Kabuo Miyamoto

talon.c...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2016, 11:24:04 PM4/17/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
This question isn't so much about the message of the story as it is about Kabuo. In the very first lines of the book, Guterson describes him as sitting
"proudly upright with a rigid grace", that he'd detached himself from his own trial, that he "did not appear moved at all". Judging solely by the description about Kabuo in the first two pages, if you were sitting in on his trial would you predict that he was innocent or guilty and why?

Dani Brady

Apr 17, 2016, 11:39:55 PM4/17/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I think this description could definitely be interpreted either way, and that might have been the point. My first instinct when I started the book was that he was innocent. I think the word "grace" is what swayed me more than anything, because the other words like "proudly" and "rigid" aren't very innocent sounding descriptions, but when paired with grace they were conveyed differently.
I think I also took it as him knowing that he is innocent of this crime but was resigned to the fact that for various reasons he would probably be convicted and there was nothing he could do about it, so at least he could remain strong and to be very cliche "keep his dignity/pride intact."

Katarina Hunt

Apr 17, 2016, 11:40:08 PM4/17/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
Based on Guterson's desriptions by him not appeared moved at all by the trial and "proudly upright with a rigid grace", it would seem to me that he knew he was guilty so he wouldn't try to get out of the situation. Sitting in the room i would think he was entirely guilty and he knew everyone in the room knew it.

Katarina Hunt

Apr 17, 2016, 11:54:28 PM4/17/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
That is another way of thinking about it. Before reading your comment I only thought, yes Kabuo is probably guilty with his attitude towards the trial and the evidence found even if there was some racial judgments during it. Now i think that by the way the author described Kabuo in the book, he most likely was trying to keep strong, knowing he was innocent, and knowing his family (hatsue) was watching.

Katie Wallace

Apr 18, 2016, 12:30:26 AM4/18/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
In my opinion, I would interpret his behavior as innocent. If it were me, I would take pride in knowing that I was innocent, I would be more confident knowing I was innocent. If I were guilty, I'd probably take a look of guilt and defeat. (Sorry if this is a bit confusing, it's hard to put into words)
Message has been deleted

Katarina Hunt

Apr 18, 2016, 12:51:05 AM4/18/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I think it could be interpreted both ways because knowing me and many others, I would feel nervous and scared for the results of me being guilty even if I wasn't guilty because I never did such a horrible thing so fright would take over, knowing I never expected to be even accused but on the other note, I could look prideful knowing I was innocent, like you said, and as Kabuo has been acting and seen. I think Guterson purposely wants us to think it could be either way to decide for ourselves whether we think Kabuo is guilty or innocent, testing us , trying to make us the jury.

Veronica Richards

Apr 18, 2016, 7:24:20 PM4/18/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
yeah I agree with what everyone is mostly saying, it could be taken either way. My first thought was guilty and I'm not sure why because generally if one was guilty they would be more nervous and afraid, but the way the author describes him and how he was acting kind of made him seem cocky, so I didn't like him as much at first and decided it seemed like he was guilty.

Dani Brady

Apr 18, 2016, 11:51:39 PM4/18/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I really love being able to hear and understand everyone else's point of view on this because it gives a more versatile look on the situation. I like that everyone has interpreted it differently because I'm fairly certain that the author left is very vague and ambiguous up through now on purpose for this very reason.

lydiag...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2016, 12:04:13 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I think the fact that 'rigid' and 'grace' were used right next to each other was very interesting, because that kind of creates an oxymoron. I would think that he was innocent, because he appeared very calm and collected, not like how you would imagine someone guilty to sit.

Dani Brady

Apr 19, 2016, 12:06:55 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
My thoughts exactly, Lydia. The specific word choice was what swayed me in my first impression, too.

torrie56910

Apr 19, 2016, 12:48:29 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I think that by doing this the reader could also be trying to fool us. With the way that that makes him appear innocent, the writer could have been trying to make us believe one thing from the beginning in order to sway or opinions and thoughts while we read the book.

torrie56910

Apr 19, 2016, 12:50:03 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I agree with this. I think that the cockiness could be a front that he is putting on to try and make himself seem less guilty and like he didn't do it, but what it could actually be doing is making him seem fake; which could lead you to believe that he is guilty.

Veronica Richards

Apr 19, 2016, 12:51:05 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
@lydia I was thinking that but I couldn't figure out how to word it! It surprised me enough to make me think about the wording more than if he had only used one of the words, or used them separately. If he's sitting with a rigid grace it makes me wonder if he's uncomfortable but sure of himself or something else..?

torrie56910

Apr 19, 2016, 12:52:34 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I think that because his family was watching Kabau could have been acting differently if he is guilty. If he did actually kill someone that would be a huge tragedy for his family who had lived and trusted him for so long and it would completely ruin the trust that they have towards him. I think it will be interesting to see how he acts throughout the rest of the trial and see if by his behavior that is any hint towards him being guilty or not.

torrie56910

Apr 19, 2016, 12:54:16 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I think I would behave the same way. It is much easier when you are innocent to show the facts and be proud in yourself because you know that you have done nothing wrong. When you are guilty of something you usually act more antsy and things get all jumbled because you are trying to hide things that you did.

torrie56910

Apr 19, 2016, 12:57:06 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I can't decide whether or not I think that he is guilty. I think that all of these things that you brought up are great points, but if I were to be convicted of a crime I didn't do, I think that I would try to do everything possible to get out of jail and not be convicted instead of just giving up and thinking that there is nothing more I can do until I had gone through all of my options. Especially since in kabaus position he would be loosing his family.

Veronica Richards

Apr 19, 2016, 1:05:06 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
This is improbable but maybe he is guilty but he knows he's going to get off as innocent?

torrie56910

Apr 19, 2016, 1:07:21 AM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
That would be an interesting way to take the book. I would want to see how the authors would make it so that after the trial we were able to know that he is guilty and then see how he copes with the guilt of killing a man and then going back to normal life with his family.

Jessica Papenfuss

Apr 19, 2016, 3:15:50 PM4/19/16
to Snow Falling on Cedars - AP Lang
I think that the combination of "rigid" and "grace" give us some insight into Kabuo's upbringing and culture. Like others have said he has possibly accepted the fact that he will be found guilty and therefore be hung for the crime. This acceptance made me think of the kamikaze fighters of Japan that bombed Pearl Harbor. They accepted that they would die completing their mission. This makes me think that this acceptance of fate is simply a naturally ingrained part of Japanese culture.