Sex ratio in China

1 view
Message has been deleted

Francis Yu

Jul 6, 1993, 8:07:50 PM7/6/93
In article <21ct88$i...@pandora.sdsu.edu> dun...@sdsu.edu (mark dunster) writes:
>-Do you have any suggestions on what can be done? Allowing couples with
>a female baby the chance to have a second child? This would be fraught
>with potential problems: increased birthrate, couples "making sure" that
>their second child is male, etc. Or, give some other incentive for
>couples with female babies to keep their baby (but not too strong an
>incentive, otherwise there might be the reverse problem of male babies
>not surviving!)

We can start by asking our government to stop exporting christian
fundemantalist "family value" to China. Do not be supprised, our
politicians are capable of passing law to link normal trade relation
with China to its family planning practice.
Francis H. Yu
Oracle Corporation, 500 Oracle Parkway, Box 659504, Redwood Shores, CA 94065
Email: f...@shanghai.oracle.com Voice: (415) 506-3129 FAX: (415) 506-7103

v999...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

Jul 6, 1993, 11:06:00 PM7/6/93
In article <21ct88$i...@pandora.sdsu.edu>, dun...@sdsu.edu (mark dunster) writes...
>We hear that the ratio of males to females born in China has become
>higher; worldwide I believe the ratio is 6% in favour of males (106
>males born for every 100 females), whereas in China the number of
>males born (or should I say surviving) is 15% above females (or even
>higher in some areas). This is due of course to the mandate of only
>one child per couple, and a large number of couples "choosing" their
>one ofspring to be male (we can guess how they do this). Obviously,
>this inbalanced sex ratio could result in serious social problems in
>China in less than 20 years...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

20 years later, Chinese economy may be able to attract foreign women
to marry excessive Chinese males.

qqz...@unity.ncsu.edu

Jul 7, 1993, 10:02:09 AM7/7/93
In article <C9rxu...@acsu.buffalo.edu>, v999...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
|> In article <21ct88$i...@pandora.sdsu.edu>, dun...@sdsu.edu (mark dunster) writes...
|> >We hear that the ratio of males to females born in China has become
|> >higher; worldwide I believe the ratio is 6% in favour of males (106
|> >males born for every 100 females), whereas in China the number of
|> >males born (or should I say surviving) is 15% above females (or even
|> >higher in some areas). This is due of course to the mandate of only
|> >one child per couple, and a large number of couples "choosing" their
|> >one ofspring to be male (we can guess how they do this). Obviously,
|> >this inbalanced sex ratio could result in serious social problems in
|> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> >China in less than 20 years...
|> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The real problem should be the balance between over population and inbalanced
m/f ratio. Don't you think the Chinese gavornment has been trying hard on this?
p.s., I wish there could be another better resolution.

Bill Gardner

Jul 7, 1993, 6:01:43 PM7/7/93
In article 15...@oracle.us.oracle.com, f...@oracle.com (Francis Yu) writes:
>In article <21ct88$i...@pandora.sdsu.edu> dun...@sdsu.edu (mark dunster) writes:
>>-Do you have any suggestions on what can be done? Allowing couples with
>>a female baby the chance to have a second child? This would be fraught
>>with potential problems: increased birthrate, couples "making sure" that
>>their second child is male, etc. Or, give some other incentive for
>>couples with female babies to keep their baby (but not too strong an
>>incentive, otherwise there might be the reverse problem of male babies
>>not surviving!)
>
>We can start by asking our government to stop exporting christian
>fundemantalist "family value" to China. Do not be supprised, our
>politicians are capable of passing law to link normal trade relation
>with China to its family planning practice.

I fail to see your connection with the original poster's question about
imbalanced numbers of boy/girl babies. "Christian fundamentalists" are
usually anti-abortion, but that is not the focus here. Are you
thinking that it's a particular "family value" unique to "Christian
fundamentalists" that there be a rough balance of boy and girl babies
in a society? I think the Chinese govt. shares that concern, and they
may be "fundamentalist" in their own way, but they are hardly Christian
:-). I heard on a TV special 1-2 years ago that when ultrasound was
being freely used in Indian clinics, such a large proportion of male
babies were being aborted that the New Delhi government stepped in out
of concern for the population balance and banned the use of ultrasound
for that purpose.

On the other hand, maybe you are correct after all: If the U.S. will
stop "exporting Christian fundamentalism" maybe Chinese will convert
widely to Buddhism; then those excess boys will be content to "chu1
jia1" (is that the right term?) and forget about looking for mates! :-)

CX...@asuacad.bitnet

Jul 8, 1993, 11:36:21 PM7/8/93

The Chinese government could allow the Chinese citizens to have more than one c
hild if they increased the legal age that couples can marry and asking them to
space their children. The government has tried this policy but I don't know if
the spacing was enforced. The government could also try to standardize the be
nefits couples receive for choosing to have one child (or two children in the c
ountryside). The women in China also need to become valued citizens. Women ar
e only considered a "small happiness."
qquit