News from Scotland (12-Nov-90)

Craig Cockburn

Nov 12, 1990, 6:53:03 AM11/12/90

Here is the news from Scotland - a wee bit late, but it's been a busy week!

This has a Gaelic news bias this week - I got quite a few articles
at the London Gaelic society AGM at the weekend.

This was summarised from:

Scotland on Sunday, 4-Nov-90
Scottish TV & Grampian TV press release, 19-Sep-90
The Times, 10-Nov-90

The Paisley North and South by-elections will be held on 29-Nov-90.
Labour currently holds both seats, but the SNP are strongly favoured
to damage Labours majority and perhaps take the seats. Labour majorities
are 14,442 and 15,755. Two years ago, the SNP overcame a Labour majority
of over 19,000 to take Govan. Many suspect that the same will happen
again as the SNP traditionally do well in by-elections. A recent survey
showed that for every three Labour sympathisers, five were planning to
vote for the nationalists.

Grampian Television is expanding its Gaelic broadcasting as a result of
the #8m allocated for Gaelic broadcasting by Malcolm Rifkind earlier
in the year. 40 members of the crew are currently taking lessons in Gaelic
in Aberdeen. There may be a media centre set up in Stornoway, this would
allow Gaelic news service and television training there. A whole range
of Gaelic programmes are also being broadcast including Abair! and Beachd.
These will be broadcast throughout Scotland on ITV. Channel 4 in Scotland
will carrying some Gaelic programming, including 'De bhithes tu a deanamh?',
'Caite a bheil na h-eileanaich?' and the children's wildlife programme
'am fasach'.

Scottish TV will be commissioning Gaelic programmes in the coming year - here's
a list of some of them.

- a half hour documentary about the Vatersay Causeway
- a film about the Gaelic college on Skye, Sabhal Mor Ostaig
- a Gaelic news programme for the under 12's

Apparently there's a new peak time Gaelic parlour game being shown on
Scottish at 6:30pm on Wednesdays - 'de tha seo'. The recent cookery series
'Haggis Agus' was also transmitted in peak time and viewing figures show
it outrated the BBC's 'Reporting Scotland' !!

BBC Radio Scotland has lost 40% of its listeners in the last 18 months

There's an article on the New Club in Edinburgh. This is an elitist,
old boy type club on Princes St where company directors rub shoulders
with judges and stockbrokers etc. In the manner of many such clubs,
women are treated as second class citizens. Ladies are banned from the
main dining room at lunchtime and the main bar so that 'the men will not
be distracted'. In my brief association with the club back in '86,
I would back this up. The principle benefit of the establishment in my
opinion is a good view of the Castle fireworks during the festival. I was
rather amused when I heard the Commander who ran the club got his car stuck
in their elevator :-)
Next week, an inside report on the Masons :-) :-)

ASH sent me a list of pubs in Scotland with no smoking areas. (dated Jan 87).
There's only two on it! Worse than that, one of them (Maltman, Renfield St,
Glasgow) went all smoking over a year ago because many customers thought the
whole bar was non smoking and were staying away. Custom went up 60% after they
switched back. Scotland's only bar with a smoke free area that I know of
is the Mason's arms, Loanhead, Midlothian.

The Royal Bank continues to grow in the US. It recently took over 22 branches
of the Bank of New England in Rhode Island and is considering purchasing
the 18 branch Bank Worcester in Massachusetts.

The author of this message gets the main story in the Spectrum Monitor's
watching brief on P31 of SoS about the campaign for more pubs to have
smoke free areas (full article to follow)

Craig

/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|Craig Cockburn |
|Digital Equipment Co. Ltd. | ARPAnet: cock...@marvin.enet.dec.com |
|REO2-G/H9 | EASYnet: marvin::cockburn |
|Reading, UK | UUCP:..!decwrl!marvin.enet.dec.com!cockburn|
|Disclaimer: Views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily |
| reflect those of my employer. |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Sanderson_Gomke

Nov 12, 1990, 5:30:57 PM11/12/90
In article <1990Nov1...@craigy.enet.dec.com> cock...@marvin.enet.dec.com writes:
>--

>The Paisley North and South by-elections will be held on 29-Nov-90.
>Labour currently holds both seats, but the SNP are strongly favoured
>to damage Labours majority and perhaps take the seats......

Thanks for the information, Craig. There is a tremenduous interest here in
the San Francisco Bay area with regards to the SNP. Could you or anyone else
out there please answer the following questions?

