Education in CzR

Rafa

Aug 24, 2002, 12:08:36 PM8/24/02
I've stay one week in Praha for Holidays and I'm impressed
for the little education of Czech People. In a country tha is opening to the
CE I thing people must be a little more educate with the visitor(money,
money, money.....)
I thing all you will remain with all your arquitectonic pearls but
without tourist. You are working for it

Think about this and, please, NOT XENOFOBIA

Rafa

Michaela Holst

Aug 24, 2002, 6:42:53 AM8/24/02
You have been in Prague....only Prague.....for one week and now you say that
czech people have little education?? You say that after one week of staying
in Prague?? May I ask how did you come to the conclusion??

Michaela

"Rafa" <rha...@wanadoo.es> skrev i en meddelelse

Ikarie XB1

Aug 24, 2002, 7:54:19 AM8/24/02
And what actually happened to you; looks like you could not find a
girl who would go with you for free? Sorry to hear that.

Ikarie XB1

Jaroslav Polacek

Aug 24, 2002, 8:51:23 AM8/24/02
Have you payed your subscription fee? Don't you know that foreigners
have to pay an annual fee to have the right of contribution to this
NG?

Jarda

easttrader67

Aug 24, 2002, 6:23:07 PM8/24/02
"Rafa" <rha...@wanadoo.es> wrote in message news:<ak7hs8$561$1...@news.wanadoo.es>...

You are from Spain right? In Your own words: I´have stay several times
in Spain and I´m impressed for the "specific" education of Spanish
people. In a country that "tries" to be a part of CE i think must
be....blalalbla (money , money, money)
think about this and where Your recent success is coming from (money
from France Germany Sweden England ...) but please, who cares what You
think

HWal362039

Aug 24, 2002, 7:13:21 PM8/24/02
do you know what you are talking about?
h.walther

Lukáš Hošek

Aug 25, 2002, 1:39:40 PM8/25/02
"Rafa" <rha...@wanadoo.es> píše v diskusním příspěvku

I've heard the same thing about Spain.
The fact is that education system in CR is much better than in US(My personal
experience).
But from what I have heard from one of my teachers who was on a short-term
attachment in Spain it is also better than spanish system.

I'm not quite sure but if my memory doesn't deceive me one class in spain takes
30 min. In CR it is 45 min. They have 4 classes per day in spanish elementary
schools. In CR it is 4 in 1st year and about 7 in 9th year.
Again, I'm not sure whether these informations are correct or not, but I can
rebember that when I heard about the spanish education system for the first time
my first thought was that they spand much less time in school than we and that
they are problably much less educated after finishing elementary school.

Lukáš Hošek

Rafa

Aug 25, 2002, 1:52:24 PM8/25/02
Thanks for these "constructive" answers.

Michaela, you have some reason, but is difficuld travel trough Czech
Republic because in Tourist Offices, Info Bureaus, Railway stations .....
dont want provide the information.

Ikarie, you are a Good example of my opinion, thank you. I travel Praha with
my family.

Easttreder67. I must remember you that Czeck Republic will be soon a new
member of CE. NOT XENOFOBIA. You are also a good example of my opinion.

HWal, visit some Forums about Travel Czech Republic and make a estadistic.
Many people have the same opinion than I have.

All you must accept the opinion that forigners have of you.

Rafa

Rafa

Aug 25, 2002, 2:07:56 PM8/25/02
Lukas, i dont know anything about your Education System, I'm speaking about
the minimal interelation norms. I think that the cultural level is very high
i your country but tist is no the question.

Rafa

In Spain the classer are for 1 hours always.
"Lukás Hosek" <ho...@mbox.vol.cz.antispam> escribió en el mensaje
> "Rafa" <rha...@wanadoo.es> píse v diskusním příspěvku

> Lukás Hosek

sisi

Aug 25, 2002, 2:39:32 PM8/25/02
"Rafa" <rha...@wanadoo.es> wrote in message news:<ak7hs8$561$1...@news.wanadoo.es>...

¨Hello ?i agree with Rafa.People in CZ are ill-educated do not know
what human being means.They are not friendly not smiling which you can
see it with the strange behavioür of the waiters .Sorry having this
idea but this is the clear true.By the way I am leaving here one
year.Hope that with pasing the time they will chanhe for better. Have
a nice time.
Sisi

Michaela Holst

Aug 25, 2002, 4:39:25 PM8/25/02
Well I am sorry about your expirience. But that experience with Tourist
Offices, Info Bureaus, Railway stations and I don't know what else has
nothing to do with the EDUCATION of czech people I think.

I agree, that those who are employed in those places don't always know what
they are talking about and they don't always provide people with the info
that they should but that has nothing to do with the education of czech
people. Well in my opinion.

"Rafa" <rha...@yahoo.es> skrev i en meddelelse

Michaela Holst

Aug 25, 2002, 4:44:47 PM8/25/02
Did I understand right, that you Sisi will be staying in Czech republic for
one year now?? If so and if you think czech people are so bad and don't know
what human being is, why do you stay there then???

And I would also like to ask you what made you say that czech people don't
know what a human being is?? What happened to you there?? Where do you come
from??

