Obituary for Chris Thomas Pyle-and more info

Richard Shagam

Jan 25, 2023, 9:29:46 PM1/25/23
to ASA Soaring List

As you may have heard, Chris Pyle passed away just a few weeks ago. His daughter, Felicity Haugen sent me a link to his Obituary as well as some other information about Chris.  Felicity said that one of Chris's last wishes was to turn over his gliders and related materials to ASA for us to sell for the benefit of the club.  Don Kawal and I are currently sorting through his materials, including his glider collection, tools and supplies and will be  offering it for sale soon--possibly as soon as our next club meeting in Feb.  Stay tuned!

After reading the obit, I found that "SeaPea, we hardly knew ye!"
Regards, Richard the Treasurer (and CP sale coordinator)

From Felicity:
https://www.knoxnews.com/obituaries/kns054989

... here is my own post about him on facebook with pic attached.
It's been the longest and shortest two weeks of my life. My kind, funny, intelligent, quirky Dad left this earth on Sat 1/14. I had the highest honor of my life to be his caregiver and give him the gift of being home for exactly one week and was with him for his final moment in a body that was done functioning. He received a pancreatic cancer diagnosis on 1/8. He was a gracious host, considerate human, buyer of cheap toilet paper and expensive coffee (priorities!), big tipper and Dad-joke teller extraordinaire. His obit will tell more, but I want to start with a fave pic that I took in '08 when the two of us had a wk in Sedona...he always answered with Hey Kid...so I'll say Hey Dad, I love you and I'm thrilled you can be soaring thru the clouds now. Set this post to his theme song: Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd.

Dad Sedona 2008.jpg

Rocky Stone

Jan 25, 2023, 9:52:58 PM1/25/23
to soa...@googlegroups.com
Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd — attached

Pink Floyd - Learning to Fly.mp3

Carris Mike

Jan 25, 2023, 9:55:29 PM1/25/23
to soa...@googlegroups.com
I was very sad to hear of Chris's passing and will miss C.P.- Chris Pyle- Sea Pea.

I had the privilege of giving Chris his first flight of a full house glider, the Aether, which elated him when he saw how easy it was. He became a very good RC soaring pilot, a skilled designer and builder, and when I needed someone to build out my Simitri, Chris was the only one I thought of. We often shared stories about full scale soaring and Chris would relate his adventures as a hang glider pilot.

We lost a great guy.

Miss you Chris and where ever you are, wish you the very best.

Mike

PS Chris sent me the CAD files of his very unique 2 meter fuselage that he decided to make available to anyone as open resource.

Brian Kloft

Jan 26, 2023, 7:29:26 AM1/26/23
to soarabq
On top of what has been already said... I will miss chatting with Chris under the canopy with a nice breeze blowing talking about his scratch built design, aerodynamics, flying and thermals.

Safe journey my friend. You will be missed.

Brian