50 greatest athletes what a joke.

1 view

Chatt_town

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99
ESPN has once again made a fool of itself. They have chosen their so called
50 greatest athletes of the century. It was a real joke. This was more like
the 50 most influential or 50 most popular sports figures. The fact that
the man that was the second leading homerun hitter of all time was second
clarrified this point. He was most known for his homeruns. Yet he is
second on the list. I never read where he was a crowd pleaser on defense. I
don't know about them sometimes. They have the numbers right in fron of
them but somehow manages to screw it up everytime. I wonder why? I'm
surprised that Rocky wasn't on the list.

Peace,

Chatt_town

Dutch Armstrong

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99
Chatt_town wrote:

whitey got ya again, eh? just keep worrying about your nikes, bassa ball, and
criminal sports stars and i'm sure you'll go far.

Chatt_town

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99
Dutch,

I expected some useless responses. Did you have to be the first? Can you
debate without using offensive language, or is this the only way you know
how to respond to anything? If you can debate than lets get started. Tell
me your real opinion on the list. Why it is or why its not valid. Or
better yet. Tell me what makes you think that all Black sports(as you
insiuated) figures are criminals. Now if you don't know how to debate then
I understand. You do have the right to remain silent.....

Ruff-Cut

Dec 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/26/99
Your right,the stats are what count. It shouldn't be what the person
does outside of the sport. It shouldn't be a popularity contest. Why
then are all the blacks pissing and moaning about what some white
baseball player said in an interview? Judge him by his performance
on the field,and don't confuse his personal life with his job,right?

Ruff-Cut

Chatt_town <chatt...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

Chatt_town

Dec 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/27/99
Ruff,

I have yet to see where "Blacks" are moaning. I have heard where S.I has
printed his interview. I have to read the article before judging him. For
the record though. If he indeed did make the statements that are suggested.
It is not a problem until he throws one of his 98 mph fastballs by Griffey
Jr's head. That really should not be a problem because many pitchers do
this. However, John Rocker "supposedly" has made it clear on how he feels
about so called minorities and can expect problems the next time he throws a
ball at someone whether it be intenional or not. Many pitchers in the past
have felt the way he feels for different reasons mostly ignorance. I think
he will learn to keep those feelings to himself from the reprocussions from
this incident. So since you threw this in. What are your feelings on the
so called 50 greatest athletes? I'm just asking so please leave all the
uncalled for phrases out. I'm serious. I just wondered if anyone else on
here believes that "Babe" should have really been second. I just personally
thought it was a joke from the get go since back then, Blacks were not even
allowed to play in the so called "major leagues". I'm not so sure anyone
from that era should have even been considered since they obviously
overlooked players from the Negro leagues.

Peace,

Chatt_town

Ruff-Cut

Dec 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/27/99

> Ruff,
>

> I have yet to see where "Blacks" are moaning.

*** Hank Aaron was interviewed saying that Rocker owed everyone
an explanation for his comments. There have been plenty of black
activists calling for Rocker's dismissal from baseball. The media
loves this shit.

I have heard where S.I has
> printed his interview. I have to read the article before judging him.
For
> the record though. If he indeed did make the statements that are
suggested.
> It is not a problem until he throws one of his 98 mph fastballs by Griffey
> Jr's head. That really should not be a problem because many pitchers do
> this. However, John Rocker "supposedly" has made it clear on how he feels
> about so called minorities and can expect problems the next time he throws
> ball at someone whether it be intenional or not. Many pitchers in the past
> have felt the way he feels for different reasons mostly ignorance. I
think
> he will learn to keep those feelings to himself from the reprocussions
from
> this incident.

*** Exactly my point. Why are there any reprocussions at all? If a
player's merit should not be assisted by popularity,then it shouldn't
be deteriorated by the lack of it.

So since you threw this in. What are your feelings on the
> so called 50 greatest athletes?