Michaela

"sisi" <x_c...@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

Yukon

Aug 25, 2002, 5:58:09 PM8/25/02
On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:39:40 +0200, "Lukáš Hošek"
<ho...@mbox.vol.cz.antispam> wrote:

*"Rafa" <rha...@wanadoo.es> píše v diskusním příspěvku
*news:ak7hs8$561$1...@news.wanadoo.es...
*> I've stay one week in Praha for Holidays and I'm impressed
*> for the little education of Czech People. In a country tha is
opening to the
*> CE I thing people must be a little more educate with the
visitor(money,
*> money, money.....)
*> I thing all you will remain with all your arquitectonic pearls
but
*> without tourist. You are working for it
*>
*> Think about this and, please, NOT XENOFOBIA
*

*The fact is that education system in CR is much better than in US(My
personal
*experience).

*
*Lukáš Hošek
*
*
If your educational system is the best in the world, how come that
you (Czechs) couldn't produce a decent toilet paper, much less
computers?

Why do you have to copy all the innovations in the world of
electronics? Why are you copiers instead of inventors? You
experienced the US educational system but obviously you haven't
learned a fucking thing. Yukon

Michaela Holst

Aug 26, 2002, 2:37:03 AM8/26/02
Well maybe I am wrong but, nobody here wrote that czech education is best in
the world. Or is it because somebody here wrote, that after his opinion, the
czech education system is better then in the US??

Something really bad must have happened to you in Czech republic when you
talk so bad about Czech rep. and people there. Did you live there??

And you know what....maybe there wasn't anything to learn from the US
educational system.

Michaela

"Yukon " <yuko...@centrum.cz> skrev i en meddelelse
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:39:40 +0200, "Lukás Hosek"
> <ho...@mbox.vol.cz.antispam> wrote:
>
> *"Rafa" <rha...@wanadoo.es> píse v diskusním příspěvku

> *news:ak7hs8$561$1...@news.wanadoo.es...
> *> I've stay one week in Praha for Holidays and I'm impressed
> *> for the little education of Czech People. In a country tha is
> opening to the
> *> CE I thing people must be a little more educate with the
> visitor(money,
> *> money, money.....)
> *> I thing all you will remain with all your arquitectonic pearls
> but
> *> without tourist. You are working for it
> *>
> *> Think about this and, please, NOT XENOFOBIA
> *
>
> *The fact is that education system in CR is much better than in US(My
> personal
> *experience).
>
> *

> *Lukás Hosek

Yukon

Aug 26, 2002, 11:02:33 AM8/26/02
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:37:03 +0200, "Michaela Holst"
<alea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

*Well maybe I am wrong but, nobody here wrote that czech education is
best in
*the world. Or is it because somebody here wrote, that after his
opinion, the
*czech education system is better then in the US??

..and better than in Spain, I believe.

*Something really bad must have happened to you in Czech republic when
you
*talk so bad about Czech rep. and people there. Did you live there??
*
*And you know what....maybe there wasn't anything to learn from the US
*educational system.

Well, to me that's in an indication that his Czech education did not
give him much: He doesn't ever recognize that there is something to
learned from a number one achiever in the world: the US. And that
seems to go for you too. y

May be you can tell me what I said about the Czechs that is not true?

yukon

*Michaela
*

Michaela Holst

Aug 26, 2002, 1:14:44 PM8/26/02
Well I happened to like the czech toilet paper....but then....I didn't try
the US toilet paper :o)

And maybe they didn't invent alot of stuf like the number one achiver US.
But I think there is alot of talented people in Czech rep.

I know that things in Czech rep. are far from perfect. Maybe I am just sorry
that so many people have such bad expiriences from Czech republic. I lived
there for 26 years and I was sometimes pissed off and ashamed myself. Now I
live in Denmark...I have been living here for almost 2 years now with my
husband. It is not perfect here either. Ok things are working better then in
Czech republic. And I have to say that people here in Denmark are much more
friendly to each other then in CR. So I guess I have to admit, that alot of
you people are mostly right about CR. But I still think that they are trying
to improve things there.

I think you are originaly from Czech rep. too aren't you Yukon??

Michaela

"Yukon " <yuko...@centrum.cz> skrev i en meddelelse

Matt B.

Aug 26, 2002, 4:18:05 PM8/26/02
Rafa <rha...@yahoo.es> wrote

> Michaela, you have some reason, but is difficuld travel trough Czech
> Republic because in Tourist Offices, Info Bureaus, Railway stations .....
> dont want provide the information.

How very true!

Once I went to Hlavni Nadrazi (Prague's central railway station) to
ask for some info about a trip to a nearby town. At the info bureau
there was a woman greedily munching some snack. When I asked
if she spoke any English her answer was no, and it was only because
I insisted on requesting the info that she provided it at last, however
reluctantly. Needless to say, she *did* speak English.

Matt

Lukáš Hošek

Aug 26, 2002, 8:36:29 PM8/26/02
"Rafa" <rha...@yahoo.es> píše v diskusním příspěvku

"Most people don't like them but most people are idiots"
- Casius Cosades, Balmora, Morrowind

Well actually now I'm a bit confused. In your first post you talked about little
education, in one of your next post you said you didn't mean education system
and now it looks like you are talking about interpersonal relations or more
exactly abut czech bureaucrats not willing to help you.

