up and running with openSNP - .ruby-version file?

Robert Sullivan

Apr 27, 2016, 4:33:14 PM4/27/16
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bastian and friends,

Hope you’ve been well, Bastian, since Mozilla Science Lab and congratulations all on GSOC.

I forked openSNP today to see if there’s anything I can help with and became stuck getting up and running using rvm, which I’ve not used before. Plus I’m a bit of a Ruby newbie so this is a good exercise.

So anyway back to rvm. After installing it I was waiting to see something when cd’ing into the snpr directory and after some Googling saw that rvm uses the .ruby-gemset and .ruby-version files. However I couldn’t see a .ruby-version file in the master branch.

I saw the commit adding .ruby-version and .ruby-gemset and removing the old .rmvrc https://github.com/openSNP/snpr/commit/b22821461af6399041b351ece9112876e3512a2b#diff-0d75b3c58057105d6c02c1fd3827050d

and see the file here

https://github.com/openSNP/snpr/blob/b22821461af6399041b351ece9112876e3512a2b/.ruby-version

but not on the master branch. Should there be one?

I went ahead and created my own .ruby-version adding ruby-2.0.0-p247 as the only line, and following the rest of the steps and I’m delighted to have openSNP running on localhost:3000!

Can't wait to dig around some more.

Best,

Robert

--
Robert Sullivan
07814229546

Helge Rausch

Apr 28, 2016, 3:52:41 AM4/28/16
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com

Hi Robert,

that's a very good question. I created an Issue so we can discuss this there (you are invited to participate) and have this on record in the repository:

https://github.com/openSNP/snpr/issues/280

Cheers,

Helge

signature.asc

Bastian Greshake

Apr 28, 2016, 4:09:33 AM4/28/16
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hey Robert,
thanks for getting in touch. Things have been great since the MSL Meeting in Berlin. Still recovering from going to FORCE in Portland though.

With openSNP you’ve chosen a rather hard first Ruby/Rails thing to get it up and running I’d say. So congratulations! For the discussion about whether one should have a ruby-version specified I’d follow the lead of Helge, but there doesn’t need to be one in principle. I’m personally running my dev with 2.2.2 I think.

Cheers,
Bastian

--
mobile phone +49 176 213 044 66

While I may be sending this email outside my normal office hours, I have no expectation to receive a reply outside yours.

Robert Sullivan

Apr 28, 2016, 9:14:55 AM4/28/16
to openSNP: development & operation, he...@rausch.io
Thanks, Helge, I will look more into the advantages and disadvantages and see what I can find and update the issue you created.

Cheers

Robert Sullivan

Apr 28, 2016, 11:20:26 AM4/28/16
to openSNP: development & operation
Hey Bastian,

yes FORCE looked good.

There were a few steps extra required on a mac (like create a superuser in postgres so db:setup ran and then run bundle install) but all-in-all a good experience of getting up and running. So congratulations back atcha for making it smooth.

Will look into .ruby-version a bit more and add any comments to the github issue.

Cheers,

Robert

Bastian Greshake

Apr 28, 2016, 11:29:10 AM4/28/16
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Oh, thanks! If you find the time you could document the extra steps needed for Mac OS that would be great (it’s been so long that I set up my machine)!

Cheers,
Bastian

--
mobile phone +49 176 213 044 66

While I may be sending this email outside my normal office hours, I have no expectation to receive a reply outside yours.

Robert Sullivan

Apr 29, 2016, 7:17:36 AM4/29/16
to openSNP: development & operation
Sure, will be happy to document the extra steps.