Lithuanian bakery in Chicago? (bacon buns)

Mr. A

Feb 8, 2004, 9:58:54 AM2/8/04
We're flying into Chicago (Midway) at the end of this week and would love to
find a Lithuanian bakery that sells bacon buns and a good rye bread.

I've heard that the Marquette park bakeries and restaurants are no longer in
business (Nida, Neringa et al). What's the next best bet for finding these
goodies?

Vaidas Simaitis

Feb 8, 2004, 3:18:06 PM2/8/04
Racine Bakery
6216 W. Archer Avenue
Chicago, IL 60638
773 581-8500
www.racinebakery.com

It's about a mile northwest of Midway.
They have yummy bacon buns, and all kinds of other Lithuanian goodies.
We always load up there when flying in/out of Midway.

Skanaus! Vaidas

Uno Hu

Feb 8, 2004, 7:10:30 PM2/8/04
"Mr. A" <rocknosp...@techie.com> wrote in message news:<c05isn$12vdib$1...@ID-73954.news.uni-berlin.de>...

Your Momma.

Uno Hu

Vidas

Feb 8, 2004, 10:41:12 PM2/8/04
Vaidas Simaitis <vai...@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<2QwVb.2802$PY....@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com>...

> Racine Bakery
> 6216 W. Archer Avenue
> Chicago, IL 60638
> 773 581-8500
> www.racinebakery.com
>
> It's about a mile northwest of Midway.
> They have yummy bacon buns, and all kinds of other Lithuanian goodies.
> We always load up there when flying in/out of Midway.
>
> Skanaus! Vaidas

Racine is first rate. Excellent bread, bacon buns - and the poppy seed
roll is addictive - in a good way...

Vidas

Anita

Feb 8, 2004, 11:28:34 PM2/8/04
Vaidas Simaitis <vai...@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<2QwVb.2802$PY....@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com>...

Are these "bacon buns" like Latvian piiraagi? Baked, crescent shaped
breads, made from yeast dough, usually about 3-bites large, but always
with a finely diced ham, bacon and onion filling?

Vaidas Simaitis

Feb 9, 2004, 10:16:12 AM2/9/04

Sounds similar but they're round, about 2" in diameter.

treasure

Feb 9, 2004, 2:53:17 PM2/9/04
You might also want to try Baltic Bakery at 4627 S. Hermitage and Bruno's
Bakery on Lituanica Ave. (approx. 3200 block).

The Marquette Park food scene is still alive and well though diminished.
While, Ramune, Talman, Nida, etc. are gone there are two new deli's, both on
Lithuanian Plaza Court (6900 S.). Antano Kampas on Washtenaw Ave.across
from the Lithuanian (Gimimo) parish and Lithuanian Plaza Deli took over the
old Baltic Bakery site (approx. 2646? W.) Both are run by Trec^iabangiai
(new immigrants). The food is excellent but a little more "Russian"
oriented in their import section, unlike the Old Line "Polish" oriented
delis like Neringa, Talman, or Racine Bakery. So it is still worth coming
to the Old Capitol of the Diapora. Seklycia on 71st is the only restaurant
still operating. Gintaras and Plaza Pub are about the last two Lithuanian
bars still left, so the old Lithuanian Pub Crawl is gone. Not like the days
when you had a dozen to 2 dozen Lithuanian bars in the length of a half
mile.

There are some new delis/restaurants that have opened in the suburbs like
Eurus deli, Mabenka, etc.
Healthy Food is still there in Bridgeport.

Get a copy of Amerikos Lietuvis when you stop at any of these places for
more ideas and addresses. It is a 28 page free weekly of which 20 pages are
Ads for Lithuanian shops and businesses.

If you see a paper called Langas, this is put out by Russian "business" men.
The articles are mostly translations from Russian to Lithuanian. The
businesses that advertise are also mostly Russian and located on the Far
North Side and N/NW suburbs.

Also, close to the Airport is Video Nuoma in the 5600
block of Harlem Ave. (7200 W), east side of the street.
Great new place for Lithuanian gifts, books, chocolates,
Lith. ice cream, etc. They even have Lithuanian fortune telling cards!

While in Chicago make sure you get a Made in Lithuania Potato Grating
Machine. Can't make kugelis and cepelinai without one!

Have a fun trip.

-- Kovas
In the faces of men and women I see God.
~Walt Whitman in Song of Myself~
0====(::::::::::::::::>
Spirit Tomes and Treasures
"Books and Earthly Goods to Nurture the Spirit"
*Visit http://www.spirit-tomes.com and www.allspirit-treasures.com
for metaphysical supplies and information.*

Mr. A

Feb 9, 2004, 8:40:02 PM2/9/04
Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions! I'm originally from the Chicago
area -- my dad grew up on Lithuanica, and moved to the north suburbs in the
early 1930s. My siblings and I "rediscovered" the Lithuanian south side
shortly after my dad passed away. I believe that any of the relatives I had
in the old neighborhood have either moved on or passed away. I now live in
Maine, which is a beautiful place but lacks the ethnic diversity of Chicago.

I'll make it a point to look for Amerikos Lietuvis as a current resource of
things Lithuanian in Chicago.

"treasure" <trea...@netnitco.net> wrote in message

your bread is the best itak it to florida

Aug 16, 2015, 6:35:37 PM8/16/15