If you are talking about the bureaucrats not willing to help you, you are right,
it's not exactly as it should be.
But if you are talking about the level of education in ČR, you probably just met
a wrong company.

Lukáš Hošek

Lukás Hosek

Aug 26, 2002, 9:03:38 PM8/26/02
"sisi" <x_c...@hotmail.com> píse v diskusním príspevku

> ¨Hello ?i agree with Rafa.People in CZ are ill-educated do not know
> what human being means.They are not friendly not smiling which you can
> see it with the strange behavioür of the waiters .Sorry having this
> idea but this is the clear true.By the way I am leaving here one
> year.Hope that with pasing the time they will chanhe for better. Have
> a nice time.
> Sisi

Waiters weren't smiling?
You maybe met one of those moronic always-pissed waiters.
But maybe it was just one of those ordinary waiters who has just got enough of
his own troubles.
One of the strangest things I noticed when I was in USA is that everybody was
always smiling. Waiters, secretarists. Especially shop assistants in wall-mart
looked like they were wearing Bolek Polívka's face deformator. Don't you think
it is a bit unnatural? People aren't just smiling machines. They have their own
troubles and some of them find it very hard to keep it to themselves. When I was
in USA I noticed that my classmates have some kind of learned to always smile
and to tell people things like "I know that if I'll try hard enough and
persistently I'll be a sucessful [popstar, astronaut, president, bureaucrat -
take your pick]". I and other people from CR found it quite funny and maybe a
bit hipocritical. When I was there I was 16 and I had completely different
things in mind than becoming a sucessful bureaucrat. I don't think there are so
drastical differences between young poeople in CR and USA. It's hust that czech
children aren't forced to listen to all this brainwashing stuff that keeps
telling them "You must be sucessful, don§t show any emotions, it's a singn of
weakness.."

Lukás Hosek

Lukáš Hošek

Aug 26, 2002, 8:16:01 PM8/26/02
"Yukon " <yuko...@centrum.cz> píše v diskusním příspěvku

> If your educational system is the best in the world, how come that
> you (Czechs) couldn't produce a decent toilet paper, much less
> computers?
>
> Why do you have to copy all the innovations in the world of
> electronics? Why are you copiers instead of inventors? You
> experienced the US educational system but obviously you haven't
> learned a fucking thing. Yukon

You are right: I experienced it but I haven't learned a fucking thing.
I was in the second year and I was surprised that the brand new subject matter
introduced in math in 2. yr were linear equations. I didn't need to learn any
technical subject because I already knew everything explained there since I was
in 9. yr in elementary school.
But it's of course my fault that I haven't enrolled at such intresting subject
I'll probably never see in ordinary czech scools, like hair styling or drama.
These things don't matter, they are just small flaws in US education system.
The biggest cock-up is that all high schools in US are the same! You cannot
choose between gymnázium, průmyslovka or FAMU. All specialization on US high
schools is realized through picking few optional subjects.

Kromě toho američani chodí na střední a myslí si že chodí na vysokolu :-)

Lukáš Hošek

Yukon

Aug 27, 2002, 2:31:31 AM8/27/02
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:03:38 +0200, "Lukás Hosek"
[...]

You continue sounding like an immature young kid, that got into a
tantrum because when he was in America, they did not exactly know
where Czech Republic was. His feelings got hurt so badly, that he
won't forgive them till the day he dies. Now he even minds because
they smiled at him when he was over there. Too bad that resources
were wasted on paying your tuition and trip expernses
because some other student would have learned greatly from the
experience. Your observations lack good logic and good
intelllectual discernment. I won't go on with this, because you
would be wasting my time. But just to give you a food for thought:

The very media you are so gladly embracing: the Internet is a product
of people whose education you deem inferior. This is something you
should be able to reason out yourself, it should make you stop and
think: Perhpas the American education offers something, that mine does
not.

Personally, I cannot recall a single technological product
produced by the Czechs educated in their superior schools, that I am
aware of. May be you can refresh my mind. If you got all the
schooling in the world, but cannot tie your own shoe laces, who gives
a shit?
I personally think you should go back to school, be it Czech or
American and take some classes dealing with logic and ability to
reason. Perhaps you had too many classes in mathematics and you lack
simple common sense. I would even suggest a class in homemaking, so
you don't go home and burn water while boiling it. I have seen so
many Czechs come and go, foolishly proclaiming how well educated they
are, so much better than America, but for the life of me I don't see
any of it when I go there. As a matter of fact anything worth having
over there was made in the US or some other Western country.
Get real.

Good bye, I am done. yukon

Rookie

Aug 27, 2002, 5:11:27 AM8/27/02
So America has invented lots of stuff therefore it's people are well
educated?Not only does it not follow, it's not even true that considering
it's size America has invented/produced so much more stuff than other
countries.
As a sign of it's good education, Czech has produced lots of great writers
and artists. I can think of about ten decent American writers, which again
considering how damn big the place is, is pathetic.

