Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

MSNBC Guest Claims White People Stole All Music (Except Classical) From Black People

13 views
Skip to first unread message

Ubiquitous

unread,
Feb 21, 2024, 2:51:36 PMFeb 21
to
An MSNBC guest claimed on Monday that white people had stolen every form of
music in existence — with the exception of classical music — from black
people.

“The Daily Show” correspondent Dulce Sloan weighed in on the topic,
responding to critics who had suggested Beyonce’s upcoming country album —
after a lengthy career in hip hop and pop music — was a step outside her
proscribed lane.

WATCH:

MSNBC guest: "If White people hated cultural appropriation, then
they shouldn't have created music. Because every form of music in
America was stolen from Black people." pic.twitter.com/wysQqDTLaf

— TheBlaze (@theblaze) February 19, 2024

The host of the show joked that the conservatives complaining about Beyonce’s
foray into country were just proving that people on the Right actually were
not in favor of “cultural appropriation.”

“But black people have always been a part of folk and country music,” he
continued, turning the question over to Sloan. “You want to weigh in on
that?”

“If white people hated cultural appropriation, then they shouldn’t have
created music,” Sloan said. “Because every form of music in America was
stolen from black people: rock’n’roll, jazz, blues, country, pop music. So if
you have a problem with cultural appropriation — y’all created classical
music, y’all could have stuck with that …”

“Roll the piano into this concert,” Sloan continued in mocking tones,
claiming that white people — and conservatives — only had an issue with
cultural appropriation when the thing being appropriated was something they
liked or wanted to be associated with.

“As dumb as this is, let’s just say she’s right,” one person responded via X.
“Fine. We’ll give up performing rock & roll and she can give up indoor
plumbing, the printed word, cell phones, and wheeled transportation.”

As dumb as this is, let’s just say she’s right.

Fine. We’ll give up performing rock & roll and she can give up
indoor plumbing, the printed word, cell phones, and wheeled
transportation. https://t.co/9rqnNdxkth

— Tandy (@dantypo) February 20, 2024

“Here’s the issue with this. They take something that is an irrefutable fact
(the foundations of American popular music comes from Black Americans) and
then mix it with some bulls*** (every form of music in America was ‘stolen’).
I can’t believe I have to say this in 2024 but ITS NOT A BAD THING THAT WHITE
PEOPLE CONSUME OUR CONTENT,” Darvio Morrow commented.

“Yes there have been issues with the music industry robbing Black artists,
obscenely so during the Rock and Roll era. And I’ve already laid out how the
INDUSTRY stole rock music from Black folks. But you can’t blame the whole
country for the practices of the entertainment industry. That was the
industry, not the people,” he continued. “The audience never stopped loving
our music. I view our immense contributions to American popular music and
culture as a point of pride. The number one genre of music in the country
TODAY is Black music (Hip-Hop/R&B). To take something we should celebrate and
bash the country with it is so stupid and counterproductive.”

Here’s the issue with this. They take something that is an
irrefutable fact (the foundations of American popular music comes
from Black Americans) and then mix it with some bullsh*t (every form
of music in America was “stolen”). I can’t believe I have to say this
in 2024 but ITS…
https://t.co/MSt3No1xKC

— Darvio Morrow (@DTheKingpin) February 20, 2024

Despite the furor, Beyonce’s “Texas Hold ‘Em” — a single released during the
Super Bowl alongside “16 Carriages,” both from her upcoming album — has
already rocketed to the top of the Billboard Country chart, making the
Destiny’s Child alum the first black woman to have a number 1 single on the
country chart.

As for the roots of American country music? According to John McEuen of The
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, it camae from everywhere: “Country music wasn’t
called that yet, but it was music of the country. It was a combination of the
Irish; the recently freed slaves, bringing the banjo into the world; the
Spanish effects of the vaqueros down in Texas; the Germans bringing over the
‘oom-pah’ of polka music, all converging.”

--
Let's go Brandon!

BTR1701

unread,
Feb 21, 2024, 4:53:27 PMFeb 21
to
On Feb 21, 2024 at 9:38:53 AM PST, "Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> An MSNBC guest claimed on Monday that white people had stolen every form of
> music in existence-- with the exception of classical music-- from black
> people.

