Coed Showers

SHO582616

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

I have recently read in many newspapers that several colleges in the
United States offer dorms with non-gender or coed bathrooms and even
showers. I was surprised to see the colleges that offered this kind of
living area. I was wondering if anyone knew of any colleges that had coed
showers. How are these areas set up? Are they small bathrooms used only by
residents of part of the dorm, or are they large locker rooms similar to
ones in health clubs. I believe that there should be a publication that
warns parents and students of dorms of this nature.

Thanks

Brady Ho

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

SHO582616 (sho5...@aol.com) wrote:
: I have recently read in many newspapers that several colleges in the

: Thanks

Hmm...I graduated from UC Berkeley in 1992. Anyway, I lived in a coed
dorm. There were eight floors. One floor was all male and another was all
female. The rest were mixed (half and half).

Each floor had one large "bathroom." The area was divided into two
sections. The first section had the sinks and lockers. The other section
had on one side bathrooms (toilets) and the other showers. Each shower
had a door that opened to a small changing area. And then a shower
curtain - and then the shower stall.

I never heard any incidents of impropreity, etc. I also don't remember
any untoward comments, etc.

There is nothing really to warn paretns/students of. You go into the
bathroom. Get your stuff out of your locker. Wander to the shower. Close
the door. take a shower. change. open the door.

--
Support the UN Association & Model UN

Melanie Baker

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

On May 28, 1996 13:14:27 in article <Coed Showers>, 'sho5...@aol.com

(SHO582616)' wrote:

>I have recently read in many newspapers that several colleges in the
>United States offer dorms with non-gender or coed bathrooms and even
>showers. I was surprised to see the colleges that offered this kind of
>living area. I was wondering if anyone knew of any colleges that had coed
>showers. How are these areas set up? Are they small bathrooms used only by

>residents of part of the dorm, or are they large locker rooms similar to
>ones in health clubs. I believe that there should be a publication that
>warns parents and students of dorms of this nature.
>
>Thanks

Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio offers this option. I really have
no
clue how they set it up or, for that matter, why they set it up. I had
wanted
to attend that college, but the shower situation as well as the tuition fee

turned me away.
--
melanie ann baker
melan...@usa.pipeline.com

'everything on the earth has a purpose,
every disease an herb to cure it,
and every person a mission...'

Rasheed Baqai

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

There was an article in a Reader's Digest about one girl's experience
with this system.

I believe Haverford College is one of them (reference
http://centerstage.net/chicago/archive/music/interviews/phish/)

Rasheed

Holland Guldberg

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

I have. At Western Washington University.

For three years I used a co-ed bathroom with 6 others. There were never
any problems. We all respected each other and acted like adults.

This was on the top floor of a 100 person dorm. There were 4 singles and
1 double room. Kind of felt like a penthouse.

Holland.

Goo...@deltanet.com

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In article <4ogbj0$8...@news2.h1.usa.pipeline.com>,
melan...@usa.pipeline.com(Melanie Baker) wrote:

> Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio offers this option. I really have
> no
> clue how they set it up or, for that matter, why they set it up. I had
> wanted
> to attend that college, but the shower situation as well as the tuition fee
>
> turned me away.
> --
> melanie ann baker
> melan...@usa.pipeline.com
> ra...@omni-link.com

Perhaps it's set up in such a way that the showers are coed, meaning any
sex can use them, but it has to be all the same sex at one time WHEN they
are being used.

Gooshie

--
"Theorizing that one could time-travel within his own lifetime..."
-Unknown

Elizabeth Anne Otwell

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

I visited my friend at Haverford College, and they had them. From her
describing them, I was relutant to use them, but I had no problem. On
her floor were about 40 people (give or take)...the bathroom had 3
regular stalls and a urinal within a stall. There were two showers, but
the actual shower was HUGE inside. No changing area, but the water only
got on half of it, so there was plenty of room to change within. The
curtains were very big, etc. so no problem with privacy. I was in there
at the same time as a male and there was absolutely no problem...just
like sharing a bathroom with a brother.

