The Lord's Prayer in Irish

Matt Ragan

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

I recently came across this, anyone out there who speaks Gaeilge fluently,
can you read over this and give me a commentary, like what dialect, how
old is the dialect, or anything else. (like where do accent marks et all
go). I am not a fluent Gaeilge speaker yet ::grin::, and would like some
help please.

Paidir Dhia
-----------
A athair fil hi nimib,
Noemthar thainm;
Tod do flaithius;
Did do toil i talmain amail ata in nim;

Tabair dun indiu ar sasad lathi,
Ocus log dun ar fiachu amail logmaitne diar fhechemnaib;

Ocus nis lecca sind i n-amus n-dofulachtai,
Acht ron soer o cech ulc.

Amen rofir.
-----------

Na/r lagai/ Dia do la/mh,
B. Matthew Ragan
University of North Texas, Denton
"Emerald Isle, would that you could be the Crown jewel among the nations
of the earth." - I said that!

Ryan M Rafferty

Nov 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/23/96

This is almost undoubtedly in Old Irish. Notice "ocus" instead of
"agus", and the fact that slender vowels aren't always next to
slender vowels as in modern Irish.

Is mise,
Ryan

Matt Ragan (ra...@jove.acs.unt.edu) wrote:
: I recently came across this, anyone out there who speaks Gaeilge fluently,

: Amen rofir.
: -----------

Toby Joyce

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

Can't answer the question, except to remark a story told to me by an old
acquaintance ...

She and a friend were accosted after dark on a quiet street of Paris by
three unpleasant looking young men .. the two women were also young and
the men came right up in front of them, blocking their path.

The friend never paused, placing her hands on her hips, she looked the
lead thug straight in the eye and gave him the Lord's Prayer in Irish at
the top of her voice and in the manner of a furious harangue ....

Worked too, ... they dumbfounded oafs got out of the way, pronto...

Try it yourself ....

Toby

ale...@aol.com

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Matt Ragan <ra...@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:
>>>I recently came across this, anyone out there who speaks Gaeilge
fluently,
can you read over this and give me a commentary, like what dialect, how
old is the dialect, or anything else. (like where do accent marks et all
go). I am not a fluent Gaeilge speaker yet ::grin::, and would like some
help please.

Paidir Dhia
-----------
A athair fil hi nimib,
Noemthar thainm;
Tod do flaithius;
Did do toil i talmain amail ata in nim;

Tabair dun indiu ar sasad lathi,
Ocus log dun ar fiachu amail logmaitne diar fhechemnaib;

Ocus nis lecca sind i n-amus n-dofulachtai,
Acht ron soer o cech ulc.

Amen rofir. >>>
-----------

It's the Lord's Prayer in Middle Irish (medieval).

Beir bua agus beannacht,
AK

Niall Gallagher

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.96112...@jove.acs.unt.edu>, Matt
Ragan <ra...@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:

>I recently came across this, anyone out there who speaks Gaeilge fluently,
>can you read over this and give me a commentary, like what dialect, how
>old is the dialect, or anything else. (like where do accent marks et all
>go). I am not a fluent Gaeilge speaker yet ::grin::, and would like some
>help please.
>
> Paidir Dhia
> -----------
> A athair fil hi nimib,
> Noemthar thainm;
> Tod do flaithius;
> Did do toil i talmain amail ata in nim;
>
> Tabair dun indiu ar sasad lathi,
> Ocus log dun ar fiachu amail logmaitne diar fhechemnaib;
>
> Ocus nis lecca sind i n-amus n-dofulachtai,
> Acht ron soer o cech ulc.
>
> Amen rofir.
> -----------

This looks like Late Middle Irish (12-13c). Hard to comment on dialect as
this is a fairly standardised language. The Modern Irish equivalent is

Niall

--
Niall Gallagher

Panu H|glund TYS

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

Matt Ragan (ra...@jove.acs.unt.edu) wrote:
: I recently came across this, anyone out there who speaks Gaeilge fluently,
: can you read over this and give me a commentary, like what dialect, how
: old is the dialect, or anything else. (like where do accent marks et all
: go). I am not a fluent Gaeilge speaker yet ::grin::, and would like some
: help please.
I do not think how fluently I speak it, but I write and read it
fluently, and in my opinion the text you sent is not Modern Irish nor
Middle Irish, but Old Irish. Old Irish was the standard language in
about 700-900 A.D., when the regional differences between the different
Gaelic languages and dialects weren't yet reflected in writing.

you can be quite sure this sort of Irish is pretty unintelligible
even to fluent speakers of modern Irish. It is about as far away
from modern Irish as Beowulf is from modern English.

