinvar

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Tansong Isda <ta...@linkonline.net> wrote:

>Romy M Abacan wrote:

>> A few years ago we invited the BIR representative from the Philippine
>> Consulate in San Francisco to conduct a seminar for Filipino-Americans
>> going back to the Philippines after retirement from the military. Here are
>> some of the information we gathered (some of the information may have
>> already been revised)
>> 1. Before shipping your car to the Philippines you have to file an
>> application permit with the RP BIR in Washington DC. The filing fee is
>> $50.00
>> 2. The BIR then will assess your vehicle and let you know how much import
>> taxes you have to pay prior to your shipping the car.
>> 3. The import taxes were as follows:
>> a. New - 100% duty on the value of your car (If value is $20K then
>> duty is $20k plus

>Actually it's 100% duty in Philippine Pesos ($20k=20k in pesos)

>> other duties such as VAT, gas guzzler tax, etc.

>> b. less than 2 yrs old - 90% of car valuation ($20K X 90%)
>> c. less than 3 yrs old - 80%
>> d. less than 4 yrs old - 70%
>> e. less than 5 yrs old - 60%
>> and goes on to 10 yrs old or 10% of value when brand new.

>Always in peso values and not dollars

nalilito ako sa matematiks ni isda.

--
Lochinvar Bucane
Grand Rapids, MI

Lochinvar

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Romy Abacan <rab...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>This was true 7 years ago and have heard it happened to a fellow retired
>military. I'm not sure whether this is still happening now since Miriam Santiago
>apparently cleaned up many of the corruptions going on at the Customs Bureau.

<snipped>

if i have to do this, i have to put in my papers that my consignee is
my ninong na congressman. hindi pwedeng walang tulong sa itaas.

Tonyo

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Romy Abacan wrote:

> Tansong Isda wrote:
>
> > Romy M Abacan wrote:
> > >
> > > My friends who shipped cars to the Philippines have paid $8,500 on a 1989
> > > Volvo 240 three years ago, and $9,600 for a 1990 Honda Accord.
> > >
> > > If you truly love your car and it's free from defects, it sure is worth to
> > > ship it to the Philippines. On the other hand, $12,000 dollars (P468,000)
> > > will buy you a nice used car in the Philippines without the headaches of
> > > importation. And yes, it has A/C, and A/T, but may have no power locks,
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > Romy Abacan
>
> > Of course this is not the real problem in shipping the car in the Philippines,
> > some one just might want it and not give it to the owner.
> > Another is that the lagay might be heftier than the tax/VAT, etc...
> > Another is that customs might decide to hold on to it and give it to you years
> > after.
>
> Romy Abacan writes:
>
> This was true 7 years ago and have heard it happened to a fellow retired
> military. I'm not sure whether this is still happening now since Miriam Santiago
> apparently cleaned up many of the corruptions going on at the Customs Bureau.

Mr. Abacan

Sen. Brenda Santiago was never been a Commissioner of the Bureau of
Customs. She was the former commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration.
If you were getting the wrong signals from the corrupt press of the PI,
nagkakamali kayo ng hakahaka na nilinis nya ang kung anuman. The only
thing she cleaned is toilet in her house.

Tonyong Gago

Tansong Isda

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

Tonyo wrote:

> Sen. Brenda Santiago was never been a Commissioner of the Bureau of
> Customs. She was the former commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration.
> If you were getting the wrong signals from the corrupt press of the PI,
> nagkakamali kayo ng hakahaka na nilinis nya ang kung anuman. The only
> thing she cleaned is toilet in her house.
>
> Tonyong Gago

You are right, Ms. Santiago was in Immigration, and she was at one time accused of
receiving a Mercedes, thru Customs. Remember that?

Tansong Isda

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

Lochinvar wrote:

> Tansong Isda <ta...@linkonline.net> wrote:
> nalilito ako sa matematiks ni isda.
>

> --
> Lochinvar Bucane
> Grand Rapids, MI
> LBu...@prodigy.net
> http://www.geocities/Paris/4345

Simple lang, do not change anything just the currency.
100% of the value in Peso, 20 thou dollars=20 thou in peso. Value in dollars with
equivalent in pesos (without the actual exchange rate), I know it is confusing at
first,
because it is not based on math.

Tonyo

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

Lochinvar wrote:

> Tansong Isda <ta...@linkonline.net> wrote:
>
> nalilito ako sa matematiks ni isda.
>
> --
> Lochinvar Bucane

The dutiable value or the value where the tax will be computed or
(again) the tax base will be based on the blue book value minus
depreciation plus the cost of freight. The blue book value is based on
a book where all the listings of the car prices are published.
Sometimes it is called the red book. Take note "Blue Book Value" not
the "Acquisition Cost"

Depreciation is based in the year model, your car will be depreciated
10% less each year but only up to 50%:

Car - Yr. Model Depreciation Blue Book Tax Base
A 1997 10% USD 1000 USD 900
B 1996 20% USD 1000 USD 800
C 1995 30 USD 1000 USD 700
D 1996 40% USD 1000 USD 600
E 1995 50% USD 1000 USD 500
F 1994 50% USD 1000 USD 500
G 1993 50% USD 1000 USD 500

After finding the Tax Base, ayan na po ang patungan ng taxes.

Siyempre ipapatong dyan ang Freight cost.

EG. Car D (year model 1996) at USD 1,000
Less: Depreciation (40%) 400
--------
Tax Base before freight 600
Add: Freight Cost (US) 500
--------
Dutiable Value 1100

Tapos ipapatong dito ang Ad Valorem Tax Rate at Value Added Tax,
mahabang istorya yon pero kung gusto ninyo talaga ng computation na
matino baka himatayin kayo sa cost ng Taxes na babayaran.

Isa pang punto, dapat alamin ninyo ang tamang computation bago kayo
mag-import. Nang sa ganon alam ninyo ang ilalagay ninyo sa Customs at
sa Bureau of Imports. Kalimitan mas garapal ang nasa Bureau of
Imports.

Minsan kasi sinubukan naming mag-parating kaya yan kahit papano kumita.
Bosing para makatipid babaan ang no of cylinders (for lower advalorem
tax rate) at 5 years or above ang year model... and find a good broker
para walang sakit ng ulo.

Tonyong Gago

lakandula

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

> Of course this is not the real problem in shipping the car in the Philippines,
> some one just might want it and not give it to the owner.
> Another is that the lagay might be heftier than the tax/VAT, etc...
> Another is that customs might decide to hold on to it and give it to you years
> after.

.. for as long as smut still resides at the bureau of customs, one just
have to kiss that same old freaking system to get by. if you really have
to import anything, you got to make sure you have inside connections at
the port of entry to begin with or just kiss your imports goodbye ...

Bill Petrie

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

I don't remember that but I remember when her name was Miriam.

Bill