Rafa

Aug 27, 2002, 9:34:53 AM8/27/02
Read all messages, please and then answer. Your confusion will be less.
May be you dont want understand. Good example off lack of education. The
same do your friends of CR.: "Tell me what you want that i'll do what i
want".

Rafa

> "Rafa" <rha...@yahoo.es> píse v diskusním příspěvku

> "Most people don't like them but most people are idiots"

> - Casius Cosades, Balmora, Morrowind
>
> Well actually now I'm a bit confused. In your first post you talked about
little
> education, in one of your next post you said you didn't mean education
system
> and now it looks like you are talking about interpersonal relations or
more
> exactly abut czech bureaucrats not willing to help you.
>
> If you are talking about the bureaucrats not willing to help you, you are
right,
> it's not exactly as it should be.
> But if you are talking about the level of education in ČR, you probably
just met
> a wrong company.
>

> Lukás Hosek

Yukon Jack

Aug 27, 2002, 4:18:24 PM8/27/02
x_c...@hotmail.com (sisi) wrote in message news:<ef19ab95.02082...@posting.google.com>...

Well, you got some people on this ng posting, that they thought it was
strange that people would smile at them while visiting in the US. That
they seem like robots. So does your experience in Czechlands surprise
you? y

Yukon Jack

Aug 27, 2002, 4:39:21 PM8/27/02
"Michaela Holst" <alea...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3d6a61ec$0$27658$edfa...@dspool01.news.tele.dk>...

> Well I happened to like the czech toilet paper....but then....I didn't try
> the US toilet paper :o)

...gee, there were people who were content with a cut-up newspaper too
! :-)

> And maybe they didn't invent alot of stuf like the number one achiver US.
> But I think there is alot of talented people in Czech rep.>
> I know that things in Czech rep. are far from perfect. Maybe I am just sorry
> that so many people have such bad expiriences from Czech republic. I lived
> there for 26 years and I was sometimes pissed off and ashamed myself. Now I
> live in Denmark...I have been living here for almost 2 years now with my
> husband. It is not perfect here either. Ok things are working better then in
> Czech republic. And I have to say that people here in Denmark are much more
> friendly to each other then in CR. So I guess I have to admit, that alot of
> you people are mostly right about CR. But I still think that they are trying
> to improve things there.
>
> I think you are originaly from Czech rep. too aren't you Yukon??
>
> Michaela

Yes, I am from Praha, the previous regime did all kinds of nasty
stuff to my family, ..like stealing family business. But I hold no
grudge and the Czechlands have a special place in my heart. That's
all water under the bridge. I still have two sisters living there
and tons of relatives.

I find it rather stupid for somebody from CZ, who went to school in
the US, and would make a statement: education is better in Cz than
in the US. That is an ignorant statement. We have fiftly states
here and they are all different in their approach to education. Just
like fifty different countries. So that in itself is a dumb
statement. Obviously, the person who said that doesn't have enough
brains to conclude that on his own. But I addressed this issue
somewhere else on this ng, so I am not going to repeat myself.

I tend to be overly critical of my country of birth, because I'd
like to see them do good. I am very pro-Czech when I talk to
non-Czechs! But don't take me too seriously, half the time I don't
what I am talking about! And that there are lots of talented people
in CZ? Sure, look at me and you! yukon

Lukáš Hošek

Aug 27, 2002, 4:17:24 PM8/27/02

> Read all messages, please and then answer. Your confusion will be less.
> May be you dont want understand. Good example off lack of education. The
> same do your friends of CR.: "Tell me what you want that i'll do what i
> want".
>
> Rafa

Remember what you wrote in your first post?

"Think about this and, please, NOT XENOFOBIA"

Lukáš Hošek

Lukáš Hošek

Aug 27, 2002, 4:23:44 PM8/27/02

> You continue sounding like an immature young kid, that got into a
> tantrum because when he was in America, they did not exactly know
> where Czech Republic was. His feelings got hurt so badly, that he
> won't forgive them till the day he dies. Now he even minds because
> they smiled at him when he was over there. Too bad that resources
> were wasted on paying your tuition and trip expernses
> because some other student would have learned greatly from the
> experience. Your observations lack good logic and good
> intelllectual discernment. I won't go on with this, because you
> would be wasting my time. But just to give you a food for thought:

Do not exaggerate. I did not expect them to know where exactly CR is and as a
swap they did not expect me to know where Milwaukee and Newark is. But I DID
expect them to know that we have beds with quilts, warm water and that Prague
doesn't look like suburbs in Bejrut.
But it's no wonder they think so. I've recently played Soldier of Fortune II and
the first mission took place in Prague. It started with an intro showing the
main character reporting at control point (!) in Prague and one of the soldiers
wanted him to show a "biljet" :-) This is when I realized that the going gets
tough. Not to mention that all the buildings in the game looked like from Bagdad
after bombing.
I'm courious now to see a new american movie "Česká spojka". I hope it won't be
such a nonsense.

Of course I like people smiling at me, but they must have a good reason to do
that (they succeeded in something earlier, they heard a good joke or they just
like to see me), but I don't think smiling at me because you have it in your job
description is a good reason.

