OpenCon 2014

Samantha Clark

Jul 28, 2014, 6:08:33 PM7/28/14
to openSNP Dev List
There's a new open research/access conference happening in Washington D.C., USA November 15-17 this year called "OpenCon".

Relevant snips (ha ha ha...):

"We’re thrilled that you’re interested in OpenCon 2014 and have some exciting updates to share!  First and most importantly, applications to attend OpenCon will open on Monday, August 4th, at 10:00 GMT and will remain open until Monday, August 25th, at 23:59 PDT (GMT - 7:00).

You’ll be able to find the application on the OpenCon homepage at opencon2014.org, and you’ll also receive an email reminder when applications go live.  The application will be relatively short, and you will be able to apply for a travel scholarship to attend OpenCon directly through the main application."

"Generation Open Grants: These grants of up to $1,000 per organization are available to support student and early career researcher-led events and awareness raising efforts during the 2014 International Open Access Week.  Planning actions during Open Access Week is a great way to get involved and to strengthen your application for OpenCon 2014.  Learn more about the program and apply for a grant here (applications due by August 18):
http://www.righttoresearch.org/act/oaweek/GoGrants."

"Finally, we’d love to hear your suggestions for keynotes, panels, and workshops at OpenCon 2014.  Please fill in the following link to make suggestions for the conference program:
http://www.righttoresearch.org/act/opencon/programsuggestions."

Thought it may be of interest to you for (applying for a travel grant OR organization grant OR suggesting an openSNP presentation). Not XOR, obviously. :)

Cheers,

Samantha

Bastian Greshake

Jul 28, 2014, 7:46:46 PM7/28/14
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great, I'm all for submitting a proposal and travel grant. I would also be willing to go. ;)

--
Sent from a mobile device

// Bastian Greshake
// Zehnthofstrasse 36
// 55252 Mainz-Kastel

Philipp Bayer

Aug 3, 2014, 7:41:48 PM8/3/14
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
There's also the Open Science Codefest in September in Santa Barbara: http://nceas.github.io/open-science-codefest/

If anyone's around there by then...

Philipp Bayer

Aug 3, 2014, 10:12:51 PM8/3/14
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Just remembered: if it all works out I'll present openSNP at the Open Science Night in Sydney at the end of October, just a 5 minutes live-demo, no slides required. Not sure if there will be videos...

Bastian Greshake

Aug 4, 2014, 2:27:49 AM8/4/14
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I just checked my calendar and saw I won't be able to make it even if we get a travel grant. I still think it would be a cool conference to attend. Is someone of you up for it?

Cheers,
Bastian

On 28.07.2014, at 22:08, Samantha Clark <iov...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bastian Greshake

Aug 4, 2014, 2:28:09 AM8/4/14
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Nice, best of luck! How did you end up there?

Philipp Bayer

Aug 4, 2014, 2:30:40 AM8/4/14
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
I'll help teach a Software Carpentry boot camp on that weekend - and Alex Holcombe (@ceptional) organizes both boot camp and night, so it was pretty 'naheliegend'

Bastian Greshake

Aug 4, 2014, 2:38:13 AM8/4/14
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Cool, then best of luck for both of it. Anything special for the SW boot camp?

Philipp Bayer

Aug 4, 2014, 2:52:36 AM8/4/14
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
the boot camp is just a 'usual' boot camp, this time with psychology students... last week here in Brisbane was mostly with biologists