Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach

M.McGill

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach

Monday, 7 February, 4:20 p.m.
P E B B L E B E A C H , C A L I F . (AP)

WITH AN astonishing comeback to win the Pebble Beach
National Pro-Am, Tiger Woods on Monday moved a step
closer to Byron Nelson's "untouchable" record of 11 straight
victories.

Seven strokes behind with seven holes to play, Woods
electrified an otherwise gray afternoon on the Monterey
Peninsula by holing a 97-yard wedge for eagle on the 15th
and making birdies on two of the last three holes for his
sixth straight PGA Tour victory.

Woods became the first player since Ben Hogan in 1948 to
win six straight tour events and took an unbelievable
leap closer to Nelson's record, which was set in 1945.

It was a command performance, filled with spectacular
shots that have defined Woods' young but spectacular
career. It ended with Woods watching from the 18th green
as Matt Gogel missed a 10-foot birdie putt on the 18th
that would have forced a playoff.

Woods closed with an 8-under 64, the lowest final round
by a champion in the 53-year history of Pebble Beach. He
finished at 15-under 273 and earned $720,000.

"I figured if I birdied the last four holes, I might have a
chance," Woods said.

Gogel, the 28-year-old tour rookie, made birdie on five of
the first seven holes to seemingly turn the final round
into a rout.

Instead, he turned in a shocking collapse - a 40 on the
back nine - that will only be forgotten because of a
miraculous comeback by a player who never ceases to
amaze.

So shaken by his failed birdie putt, Gogel missed a
3-footer for par on the 18th and wound up in a tie for
second at 13-under 275 with Vijay Singh. Gogel closed
with a 71, while Singh had a 70.

"I said it yesterday, he's going to be there at the end," said
Notah Begay, an ex-teammate at Stanford who finished
three behind. "It adds to the whole mystique of Tiger."

It was the 17th career PGA Tour victory for the
24-year-old Woods. Among active players not on the Senior
Tour, only Ben Crenshaw (19) and Greg Norman (18) have
won more.

What Woods has proved during his PGA Tour winning
streak - even as far back as his three straight U.S. Amateur
titles - is that he can never be counted out until he's no
longer on the golf course.

Woods was five strokes behind to start the final round,
which was pushed back to Monday because of high winds
and rain earlier in the tournament. Despite the relatively
serene conditions, he managed only three birdies through
the first 11 holes and was running out of time.

Not only was he seven strokes behind, five other players
were in front of him.

Woods needed some help, and Gogel obliged. Five under
after his first seven holes, Gogel came unglued after his
first bogey of the day - on No. 11 - and handled the
spotlight like a deer on the highway.

But this day will be remembered more for the spectacular
play by Woods.

The guy who folded his arms and stared blankly across the
ocean for most of his round suddenly unleashed one of
those famous fist pumps when his wedge on the 15th
landed four feet to the right of the hole with just enough
spin to slide across the grain and into the cup.

One hole later, he missed another eagle when his wedge
landed an inch in front of the cup on its second bounce,
setting up a 2-foot birdie.

He missed the green to the right on the par-3 17th, not far
from where Tom Watson chipped in to win the U.S. Open
in 1982. He nearly matched Watson's heroic shot, the ball
turning away at the last turn.

Woods came up short on the par-5 18th, hit a nice flop shot
to 3 feet, and then had to wait about 30 minutes to see if
Gogel could catch him.

He only had two decent birdie chances, and none of those
came very close.

Next up for Woods is the Buick Invitational this week in
San Diego, where he is the defending champion. Should
he continue to win, he would surpass Nelson at the
tournament where the Woods legend took root - the
Masters.

For Gogel, it was another lesson to be learned from
playing in the final group on the final day. He was there
two weeks ago in the Bob Hope Classic, came out
conservatively, and was quickly passed.

This time, he started with three straight birdies, and
moved to 5-under for the round with a 25-foot birdie from
just off the green at No. 7.

The 10th hole is the last one that runs south down the
Pacific coast, ending a terrorizing six-hole stretch where
the tournament is more often lost than won. When Gogel
walked off No. 10 with a par, he had a five-stroke lead over
Singh, and Woods was nowhere to be found.

That changed as quickly as clouds replaced sunshine at
the start of the round.