E-

Ric Weibl

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In article <4ogbj0$8...@news2.h1.usa.pipeline.com>,
melan...@usa.pipeline.com(Melanie Baker) wrote:

*On May 28, 1996 13:14:27 in article <Coed Showers>, 'sho5...@aol.com
*(SHO582616)' wrote:
*
*
*>I have recently read in many newspapers that several colleges in the
*>United States offer dorms with non-gender or coed bathrooms and even
*>showers.

Some stuff deleted.....
*
*Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio offers this option. I really have
no clue how *they set it up or, for that matter, why they set it up. I had
wanted to attend that *college, but the shower situation as well as the

tuition fee turned me away.

Yes, Antioch does offer co-ed residence halls - some with "Unisex"
bathrooms. I wasn't here when it happened but I would guess a couple of
influences made a difference: Antioch assumes its students are adults and
as such are capable of sharing and protecting the space they share.

Recall that at home a "family" shares a bathroom - and even young boys
full of raging hormones figure out (learn or are taught) how to behave
appropriately in that case. Why should they "forget" all those lessons
and require the oversight of college officials.

Of course this isn't an attractive option for all - so no one should be
forced into it. Lots of good reasons it makes folks uncomfortable and
again Antioch tries to be flexible. We do have single sex halls too.

Ric Weibl

ps: Wanna know more about Antioch College....check out our homepage at
http://college.antioch.edu

"Antioch is in a class by itself. There is no college or university in the country that makes a more profound difference in a young person's life, or that creates more effective adults. None of the Ivies, big or little, can match Antioch's ability to produce outstanding thinkers and doers." Loren Pope in _Colleges That Change Lives_ Penguin Books 1996.

The Antimatter Dude!

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

SHO582616 (sho5...@aol.com) wrote:

: I have recently read in many newspapers that several colleges in the
: United States offer dorms with non-gender or coed bathrooms and even
: showers. I was surprised to see the colleges that offered this kind of

: living area. I was wondering if anyone knew of any colleges that had coed
: showers. How are these areas set up? Are they small bathrooms used only by
: residents of part of the dorm, or are they large locker rooms similar to
: ones in health clubs. I believe that there should be a publication that
: warns parents and students of dorms of this nature.

I think I've found someting that's similar to what you're describing...
Right now I'm in the summer session at the University at Stony Brook
(SUNY) and I've found something in my dorm building that, I guess, could
pass for a "co-ed" shower.

Each floor has a shower area that's for all the residents on that floor...
The floors are co-ed. Anyway, anyone, no matter what gender, can use the
shower area. It's only designed for one person, so whoever is using it
closes and locks the door. Of course each single-sex suite has a private
bathroom...

I also heard that at Columbia U., co-ed suites are available...

__
Tim! =8)

Kelvin Leung

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

SHO582616 (sho5...@aol.com) wrote:
: I have recently read in many newspapers that several colleges in the
: United States offer dorms with non-gender or coed bathrooms and even
: showers. I was surprised to see the colleges that offered this kind of
: living area. I was wondering if anyone knew of any colleges that had coed
: showers. How are these areas set up? Are they small bathrooms used only by
: residents of part of the dorm, or are they large locker rooms similar to
: ones in health clubs. I believe that there should be a publication that
: warns parents and students of dorms of this nature.

Well... may I ask you a silly question? How many bathrooms does your
family's house have? and do your dad, mom, brothers & sisters use the
same bathroom as you do? If so, how do you all share it? Coed bathroom
works the same way in college. The only difference, I think, is that you
might be brushing your teeth with someone who is not of your gender.

I lived in a co-ed house for a year.