Paul McPhillips

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.96112...@jove.acs.unt.edu>,
Matt Ragan <ra...@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:

> I recently came across this, anyone out there who speaks Gaeilge fluently,
> can you read over this and give me a commentary, like what dialect, how
> old is the dialect, or anything else. (like where do accent marks et all
> go). I am not a fluent Gaeilge speaker yet ::grin::, and would like some
> help please.
>

> Paidir Dhia
> -----------
> A athair fil hi nimib,
> Noemthar thainm;
> Tod do flaithius;
> Did do toil i talmain amail ata in nim;
>
> Tabair dun indiu ar sasad lathi,
> Ocus log dun ar fiachu amail logmaitne diar fhechemnaib;
>
> Ocus nis lecca sind i n-amus n-dofulachtai,
> Acht ron soer o cech ulc.
>
> Amen rofir.
> -----------
>

> Na/r lagai/ Dia do la/mh,
> B. Matthew Ragan
> University of North Texas, Denton
> "Emerald Isle, would that you could be the Crown jewel among the nations
> of the earth." - I said that!

I don't know what dialect this is but I can tell you that it is not modern
Irish Gaeilge.

Matt Ragan

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

Okay, thanks be to the person's who responded to my first post on the
Lord's Prayer. Here's another. Again, the same questions, what dialect,
when, etc...etc..etc...or if it's bunk and not true Gaeilge at all (like
I'm suspecting).

Ar n-athair ata/ ar neamh go naofar d'ahmm go dtaga do ri/ocht go ndeantar
do thoil ar an talamh mar a dhe/antar ar neamh a/r n-ara/n laethu/il
tabhair du/mn mniu agus maith du/mn ar bhfiacha mar a maithmidne dar
bhfe/ichuna fe/in agus na/ lig sinn i gcathu/ ach saor sinn o/ olc

Peter Cassidy

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.961202...@jove.acs.unt.edu>,
Matt Ragan <ra...@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:

> Okay, thanks be to the person's who responded to my first post on the
> Lord's Prayer. Here's another. Again, the same questions, what dialect,
> when, etc...etc..etc...or if it's bunk and not true Gaeilge at all (like
> I'm suspecting).
>
> Ar n-athair ata/ ar neamh
go naofar d'ahmm
go dtaga do ri/ocht
go ndeantar do thoil ar an talamh mar a dhe/antar ar neamh
a/r n-ara/n laethu/il tabhair du/mn mniu
agus maith du/mn ar bhfiacha
mar a maithmidne dar bhfe/ichuna fe/in
agus na/ lig sinn i gcathu/
ach saor sinn o/ olc

-0-----0-

That's the "Our Father" in *modern* Irish Gaelic. I straightened out
the sentences.

> Na/r lagai/ Dia do la/mh,
> B. Matthew Ragan
> University of North Texas, Denton

d'ahnm should read "d'ainm"
du/mn mniu should be "du/inn inniu"
maith du/mn should be "maith du/inn"

Hope this helps,
Sla/n,

--
Pete
Peter Cassidy, pcas...@iol.ie | Si/ na Samhna,

Peter Cassidy

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

Jeanne Connell

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Except for maybe a few words spelled incorrectly....it's the Our
Father I learned. It's Gaeilge alright!

Jeanne Connell
sio...@voicenet.com

Matt Ragan

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

To Peter Cassidy and Jeanne Connell for their replies to my curiousity,
thanks.

Now I'll just have to memorize the thing.