*** Haven't seen the list.

I'm just asking so please leave all the
> uncalled for phrases out. I'm serious. I just wondered if anyone else on
> here believes that "Babe" should have really been second. I just
personally
> thought it was a joke from the get go since back then, Blacks were not
even
> allowed to play in the so called "major leagues". I'm not so sure anyone
> from that era should have even been considered since they obviously
> overlooked players from the Negro leagues.

*** I see. The white players from the past should be void because
of the policies of the management? You'd happily ignore the
accomplishments of many players who developed impressive
records,despite the fact that they used inferior equipment,and played
for reasons other than multi-million dollar contracts?

Ruff-Cut

Chatt_town

Dec 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/27/99

Ruff-Cut wrote in message ...

>Chatt_town <chatt...@email.msn.com> wrote in message
>> Ruff,
>>

>> I have yet to see where "Blacks" are moaning.
>
>*** Hank Aaron was interviewed saying that Rocker owed everyone
>an explanation for his comments. There have been plenty of black
>activists calling for Rocker's dismissal from baseball. The media
>loves this shit.

$$$ Well all I can say is this. Many so called minorities do pay big bucks
to see them play. Maybe he does. Thats the price of fame. If you or I had
said this there would probably be little questioning if any at all.

> I have heard where S.I has
>> printed his interview. I have to read the article before judging him.
>For
>> the record though. If he indeed did make the statements that are
>suggested.
>> It is not a problem until he throws one of his 98 mph fastballs by
Griffey
>> Jr's head. That really should not be a problem because many pitchers do
>> this. However, John Rocker "supposedly" has made it clear on how he
feels
>> about so called minorities and can expect problems the next time he
throws
>> ball at someone whether it be intenional or not. Many pitchers in the
past
>> have felt the way he feels for different reasons mostly ignorance. I
>think
>> he will learn to keep those feelings to himself from the reprocussions
>from
>> this incident.
>
>*** Exactly my point. Why are there any reprocussions at all? If a
>player's merit should not be assisted by popularity,then it shouldn't
>be deteriorated by the lack of it.

$$$$Its not about his popularity. Its about how he feels. Why did you
throw a 98 mph fastball by someone's head? Thats the question. His
popularity is shot to hell. He won't be marketable for soft drinks and what
not. Again thats the price you pay when you're in the lime light.

> So since you threw this in. What are your feelings on the
>> so called 50 greatest athletes?
>
>*** Haven't seen the list.
>
>I'm just asking so please leave all the
>> uncalled for phrases out. I'm serious. I just wondered if anyone else
on
>> here believes that "Babe" should have really been second. I just
>personally
>> thought it was a joke from the get go since back then, Blacks were not
>even
>> allowed to play in the so called "major leagues". I'm not so sure anyone
>> from that era should have even been considered since they obviously
>> overlooked players from the Negro leagues.
>
>*** I see. The white players from the past should be void because
>of the policies of the management? You'd happily ignore the
>accomplishments of many players who developed impressive
>records,despite the fact that they used inferior equipment,and played
>for reasons other than multi-million dollar contracts?
>
>Ruff-Cut

$$$$ Well hell isn't that whats going on now? Are they not ignoring
accomplishments of many players who developed impressive records despite the
fact that they used inferior equipment and being kepted out of the major
leagues because of the color of their skin? They also played for reasons
other than multi-million dollar contracts. Why should one be included and
the other not. Is that fair? Also, while some of the equipment was not as
up to date as now. The pitchers weren't exactly gunning the ball by anyone.
The athletes today are far better than those of the past. Thats a known
fact. You can question some of their morals and values or whatever, but the
skills are unquestionably better in all sports. Not just baseball.

BAH_BAH_Booy

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99

Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen Rocker in any underwear
commercials lately. He wasn't marketable even before he opened up his
mouth.

