China questions US-style democracy 'owned by 1%, governed by 1%, enjoyed by 1%,'

ltlee1

Sep 27, 2021, 10:06:54 PM9/27/21
"The US is "owned by one percent [of its people], governed by the one percent and enjoyed by the one percent - is this democracy? The US turns a blind eye to the millions of Floyds who can't breathe, to the millions of innocent people killed by guns - is this democracy? The US suppresses others' right to normal development and denies their people a better life - is this democracy?" asked the Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday.

The Chinese authority raised questions over US-style democracy, echoing Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, who on Sunday criticized the US idea of holding the "democracy summit" as another example of its Cold War mentality.

"I fully agree with [Russian] Foreign Minister Lavrov's view that the so-called 'democracy summit' held by the US is, in essence, drawing ideological lines and engaging in bloc politics. This will only cause division and confrontation, which goes against the trend of the times and will not gain public support," Hua Chunying, spokesperson of the ministry said at a press conference.

In August, US President Joe Biden floated the idea of convening the "Leaders' Summit for Democracy" which is scheduled for December.

As we have said many times, the key to recognizing democracy is whether it meets the expectations, needs and aspirations of the people and whether it delivers genuine benefits to the people, said Hua, noting that democracy is judged by results, not slogans."

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202109/1235244.shtml

bmoore

Sep 27, 2021, 11:15:57 PM9/27/21
Hua Chunying sure does whine a lot. I'll bet he owns a nice apartment in Manhattan.

dosai prata

Sep 28, 2021, 5:13:08 AM9/28/21
It's a 'she', not 'he'.

Those democracy nations should solve their covid-19 problem first. None of them can do better than China which has the largest population.

The total number of Americans dead due to the pandemic has surpassed 700,000. That's out of a population of 350 millions. If it has a population of 1.4 billions like China, the total dead would be 2.8 millions!

That's democracy.

bmoore

Sep 28, 2021, 10:25:31 AM9/28/21
On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 2:13:08 AM UTC-7, dosai prata wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 3:15:57 AM UTC, bmoore wrote:
> > On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 7:06:54 PM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > "The US is "owned by one percent [of its people], governed by the one percent and enjoyed by the one percent - is this democracy? The US turns a blind eye to the millions of Floyds who can't breathe, to the millions of innocent people killed by guns - is this democracy? The US suppresses others' right to normal development and denies their people a better life - is this democracy?" asked the Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday.
> > >
> > > The Chinese authority raised questions over US-style democracy, echoing Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, who on Sunday criticized the US idea of holding the "democracy summit" as another example of its Cold War mentality.
> > >
> > > "I fully agree with [Russian] Foreign Minister Lavrov's view that the so-called 'democracy summit' held by the US is, in essence, drawing ideological lines and engaging in bloc politics. This will only cause division and confrontation, which goes against the trend of the times and will not gain public support," Hua Chunying, spokesperson of the ministry said at a press conference.
> > >
> > > In August, US President Joe Biden floated the idea of convening the "Leaders' Summit for Democracy" which is scheduled for December.
> > >
> > > As we have said many times, the key to recognizing democracy is whether it meets the expectations, needs and aspirations of the people and whether it delivers genuine benefits to the people, said Hua, noting that democracy is judged by results, not slogans."
> > >
> > > https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202109/1235244.shtml
> > Hua Chunying sure does whine a lot. I'll bet he owns a nice apartment in Manhattan.
> It's a 'she', not 'he'.

A hypocrite with a skirt is no different than a hypocrite with pants.

> Those democracy nations should solve their covid-19 problem first. None of them can do better than China which has the largest population.

> The total number of Americans dead due to the pandemic has surpassed 700,000. That's out of a population of 350 millions. If it has a population of 1.4 billions like China, the total dead would be 2.8 millions!

The Chinese government lies about everything. Don't you know that?

> That's democracy.

Rusty Wyse

Sep 28, 2021, 11:47:12 AM9/28/21
All governments lie about everything. Don't you know that?

> > That's democracy.

bmoore

Sep 28, 2021, 1:38:44 PM9/28/21
Darn, was hoping for a more intelligent answer, but got only Yale. Sigh.

Rusty Wyse

Sep 28, 2021, 2:02:46 PM9/28/21
Yeah, same bullshit...

bmoore

Sep 28, 2021, 2:23:18 PM9/28/21
It's OK. Not everyone is capable of intelligent discussion. Quantity over quality, right Yale?

ltlee1

Sep 29, 2021, 6:43:23 PM9/29/21
On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 2:06:54 AM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> "The US is "owned by one percent [of its people], governed by the one percent and enjoyed by the one percent - is this democracy? The US turns a blind eye to the millions of Floyds who can't breathe, to the millions of innocent people killed by guns - is this democracy?

Hua, a she for those who are not familiar with China, is right on the point on the US
turning a blind eye to the millions of Floyds.