Gogel missed a 5-foot par putt on the 11th, then failed to
get up and down out of the bunker on the par-3 11th as
the pressure of trying to close out his first PGA Tour on
one of the most storied courses in the world began to take
its toll.

If that wasn't enough, the roars that resounded from a
half-mile away were enough to shake anybody.

Woods hit a 5-iron on the par-3 12th that stopped 8 feet
from the cup for birdie, but he missed a chance for
another one when his 6-foot birdie putt on the 14th slid
by.

Then the fun really began.

Only Woods can produce such dramatics these days. The
wedge he holed for eagle, and the next one that bounced
in front of the cup at No. 16, were reminiscent of the kind
of shots only seen during the Ryder Cup - only they came
from one player.

Woods clenched his fist after his final birdie, as if he knew
that would be enough. He came into the press room to
watch Gogel play the final two holes, then headed out to
the 18th green to pick up another trophy.

DIVOTS: The tournament was sponsored by AT&T. ... Ken
Griffey Jr. had quite a week, even though he didn't come
close to winning the Pro-Am. He spent the first four days
playing with Woods, and the final round with Jack
Nicklaus. ... The last player to lead after the third round
at Pebble Beach and hold his lead over the final 18 holes
was Brett Ogle in 1993. Then again, there have been only
four 72-hole events since then. ... Even though he missed
the cut, Nicklaus played the final round because his
Pro-Am team qualified as the top 25. He was paired with
his son, Steve. ... Woods was paired with Jim Furyk,
putting him in the same group with ex-caddie, Fluff
Cowan.

white

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
yep, thatz unkil sam surez bez a goodz gofer.

M.McGill <em...@domain.com> wrote in article
<email-08020...@cx766739-a.fed1.sdca.home.com>...

Ward Cleaver

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
You're preaching to the wrong group here McGrilla....
I really don't think that one soul here cares that some nigger has figured
out a new way (to niggers that is,) to get money without working for
it.........

"white" <te...@test.com> wrote in message

B9 Predator

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 08:57:21 GMT, em...@domain.com (M.McGill) wrote:

>Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach

**Everyone loves a winner, but tomorrow some nigger will still dismiss him as a
"high yellow Uncle Tom".

McGill, you waste your time defending a prideless, fickle and ungrateful race.

Spectre

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
You couldn't do. So there.

white

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
Shit Ward, that last flame was deadly. Let me know if you found the ghost
dagger unleashed by spectre

Spectre <spe...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<38A05168...@pacbell.net>...

JJ Lipari

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
Congratulations to Tiger! Hope he wins many more.
Still, I just cant watch golf...it puts me to sleep. Worlds most boring
sport...except possibly soccer.
JJ
M.McGill <em...@domain.com> wrote in message

Cal

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00

"M.McGill" wrote:

> Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach
>
> Monday, 7 February, 4:20 p.m.
> P E B B L E B E A C H , C A L I F . (AP)
>
> WITH AN astonishing comeback to win the Pebble Beach
> National Pro-Am, Tiger Woods on Monday moved a step
> closer to Byron Nelson's "untouchable" record of 11 straight
> victories.

> <snip>

Actually I feel sort of sorry for Eldridge (pussy) Wood. He is 1/4
nigger, 1/8 white, 1/4 Indian and 3/8 Oriental. He must have a time
when he walks by a buffet table with ribs, chitlins, watermelon, rice,
fortune cookies and roast beef. Never knows which of his many genes are
gonna jump out. Be hell being his cook. Cal

H H

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
JJ Lipari <j...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote in message

> Congratulations to Tiger! Hope he wins many more.
> Still, I just cant watch golf...it puts me to sleep. Worlds most boring
> sport...except possibly soccer.
> JJ

Of course if Tigger looked like Jackie Chan ol' JJ wouldn't be saying shit,
not with niggawifey looking over his shoulder.

H H

Harry Hitler

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00

Cal <sp...@siv.com> wrote in message news:38A0A880...@siv.com...