> The very media you are so gladly embracing: the Internet is a product
> of people whose education you deem inferior. This is something you
> should be able to reason out yourself, it should make you stop and
> think: Perhpas the American education offers something, that mine does
> not.

I think that indian immigrants in USA have MUCH more merit on developing
internet than americans.

> Personally, I cannot recall a single technological product
> produced by the Czechs educated in their superior schools, that I am
> aware of. May be you can refresh my mind. If you got all the
> schooling in the world, but cannot tie your own shoe laces, who gives
> a shit?

I'll try to refresh your mind: how about semtex :-)? Or contact lenses?
Discovery of polarized light? Jára Cimrman?

> I personally think you should go back to school, be it Czech or
> American and take some classes dealing with logic and ability to
> reason. Perhaps you had too many classes in mathematics and you lack
> simple common sense. I would even suggest a class in homemaking, so
> you don't go home and burn water while boiling it. I have seen so
> many Czechs come and go, foolishly proclaiming how well educated they
> are, so much better than America, but for the life of me I don't see
> any of it when I go there. As a matter of fact anything worth having
> over there was made in the US or some other Western country.
> Get real.

A to byla moudrost otce Fura pro tento týden.
Proboha Yukone já nevim na co si hraješ! Nezapomeň že jsi taky jeden z těch
šmejdských čechů a přestaň ze sebe konečně dělat pseudoamerickýho
pseudopatriota. Byl jsem v americe a řeknu ti rovnou: nechtěl bych tam strávit
zbytek života. Chování američanů je prostě jiný. Neříkám že lepší nebo horší, na
tohle nemá patent žádnej národ, ale prostě jiný a nesedlo mi. Nebo se mi tam
třeba nelíbila taková ta politická korektnost za každou cenu. Proč mají proboha
firmy stanovenou kvótu na zaměstnávání národnostních menšin? Nebo třeba to že na
televizi běží v podvečerních hodinách takový ty výchovný seriály ze života
mládeže (typická scénka: 16letá holka vpadne do baráku svý kamarádky a říká
"Kouřila sem marihuanu a teď je mi hrozně blbě"; druhá typická scénka: hlavní
záporňák právě vyhazuje pytlík od sušenek do popelnice s nápisem glass, když tu
k němu přistoupí uvědomělé děvče které mu vysvětlí jak hrozně to ohrožuje
přírodu), jak se všichni snaží vyhnout slovu černoch a používají místo toho
slovo afroameričan. Postřeh ze života americké mládeže: všichni se snaží bejt
hrozně cool, což pro ně v praxi znamená oblíkat se podle nejnovějších trendů a
nakonec to topadne tak že jsou všichni oblečení stejně. Já bych tam prostě nebyl
šťastnej.
Za svůj dosud poměrně krátký život jsem procestoval celkem dost zemí a můžu
zodpovědně říct že jediný co bych měnil za ČR jsou severoevropské země. Já jsem
byl konkrétně ve Finsku a musim říct že takový to pojetí osobní svobody (nebo
jak bych to řekl, nejsem žádnej ústavní právník tak mě nechytejte za slovo) je
tam srovnatelný s ČR a navíc jsou tam poměrně pestré možnosti kulturního vyžití.

Jenomže má vůbec cenu tohle říkat člověku kterej je celou dobu zakopanej v
kasárnách na Aliašce a jediné jeho kulturní vyžití představuje podle všeho
kabelovka?

Další postřeh ze života americké mládeže: pokud chcete jít na koncert někam do
klubu tak máte dvě možnosti: buďto někde sehnat falešnej řidičák nebo počkat až
vám bude jednadvacet. Hlídači totiž na koncerty do klubů zásadně nepouštějí
protože něják automatický předpokládají že jakmile se dostanete dovnitř tak se
tam začnete vožírat.

> Good bye, I am done. yukon

Nápodobně, Lukáš Hošek

Michaela Holst

Aug 28, 2002, 6:23:22 AM8/28/02
Thanks for that reply Yukon. And was that a compliment there at the end? :o)
thanks

And about the different aproach to education?? Well you are right about that
of course.

Michaela
"Yukon Jack" <mys...@gci.net> skrev i en meddelelse

easttrader67

Aug 28, 2002, 3:23:09 PM8/28/02
"Rafa" <rha...@yahoo.es> wrote in message news:<akb590$fc0$1...@news.wanadoo.es>...

> Thanks for these "constructive" answers.
>
> Michaela, you have some reason, but is difficuld travel trough Czech
> Republic because in Tourist Offices, Info Bureaus, Railway stations .....
> dont want provide the information.
>
> Ikarie, you are a Good example of my opinion, thank you. I travel Praha with
> my family.
>
> Easttreder67. I must remember you that Czeck Republic will be soon a new
> member of CE. NOT XENOFOBIA. You are also a good example of my opinion."

really a good example, my dear spanish friend, just for Your
information most of the participants of this NG are not even Czech
citizens. I spent my entire life in EU or US enviroment. You should
try to improve conditions for foreign visitors in Your own country
first. It is more than necessary and thats no XENO.. whatever. As a
visitor from one of the most underdeveloped CE-countries, You should
have more understanding......

