Bioinformatics Open Source Conference

Bastian Greshake

Mar 13, 2015, 4:56:49 PM3/13/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,
on 10/11th of July there is the Bioinformatics Open Source Conference taking place in Dublin: http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2015
It’s a special interest group meeting just before the ISMB/ECCB. And before that there is also the OpenBio Codefest: http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Codefest_2015

I think I will go in any case, but the call for abstracts is open until April 3rd, so we could also submit openSNP there. For session topics they have “open science and reproducible research”, which could be an okay fit, as could be “translational bioinformatics”.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Bastian
signature.asc

Philipp Bayer

Mar 16, 2015, 11:53:24 AM3/16/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
"Open science" would be a good session to hold, maybe even just a
lightning talk if it doesn't work out - it looks like we still have
about 2-3 weeks for submission, make a pad? Or re-cycle an old
abstract and update many details?
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "SNPr development" group. To unsubscribe from this
> group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
> snpr-developme...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:snpr-developme...@googlegroups.com>. To post to
> this group, send email to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com>. Visit this group at
> visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Bastian Greshake

Mar 16, 2015, 12:10:33 PM3/16/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Here’s a pad for writing the abstract. I did give some basic information and copied the abstract we used for the PhD Symposium I attended in Dublin in 2012 or so and where we also got a talk. ;-)

Cheers,
Bastian

signature.asc

Bastian Greshake

Mar 17, 2015, 4:41:02 AM3/17/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I did a first draft of the abstract. It’s now a lot less technical and focusses more on the things we already achieved. Comments (or even better): Fixes right in the pad would be appreciated. :-)

Cheers,
Bastian

On 16 Mar 2015, at 16:53, Philipp Bayer <phili...@gmail.com> wrote:

signature.asc

Philipp Bayer

Mar 17, 2015, 7:57:37 AM3/17/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Great, I've changed some minor things and shortened it a tiny little
bit, I think it's good to go?

On 17.03.2015 09:40, Bastian Greshake wrote:
> Okay, I did a first draft of the abstract. It’s now a lot less
> technical and focusses more on the things we already achieved.
> Comments (or even better): Fixes right in the pad would be
> appreciated. :-)
>
> here’s the link again:
> https://gedankenstuecke.piratenpad.de/bosc2015-abstract
>
> Cheers, Bastian
>
>> On 16 Mar 2015, at 16:53, Philipp Bayer <phili...@gmail.com

Bastian Greshake

Mar 17, 2015, 8:31:05 AM3/17/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
I rechanged some parts. As written in the pad: A while back I met the guy who is now doing the Science Creative Commons-Stuff. And he scolded me in no uncertain terms about our use of “Creative Commons Zero License”, because it’s not a license, but a public domain dedication. So we should stop saying license to it. ;-)

Otherwise I agree that it’s virtually good to go. Julia told me that she doesn’t have any affiliation we could list. What about you, Helge?

Cheers,
Bastian
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to snpr-developme...@googlegroups.com.
signature.asc

Philipp Bayer

Mar 17, 2015, 8:31:53 AM3/17/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
aaah OK, I understand, good to change back :)

Philipp

Helge Rausch

Mar 19, 2015, 3:30:25 AM3/19/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Looks good to me. Affiliation would be my Hochschule or something like
that? I'm not sure they have anything to do with it, do they? ;) Are
there any rules for this?

Cheers,
Helge

On 17.03.2015 13:31, Bastian Greshake wrote:
--
XMPP+OTR: helge....@jabber.ccc.de
Threema: TXFZ3MFV

signature.asc

Bastian Greshake

Mar 19, 2015, 3:31:31 AM3/19/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Yes, usually it would be your university etc. If you’re not enrolled you could give your employer if you have one and can work on his time on the project. If you’re a freelancer and have no affiliation that would be fine as well. :-)

Cheers,
Bastian
signature.asc

Helge Rausch

Mar 19, 2015, 3:39:33 AM3/19/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Since I'm not at university anymore and my employer would probably
rather not see me working on the project on his time, I don't have any
affiliation either, I guess. (sadpanda)
signature.asc

Bastian Greshake

Mar 19, 2015, 4:07:09 AM3/19/15
to snpr-dev...@googlegroups.com
Okay :-) I submitted the abstract now. Funny enough: Your submission ID number is 1.

:D

Cheers,
Bastian
signature.asc