Sincerely,
Kelvin

Melanie Baker

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

On May 30, 1996 01:18:37 in article <Re: Coed Showers>,

'Goo...@deltanet.com' wrote:

>Perhaps it's set up in such a way that the showers are coed, meaning any
>sex can use them, but it has to be all the same sex at one time WHEN they
>are being used.
>
>Gooshie

Actually, I spoke to a friend who frequents the college (his brother
attends) and
he mentioned something to the effect of "shower orgies" - I'm telling you,
Antioch
is a very liberal college!! :>

Iseult

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

My two cents...
Don't ever date anyone you share a bathroom with.
Nothing is worse than getting into a fight, slamming the door and then
running into them five minutes later while going to the bathroom /
showerin.

FaeryMaid

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Vassar, My soon-to-be Alma Mater, has coed showers at least in one dorm, I
know. It's set up like a locker room, with each shower stall
curtain-off-able. They do make parents and students aware of it.

terence

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Any stanford student can confirm that there are some bathrooms, girls and
men take the shower at the same time without any "block" between
them!

I read from a newspaper!
Some dorms, men and women are living in the same room!

SHO582616 (sho5...@aol.com) wrote:
: I have recently read in many newspapers that several colleges in the
: United States offer dorms with non-gender or coed bathrooms and even
: showers. I was surprised to see the colleges that offered this kind of
: living area. I was wondering if anyone knew of any colleges that had coed
: showers. How are these areas set up? Are they small bathrooms used only by
: residents of part of the dorm, or are they large locker rooms similar to
: ones in health clubs. I believe that there should be a publication that
: warns parents and students of dorms of this nature.

: Thanks

Taryn Jolynn Upchurch

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96
to terence

I'm a Stanford student, and this is the first I've heard of this. Sure,
there are co-ed bathrooms in some dorms, but there is generally some sort
of partition between the males and females (usualy, a rather substantial
one). Generally, most of the dorms/houses on-campus have separate
bathrooms and showers for men and women.

(I certainly wouldn't take a shower without any "block" between myself and
some random guy - sounds a little sketchy to me)

Taryn :)

terence

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

I read about this a few years ago from school newspaper. There was a
picture of bathroom of Stanford. Because all people faced "backward", I
cannot tell if they are women or men. But, just looking at the back, I
would say there were women and men mixing together taking shower without
any "block". Also, I heard one or two dorms, a man and a woman will live
in the same room.

I think it may be good idea for some people, but not me. I probably
cannot do anything but think ...

Maybe you can ask the adminstration to confirm about this. Anyway, I
don't think our newspaper will make sth up. But, this may only happen to
very few dorms in Stanford?! So, most students may not realize.

Taryn Jolynn Upchurch (ta...@voyager.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
: I'm a Stanford student, and this is the first I've heard of this. Sure,

: Taryn :)

: >
: >

Alan Coopersmith

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

|SHO582616 (sho5...@aol.com) wrote:
| I have recently read in many newspapers that several colleges in the
| United States offer dorms with non-gender or coed bathrooms and even
| showers. I was surprised to see the colleges that offered this kind of
| living area. I was wondering if anyone knew of any colleges that had coed
| showers. How are these areas set up? Are they small bathrooms used only by
| residents of part of the dorm, or are they large locker rooms similar to
| ones in health clubs. I believe that there should be a publication that
| warns parents and students of dorms of this nature.

The dorms here at U.C. Berkeley have had coed bathrooms for a number of
years - but the toilets and showers are all individual stalls with locked
doors (each shower stall has a shower area and a changing area), so other
than when you're doing something at the row of sinks you're rarely aware
that it's co-ed. (And yes - people are warned when taking dorm tours and
given the opportunity to choose a single-sex dorm, or a single-sex floor
in a co-ed dorm, but most everyone handles it maturely and it's no big deal.)

Alan Coopersmith al...@godzilla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
University of California, Berkeley or: al...@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Johnny Nguyen

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

Yep, Stanford does have coed showers. I think the UC school have 'em too.
I think it's cool.

Taryn Jolynn Upchurch

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

Where? I know that I haven't been to every dorm/house on campus, but I
think I'd remember if there were co-ed showers in a residence.
(Bathrooms, yes; showers, ???).

Taryn

Sitheron

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

With no partitions separating the boys and girls? Have you used? Tell us
more!