Yukon Jack

Aug 28, 2002, 5:53:33 PM8/28/02
"Michaela Holst" <alea...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3d6ca479$0$60692$edfa...@dspool01.news.tele.dk>...

> Thanks for that reply Yukon. And was that a compliment there at the end? :o)
> thanks

Subtle, ..but it was y

Rafa

Aug 29, 2002, 10:07:18 AM8/29/02

Hello Easttrader:
I'm agree with you because I'm a spanish critical with Spain and critical
with negative attitudes in the countries that I visit. I'm not talcking
about the level of developement of CR. I thing people have a big potential
and have a good future as a members of CE. But i dont like the treatment
given to the tourist and you must to accept that this is a generaliced
opinion among CR visitors. Also i see a shade of xenofobia in this treatment
and i dont like this. In spain there are also people who see the tourists as
inferior beings, not me. This occurs also in London, París..... not in
India, Nepal, Morocco, Egypt and are undeveloped countryes.
In my work (trading) i have relation with tourist and is realy pleasant be
polite, its positive for both, they return next year with friends and come
to my shop because they feel well. Also emigrants from south america and
Magreb. You can learn a lot from every person but is necessary a big dossis
of humility.
Sure you have a lot of experiences of this type, living in a EU environment
and you can understand-me. I try to be constructive telling you that you
must change your attitude with the tourist, but seems to be an atack to the
Czech self-steem.

Rafa

Jack Stone

Aug 28, 2002, 3:19:59 PM8/28/02

"Yukon Jack" <mys...@gci.net> wrote in message
> [...]

To ste meli za to ze ste se na ukor ostatnich obohatili vlastni praci :-)

>But I hold no
> grudge and the Czechlands have a special place in my heart. That's
> all water under the bridge.

Or all over the bridge :-)

>I still have two sisters living there
> and tons of relatives.
>
> I find it rather stupid for somebody from CZ, who went to school in
> the US, and would make a statement: education is better in Cz than
> in the US. That is an ignorant statement. We have fiftly states
> here and they are all different in their approach to education. Just
> like fifty different countries. So that in itself is a dumb
> statement. Obviously, the person who said that doesn't have enough
> brains to conclude that on his own. But I addressed this issue
> somewhere else on this ng, so I am not going to repeat myself.

General education is better in CZ than in the States, which is pretty
obvious to anyone who can compare it from experience. On the other hand, US
tends to concentrate on teaching narrower specialized skills which may be
more practical in the real world. Of course I'm not talkin' about those US
schools that produce 80% of failures altogether and which are quite
plentiful.

> I tend to be overly critical of my country of birth, because I'd
> like to see them do good.

Yeah, right :-)

>I am very pro-Czech when I talk to
> non-Czechs! But don't take me too seriously, half the time I don't
> what I am talking about!

You finally are telling it like it is:-)

> And that there are lots of talented people
> in CZ? Sure, look at me and you! yukon

And especially me! :-))
--

Jack Stone

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Lepsi pivo v zaludku nezli voda na plicich."
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
''
"It's better to have beer in the stomach than water in the lungs."

J. Cimrman

e_svoboda

Aug 29, 2002, 9:22:41 AM8/29/02
"sisi" <x_c...@hotmail.com> wrote

> ¨Hello ?i agree with Rafa.People in CZ are ill-educated

please define "il-educated" so we know what you are talking about.

> do not know what human being means.

Pardon?

> They are not friendly not smiling which you can
> see it with the strange behavioür of the waiters .

I see, smiling means friendly. No it does not. The artificial smile you see
in theshop assistants in teh West (that is IF you can catch a shop assistant
to help you) is just that an artificial contortion of some face muscules and
is not to be confused with friendliness.

> Sorry having this
> idea but this is the clear true.

No it is not - not exactly. By the way I am leaving here one

> year.Hope that with pasing the time they will chanhe for better. Have
> a nice time.

Again, Sisi you would need to specify what you call "for better". I'd rather
have non smiling waiter serving me well, than smiling waiter forgetting my
order, or not knowing what the dish I want to order is..........

Jiri Borsky

Aug 29, 2002, 5:15:51 PM8/29/02
e_svoboda wrote:

> Again, Sisi you would need to specify what you call "for better". I'd rather
> have non smiling waiter serving me well, than smiling waiter forgetting my
> order, or not knowing what the dish I want to order is..........

...or discharging the contents of his nose into the sauce.
(Sorry, but could not resist carrying on with your ellipsis.)

Wasn't there someone urinating on hamburgers in the USA recently? With a
big smile, natural! (No, not naturally, natural. Unless there was more than
one of them. And yes, s hackem nad c.)

Jiri Borsky

Yukon Jack

Aug 29, 2002, 6:50:08 PM8/29/02
"Rafa" <rha...@yahoo.es> wrote in message news:<akla04$gtu$1...@reader2.wnet>...

