Croatian Sam Sarin Has A Message: "Work Hard"

bmarja...@iprimus.ca

May 22, 2002, 9:43:12 PM5/22/02
news.com.au

Hard yards reap rich reward
By KIM WHEATLEY

SOUTH Australia's second-richest man has a simple philosophy: "Work hard".

Croatian immigrant Sam Sarin started from humble beginnings when he moved to
Australia 44 years ago, picking fruit and cutting sugar cane.

These days, Mr Sarin, 65, is the undisputed king of the Port Lincoln
tuna-farming industry.

This was under-pinned yesterday by his entry into the exclusive BRW Rich 200
club.

But the nation's 81st richest person, with an estimated fortune of $250
million, prefers to avoid the limelight.

"I'm what they call a quiet achiever – you don't want to make too much noise,"
he says.

"I did all sorts of work in the beginning . . . I worked hard."

While hardly a household name or rated among the nation's business elite, Mr
Sarin's reputation for success is well known in Port Lincoln.

Owning Australia's largest share of the lucrative blue fin tuna quota helped
him branch into property development and the overseas money market.

"The fishing industry is where I really started but I diversified, which has
ended up with very good rewards," he said.

SA this year doubled its representation on the rich list.

The state's entries are still led by Mt Gambier-based businessman Allan Scott
at No. 77.

Mr Scott's wealth is estimated at $266 million, up from $200 million last
year, despite share prices falling after an employee was charged with
defrauding his trucking business.

Mining magnate Robert de Crespigny returns to the list at No. 132 with an
estimated $137 million after orchestrating a bidding duel by two of the
world's biggest gold company's for the Normandy Mining takeover.

Australia's biggest wool producer, Hugh Maclachlan, also makes the list at No.
132, his wealth put at $137 million.

Nationally, Kerry Packer has lost almost $1 million a day but remains
Australia's richest man, worth $5.9 billion.

Mr Packer, whose PBL was hit badly by son James's misadventure into the
collapsed telco One.Tel, owns Australia's fastest-falling fortune. It has
shrunk by $300 million.

The fastest-growing fortune belongs to Frank Lowy, whose shopping centre
empire, Westfield, is worth $700 million more than at this time last year.

The nation's 10th and newest billionaire is Kerry Stokes, whose Perth-based
tractor and equipment business, Westrac, more than made up for the recent
Seven Network share-price fall. The most glamorous debutant is Nicole Kidman,
whose $112 million makes her one of just 17 women among the 200.

Iron-ore heiress Gina Rinehart remains the richest woman in her own right,
with $280 million.

Her royalties kept rolling in while she unsuccessfully pursued a decade-long
campaign to prove her mining mogul father was stressed to death by his wife,
Rose Porteous.

The combined wealth of the nation's richest 200 people has increased by 7 per
cent, from $60 billion to almost $65 billion.

NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email ab...@newsone.net

Serge

May 24, 2002, 8:18:03 AM5/24/02

<bmarja...@iprimus.ca> wrote in message

> news.com.au
>
> Hard yards reap rich reward
> By KIM WHEATLEY
>
> SOUTH Australia's second-richest man has a simple philosophy: "Work hard".
>
> Croatian immigrant Sam Sarin started from humble beginnings when he moved
> Australia 44 years ago, picking fruit and cutting sugar cane.

Of course on the other side of the ledger we have the Croatian immigrant
Ivan Milat.

Hunter

May 24, 2002, 4:31:35 PM5/24/02
Stooge wrote:

I thought you were just a troll stooge? looks like you get pretty cut over your
precious serbia, war criminals of the last decade and all hmmm???? Luckily 90%
of Serbians (like the Croats) were just normal people and not fuckheads like you
and your hero was locked up. Sad day for you was it?

Serge

May 25, 2002, 5:45:33 AM5/25/02

"Hunter" <hun...@vianet.net.au> wrote in message

Me a Serb?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do me a favour shit-for-brains. I'm 100% Aryan not a fucking Slavic peasant.
Croatian or Serbian.

Serge.

Hunter

May 25, 2002, 3:24:46 PM5/25/02
Serge wrote:

> Me a Serb?
>
> BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Do me a favour shit-for-brains. I'm 100% Aryan not a fucking Slavic peasant.
> Croatian or Serbian.
>
> Serge.

True colours shining now stooge.......... "Slavic peasant" ??? And you call
other people racist... I've known what a shitbag troll you were from the start,
but thanks for making it obvious to everyone else...