1. We have been told the SNP has a flag and there are various emblems but we
can't find out for certain. Some references have been made to a black
lion. One person we know said he thought the banner the SNP uses was just
like the <Rampant Lion> but black where the <Rampant Lion> was red. Can
anyone tell us what is being used?

2. Is there anyplace we can send money? Is the SNP interested in American
money or do they consider it <interference> by outsiders?

3. Are there any sources for SNP news, information, publications, etc.? We
have a copy of a tape called "Songs of the SNP" but we can't find any
originals and a lot of people would like to buy it or other music that
is available.

4. Is there any way to contact the SNP directly? An address would be most
appreciated.

Thanks to any who could help. Either broadcast or mail responses would be
most welcome. If you don't like the SNP for any reason, please let me
know of your objections and their basis, and I will relay the information
to my friends. It is our impression that the SNP is a political group in
Scotland whose primary focus is an independant Scotland, separate from
England. Please tell us if this is wrong, but please don't reply to this
if all you're interested in is <Pommie Bashing>. We're interested in
IRA/NI type arguments but only if they limit the unreasoned hatred in
the reply to an arbitary 17%. If you thought that last sentence was
something other than a joke, please don't reply at all.

Thanks in advance.

Doug.

* So long, and thanks for all the fish. *

Craig Cockburn

Nov 13, 1990, 9:37:52 AM11/13/90
Hi,
I posted this in .celtic earlier today and forgot
to add this newsgroup to the reply distribution....

Article 572 of soc.culture.celtic:
Newsgroups: soc.culture.celtic
From: cock...@craigy.enet.dec.com (Craig Cockburn)
Subject: Re: News from Scotland (12-Nov-90)

|>>--

|>>The Paisley North and South by-elections will be held on 29-Nov-90.
|>>Labour currently holds both seats, but the SNP are strongly favoured

|>>to damage Labours majority and perhaps take the seats......
|>
|>Thanks for the information, Craig. There is a tremenduous interest here in
|>the San Francisco Bay area with regards to the SNP. Could you or anyone else
|>out there please answer the following questions?

Tremendous interest? Is there a lot of expat Scots out there??

|>1. We have been told the SNP has a flag and there are various emblems but we
|> can't find out for certain. Some references have been made to a black
|> lion. One person we know said he thought the banner the SNP uses was
just
|> like the <Rampant Lion> but black where the <Rampant Lion> was red. Can
|> anyone tell us what is being used?

The only one I've seen is a black symbol on a yellow background. The symbol
looks a bit like this:

\ /
\ /
/ \
/ \
| |
\___/

|>2. Is there anyplace we can send money? Is the SNP interested in American
|> money or do they consider it <interference> by outsiders?

I don't know. I think you should contact them direct about this.

|>3. Are there any sources for SNP news, information, publications, etc.? We
|> have a copy of a tape called "Songs of the SNP" but we can't find any
|> originals and a lot of people would like to buy it or other music that
|> is available.

The SNP have a catalogue of various materials you can buy from them. I
would guess you could get this album by writing to them for details. You
can get everything from Alba/Sco bumper stickers to posters celebrating
the Govan victory two years ago !

|>4. Is there any way to contact the SNP directly? An address would be most
|> appreciated.

Yes, here you go.

Scottish National Party
6 North Charlotte Street
Edinburgh
Scotland
EH2 4JH Tel: (031) 226 3661

|>Thanks to any who could help. Either broadcast or mail responses would be
|>most welcome. If you don't like the SNP for any reason, please let me
|>know of your objections and their basis, and I will relay the information
|>to my friends. It is our impression that the SNP is a political group in
|>Scotland whose primary focus is an independant Scotland, separate from
|>England. Please tell us if this is wrong, but please don't reply to this
|>if all you're interested in is <Pommie Bashing>. We're interested in
|>IRA/NI type arguments but only if they limit the unreasoned hatred in
|>the reply to an arbitary 17%. If you thought that last sentence was
|>something other than a joke, please don't reply at all.

I don't mind you talking about the SNP at all, I'm a member myself!

The SNP's aims are: (taken from the back of my membership card)

a) Self-Government for Scotland - that is the restoration of Scottish
National Sovereignty by the establishment of a democratic Scottish
Parliament within the Commonwealth, freely elected by the Scottish
people, whose authority will be limited only by such agreements as may
be freely entered into by it or with other nations or states or international
organisations for the purpose of furthering international co-operation
and world peace.

b) the furtherance of all Scottish interests

hope you find this useful!

Craig.