Retroactive Change to Financial Aid

yds

Feb 17, 2011, 9:19:51 PM2/17/11
My son transferred to other university for this Spring semester.
However, previous college changed the Financial Aid package for the
Fall of last year retroactively. We only realized it now, in February.
They reason it because our second kid studies abroad and we do not
qualify for sibling allowances. Subsequently they posted the
retroactive change of $6669 to our account. What can we do? Please
advise.

Steve Blank

Feb 18, 2011, 9:26:57 AM2/18/11
All financial aid offered is subject to change if the information on the
FAFSA is found to be incorrect.

Although the FAFSA doesn't specifically say so, the question asking
about the number in college applies only to siblings attending a college
that participates in the U.S. federal financial aid programs. Some
schools abroad do, but if his sibling attended one that doesn't
participate then your answer of two in college was incorrect.

You could appeal this to the first college on the grounds that you had
no way of knowing about this distinction and might not have attended
that school due to the higher cost, but it's a long-shot. Especially
since he is no longer a student there.

Steven B. Blank
College Financial Aid Consultants
29 Ives Hill Court