Earth and Moon

ernie.buenafe

Jan 30, 2023, 10:16:31 AM1/30/23
to soarabq
This image was taken by the Osiris Rex spacecraft from a distance of 3,000,000 miles from Earth. That’s about 12 times the distance to the Moon. The picture gives the true perspective of how far the Moon’s orbit is from the Earth. Looking at a full Moon on a clear night makes it seem a lot closer.
D25EEA14-6B3F-432B-A2D3-EBF2B75A4E6F.jpeg

Carris Mike

Jan 30, 2023, 1:13:02 PM1/30/23
to soa...@googlegroups.com
Egads! The stark reality of the emptiness of space.

On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 08:24:25 AM MST, ernie.buenafe <ernie....@gmail.com> wrote:

This image was taken by the Osiris Rex spacecraft from a distance of 3,000,000 miles from Earth. That’s about 12 times the distance to the Moon. The picture gives the true perspective of how far the Moon’s orbit is from the Earth. Looking at a full Moon on a clear night makes it seem a lot closer.

Terry Tombaugh

Jan 30, 2023, 1:25:41 PM1/30/23
to soa...@googlegroups.com
I haven't tried this myself but if you take calipers or a measuring stick with fine gradations such as millimeters, and measure the diameter of the Earth image and assume the measurement equals 8K, and then using a straight edge between the Earth and Moon, see how many of those caliper distances lie between the Earth and Moon then multiply that number by 8K and see how close it comes to ~240 K miles. I swear I do have useful things to do today...😜

--
Terry

Rocky Stone

Jan 30, 2023, 3:21:31 PM1/30/23
to soa...@googlegroups.com
It didn't work, Terry.  My assumption is that the camera wasn't perpendicular to the line between the Earth and the Moon.  So, in reality, even that displayed distance is too close!

image.png

Terry Tombaugh

Jan 30, 2023, 4:19:18 PM1/30/23
to soa...@googlegroups.com
Good point.  thanks for wasting your time. 😂

--
Terry