Import/Export Research

z_ab...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Dec 28, 1992, 1:05:03 AM12/28/92
Hello all,

We are doing research on various items that international countries
would be interested in exporting and importing. The items can consist of
anything from clothing to large machines. Of course, they must be a legal
product to enter and exit the different countries. These are some questions
that we are trying to find the answers to:

1.) How would we gather information concerning the legal regulations on
shipping to Britian?

2.) Who would an individual contact in your country about shipping
requirements?

3.) What kind of licences or paper work does a company need to enter
that foreign market place?

I really would appreciate any help concerning this matter. Thank you very
much for your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Ron Ables

Internet Addresses:
z_ab...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

or

sf...@jetson.uh.edu

C R Pennell

Dec 28, 1992, 8:41:16 AM12/28/92
z_ab...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu writes:
: Hello all,

Hi there, fellas
:
: We are doing research on various items that international countries

Well now a little problem here fellas - what's an international
country? is it the same as a national state, or what?

: would be interested in exporting and importing. The items can consist of

: anything from clothing to large machines. Of course, they must be a legal
"""" """""""

And a problem with our grammar eh boys? PLURAL SINGULAR

: product to enter and exit the different countries. These are some questions

: that we are trying to find the answers to:
:
: 1.) How would we gather information concerning the legal regulations on
: shipping to Britian?

Commerce section of your friendly local library?

: 2.) Who would an individual contact in your country about shipping
: requirements?

A shipping agent?
:
: 3.) What kind of licences or paper work does a company need to enter
: that foreign market place?

Your friendly local consular office?
:
: I really would appreciate any help concerning this matter. Thank you very
""""
Eh up: I thought you were plural boys. Royal we huh?

: much for your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Lazy so-and-sos

Richard Pennell, History NUS

: Sincerely,
:
:
: Ron Ables

Sorry, so-and-so

Craig Cockburn

Dec 30, 1992, 7:21:02 AM12/30/92

In article <1992Dec28....@ccsvax.sfasu.edu>, z_ab...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu writes...

>Hello all,
>
> We are doing research on various items that international countries
>would be interested in exporting and importing. The items can consist of
>anything from clothing to large machines. Of course, they must be a legal
>product to enter and exit the different countries. These are some questions
>that we are trying to find the answers to:

I'm considering setting up an Import/Export business in Edinburgh to
sell imports at sensible prices rather than the ridiculous rip off prices
the UK consumer typically gets charged.

i.e. UK price US equivalent Actual US
CDs #12 $18+ $10-$14
Levis #40+ $60+ $20-30
Petrol#2.50 $4 $1.40 (allowing for different gallon sizes)
etc etc etc, the list could go on very long indeed.
It's about 10% cheaper to buy malt whisky in the alchohol-consious US
that it is at the distillery in Scotland where it's made!

Hopefully once people start realising how much they're getting ripped off
in the UK then prices generally will come down and we might have a much
more consumer conscious society here.

Please drop me a line at:
Craig Cockburn
34 Baker Street
Reading
Berks
England
RG1 7XY

I'll arrange for mail forwarding from next week when I move to Edinburgh.

Craig Cockburn, Digital Equipment Co. Ltd, Reading, England. Suas
Internet: cock...@system.enet.dec.com leis
Voice: +[44] 734 580597 a'
Views here are mine, Gha\idhlig!
and are not necessarily those of Digital or any other organisation

Craig Cockburn

Dec 30, 1992, 7:30:32 AM12/30/92

In article <1992Dec28.1...@nuscc.nus.sg>, his...@nuscc.nus.sg (C R Pennell) writes...

>: would be interested in exporting and importing. The items can consist of
>: anything from clothing to large machines. Of course, they must be a legal
> """" """""""
> And a problem with our grammar eh boys? PLURAL SINGULAR

Bzzzzt. wrong. "They" is both a singular and plural pronoun and is going the
same way as "you" did centuries ago. From the concise OED, 9th edition:
they.... a third person singular indefinite pronoun meaning "he or she"
(anyone can come if they want to).

Shakespeare used this construction, it's hardly new.

Ivan A Derzhanski

Dec 31, 1992, 9:05:26 AM12/31/92
In article <1992Dec30.1...@rdg.dec.com> cock...@edieng.enet.dec.com (Craig Cockburn) writes:
>In article <1992Dec28.1...@nuscc.nus.sg>, his...@nuscc.nus.sg (C R Pennell) writes...
>>: [...] The items can consist of

>>: anything from clothing to large machines. Of course, they must be a legal
>> """" """"""
>> And a problem with our grammar eh boys? PLURAL SINGULAR
>
>Bzzzzt. wrong. "They" is both a singular and plural pronoun and is going the
>same way as "you" did centuries ago.

By no means. "They" is a plural pronoun until you start saying "they is".
It may have a singular referent, but it is still a plural pronoun.
Except that this has nothing to do with the issue at hand, as we'll
see in a second.

>From the concise OED, 9th edition:
>they.... a third person singular indefinite pronoun meaning "he or she"
>(anyone can come if they want to).

So are the items a he, or are they a she? Let's see.

"The items can consist of anything from clothing to large machines.

Of course, he must be a legal [...]"

"The items can consist of anything from clothing to large machines.

Of course, she must be a legal [...]"

"The items can consist of anything from clothing to large machines.

Of course, he or she must be a legal [...]"

--
`D'ye mind tellin me whit the two o ye are gaun oan aboot?' (The Glasgow
Ivan A Derzhanski (i...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk; i...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu) Gospel)