Smoking in pubs news as reported by Scotland on Sunday

Craig Cockburn

Nov 12, 1990, 6:49:29 AM11/12/90

From Scotland on Sunday 4-Nov-90, P31, Monitor's Watching brief

Main story: Public bar on smoking by Sally Kinnes

Pubs might not actively encourage smoking but an unwritten rule has always
said that if you reach for the Malboro no one is going to object. After all,
a quiet smoke and a pint is surely what you go to the pub for.

But the anti-smoking lobby, which has already cleared the air of smoke in
trains, planes, cinemas and restaurants, reckons its time pubs caught up.
Craig Cockburn, a non-smoking Scot who lives in Reading, feels so strongly
about it he is conducting a one-man campaign. "I don't want to see a total
ban, but if smokers have a right to smoke, non-smokers have a right to
clean air. What I'd like to see is pubs with more than one room
dedicating one to non-smoking."

Cockburn wrote to several pubs and the major breweries, including half a
dozen in Scotland. Replies didn't exactly flood in. He only got two,
both from Young's Brewery in London. [I've since had one from Whitbread -CC].
None of the Scottish companies replied.

Cockburn's campaign is getting plenty of support. When Channel 4's consumer
programme Checkout featured the campaign in its Check Mate slot last month,
it attracted its biggest mailbag ever. Every letter was in support of
Cockburn's efforts. More evidence of support comes from a survey carried
out in 1988 by the Consumers' Association which found that reducing smoking
in pubs was the single change consumers would like to see [most] in pubs.

So much for the theory. In practice, in Glasgow at least, things work out
differently. The Maltman in Renfield Street pursued a no-smoking policy
for a year and a half in one of its three bars. Hardly anyone came. The
manager, Norman MacInnes, said: "They thought all the bars were no-smoking
and went elsewhere." So MacInnes reversed the no-smoking policy last year.
With a nice sense of occasion he chose November 5 as lighting-up night.
Within a month business was up by 60%.

/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|Craig Cockburn |
|Digital Equipment Co. Ltd. | ARPAnet: cock...@marvin.enet.dec.com |
|REO2-G/H9 | EASYnet: marvin::cockburn |
|Reading, UK | UUCP:..!decwrl!marvin.enet.dec.com!cockburn|
|Disclaimer: Views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily |
| reflect those of my employer. |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Tim Oldham

Nov 14, 1990, 7:09:06 AM11/14/90
In article <1990Nov1...@craigy.enet.dec.com> cock...@marvin.enet.dec.com writes:
>The Maltman in Renfield Street pursued a no-smoking policy
>for a year and a half in one of its three bars. Hardly anyone came.
>So MacInnes reversed the no-smoking policy last year.
>Within a month business was up by 60%.

Hah! Market forces win over health fascist minority bastard no-hoper killjoy
loners!

I suppose you're the sort of person who'd refuse to bring back the
duty-frees after a trip abroad. Roll on 1992, uniform taxes and cheap French
cigarettes! A blue haze in every pub in the land.

100 Gauloise, please, and a big box of matches. Oh, and mine's a pint.

Tim. Hit tab.
--
Tim Oldham, BT Applied Systems. t...@its.bt.co.uk or ...uunet!ukc!its!tjo
Well, you'd have a corporate siege mentality, too.

Chris Allen

Nov 14, 1990, 12:38:19 PM11/14/90
In article <7%*^KF^@uzi-9mm.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> t...@its.bt.co.uk (Tim Oldham) writes:
]Roll on 1992, uniform taxes and cheap French cigarettes!
]
]100 Gauloise, please, and a big box of matches. Oh, and mine's a pint.
] ^^^^^

litre.

--
ch...@tharr.uucp ..!ukc!axion!tharr!chris
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are those of my employer..

<-- tharr free public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

Guy Middleton

Nov 17, 1990, 1:09:52 PM11/17/90
In article <14...@tharr.UUCP> ch...@tharr.UUCP (Chris Allen) writes:
> In article <7%*^KF^@uzi-9mm.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> t...@its.bt.co.uk (Tim Oldham) writes:
> ]100 Gauloise, please, and a big box of matches. Oh, and mine's a pint.
> ] ^^^^^
>
> litre.

Ha. If metricfication progresses in Britain as it did in Canada, you will be
able to buy flour in kilos, coffee in kilos, cloth in metres, milk in litres,
and petrol in litres.

And beer in pints.

Matthew Moore

Nov 19, 1990, 11:12:30 AM11/19/90
>> ]100 Gauloise, please, and a big box of matches. Oh, and mine's a pint.
>> ] ^^^^^
>>
>> litre.
>
>Ha. If metricfication progresses in Britain as it did in Canada, you will be
>able to buy flour in kilos, coffee in kilos, cloth in metres, milk in litres,
>and petrol in litres.
>
>And beer in pints.

Isnt that because there has been a large hardware investment which
ties publicans and punters to the pint, namely quite a lot of pint
glasses? Anyone got any idea how many there are in th UK?

(Of course, 'pint' would just be a name for 0.5683 litres, wouldnt
it?)