North Korea defector says Team USA athlete Gwen Berry would have been executed over 'unthinkable' flag protest

Coon Slayer

Jul 2, 2021, 3:23:45 AM7/2/21
Human rights activist Yeonmi Park, who defected from North Korea,
criticized the “unthinkable” actions of Team USA hammer thrower Gwen Berry
after she turned her back to the American flag as the national anthem
played.

During the playing of the anthem at an Olympic qualifier in Oregon, first-
place finisher DeAnna Price and second-place finisher Brooke Anderson
faced the flag with their hands over their heart. Berry, however, shifted
to face the crowd and covered her head with a T-shirt that read, “Activist
Athlete.”

"If she did the exact same thing at this very moment, if she was North
Korean, not only herself will be executed, [also] eight generations of her
family can be sent to political prison camp and execution,” Park said.

Berry does not know how good she and other Americans have it compared to
dictatorships globally, Park said.

"I was a slave," Park said, pointing to inhumane practices in China and
North Korea. "I was sold in China in 2007 as a child at 13 years old. The
people actually called it slavery under [the] Chinese Communist Party in
North Korea.”

“There is actual injustice [there], and the fact that she's complaining
about this country — the most tolerant country — she doesn't really
understand history," she added.

Responding to the criticism, Berry said she felt she was “set up” by the
playing of the anthem and said her actions were misinterpreted.

"I never said that I hated the country,” she told the Black News Channel
on Tuesday. "I never said that I didn't want to go to the Olympic Games —
that's why I competed and got third and made the team.”

Later in the interview, Berry seemed to defend her actions.

"If you know your history, you know the full song of the national anthem,
the third paragraph speaks to slaves in America, our blood being slain ...
all over the floor," she said. "It's disrespectful and it does not speak
for black Americans. It's obvious. There's no question."

Park, however, said the Olympic-qualified athlete was “so privileged” and
that she does not know what oppression under a dictatorship really looks
like.

"In North Korea, people who are actually oppressed don't even know they’re
oppressed,” she said. “The fact that she's complaining about oppression
and systemic racism — she does not understand that she's so privileged."

"There are people dying to come to America at this very moment," Park
said. "I just hope they go to North Korea, China and see how humans are
being oppressed, and they will truly understand how valuable the freedom
that we have is."

https://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-defector-says-team-184300028.html

anim8rfsk

Jul 2, 2021, 5:30:24 PM7/2/21
Coon Slayer <coon-...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Human rights activist Yeonmi Park, who defected from North Korea,
> criticized the “unthinkable” actions of Team USA hammer thrower Gwen Berry
> after she turned her back to the American flag as the national anthem
> played.
>
> During the playing of the anthem at an Olympic qualifier in Oregon, first-
> place finisher DeAnna Price and second-place finisher Brooke Anderson
> faced the flag with their hands over their heart. Berry, however, shifted
> to face the crowd and covered her head with a T-shirt that read, “Activist
> Athlete.”
>
> "If she did the exact same thing at this very moment, if she was North
> Korean, not only herself will be executed, [also] eight generations of her
> family can be sent to political prison camp and execution,” Park said.

So park is defending what North Korea would do?

Coon Slayer

Jul 5, 2021, 5:39:56 PM7/5/21
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote in
The operative is "If".

Learn to read and understand simple conjunctions.

Stating publicly known facts for a given condition is not an attempt at
being defensive or expressing approval.

Atemmpting to misconstrue it any other way is complete ignorance.