Part-Asian Shannyn Sossamon in "The Rules of Attraction"

wamb...@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2002, 8:15:57 AM10/16/02
Actress Shannyn Sossamon, who stars in the movie "The Rules of
Attraction" has a mother who is half-Filipino half-Hawaiian. Her
father is white.

Nathanial kai-po

Oct 16, 2002, 6:32:42 PM10/16/02

I thought she was Jewish. Sossamon sounds like a jewish name to
me.

Mango0960

Oct 16, 2002, 11:58:57 PM10/16/02
maybe her father is!

le...@nospam.window.com

Oct 17, 2002, 1:53:14 AM10/17/02

Mango0960 <mang...@aol.com> wrote:
: maybe her father is!

:> I thought she was Jewish. Sossamon sounds like a jewish name to
:>me.

I don't think so.

I recently heard her on the Howard Stern Show last week. She was on with
her co-star, James Van der Beek (i.e., "Dawson"), who was suffering from
a hangover for some reason. She basically has every ethnicity on earth
in her, to some degree. I think she listed about 6 or 7 of them, when
Howard asked her what she was. I don't think she mentioned being Jewish
or of Israeli descent in that list. In any case, my impression was that
she didn't particularly identify with any one group, since she referred
to herself as a "mutt."

She mentioned she was in _A Knight's Tale_ and _40 Days and 40 Nights_
but after doing those two movies, she got sick of acting and went back to
working in a record store for a few months. Then, I guess she decided to

http://www.usenet.com

wamb...@yahoo.com

Oct 17, 2002, 7:18:51 AM10/17/02
le...@nospam.window.com wrote in message news:<3dae...@post.usenet.com>...
(snip)

> Howard asked her what she was. I don't think she mentioned being Jewish
> or of Israeli descent in that list. In any case, my impression was that
> she didn't particularly identify with any one group, since she referred
> to herself as a "mutt."

Typical part-Asian celebrity. Once they become famous, they side-step
their Asian heritage instead of embracing and actively promoting it.

Don Kirkman

Oct 17, 2002, 4:54:41 PM10/17/02
It seems to me I heard somewhere that wamb...@yahoo.com wrote in
article <ac4010ce.02101...@posting.google.com>:

One Google is worth a thousand assumptions.

[Begin]
»BIO STATS
Real Name: Shannon Marie-Kahololani Sossamon
Birthday: October 3,1978
Age: 24 years old
Sign: Libra
Height: 5'8
Birth Place: Kapiolani Hospital, Honolulu, Hawaii
Mother: Sherry Sossamon
Father: Todd Lindberg
Stepfather: Randy Goldstein
Siblings: Young sister, Jennifer Lindberg (21, also an actress)
HighSchool: Galena High in Reno
Attended: Dance Unlimited
Hobbies: Dancing, DJ-ing, taking pictures, writing, music.
[End]
http://shannynonline.cjb.net/

Sossamon is her mother's name (so much for side-stepping her Asian
heritage), and has no resemblance to any Hebrew word I'm familiar with.
It sounds very Filipino, or perhaps Thai, much more than any European
language.
--
Don
don...@covad.net

Peter L

Oct 17, 2002, 7:34:27 PM10/17/02
Both her father and step father's names are jewish, not that it means
anything except to those who see jews around every corner.

"Don Kirkman" <spamb...@covad.net> wrote in message

le...@nospam.window.com

Oct 18, 2002, 12:23:45 AM10/18/02

Peter L <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Both her father and step father's names are jewish, not that it means

: anything except to those who see jews around every corner.

Her father's surname, "Lindberg," is Swedish, not Jewish, from what I
surmise.

For example, Charles Lindbergh, the transatlantic pilot, was of Swedish
descent.

There are a number of Swedish names (and other non-Jewish names) that end
in "berg" (like Edberg, as in Stefan Edberg, the tennis player), so
assuming that a surname ending in "berg" is necessarily Jewish is
oftentimes incorrect.

