Arizona Cardinals teammate slams Kyler Murray's contract extension: 'Created a monster'

Leroy N. Soetoro

Jan 16, 2023, 12:54:54 AM1/16/23
Remember when the Arizona Cardinals removed the "homework" clause from
quarterback Kyler Murray's contract after the clause was reported by the
media?

The team should have kept it according to some comments from a teammate of
Murray's.

An anonymous teammate of Murray's recently told Michael Silver, writing
for Bally Sports, that "it was like they created a monster," after the
quarterback signed his five-year, $230.5 million extension with Arizona
over the summer.

The teammate, called a "Cardinals veteran" in Silver's story, wasn't done.

Silver wrote in the story: "Once paid, the veteran said, Murray felt less
compulsion to study his game plan or to fulfill the expectations of the
franchise QB position than he had in the past, and the Cardinals’ collapse
felt predictable."

Reaction:Arizona Cardinals' Michael Bidwill under scrutiny for Kyler
Murray coach 'input' comment

Murray's deal made him one of the highest paid quarterbacks, and players,
in the NFL.

It was not without controversy, however.

The contract included an addendum that required at least four hours per
week of studying the team's opponent each week of the season, according to
reports.

The clause was slammed throughout the league before, and after, it was
removed from his contract.

"After seeing the distraction it created, we removed the addendum from the
contract," a Cardinals statement said. "It was clearly perceived in ways
that were never intended. Our confidence in Kyler Murray is as high as
it’s ever been and nothing demonstrates our belief in his ability to lead
this team more than the commitment reflected in this contract."

Murray responded to the clause after the team removed it.

"To think that I can accomplish everything that I've accomplished in my
career, and not be a student of the game and not have that passion and not
take this serious is disrespectful," Murray told the media. "And it's
almost a joke. To me, I'm flattered... that you all think that at my size,
I can go out there and not prepare for the game and not take it serious.
It's disrespectful, I feel like, to my peers, to all the great athletes
and great players that are in this league. This game is too hard to play
the position that I play in this league. It's too hard."

He continued: "I'm not 6-7, 230 (pounds). I don't throw the ball 85 yards.
I'm already behind the eight ball. And I can't afford to take any
shortcuts, no pun intended. But those things you can't accomplish if you
don't take the game serious, if you don't prepare the right way. And, you
know, it's like I said, it's laughable."

He wasn't done.

"I refuse to let my work ethic, my preparation be questioned. I've put an
incomprehensible amount of time and blood, sweat, tears and work into what
I do," Murray said. "To those of you out there that believe that I'd be
standing here today in front of you all without having a work ethic ...
I'm honored that you think that, but it doesn't exist. It's not possible."

What's next?:Kyler Murray's NFL career will be defined by his 'reset' and
how he responds to new coach

Murray recently had surgery for a torn ACL and its unsure whether he will
be back for the start of the Cardinals' 2023 season.

Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill recently said that the QB would have
"input" in the team's search for a new coach, a comment that came under
scrutiny.

Just like Murray apparently is under for his work ethic once again.

Somers:Making Kyler Murray contractually obligated to do homework is a
terrible idea

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.