Google Gruppi non supporta più i nuovi post o le nuove iscrizioni Usenet. I contenuti storici continuano a essere visibili.

How come there are no Amish Asian Americans ?

463 visualizzazioni
Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

walter lee

da leggere,
9 set 1998, 03:00:0009/09/98
genera...@my-dejanews.com posts from the Southern Maryland Internet:

> I am Amish and I am perplexed by the lack of Asians in our Religion, often
> while typing on my computer and surfing the Net,

Du kanst spechen Deutsche?

which order to you belong to?

there are two types of Amish people
=============================
Old Order Amish,
who hold services in German and adhere to traditional
customs (e.g., wearing plain clothing and shunning
modern education and technology),
http://www.holycrosslivonia.org/amish/origin.htm

and the

Conservative Amish,
who hold services in English as
well as German and have adopted some innovations.
What innovations are allowed by Conservative Amish?

===========================
Amish are a smaller Germanic sect of Mennonites (European Protestant
Christian)
see http://www.mennonites.org/name.html

you might want to goto the

THE AMISH CONNECTION!
========================
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/mennocon.html#amish

amish are suppose to reject hi tech but some do use laptops see :-P

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/3167/amish.html

well you can go to canada to see some Asian Mennonites...
but you gotta skip the german and speak chinese .....

Abbotsford Chinese Christian Church (Abbotsford, B.C.)
32068 King Rd., Abbotsford, BC, V2T 5Z5. (604) 850-9023. Pastor Yiu Tong Chan
served in 1995 as a congregational leader. In 1995 there were 35 members.
The congregation had been affiliated with the British Columbia Conference of
Mennonite Brethren Churches (1989-), the Canadian Conference of Mennonite
Brethren Churches and the General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.
The language of worship is Chinese.

The congregation began services in 1989 and formally organized in 1990. In
1995 the congregation used the old sanctuary of the King Road Mennonite
Brethren
Church when that congregation built a new sanctuary. Yiu Tong and Elaine Chan
are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated
from outreach by British Columbia Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches
Board of Church Extension.

===

if only life was that simple! :-)

genera...@my-dejanews.com

da leggere,
10 set 1998, 03:00:0010/09/98
I am Amish and I am perplexed by the lack of Asians in our Religion, often
while typing on my computer and surfing the Net,

woo...@hotmail.com

da leggere,
10 set 1998, 03:00:0010/09/98
In article <35F74B1E...@erols.com>,

dry...@erols.com wrote:
> genera...@my-dejanews.com posts from the Southern Maryland Internet:
>
> > I am Amish and I am perplexed by the lack of Asians in our Religion, often
> > while typing on my computer and surfing the Net,

**** It's the CHEESE FACTOR. I think Willam Shatner played a conflicted
Asian-Amish American on Playhouse 90.....

"I m-m-m-must make the cheese!!"

"B-b-b-b-but cannot eat the cheese!! Lac-tose i-i-i-intolerant!"

"B-but must make cheese! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!"

There's your answer! Now git outta here ya troll; I've laughed before, and
I'll laugh again! :P :) :) :) :)

--Woodyee

ha...@my-dejanews.com

da leggere,
10 set 1998, 03:00:0010/09/98
In article <6t75g8$sb8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

genera...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> I am Amish and I am perplexed by the lack of Asians in our Religion, often
> while typing on my computer and surfing the Net,

An Amish with a computer eh.
You must be one of those Black Amish.
Idiot.

--
That was, without a doubt, my opinion.

Kane Sab

da leggere,
10 set 1998, 03:00:0010/09/98
This is a very funny question. I'm curious as to whether one has to
be white in order to be Amish. is it one of those things where religion
and race are the same? Are there any Amish people who are not white?

Novey

da leggere,
10 set 1998, 03:00:0010/09/98
In article <6t75g8$sb8$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, generalrecall@my-
dejanews.com says...

> I am Amish and I am perplexed by the lack of Asians in our Religion, often
> while typing on my computer and surfing the Net,

Huh? I thought Amish people don't believe in the usage of
electricity....what liberated branch do you belong to?

Peter L

da leggere,
10 set 1998, 03:00:0010/09/98

The electricity using branch, obviously.

dsg5

da leggere,
12 set 1998, 03:00:0012/09/98
I dunno . . . seems to me that the Amish don't make many converts, period.
By the time a non-Amish kid is old enough to decide if he wants to become
one, he's probably too accustomed to modern convienences to really want to .
. .
--dsg
------------------------------

Kane Sab wrote in message
<2380-35F...@newsd-101.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Lyn...@iname.com

da leggere,
12 set 1998, 03:00:0012/09/98
On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:57:03 -0400 (EDT), pete...@webtv.net (Kane Sab) wrote:

> This is a very funny question. I'm curious as to whether one has to
>be white in order to be Amish. is it one of those things where religion
>and race are the same? Are there any Amish people who are not white?

I think the poster was just joking, just a troll. I have read some books on the
Amish and s/he boasts about doing things that Amish aren't allowed to do as
they are too worldly, 'typing on my computer and surfing the Net'. The Amish
originate from Switzerland/France area, some of them moved to USA/Canada
starting in the 1700s due to religious persecution in Europe. I don't think
they prostelize(sp?) (convert others), thus the lack of non-white Amish.

RebelBapt

da leggere,
12 set 1998, 03:00:0012/09/98
I do remember a Chinese Mennonite Church in Vancouver.

About as close to Amish as Asians will get short of growing beards and
travelling by horse-carriage.

Rebel [><]

Kane Sab

da leggere,
12 set 1998, 03:00:0012/09/98
Who are the mennonites? Are they an Amish sect?

walter lee

da leggere,
13 set 1998, 03:00:0013/09/98
a Kane Sab
Kane Sab wrote:

> Who are the mennonites? Are they an Amish sect?

Christanity is made up of
Catholics (Roman/Anglican/Orthodox)
and Protestants ( Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, etc......)

Mennonites(AnaBaptists) are a subset of the Protestant christian sect.
mennonites website that occurs when there was a arguement of
religious matters within the Baptist sect. They were initially labelled
Ana-Baptist
before changing their name to Mennonites.

Amishs are a subset of the Mennonites sect
-----------------------
see http://www.mennonites.org/name.html

mennonites donot believe in violence
they will not fight in wars
I have heard that Amish people
will not even defend themselves in
personal conflicts.

By the accounts I have heard,
Amish people are hardworking, passive, and peaceful.

if you break the rules in an amish community
you may be "shunned" ( ostracized ) by everyone in that community.

I believe Amish people are exempt from fighting during times of war
(but not military service) in the USA.

The amish sect is a subset of the mennonite christian sect.

The amish people are part of a Germanic mennonite christian sect.

============

who hold services in German and adhere to traditional
customs (e.g., wearing plain clothing and shunning

modern education and technology), many live in Lancaster,Pa.
they wear black cloths, they dont use automobiles (they
use horses/carriages). Many are farmers. There are lots
of amish jokes on the internet - people make fun of them
all the time.
http://www.holycrosslivonia.org/amish/origin.htm
or if you want to be edu-tained
go to blockbuster
and watch "The Witness" (a Harrison Ford movie)

and the

Conservative Amish,

who hold services in English as
well as German and have adopted some innovations.

( there are several Amish websites- but I was unable to
gather information on the conservative amish sect)

mennonites have sent christian missionaries worldwide.

0 nuovi messaggi