Sure. Because all the European peoples never had music before they met black
people. Riiigghht.

This is just more of the recent trend on social media where blacks are
claiming every cultural and scientific achievement in history were really done
by black people.

The works of Shakespeare? Ghost-written by a black woman.

Newton's Laws of Motion? Stolen by Newton from the work of a black guy.

All music everywhere? Invented by blacks.

Electricity? Actually discovered by blacks.

Einstein? White guy taking credit for black math.

> THE DAILY SHOW correspondent Dulce Sloan weighed in on the topic,
> responding to critics who had suggested Beyonce’s upcoming country album--
> after a lengthy career in hip hop and pop music-- was a step outside her
> proscribed lane.
>
> The host of the show joked that the conservatives complaining about Beyonce's
>
> foray into country were just proving that people on the Right actually were
> not in favor of "cultural appropriation".

No, it's called applying your own stupid rules against you and watching the
resulting leaps of illogic y'all engage in to try to justify the hypocrisy.

White people can't braid their hair because that's black culture. (Ignoring
the fact that the Norse people braided their hair long before they ever
encountered blacks.)

<Beyonce dies hair blonde>

But that's "different"(TM)!

> "If white people hated cultural appropriation, then they shouldn't have
> created music," Sloan said.

Wait... I thought you said whites *didn't* create any kind of music. Now
you're saying they did?

> Because every form of music in America was stolen from black people:
> rock'n'roll, jazz, blues,
> country, pop music.

Film music? Did blacks invent that, too?

Probably, because I've been told they really invented both the camera and film
itself, so of course film music was theirs, too. Natch.

How about K-Pop? Did blacks secretly invent Korean music also?

And Latin music? Did stealth blacks travel to South America and invent that
for them, too?

> So if you have a problem with cultural appropriation-- y'all created
> classical
> music, y’all could have stuck with that …”

When did white people ever have a problem with cultural appropriation? That
entire concept was invented by 'progressive' leftist minorities to give them
somewhere else to find raaaaciiism bitch about it.

> "Roll the piano into this concert," Sloan continued in mocking tones,
> claiming that white people-- and conservatives-- only had an issue with
> cultural appropriation when the thing being appropriated was something they
> liked or wanted to be associated with.
>
> "As dumb as this is, let's just say she's right," one person responded via X.
>
> "Fine. We'll give up performing rock & roll and she can give up indoor
> plumbing, the printed word, cell phones, and wheeled transportation."

Not to mention basketball. A game invented by white people for white people.

The people who scream about 'cultural appropriation' really hate it when you
throw that one in their face. They have no answer for it and they realize that
if they're suggesting white people stop using black culture, then there's no
way they can logically justify blacks playing basketball. The most common
dodge is that they'll say it's okay when they appropriate white culture
because reparations.

> As for the roots of American country music? According to John McEuen of The
> Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, it came from everywhere: "Country music wasn't
> called that yet, but it was music of the country. It was a combination of the
>
> Irish; the recently freed slaves, bringing the banjo into the world; the
> Spanish effects of the vaqueros down in Texas; the Germans bringing over the
> 'oom-pah' of polka music, all converging."

Yeah, but what the author doesn't realize is that blacks also invented the
German polka and they invented the music of the vaqueros and they invented the
Irish reel as well. Blacks invented everything, dontcha know! (And even if
they didn't, we have to pretend they did or we're raaaaciiist because
slavery.)


Nyssa

unread,
Feb 21, 2024, 6:37:39 PMFeb 21
to
Classical music has been appropriated too.

Since last year, the classical music channel on SiriusXM
has been making a point of playing music from a limited
list of black classical-style composers, especially
Florence Price who hits the daily double with being
both black and female. Another frequent black composer
heard is William Grant Sill. And occasionally Scott
Joplin (who would be more appropriate on one of the
several Jazz channels).

Oh, and they've also moved the Met Opera channel to
streaming only, but still feature an opera on the
Symphony Hall channel on Saturday afternoons. Instead
of the usual Wagner, last week's opera segment featured
an opera titled "The Life of Malcolm X."

Good thing I've got plenty of music on CDs and vinyl.

