OXFORD, CAMBRIDGE, TRINITY DUBLIN- GOOD UNIVERSITIES???

John Jason- Leigh

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
I would like to hear any American comments regarding the
perceived academeic standing of the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge
and Trinity College, Dublin. Any vaidated comments would be most
appreciated regarding America's perception of these academic
institutions.

Kind Regards

John Jason-Leigh
Trinity College Dublin.

Mike Usher

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
John Jason- Leigh wrote:

> I would like to hear any American comments regarding the
> perceived academeic standing of the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge
> and Trinity College, Dublin. Any vaidated comments would be most
> appreciated regarding America's perception of these academic
> institutions.

I certainly don't claim to represent all American students, but I would say
that an education at Oxford or Cambridge would certainly rank right up there
in terms of reputation as would an education at Harvard or any ultra-elite
school stateside. I would tend to say that most other Americans would have
the same impression, but I'm really not sure if as many as half of all
American college students could even name any colleges/universities in the
British Isles other than Oxford and Cambridge. As for Trinity Dublin, though
I certainly do recognize the name, I'm a tad too ignorant about European
higher education to compare it in reputation to anywhere else either on the
British Isles or in the U.S.
As for general perceptions about the institutions, most Americans I think
would tend to regard Oxford, Cambridge, and Trinity as elitist symbols of
upper-class rule--much like Harvard, Princeton, or Yale but probably more
extreme. I've heard from one American student who was once considering going
to Oxford that it's aren't nearly as elitist as its reputation, though.
--Mike Usher

Chris Ulbrich

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
Speaking as someone who has attended St. Andrews and Oxford for a year
each, and American universities for 5 1/2 years, I think I can say with
some certainty that you wouldn't find 1 college student in a hundred who
has heard of Trinity. On the other hand, I expect that the student who
attended Trinity would have a brilliant experience, Dublin being what it
is. Oxford being what >it< is, I don't think that the same can be said.
I had a great academic experience, a miserable social one. And so far as
I could tell, most Americans in Oxford are miserable on both counts -
though it has to be said that for the most part, this is not >Oxford's<
fault.

-Chris

Jeff

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
I would like to hear any American comments regarding the
perceived academeic standing of the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge
and Trinity College, Dublin. Any vaidated comments would be most
appreciated regarding America's perception of these academic
institutions.

Kind Regards

John Jason-Leigh
Trinity College Dublin.

John, from what I hear, those universities are the best in their
respective countries, the best in Europe and among the best in the world.
They are all very good. As far as prestige/recognition go, the average
American, if he recognizes those names at all, would probably rank them
so: 1, Oxford; 2, Cambridge; 3, Trinity. I hope I have helped.

Christopher B. Stone

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
In article <fennelly-180...@fennelly.tiac.net>,
Jeff <fenn...@tiac.net> wrote:

>I would like to hear any American comments regarding the
>perceived academeic standing of the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge
>and Trinity College, Dublin. Any vaidated comments would be most
>appreciated regarding America's perception of these academic
>institutions.

In general, Cambridge is stronger in the natural sciences and Oxford in
the social sciences. This, however, is no doubt a generalization and much
depends on the individual college with which one is affiliated. I also
think that the admissions process to Oxford and Cambridge (i.e., an
entrance exam) is more logical and coherent than admissions to prestigious
American universities, as is the curriculum.

One can often take an undergraduate degree in three years because the
course of study is more far focused on one's field of specialization.
European universities don't buy into the sophistry that one will, say, be
able to make informed decisions about nuclear policy after taking a
required physics for poets class.

I particularly like the British arrangement of social science students
being able to take a degree in PPE. Politics and economics are too
closely related to fullly separate the two.
--
Chris Stone
cbs...@phoenix.princeton.edu * http://www.princeton.edu/~cbstone

John Jason-Leigh

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96

I would just like to thank all the American College students who
have been most helpful in describing the "American perception"
of the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Trinity College Dublin.
Your responses were most appreciated.

Many thanks

John Jason-Leigh.

Christopher B. Stone

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/20/96
In article <culbrich-170...@culbrich.hip.berkeley.edu>,
Chris Ulbrich <culb...@garnet.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>I think I can say with some certainty that you wouldn't find 1 college
>student in a hundred who has heard of Trinity.

I've certainly heard of it; I'm just not as familiar with academic
policies there. They are known for having a good debate team, though.

Message has been deleted

apri...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2015, 5:43:18 PM10/23/15
On Friday, April 12, 1996 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, John Jason- Leigh wrote:
> I would like to hear any American comments regarding the
> perceived academeic standing of the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge
> and Trinity College, Dublin. Any vaidated comments would be most
> appreciated regarding America's perception of these academic
> institutions.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> John Jason-Leigh
> Trinity College Dublin.

I am an American MPhil student at Trinity College Dublin pursuing an art history degree. Half the students in the course are American and judging from the American accents I hear all over campus I can tell you that Americans know and love Trinity. I've met students from all over the States there and its a blast... Ireland loves Americans. The location in gorgeous downtown Dublin is a a huge plus.