> Hello Easttrader:
> I'm agree with you because I'm a spanish critical with Spain and critical
> with negative attitudes in the countries that I visit. I'm not talcking
> about the level of developement of CR. I thing people have a big potential
> and have a good future as a members of CE. But i dont like the treatment
> given to the tourist and you must to accept that this is a generaliced
> opinion among CR visitors. Also i see a shade of xenofobia in this treatment
> and i dont like this. In spain there are also people who see the tourists as
> inferior beings, not me. This occurs also in London, París..... not in
> India, Nepal, Morocco, Egypt and are undeveloped countryes.
> In my work (trading) i have relation with tourist and is realy pleasant be
> polite, its positive for both, they return next year with friends and come
> to my shop because they feel well. Also emigrants from south america and
> Magreb. You can learn a lot from every person but is necessary a big dossis
> of humility.
> Sure you have a lot of experiences of this type, living in a EU environment
> and you can understand-me. I try to be constructive telling you that you
> must change your attitude with the tourist, but seems to be an atack to the
> Czech self-steem.
>
> Rafa

You are providing good feedback as a tourist and should be paid
attention to.
But keep in mind that in tourist-frequented places, people become
quite jaded.
But still, if you cannot be pleasant, get the hell out of that job and
do something else. y

Yukon Jack

Aug 29, 2002, 7:27:42 PM8/29/02
"Jack Stone" <stlj...@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<akloh6$

> Yeah, right :-)
>
> >I am very pro-Czech when I talk to
> > non-Czechs! But don't take me too seriously, half the time I don't
> > what I am talking about!
>
> You finally are telling it like it is:-)
>
> > And that there are lots of talented people
> > in CZ? Sure, look at me and you! yukon
>

> And especially me! :-))
> --
>
> Jack Stone

Stone, go get a job. The idleness is killing you and you are beginning
to tread on thin ice! y

Yukon

Aug 30, 2002, 2:36:12 AM8/30/02
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:19:59 +0200, "Jack Stone"
<stlj...@hotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

*
*"Yukon Jack" <mys...@gci.net> wrote in message
*news:1dc94231.02082...@posting.google.com...
*> "Michaela Holst" <alea...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
*news:<3d6a61ec$0$27658$edfa...@dspool01.news.tele.dk>...
*> > Well I happened to like the czech toilet paper....but then....I
didn't
*try
*> > the US toilet paper :o)
*>
*> ...gee, there were people who were content with a cut-up newspaper
too
*> ! :-)
*>
[...]
*> >
*> > I think you are originaly from Czech rep. too aren't you Yukon??
*> >
*> > Michaela
*> >
*> Yes, I am from Praha, the previous regime did all kinds of nasty
*> stuff to my family, ..like stealing family business.
*
*To ste meli za to ze ste se na ukor ostatnich obohatili vlastni praci
:-)
*
[...]
*--
*
* Jack
Stone

Stone, go get a job at Walmart or something, you need aim in your
life y

e_svoboda

Aug 30, 2002, 9:26:02 AM8/30/02

"Yukon Jack" <
cut

> But still, if you cannot be pleasant, get the hell out of that job and
> do something else.

agreed, and added - or do your job well

Jack Stone

Aug 30, 2002, 4:28:37 PM8/30/02

"Yukon Jack" <mys...@gci.net> wrote in message

I gotta agree with that. It happened to me several times when I came to some
shops in downtown Prague where there were English speaking customers trying
to make some kind of conversation with incompetent staff about merchandise,
food, etc. and I ended up as a translator due to feeling sorry for the
customers. If someone wants to have a business that deals with tourists,
they outta hire some competent employees who can speak other languages (at
least English) and manage to be polite. It's not that hard to be polite to
customers.

Jack Stone

Aug 30, 2002, 4:12:12 PM8/30/02

"Yukon " <yuko...@centrum.cz> wrote in message

As long as I can aim correctly at the pissoir at the local pub I'm fine :-)
Besides, there ain't no Walmart here, and hopefully there won't be one.

Jack Stone

Aug 30, 2002, 4:08:39 PM8/30/02

"Yukon Jack" <mys...@gci.net> wrote in message

Job? For what? :-)

Matt B.

Aug 31, 2002, 7:31:45 AM8/31/02
Jiri Borsky <bor...@dialz.pipexz.comz> wrote

> Wasn't there someone urinating on hamburgers in the USA recently?

But surely there also must be someone taking the piss out of them?

Matt

PJKriha

Sep 2, 2002, 3:52:39 AM9/2/02
Jiri Borsky <bor...@dialz.pipexz.comz> wrote in message news:<3D6E8F...@dialz.pipexz.comz>...

You mean with hacek nad tu.

PJK

FEEB

Sep 12, 2002, 2:34:59 PM9/12/02

You DID learn nothing. The same way my nephew DID during his year in KY.
Unfortunately for him, he was 18, you were only 16.

Frank Bures, <spam...@chem.utoronto.ca>

FEEB

Sep 12, 2002, 2:31:03 PM9/12/02
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:14:44 +0200, Michaela Holst wrote:

>live in Denmark...I have been living here for almost 2 years now with my

>husband. It is not perfect here either. Ok things are working better then
in

>Czech republic. And I have to say that people here in Denmark are much

more

>friendly to each other then in CR.

