anyone there?

David V.

Sep 10, 2011, 10:16:19 AM9/10/11
Nothing has been posted here in a long time. Is USENET still alive?
--
Dave

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is
putting on its shoes."
Mark Twain

WangoTango

Sep 12, 2011, 5:48:14 PM9/12/11
In article <kNudnYF_9PeDWPfT...@sti.net>, sp...@hotmail.com
says...
> Nothing has been posted here in a long time. Is USENET still alive?

Alive and kicking, maybe not in THIS group, but that's the problem with
so many parallel interest groups. You either get a dying off or a (damn
near)complete mirroring.

David V.

Sep 13, 2011, 11:08:14 AM9/13/11
On 9/12/2011 2:48 PM, WangoTango wrote:
> In article says...
>> Nothing has been posted here in a long time. Is USENET still alive?
>>
> Alive and kicking, maybe not in THIS group, but that's the problem with
> so many parallel interest groups. You either get a dying off or a (damn
> near)complete mirroring.

I thought UseNet was pretty much dead. At least all the
newsgroups I posted to are dead.

WangoTango

Sep 17, 2011, 12:42:38 PM9/17/11
In article <jPCdnWDqubcyWvPT...@sti.net>, sp...@hotmail.com
says...
> On 9/12/2011 2:48 PM, WangoTango wrote:
> > In article says...
> >> Nothing has been posted here in a long time. Is USENET still alive?
> >>
> > Alive and kicking, maybe not in THIS group, but that's the problem with
> > so many parallel interest groups. You either get a dying off or a (damn
> > near)complete mirroring.
>
> I thought UseNet was pretty much dead. At least all the
> newsgroups I posted to are dead.

alt.atheism is pretty lively.

evolutionator

Sep 17, 2011, 12:50:49 PM9/17/11
"David V." <sp...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
I'm trying to understand how things work here too.

axlq

Sep 17, 2011, 12:54:06 PM9/17/11
David V. <sp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 9/12/2011 2:48 PM, WangoTango wrote:
>> In article says...
>>> Nothing has been posted here in a long time. Is USENET still alive?
>>>
>> Alive and kicking, maybe not in THIS group, but that's the problem with
>> so many parallel interest groups. You either get a dying off or a (damn
>> near)complete mirroring.
>
>I thought UseNet was pretty much dead. At least all the
>newsgroups I posted to are dead.

Some are alive and well. Of those I look at, talk.* doesn't seem
like it will ever go away (especially controversial ones like
talk.origins), and rec.* has some pretty lively groups.

-A

David V.

Sep 20, 2011, 6:18:16 PM9/20/11
On 9/17/2011 9:50 AM, evolutionator wrote:
> "David V."<sp...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On 9/12/2011 2:48 PM, WangoTango wrote:
>>> In article says...
>>>>
>>> Alive and kicking, maybe not in THIS group, but that's the problem with
>>> so many parallel interest groups. You either get a dying off or a (damn
>>> near)complete mirroring.
>>
>> I thought UseNet was pretty much dead. At least all the newsgroups I
>> posted to are dead.
>> --
>> Dave
>>
>> "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on
>> its shoes."
>> Mark Twain
>>
> I'm trying to understand how things work here too.

I know how they work, I just thought that UseNet had died out
when forums became more popular. I've been around UseNet since
the early 1990's.