> "M.McGill" wrote:
> >
> > Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach
> >
> > Monday, 7 February, 4:20 p.m.
> > P E B B L E B E A C H , C A L I F . (AP)
> >
> > WITH AN astonishing comeback to win the Pebble Beach
> > National Pro-Am, Tiger Woods on Monday moved a step
> > closer to Byron Nelson's "untouchable" record of 11 straight
> > victories.
> > <snip>
>
> Actually I feel sort of sorry for Eldridge (pussy) Wood. He is 1/4
> nigger, 1/8 white, 1/4 Indian and 3/8 Oriental. He must have a time
> when he walks by a buffet table with ribs, chitlins, watermelon, rice,
> fortune cookies and roast beef. Never knows which of his many genes are
> gonna jump out. Be hell being his cook. Cal

I thought it was funny when Jesse Jackson and all his other hate groups at
first tried to raise Wood up on a pedistal and he then told them "I'm not
Afro-American". He burst their bubble quickly.

JJ Lipari

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
Awww, pissed off cause Tiger beat a field of the world's best white golfers
and won $720,000 and the white players didnt? If he had lost you'd be
dancing on the rooftops shouting about it. Eat your heart out! Everyone
hates a sore loser!
JJ
H H <hh...@norml.net> wrote in message

> JJ Lipari <j...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote in message
> > Congratulations to Tiger! Hope he wins many more.
> > Still, I just cant watch golf...it puts me to sleep. Worlds most boring
> > sport...except possibly soccer.
> > JJ

Ruff-Cut

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00

ClockWFT <cloc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach
> >
> >Monday, 7 February, 4:20 p.m.
> >P E B B L E B E A C H , C A L I F . (AP)
> >
> >WITH AN astonishing comeback to win the Pebble Beach
> >National Pro-Am, Tiger Woods on Monday moved a step
> >closer to Byron Nelson's "untouchable" record of 11 straight
> >victories.
> >
> The Thai-American does it again, great.

Good work Clock. I'm glad somebody got it right. I suppose if I had
dark enough skin,there would be people dying to ride my shirt tails
too!

Ruff-Cut

ClockWFT

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00

>Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach
>
>Monday, 7 February, 4:20 p.m.
>P E B B L E B E A C H , C A L I F . (AP)
>
>WITH AN astonishing comeback to win the Pebble Beach
>National Pro-Am, Tiger Woods on Monday moved a step
>closer to Byron Nelson's "untouchable" record of 11 straight
>victories.

M.McCoy

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
In article <sa1hqrl...@corp.supernews.com>, "Ruff-Cut"
<shar...@asapnet.net> wrote:

> ClockWFT <cloc...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > >Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach
> > >
> > >Monday, 7 February, 4:20 p.m.
> > >P E B B L E B E A C H , C A L I F . (AP)
> > >
> > >WITH AN astonishing comeback to win the Pebble Beach
> > >National Pro-Am, Tiger Woods on Monday moved a step
> > >closer to Byron Nelson's "untouchable" record of 11 straight
> > >victories.
> > >

> > The Thai-American does it again, great.
> >

> Good work Clock. I'm glad somebody got it right. I suppose if I had
> dark enough skin,there would be people dying to ride my shirt tails
> too!
>
> Ruff-Cut

Not without a black father or mother.

RexBeavers

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
Yes, but he hates Negro Folk too.
He swears he's an Asian boy, go figure......

mye...@my-deja.com

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:28:12 -0800, Dick the Spic-
<poin...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>hey hillbilly...[..] We like the challenge of a course that changes
>where you must down shift and upshift hundreds of times in order
>to stay in contention, in other words...real racing.
>Dick the Spic-

This mud seems to believe a NASCAR has no gearbox.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Dick Da Spic

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
mye...@my-deja.com wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:28:12 -0800, Dick the Spic-
> <poin...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> >hey hillbilly...[..] We like the challenge of a course that changes
> >where you must down shift and upshift hundreds of times in order
> >to stay in contention, in other words...real racing.
> >Dick the Spic-
>
> This mud seems to believe a NASCAR has no gearbox.
No, I said that you will find youself shifting and really driving
around a Grand Prix course, for instance, than you would in NASCAR. In
Nascar
you only shift from 3 combinations about 6 or 7 times a lap during a
race. And then all they do is go around and around and around and around
and around and around and around and around and around....

