Sakrat Janovich

oys...@nettkjenning.com

Aug 25, 2006, 11:26:37 AM8/25/06
Can anyone offer some advice on what title to choose, if I want to read
something by Sakrat Janovich?

Jan

SCB Moderator

Aug 25, 2006, 11:54:28 AM8/25/06

I don't know where you live and what languages you are fluent in.

One book that is available in Belarusian (Cyrillic) and English
(facing pages for the section that include his work) is "MIniatures"
(1984, The Anglo-Byelorussian Society, London; no ISBN number in the
book). These are the "miniature prose essays" that he has specialized
in (at least at one point in his career; I only know a little about
him).

In that book, there is introductory (in English) background info about
him and his work by Shirin Akiner as well.

The book used to be available from the Belarusians in Great Britain
and Ireland, but I cannot find information about their bookstore on
their current Web site. There is a discussion forum link on the first
link, so you may want to post your question there as well.

http://www.belarusians.co.uk/index.html

http://www.skaryna.org/

An example of his work can be found online at (and a search of the
document lists 55 references to his name within it):

http://kamunikat.net.iig.pl/pdf/annus/annus2004.pdf

As far as I know, Janovich (b. 1936) is based in the Bialystok area of
Poland, so his works may be most accessible there.

I'd be interested in other works by him as well.

Enjoy.

-- Peter

t.s...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2006, 10:36:16 PM8/27/06
There are some works of SJ on http://txt.knihi.com/janovic/ and about
the writer on http://autary.iig.pl/janowicz/index.htm. Mostly these are
belarusian and polish works. I am not aware of any english translations
besides already mentioned.
Tatyana