Besides, I think Swedish was one of the many ethnicities Shannyn
mentioned to Howard when she was asked about her heritage.

Peter L

Oct 18, 2002, 12:56:14 PM10/18/02
Sossamon sounds like a jewish name? Nathan you need to get out more.

"Nathanial kai-po" <kail...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Don Kirkman

Oct 18, 2002, 5:41:08 PM10/18/02
It seems to me I heard somewhere that Peter L wrote in article
<aonhe4$nqg02$1...@ID-110472.news.dfncis.de>:

>Both her father and step father's names are jewish, not that it means
>anything except to those who see jews around every corner.

Lindberg is Scandinavian; Swedish IIRC. But you're right that trying to
trace ethnicity or religion by names is meaningless except to those who
start with the assumption that some ethnicities/religions are
better/worse than others and that conspiracies are all around us and
monsters are hiding under our beds. :-)

By way of example, the pioneer aviator Charles Lindbergh (variant
spelling) was born to a Swedish immigrant father. He at least once
spoke favorably of Christianity; in his later years he became
politically controversial and seemed to have anti-Semitic tendencies. I
guess this at least tells us he was not Jewish.

>"Don Kirkman" <spamb...@covad.net> wrote in message
>> It seems to me I heard somewhere that wamb...@yahoo.com wrote in
>> article <ac4010ce.02101...@posting.google.com>:

>> >Typical part-Asian celebrity. Once they become famous, they side-step

Joy

Oct 19, 2002, 1:40:58 PM10/19/02
<le...@nospam.window.com> wrote:

> She mentioned she was in _A Knight's Tale_ and _40
> Days and 40 Nights_ but after doing those two movies,
> she got sick of acting and went back to working in a record
> store for a few months.

Good move.

> Then, I guess she decided to go back to the movies and
> do _The Rules of Attraction_.

Darn!

She's a pretty face but seriously lacking in the acting department. And I
mean *seriously*. But then, if all she's doing is teen fluff/crap, she'll
have a long and wonderful career, I'm sure.

-joy

TransporterRules

Oct 20, 2002, 10:12:52 AM10/20/02
>Sossamon sounds like a jewish name? Nathan you need to get out more.
>
>"Nathanial kai-po"
>> I thought she was Jewish. Sossamon sounds like a jewish name to
>> me.

Sossamon sounds similar to the Jewish name Bensimon. Is Bensimon Jewish or
Lebanese? Anyways- that's interesting if she is part Asian because I would
never have guessed.

Don Kirkman

Oct 20, 2002, 5:07:23 PM10/20/02
It seems to me I heard somewhere that TransporterRules wrote in article
<20021020101252...@mb-mp.aol.com>:

Ben-Simon is Jewish "Son of Simon." But "samon" and "simon" aren't the
same thing, nor are "sos" and "ben".
--
Don
don...@covad.net

HK

Oct 20, 2002, 5:18:32 PM10/20/02
Sossamon sounds like Pokemon. That makes sense then. Thanks.

"Don Kirkman" <spamb...@covad.net> wrote in message

Don Kirkman

Oct 21, 2002, 5:00:03 PM10/21/02
It seems to me I heard somewhere that HK wrote in article
<I4Fs9.14472$gB.62...@twister.nyc.rr.com>:

>Sossamon sounds like Pokemon. That makes sense then. Thanks.

The flaw there is that 'pokemon' is not a surname but an abbreviated
Japanese name for a game: "poketo monsutaa' [pocket monster].

>"Don Kirkman" <spamb...@covad.net> wrote in message
>> It seems to me I heard somewhere that TransporterRules wrote in article
>> <20021020101252...@mb-mp.aol.com>:

>> >Sossamon sounds similar to the Jewish name Bensimon. Is Bensimon Jewish

scorpi...@yahoo.com

Feb 26, 2015, 2:39:15 PM2/26/15
I see jews around every corner. You know why? Because there are jews around every corner.