Blues'n'trouble band - info sought

Craig Cockburn

Nov 11, 1993, 1:36:51 PM11/11/93
Hi,
Does anyone know anything about the Edinburgh(?) based
band Blues'n'trouble? I've heard they're quite good. Where do
they usually perform? What albums have they done? Which stores
usually carry their stuff??

thanks
Craig

Jack Campin

Nov 11, 1993, 3:56:45 PM11/11/93

I used to live opposite a pub they played in. They're about the last word
in downmarket metal groups. They cover up their complete incompetence by
playing so loudly the distortion means you can't hear anything except the
sound of your eardrums screaming for mercy. Since they played till 2am and
the pub only had singly-glazed windows I was not exactly a fan. (I finally
persuaded the pub to get soundproofing by complaining to the licensing
board). I think they still play at the same pub. It used to be one of
Edinburgh's main places for dealing in skag; you needed it to put up with
their music.

Said pub appeared to be owned by the same underworld character who ran a
massage parlour a few doors down. The whores used to go back and forth
between the two all day. The only time I was in it at the same time as
Blues 'n Trouble, one of the girls was daring a customer that if he was as
well hung as he made out he could stretch out his tadger on the bar and
she'd put a line of pound coins along it.

The place has strippers during the day. They'd probably be better value
than Blues 'n Trouble even if your name was Prince Edward.

--
-- Jack Campin -- Room 1.36, Department of Computing & Electrical Engineering,
Mountbatten Building, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AS

Chris Cooke

Nov 12, 1993, 7:04:28 AM11/12/93
In article <1993Nov11.2...@cee.hw.ac.uk> ja...@cee.hw.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:

> I used to live opposite a pub they played in. They're about the last word
> in downmarket metal groups. They cover up their complete incompetence by
> playing so loudly the distortion means you can't hear anything except the
> sound of your eardrums screaming for mercy.

You don't like them, then? :-)

The Blues'n'Trouble which I saw was a really enjoyable and skilled R'n'B
group, very musical. Don't know what albums they've done, except for "No
Minor Keys", which I can heartily recommend. Robert Cray appears on one
track as a guest guitarist. I assume the pub Jack mentions is Edinburgh's
Preservation Hall; used to be a great place until they installed a video
jukebox (ack, spit) at which point most of the customers, atmosphere and good
beer fled in disgust.

Jack Campin

Nov 12, 1993, 10:56:30 AM11/12/93

No, the pub was the Burke and Hare in Tollcross (it changed its name for
a while, presumably after either losing its licence or having somebody
murdered in it or both, but it's back much as before again). There are
three other pubs with similarities to it (strippers or skag dealing) within
projectile vomiting range, but it's the only one that specialized in bozo
rock acts. Two others it used to have regularly were Billy Jones and the
Lost Soul Band.

There was a thread on a Scottish newsgroup a few years ago (Hans Huttel's
idea, I think) on what ought to be in the Scottish Worst Pub Guide. Maybe
we could widen this out to an all-British event, with categories like:

- most degenerately alcoholic clientele (here I'd nominate the
Saracen Head or the Barras Bar in Glasgow)
- most psychopathic bouncers
- worst internal decor
- stickiest floors
- worst barmaid's hairdo or barman's toupee
- dirtiest seating
- highest rate of criminal activity on premises
- largest number of customers with florid STDs
- smelliest toilets
- most barbed wire or broken-glass-embedded concrete on exterior
- most obnoxious yuppies
- worst live acts (tie here between a pub I forget in Bow, East
London, with a neo-Nazi comedian, and the Huntingtower in the
east end of Glasgow, with a guy who sings hymns and rugby songs
alternately with his own organ accompaniment)

C R Pennell

Nov 22, 1993, 1:39:40 AM11/22/93
Jack Campin (ja...@cee.hw.ac.uk) wrote:

: There was a thread on a Scottish newsgroup a few years ago (Hans Huttel's

: idea, I think) on what ought to be in the Scottish Worst Pub Guide. Maybe
: we could widen this out to an all-British event, with categories like:

I nominate the FForde Grene in Harehills, Leeds 8 for the following
categories:

: - worst internal decor (ship's wheels and fake portholes)
: - stickiest floors
: - largest number of customers with florid STDs
: - most barbed wire or broken-glass-embedded concrete on exterior

and the prize for the silliest name.

Richard Pennell, History NUS

Message has been deleted