>> So since you threw this in. What are your feelings on the
>>> so called 50 greatest athletes?
>>
>>*** Haven't seen the list.
>>
>>I'm just asking so please leave all the
>>> uncalled for phrases out. I'm serious. I just wondered if anyone else
>on
>>> here believes that "Babe" should have really been second. I just
>>personally
>>> thought it was a joke from the get go since back then, Blacks were not
>>even

Alright forget about the"Babe". Because of what you said. How about
Pete Rose as second. Blacks were allowed to play with ol' Petey boy.
And almost every sports writer in America will agree that he WAS the
greatest "pure" hitter the game has ever seen. If they needed a hit to
win a game. They all said Rose would be their choice. Over Hank
Aaron, Willie Mayes, the "Babe", etc....

>>> allowed to play in the so called "major leagues". I'm not so sure anyone
>>> from that era should have even been considered since they obviously
>>> overlooked players from the Negro leagues.

Do you really think all of Ken Griffey Jr.'s home runs that he hit at
home in that so-called stadium(my back yard is bigger than that thing)
can be compared to what any other player did 40 years ago in say
Yankee Stadium. For a true comparison. All the equipment and stadiums
have to be the same.

Art Clemons

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99
In article <s6dtl0...@corp.supernews.com>, "Ruff-Cut"
<shar...@asapnet.net> writes:

> Your right,the stats are what count. It shouldn't be what the person
>does outside of the sport. It shouldn't be a popularity contest. Why
>then are all the blacks pissing and moaning about what some white
>baseball player said in an interview? Judge him by his performance
>on the field,and don't confuse his personal life with his job,right?

So uh, was that what you said when Latrell Sprewell was accused of roughing his
coach, or did you for example make the same claim when a certain football
player was charged with murder?
-art clemons-

Ruff-Cut

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99

Art Clemons <artcl...@aol.com> wrote in message

Art,you amaze me. Please explain to us all how assault and murder
are the same as the right to free speech.

Ruff-Cut

Ruff-Cut

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99

> Ruff-Cut wrote in message ...
> >
> >Chatt_town <chatt...@email.msn.com> wrote in message
> >> Ruff,
> >>

> >> I have yet to see where "Blacks" are moaning.
> >
> >*** Hank Aaron was interviewed saying that Rocker owed everyone
> >an explanation for his comments. There have been plenty of black
> >activists calling for Rocker's dismissal from baseball. The media
> >loves this shit.
>

> $$$ Well all I can say is this. Many so called minorities do pay big
bucks
> to see them play. Maybe he does. Thats the price of fame. If you or I
had
> said this there would probably be little questioning if any at all.

*** What? A person's freedom of speech is contingent upon
their occupation(in a private sector)and their exposure? If that's the
case,Dennis Rodman should have been expelled from basketball
shortly after his career started. Didn't minorities pay big bucks to
see him play? Where was the outrage then?

> > So since you threw this in. What are your feelings on the
> >> so called 50 greatest athletes?
> >
> >*** Haven't seen the list.
> >
> >I'm just asking so please leave all the
> >> uncalled for phrases out. I'm serious. I just wondered if anyone else
> on
> >> here believes that "Babe" should have really been second. I just
> >personally
> >> thought it was a joke from the get go since back then, Blacks were not
> >even

> >> allowed to play in the so called "major leagues". I'm not so sure
anyone
> >> from that era should have even been considered since they obviously
> >> overlooked players from the Negro leagues.
> >

> >*** I see. The white players from the past should be void because
> >of the policies of the management? You'd happily ignore the
> >accomplishments of many players who developed impressive
> >records,despite the fact that they used inferior equipment,and played
> >for reasons other than multi-million dollar contracts?
> >
> >Ruff-Cut
> >

> $$$$ Well hell isn't that whats going on now? Are they not ignoring
> accomplishments of many players who developed impressive records despite
the
> fact that they used inferior equipment and being kepted out of the major
> leagues because of the color of their skin? They also played for reasons
> other than multi-million dollar contracts. Why should one be included and
> the other not. Is that fair? Also, while some of the equipment was not
as
> up to date as now. The pitchers weren't exactly gunning the ball by
anyone.
> The athletes today are far better than those of the past. Thats a known
> fact. You can question some of their morals and values or whatever, but
the
> skills are unquestionably better in all sports. Not just baseball.

