Fake Conference Fake Conference Fake Conference from IEEE again !!!

Hiro Kawagucchi

Dec 6, 2009, 10:45:08 AM12/6/09
This year the academic hackers invaded with their fake papers to the
8th Annual IEEE Conference on Sensors. This conference was without
review and accepted 3-4 fake papers
The IEEE was informed this terrible incident by the organisers
See: IEEE SENSORS 2009 Conference, 25-28 October 2009
http://www.ieee-sensors2009.org/

So, one more fake conference passed in the history of fake
conferences.
It seems that (mainly from IEEE) a fake conference every 3-4 weeks is
a frequent phainomenon
and maybe the fake papers in a fake conference does not make sense.
The IEEE should take measures against these fake conference
organisers.
fake conferences that scam money out of academics that want to enlarge
their CV artificially with bogus publications in bogus
Yesterday, I received an email apparently from a new blog
http://fakeconference.blogspot.com/

I couldn't believe this email (see below) but now after the new fake
IEEE conference (I wonder how many fake conferences of the IEEE we
know now), I absolutely accept this message:

This was the email from http://fakeconference.blogspot.com/

It's that time of year again. Suddenly, your inbox is filled with
letters requesting that you submit a paper to the "The 14th World
Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics: WMSCI
2010" or "WESSEX INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY" or "The International Multi-
Conference on Engineering and Technological Innovation: IMETI 2009",
or the "IEEE Conference on Computational Complexity (that published
many garbage papers last year)

Never heard of any of this because you are a philosopher getting the
emails, too? Don't worry, serious computer scientists don't usually go
to the conferences, although people do easily get impressed by all the
names and submit a paper.

Strangely enough, all papers are accepted, as long as you have paid
your registration fee. You don't actually have to come and give the
paper, although the family will surely love following you to Orlando.
The "Acceptance Policy" is spelled out in pseudo-scientific detail on
the conference site. I paraphrase: We accept everything, because there
might happen to be a good paper in there, and because a reviewer might
plagiarize a paper they reject.

This conference accepted a paper back in 2005 that had been generated
by a computer programmed by some MIT students, SCIgen. A nice blog
discussion of that and the conference is found here. There was quite a
row about this back in 2005, as one must question how scientific a
conference is that accepts random (albeit well-worded) garbage and is
willing to publish it. It is said that more than 1500 papers are
accepted (at $ a pop that isn't chicken feed), and the "majority" are
actually presented. That is not what a real conference is about, where
you meet and discuss with peers working in similar areas.

How many of these thousands of papers ever get cited? That is perhaps
an indication of how good the papers really are. I just searched the
ACM Digital Library. There are 19 (nineteen) citations of the WMSCI
conference. There have been 12 such conferences taken place.

That's not too many, so I went through the references for all 19
papers. Eleven of these papers were written by at least one of the
authors of a WMSCI-published paper, so over half are self-citations.
One paper is Peter G. Neumann's note of the acceptance of the fake
paper in his "Risks to the Public" column in Software Engineering
Notes.

As an aside, there's a fascinating paper on bibliometrics for
discovering low-quality conferences published in 2007: Measuring
conference quality by mining program committee characteristics.

Glancing down the lineup of invited speakers can cause quite some
hilarity: Karl H. Müller, is given at CCCT2008 as being with the
"University of Ljubljana (Austria)". I don't think that Austria has
acutally annexed Slovenia, and a search of their web site turns up Mr.
Müller as having given a talk therea few years back, but he is not
listed as a teacher. He lists himself in his CV on the pages of his
institute as teaching at any number of Austrian schools, but
strangely, they don't list him.

Dr. Subhas C Misra is listed for this conference as being a visiting
Scientist at Harvard, for another conference as being a visiting
scientist at State University of New York. At another conference he is
listed as the "NSERCPDF Scientist, Harvard University", but I find no
mention of this program outside of his CV. Harvard includes CVs of its
visiting scientists on its home page, there is no mention of Misra.

Who are these guys?

It seems that anyone can make up a fancy institute name and make
themselves director, declare themselves teachers at University X (and
may actually have taught there a semester or so before being put out
on their ear), make up papers and fancy conferences and rush around
finding themselves soooo important - but this has nothing to do with
science! They can even pretend to be from some institution. Most are
so large, no one can be sure that they are not actually from that
place.

What can be done to stop this pseudo-science? Or do we just ignore
them, but watch young people and unsuspecting colleagues pour
departmental travel money into attending these conferences to present
their papers? We do get a publication point out of it.....

In this blog, you will find many alerts for junk conferences i.e.
conferences that you must not go. Conferences (like the IEEE
Conference on Computational Complexity or the Conferences of Wessex
Institute of Technology or the Nagib Callaos Conferences) that pollute
our mailbox with much Spam every day.
A very good effort http://iaria-highsci.blogspot.com gave us the idea
to creat our own blog.
Not to mention of course, the hundred fake conferences of IARIA,
HIGHSCI, IASTED that pollute our academic world with junk or "almost"
junk "conferences.
But, we will have all the academic winter 2009-2010 with many posts
informing you this unacceptable situation where the first teacher was
the IEEE and the IEEE Sponsored Events of IARIA, IIISCI (Nagib
Callaos), WESSEX Institute of Technology and the other fruits of the
academic basket!

Thanks

Have a nice winter!

Similar Blogs