Lee Baker: A Blues Tragedy

space for rent

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Curtis Hewston wrote:

> [...]
> faithful friend.
>
> Over the ensuing years, Lee has been both a mainstay and a power to be
> respected among the Memphis blues community. His guitar artistry has been
> unmatched, as has his support of virtually every good cause to raise its
> head. A "Mudboy" reunion is guaranteed to draw a large crowd of old hippies
> and retro kids, and recent ones have benefited such diverse causes as the
> local Shakespeare Theater and the Sonny Boy Blues Society.
>
> Today, the Calvary Episcopal Church could not accommodate half the friends
> of Lee Baker, who was viciously murdered and then burned with his 75-year-
> old aunt on Tuesday. People who swore that they would never set foot in
> Memphis again were in attendance, as were folks who cut their vacations
> short to return home.
>
> On August 12th, Lee's home near Hughes, Arkansas, was burned to the ground.
> I saw him at the Labor Day Festival on Beale Street, and we talked about the
> memorabilia he had lost. Lee and I sat with Morris Cummings (Blind
> Mississippi Morris) and talked about the diaries he had kept, the family
> photos, Furry's National guitar and the other irreplaceable items that had
> burned. I promised to help him recover copies of some things, such as his
> 1969 and 1971 performances at festivals here, which are part of the Adelphi/
> Genes Blues Vault. (And I made this promise with the sympathetic cooperation
> of the label's owner Gene Rosenthal.) We hugged and parted with the
> understanding that Lee would call me soon so that I could give him the
> single photo in my possession of the grand finale of the 1971 fest and a
> copy of two songs from the 1969 Memphis Country Blues Festival--for starters.
>
> What never occurred to most of us after this August 12th fire, was that it
> was a case of arson, deliberately set to conceal a robbery. Lee was holding
> some cash to pay for the printing and pressing of his band's new record, and
> I suspect that the robbers, being lucky once and stupid, grabbed the dough and
> set the house on fire to cover their tracks. A month later, they found his
> temporary residence at his aunt's, for whom he collected rent on a regular
> basis from her tenants in this country outpost, shot both of them and set the
> house on fire, once again, to cover their tracks.
>
> My speculations really don't matter here. What does matter is that one of
> the finest, and largely undiscovered, of blues guitarists and one of the kindest
> and most loving men to ever draw breath, was ruthlessly murdered less than a
> month after losing almost all that he had in the world. He leaves a lovely
> wife, three strong sons and thousands of friends, but his kind will not
> likely be duplicated.
>
> Someday, and I hope that it's soon, you will all have an opportunity to hear
> and enjoy his guitar artistry. When that time comes, please recall the good
> soul of this man and say a little prayer for him.

guvnorni...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2014, 7:54:35 PM11/8/14
Thats still going on in Hughes, very dangerous town.
http://wreg.com/2012/06/12/family-dollar-store-fire-set-to-cover-up-burglary/

klemenb...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2015, 9:57:51 AM4/27/15
Dear Denise,

may I ask if you are in contact with any members of the band. We would like to do a nice article about them.

pointed...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2016, 12:44:03 AM9/17/16
Except for Jimmy Crosthwait, they've all since passed. They're sons all play together still, though.

lilsuth...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2020, 6:05:02 PM3/25/20
And now Martha McKay has been stabbed to death. 😢

katiehu...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2020, 7:10:48 PM7/18/20
On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 5:05:02 PM UTC-5, lilsuth...@gmail.com wrote:
> And now Martha McKay has been stabbed to death. 😢
I am Martha's sister. As awful as it was to lose my mother and my cousin Lee Baker, this is even harder being my sister such an innocent and beautiful girl getting older of course but I still needed her around to help me because I'm sick now. I miss her so very much. I was searching for some other information about Lee and I found this website. Is it was nice to find out that people are still thinking of her.