* You would perpetuate the same thing even more by excluding the
white players of that era.

* True,the players of today are better athletes,but not neccessarily
better players.

* If you have statistics from the black leagues that indicate that there
were better players among them,then post it.....or better yet,send
it to SI.

Ruff-Cut

Ruff-Cut

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99

> In article <s6hl3f...@corp.supernews.com>, "Ruff-Cut"
> Let's read what you said again!

*** No Art. Your the one who needs to read,and comprehend.

> > > Your right,the stats are what count. It shouldn't be what the person
> > >does outside of the sport
>

> Did you say it, or didn't you?

*** Duh. If I had a fist fight at a bar,there isn't a dam thing my boss
could do about it. If I had a fist fight with my boss at work,your
damn right I could be fired. Also,if I made any remarks about a
player who was suspected of murder,I certainly didn't mention his
job. What the hell would his profession have to do with a criminal
issue?

If you did, you weren't clear enough in
> delineating what you meant if you now attempt to correct me. It's your
game,
> you want to defend racists and fools and attempt to pretend that such
behavior
> isn't offensive. I'm sure if I go looking, I can find where you've
attacked
> folks for speech. It is indeed telling that you can defend racism as free
> speech. Besides, his right to speak isn't being taken away, his
privilege of
> playing a professional game might be, there is a difference, and I note
that
> there is a long history in sports of getting rid of those without a
modicum of
> public relations skills.

What? It's his privilage to work? He has a contract. Like any worker,
he can't be fired because his beliefs are found to be unpopular by
some. Any lawyer could tell you that. Unless he was making offensive
remarks on the job,there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Ruff-Cut

Art Clemons

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
<shar...@asapnet.net> writes:

>Art Clemons <artcl...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> In article <s6dtl0...@corp.supernews.com>, "Ruff-Cut"
>> <shar...@asapnet.net> writes:
>>
>> > Your right,the stats are what count. It shouldn't be what the person
>> >does outside of the sport. It shouldn't be a popularity contest. Why
>> >then are all the blacks pissing and moaning about what some white
>> >baseball player said in an interview? Judge him by his performance
>> >on the field,and don't confuse his personal life with his job,right?
>> >

>> So uh, was that what you said when Latrell Sprewell was accused of
>roughing his
>> coach, or did you for example make the same claim when a certain football
>> player was charged with murder?
>> -art clemons-
>
> Art,you amaze me. Please explain to us all how assault and murder
>are the same as the right to free speech.

Let's read what you said again!

> > Your right,the stats are what count. It shouldn't be what the person

> >does outside of the sport

Did you say it, or didn't you? If you did, you weren't clear enough in

delineating what you meant if you now attempt to correct me. It's your game,
you want to defend racists and fools and attempt to pretend that such behavior
isn't offensive. I'm sure if I go looking, I can find where you've attacked
folks for speech. It is indeed telling that you can defend racism as free
speech. Besides, his right to speak isn't being taken away, his privilege of
playing a professional game might be, there is a difference, and I note that
there is a long history in sports of getting rid of those without a modicum of
public relations skills.

-art clemons-

Chatt_town

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99

Ruff-Cut wrote in message ...

> * You would perpetuate the same thing even more by excluding the
>white players of that era.

$$$ Thats my point. You agree that is wrong so why not do it right the
first time? Thats my question.

> * True,the players of today are better athletes,but not neccessarily
>better players.

False, The are better players and athletes. They may not always have the
best morals, but I think thats people in general. The entire world is so
fu... up now that we as a society are lacking in morals. I mean who would
have ever thought there would be a day where we would take prayer out of
schools but then entertain the thought of putting guns in them.

> * If you have statistics from the black leagues that indicate that there
>were better players among them,then post it.....or better yet,send
>it to SI.

Look, We are talking abou S.I. They know the stats better than anyone
else. They as well as ESPN knew what they were doing.