Nyssa, who wonders if this is a flash in the pan or
a permanent trend




anim8rfsk

unread,
Feb 21, 2024, 7:00:26 PMFeb 21
to
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2024 at 9:38:53 AM PST, "Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> An MSNBC guest claimed on Monday that white people had stolen every form of
>> music in existence-- with the exception of classical music-- from black
>> people.
>
> Sure. Because all the European peoples never had music before they met black
people. Riiigghht.
>
> This is just more of the recent trend on social media where blacks are
claiming every cultural and scientific achievement in history were really
done
by black people.
>
> The works of Shakespeare? Ghost-written by a black woman.
>
> Newton's Laws of Motion? Stolen by Newton from the work of a black guy.
>

Newton was a black guy. Remember your Doctor Who?


> All music everywhere? Invented by blacks.
>
> Electricity? Actually discovered by blacks.
>
> Einstein? White guy taking credit for black math.

All spaceflight equations at NASA were done by black women in the basement.
--
The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it is still on my list.

BTR1701

unread,
Feb 21, 2024, 10:06:42 PMFeb 21
to
On Feb 21, 2024 at 4:00:23 PM PST, "anim8rfsk" <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 21, 2024 at 9:38:53 AM PST, "Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> An MSNBC guest claimed on Monday that white people had stolen every form of
>>> music in existence-- with the exception of classical music-- from black
>>> people.
>>
>> Sure. Because all the European peoples never had music before they met black
> people. Riiigghht.
>>
>> This is just more of the recent trend on social media where blacks are
> claiming every cultural and scientific achievement in history were really
> done
> by black people.
>>
>> The works of Shakespeare? Ghost-written by a black woman.
>>
>> Newton's Laws of Motion? Stolen by Newton from the work of a black guy.
>
> Newton was a black guy. Remember your Doctor Who?
>
>> All music everywhere? Invented by blacks.
>>
>> Electricity? Actually discovered by blacks.
>>
>> Einstein? White guy taking credit for black math.
>
> All spaceflight equations at NASA were done by black women in the basement.

And a black man was the first to walk on the moon. (Not kidding. They actually
seriously say this.

Listen to this one claim blacks invented everything-- the car, the computer,
toilets-- there's nothing they didn't invent.

https://x.com/RadioGenoa/status/1760224013375111449?s=20


The Horny Goat

unread,
Feb 22, 2024, 1:09:50 AMFeb 22
to
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:00:23 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:

> Yeah, but what the author doesn't realize is that blacks also invented the
>German polka and they invented the music of the vaqueros and they invented
>the Irish reel as well. Blacks invented everything, dontcha know! (And even if
>they didn't, we have to pretend they did or we're raaaaciiist because
>slavery.)

While I know you're joking this is one I don't feel the least guilty
on this ludicrous claim since (a) it's not at all true and (b) even if
it were it wasn't part of things in any part of the United States (or
Britain for that matter) where any of my forebears lived unless you
count indentured servitude for 5 years to pay for the cost of their
passage to America which several of my ancestors were.

So should I be claiming reparations from Barack Obama? (none of whose
black ancestors were Americans though some of his white ancestors had
been slave holders)

Or should I DEMAND reparations because some of my other ancestors were
Royal Navy commissioned officers who fought the slave trade? (Some of
them died in their service during the period of the battle against the
slave trade though I haven't determined where they were fighting at
the time of their deaths - and in the eyes of some of these black
'activists' that should be good enough without further evidence)

The Horny Goat

unread,
Feb 22, 2024, 1:15:15 AMFeb 22
to
This Wiki page has photos of all the Apollo astronauts - the ones that
walked on the Moon as well as the ones that didn't. Which is the black
one? (It sure as hell isn't Neil Armstrong!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_astronauts

As for the human "computers" - they definitely contributed (and were
NOT all black) but anybody who claims they were the entire NASA
computing effort? - well I want some of what they've been smoking!

But for sure it wasn't a black who invented basketball though I'd bet
there are plenty who wish that one had!

Your Name

unread,
Feb 22, 2024, 2:00:56 AMFeb 22
to
The first humans evolved in north Africa, so technically everyone on
the planet (past, present, and future) is actually African. :-)


0 new messages