breton music

herve

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
salam alecum,

I have the pleasure to inform the englis speakers that there is a site in
good amerikan called http://bretonmusic.com

pour les ceusses qui sont plus à l'aise en anglais qu'en (pouah !) français,
un nouveau site (voir ci dessus) leur tend les bras.
(y rien à vendre)

hervé

Gildas Hamel

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
herve wrote:

> good amerikan called http://bretonmusic.com

I noted the site and put it on my page
but I must register my disagreement with
one of the expressions you use in your intro
page. You speak of "ethnocide:" there has been
no ethnocide of Breton people, that I know of
(I'm aware of the Nantes massacres during
the Revolution). Let's not hop on the victimation train.
--Gildas Hamel

Daisy.Lambert

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99

Gildas Hamel a écrit dans le message <37978007...@cats.ucsc.edu>...

Please, do not confound 'ethnocide' and 'genocide' !
There was indeed an ethnocide, since Breton culture
(and thus Breton people) could have just disappear
under the pressure of French people.

Besides, in terms of massacres, world wars were maybe
even worst than Nantes tragedy.

Faithfully yours.

Rodolphe

Gildas Hamel

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
In article <7n97au$4tv$1...@wanadoo.fr>, "Daisy.Lambert"
<Daisy....@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Please, do not confound 'ethnocide' and 'genocide' !
> There was indeed an ethnocide, since Breton culture
> (and thus Breton people) could have just disappear
> under the pressure of French people.

"French people" or French institutions or even institutions
wider than French gov, etc., such as the Catholic Church?
"ethnocide", as a word, is not easily distinguishable from genocide.
Ethnos in Greek doesn't mean culture, it means people, nation...
"-cide" comes from Latin "caedere", to kill.
Further, and a separate point, if the Breton culture disappears,
you may be right to say that Breton people could just disappear,
but what does that mean? Physically, people continue,
cross-generationally...
--Gweltaz Hamel

jean lastennet

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
I have no modern dictionnary on hand. But I used to understand
ethnocide as the volontary destruction of a culture. It does not in
my mind necessarily entail the slaying of individuals (or even
violence). It destroys only what binds them as a people and may aim to
their assimilation to another people. It is then different from
genocide.

I agree not to "hop on the victimation train". Breton "ethnocide" has
been to a great extent "ethno(sui)cide". It is this suicide trend that
must be "reversed" ... and may hopefully be:-).

jean

Gildas Hamel <gwe...@cats.ucsc.edu> wrote:
... there has been

Adrian Tupper

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99

This will only happen if the Breton people let it.
Here in Scotland there is a great - perhaps too great - a deisre to
hold on to "culture". If, however, you wish your children to be
brought up in a certain environment then it is for the people now to
ensure that such an environment remains.

Adrian Tupper
McClassify's Munro Bagging on the Web
http://users.zetnet.co.uk/adriantupper/mindex.htm

Argouarch

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
In article <37980fe3...@news.club-internet.fr>,
aste...@club-internet.fr (jean lastennet) wrote:

> I have no modern dictionnary on hand. But I used to understand
> ethnocide as the volontary destruction of a culture. It does not in
> my mind necessarily entail the slaying of individuals (or even
> violence). It destroys only what binds them as a people and may aim to
> their assimilation to another people. It is then different from
> genocide.

Even so, I mean the volontary plan to destroy the breton culture is not
obvious because a big part of it was destroyed by normal evolutive
processes such as urbanisation and industrialisation. The breton culture
being principally a rural culture. A lot of these traditional rural
cultures are being destroyed or abandonned in various part of Europe or
even the world right now and in nations that are not minority but
majority.

On other hand we can talk about 'linguicide', because there has been a
concerted, coordinated, planified, legislated, substained campaign,
started as early as 1539, to eradictate the breton language. Noboby can
denies this, it is well documented.
bretonmusic.com does infact quote the french Minister of national
Education Alfed De Monzie (1925) "For the unity of France, the breton
language must disappear". There are more insanities like that from Jules
Ferry and up in time to Francois Ier.

I don't want to restart the debate on if language is part of the culture
or not. I believe it is, (and therefore indirectly there is an ethnocide
component to the disapearance of breton culture).

I agree that language is not usually essential to the survival of a
culture or a nation. But then, when everything else goes down the tube,
the breton language becomes a salvation rope.

The last symbol of a nation on the way to oblivion.

If the language, the culture and the political state are all missing, then
the only thing left for us are the graves of our ancestors to knee over
and cry.

Philippe