Pew Forum religion survey

Todd N. Verklarung

Jun 25, 2008, 12:51:50 AM6/25/08
Lots of reporting on this. See, for example:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25334489/print/0/displaymode/1098

The most interesting (for this ng) quote:

'Another finding almost defies explanation: 21 percent of
self-identified atheists said they believe in God or a universal spirit,
with 8 percent "absolutely certain" of it.'

Any theories as to why this could be so? Or is it faulty surveying, like
mutually contradictory Q & A?

TnV

James Beck

Jun 25, 2008, 1:11:46 PM6/25/08
In article <Xns9AC7C3449D68...@216.196.97.142>,
NsOeS...@arsienne.calm says...

It has to be an anomaly of the survey system/questions.
How could someone that rejects the idea of gods also believe in a
personal or universal spirit.
Are not the two mutually exclusive?
Maybe, just maybe, the question was worded in such a manner that
Spinoza's "god" would be an acceptable answer. I have not seen the
survey questions, so all I can do is guess.......

Brian Edmonds

Jun 25, 2008, 1:13:25 PM6/25/08
"Todd N. Verklarung" <NsOeS...@arsienne.calm> writes:
> Any theories as to why this could be so? Or is it faulty surveying,
> like mutually contradictory Q & A?

Or just that people are stupid. I'd be unsurprised to find a number
of people self identifying as atheists because they're "mad at God"
for the state of their sad, little lives. I sometimes wonder if some
people wouldn't be happier in one of the pantheistic religions, such
as that of the Norse or Romans. At least there the gods were openly
vindictive bastards, whose sole interest in a "personal relationship"
with humans was limited to siring more vindictive bastards.

Brian.

dali_70

Jun 25, 2008, 4:22:52 PM6/25/08
I'd say it was probably a combination of poorly worded questions and
ignorance.

Wayne Mitchell

Jun 26, 2008, 12:26:27 PM6/26/08
"Todd N. Verklarung" <NsOeS...@arsienne.calm> wrote:

>'Another finding almost defies explanation: 21 percent of
>self-identified atheists said they believe in God or a universal spirit,
>with 8 percent "absolutely certain" of it.'
>
>Any theories as to why this could be so? Or is it faulty surveying, like
>mutually contradictory Q & A?

Not necessarily "faulty", but the survey does depend upon
self-identification. It can be no surprise that, in any category, some
of those who accept the label don't know what the definition or
parameters are. Among the religious sects, also, there were many who
identified with a particular sect, yet rejected some of the essential
teachings of that sect.
--

Wayne Mitchell