Off topic:

I liked Denmark very much.
To have a dinner on the sidewalk of the old Copenhagen was a very pleasing
experience.
It's on rather expensive side, though.

Would you know what is an average per capita income in Denmark?

Thanks

Frank Bures, <spam...@chem.utoronto.ca>

FEEB

Sep 12, 2002, 2:36:11 PM9/12/02
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:16:01 +0200, Lukáš Hošek wrote:

>Kromě toho američani chodí na střední a myslí si že chodí na vysokolu :-)

I hate to repeat myself, but you indeed DID learn nothing.

Frank Bures, <spam...@chem.utoronto.ca>

FEEB

Sep 12, 2002, 2:50:07 PM9/12/02
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:23:44 +0200, Lukáš Hošek wrote:

>I think that indian immigrants in USA have MUCH more merit on developing
>internet than americans.

Hell, I hate repeating myself, but you really DID learn nothing.
How many Indian immigrants were working for ARPA in 60's? Come one,
surprise me!

>> Personally, I cannot recall a single technological product
>> produced by the Czechs educated in their superior schools, that I am
>> aware of. May be you can refresh my mind. If you got all the
>> schooling in the world, but cannot tie your own shoe laces, who gives
>> a shit?
>
>I'll try to refresh your mind: how about semtex :-)?

Very human invention, really. I think I know where your loyalties are
now.

> Or contact lenses?

Can you please kindly mention at least one Czech company having a
recognizable position at the world contact lenses market?

>Discovery of polarized light?

Are you kidding? What about discovery of a morning, or a sky?

Já jsem
>byl konkrétně ve Finsku a musim říct že takový to pojetí osobní svobody
(nebo
>jak bych to řekl, nejsem žádnej ústavní právník tak mě nechytejte za
slovo) je
>tam srovnatelný s ČR a navíc jsou tam poměrně pestré možnosti kulturního
vyžití.

What you probably liked the most in Finland is their incredible habit of
charging people for traffic violations according to their income. I was
wondering all the time, how are they going to charge me, not knowing my
income and having no way of finding it out. Another symptom of their
personal freedom are the ever-present radar-camera boxes along their
highways. I fell like I was living the Orwell's 1984 - Big Brother was
watching me big time. I must have been the most photographed person in
the country - a real celebrity.
Personal freedom my butt.

Frank Bures, <spam...@chem.utoronto.ca>

Pavel Dvorak

Sep 13, 2002, 11:01:53 AM9/13/02

I do not know the per capita income, but the GDP was about $25500/y in
year 2000. CZ was about $13000/y or so.

Pavel

Tomas

Sep 13, 2002, 2:37:50 PM9/13/02
> >> Personally, I cannot recall a single technological product
> >> produced by the Czechs educated in their superior schools, that I am
> >> aware of. May be you can refresh my mind. If you got all the
> >> schooling in the world, but cannot tie your own shoe laces, who gives
> >> a shit?

You are mixing academic education with industrial production. Those
are two different things. I have been educated in both CZ and US and
my kids in US and CAD and I can confirm that all three systems are
comparable. One of the main differences in the basic education is that
in US or CAD if somebody in the class does not want to learn, then
they leave him alone, compared to czech schools where the teacher
forces all the students in the class to understand the topic before
going forward. And there is no doubt that US universities are far
superior in quality of graduate degrees (Masters and Doctors) then
anybody in czech can even imagine.

Tomas

Tomas

Sep 13, 2002, 2:41:32 PM9/13/02

"Pavel Dvorak" <ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

I guess you wanted to say $5000 USD/year/capita in Cz
source:
http://www.economist.com/countries/CzechRepublic/profile.cfm?folder=Profile%
2DEconomic%20Data

Tomas

http://www.usenet.com

Pavel Dvorak

Sep 14, 2002, 11:43:05 AM9/14/02
"Tomas" (tch...@excite.com) writes:
> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>

> "Pavel Dvorak" <ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
>> "FEEB" (spam...@chem.utoronto.ca) writes:

[some stuff nuked]

>> > Would you know what is an average per capita income in Denmark?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Frank Bures, <spam...@chem.utoronto.ca>
>> >

>> I do not know the per capita income, but the GDP was about $25500/y in
>> year 2000. CZ was about $13000/y or so.
>>
>> Pavel
>
> I guess you wanted to say $5000 USD/year/capita in Cz
> source:
> http://www.economist.com/countries/CzechRepublic/profile.cfm?folder=Profile%
> 2DEconomic%20Data
>
> Tomas

I took the "GDP purchasing power parity" shown in the CIA World Factbook
as GDP. The CIA figure for CZ is $12900. The Economist's GDP figure for
Denmark is, if I recall correctly, about $30K for the same year.

Being a total layman when it comes to economics, I can only guess that the
CIA figures indicate the amount of dollars that would buy as many goods in
some reference country, possibly the USA, as buys the GDP per capita in
CZ. It would then be a reasonable measure of standard of living if only
domestic market is taken into account, neglecting the disadvantageous
exchange rate when traveling to the West.

But that is only my unedicated guess. Someone surely will come up with
something more authoritative and possibly entirely different.

Pavel