Airbnb's Caravel - the perfect complement to Snowplow?

Robert Kingston

Apr 3, 2016, 11:03:51 PM4/3/16
to Snowplow
Hi guys,

Airbnb recently open-sourced their BI tool, Caravel. It runs on top of Python / Flask / SQLAlchemy / NVD3:

Note: It doesn't work with Redshift ... yet. However, they're currently working on adding support for Redshift's schema here (right now they're about to merge this pull request):

As you can see - very fresh.  Anyway, just thought you guys might find this worth following - we're certainly excited by this.

Cheers,
Rob

tobias...@justwatch.com

Apr 4, 2016, 4:51:31 AM4/4/16
to Snowplow
Hi,

thanks for sharing this, I thought about setting this up too. It looks really promising and I thought it would work out of the box, because they support postgres. But than I wait for the PR to be merged.

Christophe Bogaert

Apr 4, 2016, 12:59:45 PM4/4/16
to Snowplow
Thanks for sharing Rob! This looks promising.

Christophe

Snowplow Analytics
The Roma Building, 32-38 Scrutton Street, London EC2A 4RQ, United Kingdom
+44 (0) 203 589 6116
+44 (0) 7598 006 851

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:51 AM, <tobias...@justwatch.com> wrote:
Hi,

thanks for sharing this, I thought about setting this up too. It looks really promising and I thought it would work out of the box, because they support postgres. But than I wait for the PR to be merged.

Robert Kingston

Apr 4, 2016, 5:31:05 PM4/4/16
to Snowplow
No probs guys.

If you want to start using it now before Redshift/PostgreSQL are fully supported. I suggest you create a user with the same username as the schema you want to query from. That will set the search path properly: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_search_path.html

Secondly, you may like to use the redshift+psycopg2 flavour/engine: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/redshift-sqlalchemy

tobias...@justwatch.com

Apr 5, 2016, 4:32:10 AM4/5/16
to Snowplow
It was merged today, so I guess I wait for the next version and than try it out with full support.