Believe me, I used to race Karts and SCCA, and Nascar drivers are
considered to be nothing more than 18 wheeler operators within real
racing circles. They are a joke. Sort of like you.
Dick the Spic-

Great Celtic Satan

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
Ok little Dick head, what about:

Samoa, CA
Walkens Glen, NY
Riverside(defunct)
Ontario, CA(defunct)
And all of the other road tracks that the Craftsman trucks, and Bush cars
run, so up your you little dickes spic

My new record against you, 2 wins, 0 losses

BURN IN HELL
http://cruzin.to/kkk
Dick Da Spic <Mo...@Python.net> wrote in message

mye...@my-deja.com

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:16:29 -0800, Dick Da Spic <Mo...@Python.net>
wrote:

>mye...@my-deja.com wrote:
>>Dick the Spic- <poin...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> >hey hillbilly...[..] We like the challenge of a course that changes
>> >where you must down shift and upshift hundreds of times in order
>> >to stay in contention, in other words...real racing.
>> >Dick the Spic-
>>
>> This mud seems to believe a NASCAR has no gearbox.
>
>No,

Then why did you say it?

>Believe me,

Have you ever heard the old saying that goes: "anyone who begins
a sentence with "believe me" is probably lying? That combined with
the fact that you are a mud almost assures everyone that you are lying.

>I used to race Karts and SCCA,

You misspelled "steal."

>and Nascar drivers are considered to be nothing more than 18 wheeler
>operators within real racing circles.

The circles full of drivers who are jealous of the money NASCAR
drivers make.

>They are a joke. Sort of like you.

That from a mud who must beg people to believe he is "winning"
in afn.

>Dick the Spic-

Why do you keep morphing your email addy, Dicky? You scared?

Dick Da Spic

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00

> >> This mud seems to believe a NASCAR has no gearbox.
> >
> >No,
>
> Then why did you say it?
>
> >Believe me,
>
> Have you ever heard the old saying that goes: "anyone who begins
> a sentence with "believe me" is probably lying? That combined with
> the fact that you are a mud almost assures everyone that you are lying.
>
> >I used to race Karts and SCCA,
>
> You misspelled "steal."

Why would you say that? Is that what your experience has been, to steal?
Is that what they call a Freudian slip?

Or is it typical yokel jealousy. The trailer trash trash is jealous of
anything or anybody that makes something of their life, that moves up
the economic ladder. They point their crooked fingers and laugh their
toothless laughs at others who surpass them on the road of life...but
thats all they do. They blame others for their failures but do nothing
to make their own lives any better.

> >and Nascar drivers are considered to be nothing more than 18 wheeler
> >operators within real racing circles.
>
> The circles full of drivers who are jealous of the money NASCAR
> drivers make.

They make money because there are so many dumbass rednecks who put down
half of their rent money to watch the NASCAR extravaganza of stupidity.
Hey, maybe if we put WWF wrasslers into Formula one cars put on a
demolition derby.....

> >They are a joke. Sort of like you.
>
> That from a mud who must beg people to believe he is "winning"
> in afn.

Its called rubbing your face in it.

> >Dick the Spic-
>
> Why do you keep morphing your email addy, Dicky? You scared?

Why do you alter and edit post?
You still come out getting your ass kicked.
There is no possible way that can edit or alter any post where my
superior intellect wont come crashing around your ears.

Dick the Spic-

Walking Tall

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 08:57:21 GMT, em...@domain.com (M.McGill) wrote:

>Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach
>
>Monday, 7 February, 4:20 p.m.
>P E B B L E B E A C H , C A L I F . (AP)
>
>WITH AN astonishing comeback to win the Pebble Beach
>National Pro-Am, Tiger Woods on Monday moved a step
>closer to Byron Nelson's "untouchable" record of 11 straight

>victories...

If Tiger wasn't part Asian I wonder if he'd have the brains and
finesse to do what he does?

He's not truly a "black" man but people like to dwell on that aspect
of his heritage.

B.T.

Dick Da Spic

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
Walking Tall wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 08:57:21 GMT, em...@domain.com (M.McGill) wrote:
>
> >Tiger Woods Wins Pebble Beach
> >
> >Monday, 7 February, 4:20 p.m.
> >P E B B L E B E A C H , C A L I F . (AP)
> >
> >WITH AN astonishing comeback to win the Pebble Beach
> >National Pro-Am, Tiger Woods on Monday moved a step
> >closer to Byron Nelson's "untouchable" record of 11 straight
> >victories...
>
> If Tiger wasn't part Asian I wonder if he'd have the brains and
> finesse to do what he does?

Since asians are lousy golfers..it must be the black in him.

> He's not truly a "black" man but people like to dwell on that aspect
> of his heritage.

And whites tend to dwell on that aspect than anyone else.