Peace,

Chatt_town

Chatt_town

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
**What? It's his privilage to work? He has a contract. Like any worker,

he can't be fired because his beliefs are found to be unpopular by
some. Any lawyer could tell you that. Unless he was making offensive
remarks on the job,there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Ruff-Cut

Ruff,

I will say this. Whatever the case is, he'd better get use to it.(having so
called minorities around). They are in baseball as well as everyday life. I
think the best punishment for him would be to let him stay in baseball. Let
him go through every day of his career deal with the fact that there are
players other than Whites that not only live in America but also that can
play the game of baseball.

Peace,

Chatt_town

Ruff-Cut wrote in message ...

>Art Clemons <artcl...@aol.com> wrote in message

>> In article <s6hl3f...@corp.supernews.com>, "Ruff-Cut"
>> <shar...@asapnet.net> writes:
>>
>> >Art Clemons <artcl...@aol.com> wrote in message

>> >roughing his
>football
>> >
>> > Art,you amaze me. Please explain to us all how assault and murder
>> >are the same as the right to free speech.
>>
>> Let's read what you said again!
>

>*** No Art. Your the one who needs to read,and comprehend.

>> Did you say it, or didn't you?
>

>*** Duh. If I had a fist fight at a bar,there isn't a dam thing my boss
>could do about it. If I had a fist fight with my boss at work,your
>damn right I could be fired. Also,if I made any remarks about a
>player who was suspected of murder,I certainly didn't mention his
>job. What the hell would his profession have to do with a criminal
>issue?
>

>If you did, you weren't clear enough in
>> delineating what you meant if you now attempt to correct me. It's your
>game,
>> you want to defend racists and fools and attempt to pretend that such
>behavior
>> isn't offensive. I'm sure if I go looking, I can find where you've
>attacked
>> folks for speech. It is indeed telling that you can defend racism as
free
>> speech. Besides, his right to speak isn't being taken away, his
>privilege of
>> playing a professional game might be, there is a difference, and I note
>that
>> there is a long history in sports of getting rid of those without a
>modicum of
>> public relations skills.

Ruff-Cut

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99

> Ruff,
>
> I will say this. Whatever the case is, he'd better get use to it.(having
so
> called minorities around). They are in baseball as well as everyday life.
> think the best punishment for him would be to let him stay in baseball.
Let
> him go through every day of his career deal with the fact that there are
> players other than Whites that not only live in America but also that can
> play the game of baseball.
>
> Peace,
>
> Chatt_town

You make it sound as though he made a very general statement
that condemned all minorities. From what I've read,he only criticized
the city,and some of it's occupants. He did not say that he had a
problem with all minorities,or with the minorities in the league.

Ruff-Cut

Chatt_town

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
No,

From the quote I saw, he stated something along the lines of "not being able
to see nothing but minorities that spoke everything other than English."
That spoke about not only the city but the people in it as well. Futhermore,
If he is not crazy about the so called minorities in NY what makes you think
he would not have a problem with them anywhere else?

Peace,

Chatt_town

Ruff-Cut

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99

> No,
>
> From the quote I saw, he stated something along the lines of "not being
able
> to see nothing but minorities that spoke everything other than English."
> That spoke about not only the city but the people in it as well.
Futhermore,
> If he is not crazy about the so called minorities in NY what makes you
think
> he would not have a problem with them anywhere else?
>
> Peace,
>
> Chatt_town

It sounds to me like he has a problem with the vast immigration
in NY,and not a problem with blacks. He probably doesn't care much for the
congestion and the filth either.
This attitude has been expressed here by others of all races
and colors. If he doesn't like the city or the people,then all the more
power to him for speaking how he feels.
I don't see any connection between what you've just told me,and
how his thinking would affect him as a player,or the people he plays
with. Personally I don't like all the damn immigrants either,and I
especially don't like the breaks our government gives them either.

