Best practices for tracking progress through a sign up flow

dweitz...@managedbyq.com

Sep 2, 2015, 1:24:16 PM9/2/15
to Snowplow
Hi,
I'm setting up event tracking for a pretty standard, multi-step signup flow, and I'm wondering if there are recommended best practices, or if anyone feels like sharing how they've done it with Snowplow.
Our signup flow happens via Ajax, so I can't just use trackPageView.  My initial thought is to use trackStructEvent to track clicks on the 'Submit' buttons at each step of flow.  That has the added benefit of tracking how many form errors the user experiences at each step - if they click the same submit n times, they've likely had n-1 form errors.  And in the future, if we wanted to record the form data with the click, we could add a custom context to the event.

In general, do people use trackStructEvent for button clicks?
Is there a better way to track progress through the signup flow?
Are there any resources describing best practices here?

Thanks,
Dan

dweitz...@managedbyq.com

Sep 2, 2015, 1:32:42 PM9/2/15
to Snowplow
I just saw form_tracking.  That would probably make the most sense.  But it doesn't look like it's possible to include a custom context with auto-fired submit_form events, is that right?  We have a 'token' that uniquely identifies the signup, and I was planning to use a custom context to include the token with all sign up flow events.

Bernardo Srulzon

Sep 2, 2015, 1:37:24 PM9/2/15
to Snowplow
We use both structured events and form tracking at GetNinjas.

Structured events: we have two steps on an Ajax form, so we use events to track clicks and validation status on the "next" and "submit" buttons. It looks something like this: event_category='form', event_action='submit_clicked', event_label='first_step/valid'. We also pass the user id to the event_property field.

Form tracking: we use the excellent from tracking feature from the JS tracker (see docs) - it does two things: (1) captures any changes to the form (e.g. filling out the first field) so you can see where the users are dropping out, (2) captures clicks on the submit button and full form content.

Alex Dean

Sep 2, 2015, 1:59:54 PM9/2/15
to Snowplow
Hi Dan - correct, you can't currently include a custom context with an auto-fired submit_form event. It's something we have been mulling for the next JS Tracker release - please add any thoughts to that ticket!

https://github.com/snowplow/snowplow-javascript-tracker/issues/405

Co-founder
Snowplow Analytics
The Roma Building, 32-38 Scrutton Street, London EC2A 4RQ, United Kingdom
+44 (0)203 589 6116
+44 7881 622 925
@alexcrdean

dweitz...@managedbyq.com

Sep 2, 2015, 2:05:24 PM9/2/15
to Snowplow
Thanks Alex and Bernardo.  We will probably do exactly what Bernardo is doing, then, so that we get form events, but can also include the signup token with the structured events on click.