The LA Times ran a piece two days ago lamenting the failure of the US Congress with the
George Flyod Act. Not that the act would do a lot by itself. But it is a show of congressional
concern and leadership.

"The reach of a federal bill would be limited in any event, because it could not compel any local
police agency to change its actions, except by offering or withholding federal funding. The true
value of the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, which passed the House last year and again
this year, or its Senate counterpart, would have been its expression of congressional leadership,
consensus and forward momentum on police reform.

And the biggest statement made by their failure is the lack of those very same things."
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-09-27/police-reform-failure-congress

The message cannot be clearer: The people's concern is not exactly that of the US Congress.

ltlee1

Sep 29, 2021, 6:47:40 PM9/29/21
Fake democracy has more than one sword of Damocles hanging over the society.
The Covid pandemic is just one. It killed almost 700,000 now. Racial conflict is
another sword waiting to drop.

bmoore

Sep 29, 2021, 10:09:38 PM9/29/21
You must feel a lot of guilt over abandoning China and moving to the US. You constantly bash the US and defend China. You're obsessed, man. Both countries have problems. But you parrot the CCP line like it's truth. All my Chinese friends know about CCP propaganda. Your obsession is not healthy.

ltlee1

Sep 30, 2021, 7:43:30 AM9/30/21
I am not the issue.
American democracy is the issue.
Please discuss issue, not me.

ltlee1

Sep 30, 2021, 7:52:20 AM9/30/21
On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 3:15:57 AM UTC, bmoore wrote:
Well, in case you don't like Chinese like Hua talking about American democracy. How about American
talking about democracy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXAeg9cd6po

Professor Zaino's (also a she) has a new book "American democracy in crisis." Her view is that American
democracy is currently in crisis for the one reason. The US political system is structurally flawed from the
beginning.

"Public disenchantment with and distrust of government is at an all-time high. In the face of widespread challenges―everything from record levels debt and the sky-high cost of education to gun violence, racial discrimination, an immigration crisis, overpriced pharmaceuticals, a pandemic, and much more―the government seems paralyzed and unable to act. In her book American Democracy in Crisis, Dr. Zaino explains why we are in this situation, why the government is unable to respond to key challenges, and what we can do about it.

Zaino argues that current political inaction is not the fault of elected officials but is instead the fault of the system in which they strive to function. Her book explores politics in the era of Noah Webster and argues that in order to understand modern political challenges, we must first study and understand the governmental system as it was established. Dr. Zaino will discuss the origins of the American political system and the impact on contemporary government response, as well as pinpointing solutions to enable future change. Her proposed solutions aspire to enable a more accountable, effective and responsive government.

Jeanne Sheehan Zaino is a Professor of Political Science and International Studies at Iona College. She has a strong pedigree in the political science field with a Master’s degree from the University of Connecticut and a Master’s and Doctorate from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Dr. Zaino has over 25 years experience in the field and has published several articles and books on various political topics. Beyond her work in print, she is a frequent contributor on Bloomberg TV and radio, as well as several other media outlets."

bmoore

Sep 30, 2021, 9:14:09 AM9/30/21
There's a difference between constructive analysis and propaganda.

bmoore

Sep 30, 2021, 9:16:43 AM9/30/21
But your obvious obsession is inherent in all of your discussion. Hence, it is not possible to separate the two.

ltlee1

Oct 2, 2021, 2:12:10 PM10/2/21
On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 10:43:23 PM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 2:06:54 AM UTC, ltlee1 wrote:
> > "The US is "owned by one percent [of its people], governed by the one percent and enjoyed by the one percent - is this democracy? The US turns a blind eye to the millions of Floyds who can't breathe, to the millions of innocent people killed by guns - is this democracy?
> Hua, a she for those who are not familiar with China, is right on the point on the US
> turning a blind eye to the millions of Floyds.
>
> The LA Times ran a piece two days ago lamenting the failure of the US Congress with the
> George Flyod Act. Not that the act would do a lot by itself. But it is a show of congressional
> concern and leadership.
>
> "The reach of a federal bill would be limited in any event, because it could not compel any local
> police agency to change its actions, except by offering or withholding federal funding. The true
> value of the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, which passed the House last year and again
> this year, or its Senate counterpart, would have been its expression of congressional leadership,
> consensus and forward momentum on police reform.
>
> And the biggest statement made by their failure is the lack of those very same things."
> https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-09-27/police-reform-failure-congress

Actually, the UN had called for US and others to end 'impunity' for police violence against
Black people months ago.

"Story at a glance
The global report released Monday by U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle
Bachelet offers a series of recommendations to work to end racial injustice, seek punishment
for human rights violations by police and hold institutions accountable for past wrongdoings.
“I am calling on all states to stop denying — and start dismantling — racism; to end impunity
and build trust; to listen to the voices of people of African descent; and to confront past
legacies and deliver redress,” Bachelet said.
The report encourages reparations to “make amends for centuries of violence and
discrimination.”"

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/560587-un-calls-for-us-others-to-end-impunity-for-police-violence-against