Ruff-Cut

Ruff-Cut

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99

> Ruff-Cut wrote in message ...
> >

> > * You would perpetuate the same thing even more by excluding the
> >white players of that era.
> >
> $$$ Thats my point. You agree that is wrong so why not do it right the
> first time? Thats my question.
>

> > * True,the players of today are better athletes,but not neccessarily
> >better players.
>

> False, The are better players and athletes. They may not always have the
> best morals, but I think thats people in general. The entire world is so
> fu... up now that we as a society are lacking in morals.

*** I'm glad you caught that,however the current conditions of things
is no excuse for some of the antics that occur in professional sports.
Why is it that people always have an excuse?

I mean who would
> have ever thought there would be a day where we would take prayer out of
> schools but then entertain the thought of putting guns in them.

*** Who's entertaining the idea of introducing guns into schools?

> > * If you have statistics from the black leagues that indicate that
there
> >were better players among them,then post it.....or better yet,send
> >it to SI.
> >
> Look, We are talking abou S.I. They know the stats better than anyone
> else. They as well as ESPN knew what they were doing.

*** Well then rattle their cage a little.

Ruff-Cut

Chatt_town

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99
*Why is it that people always have an excuse?

I don't know why people have excuses for doing wrong. While I don't have a
problem with their salaries I do have a problem with someone that doesn't
know how to act. You'll never hear me uphold any wrong doing by anyone.

**Who's entertaining the idea of introducing guns into schools?

Schools have police in them now. Thats what I meant by adding guns to
schools.

*** Well then rattle their cage a little.

Believe me dude. I rattle cages all the time through email. Thats the
wonderful thing about the internet. If someone is screwing up. I just drop
them a email.

Peace,

chatt_town

Ruff-Cut wrote in message ...

>Chatt_town <chatt...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

>> Ruff-Cut wrote in message ...
>> >

>> > * You would perpetuate the same thing even more by excluding the
>> >white players of that era.
>> >
>> $$$ Thats my point. You agree that is wrong so why not do it right the
>> first time? Thats my question.
>>

>> > * True,the players of today are better athletes,but not neccessarily
>> >better players.
>>

>> False, The are better players and athletes. They may not always have the
>> best morals, but I think thats people in general. The entire world is so
>> fu... up now that we as a society are lacking in morals.
>

>*** I'm glad you caught that,however the current conditions of things
>is no excuse for some of the antics that occur in professional sports.
>Why is it that people always have an excuse?
>

> I mean who would
>> have ever thought there would be a day where we would take prayer out of
>> schools but then entertain the thought of putting guns in them.
>

>*** Who's entertaining the idea of introducing guns into schools?
>

>> > * If you have statistics from the black leagues that indicate that
>there
>> >were better players among them,then post it.....or better yet,send
>> >it to SI.
>> >
>> Look, We are talking abou S.I. They know the stats better than anyone
>> else. They as well as ESPN knew what they were doing.

Chatt_town

Dec 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/30/99

I don't see any connection between what you've just told me,and
how his thinking would affect him as a player,or the people he plays
with. Personally I don't like all the damn immigrants either,and I
especially don't like the breaks our government gives them either.

$$ I haven't seen anywhere where the Indians stamped any Visas or whatever
they are called. I mean really. Many of these so called immigrants that are
born here just like you and I were. So how do you tell who is and isn't an
immigrant. Thats my problem with this whole issue. He is generalizing. He
walks by Whites and assumes that the are Americans when the fact is many
Whites are immigrants. Its just another way of racial profiling. I don't
have as much of a problem with how he feels. I'm concerned with "why" he
feels this way. The truth is many of these so called immigrants work harder
than Blacks or Whites. For me personally, I think his comments have as much
to do with baseball as Pete Rose's gambling has to do with baseball. As I
said before if he wants to say those things thats his choice. These people
have done nothing to him. So why hate them. They came here for the same
reasons that many others come by boat and plane everyday. So why should we
stop it now? We weren't concerned about it back in the day.

Peace,

chatt_town