Lectures by Christian Maes on "Introduction to Nonequilibrium Calorimetry"

Urna Basu

Nov 13, 2022, 3:24:43 AM11/13/22
to snbncbs-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Professor Christian Maes,  Institute for  Theoretical Physics of KU Leuven, Belgium, will deliver two Lectures
on the topic "Introduction to Nonequilibrium Calorimetry" at the SN Bose Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata.
The lectures will be in hybrid mode and are primarily aimed at Master and PhD students.

The schedule of the lectures is indicated below.

Date                    Time                    Venue
----------              -------------           ------------
15-11-2022              15:00 – 16:30           Fermion Hall
17-11-2022              15:00 – 16:30           Fermion Hall

Meeting link: https://meet.google.com/ugd-ktqm-gvt

The outline of the lectures is given below as ready reference.

Introduction to Nonequilibrium Calorimetry
The main topic concerns thermal properties of steady nonequilibria.  In
a first lecture, we start by reminding us of the Laws of Thermodynamics
and how the Gibbs formalism implements that.  Turning to nonequilibria,
we describe a setup where we use Markov processes under the condition of local detailed balance. We define what we mean by a quasistatic transformation and what we can mean by excess heat.  There enters the quasipotential in terms of which the heat capacity can be defined for a nonequilibrium system.  It turns out that the excess heat is a covariance between the quasipotential and the pseudopotential, the latter governing the static fluctuations. In  the second lecture, we start with some examples for computing nonequilibrium heat capacities and we discuss major characteristics, including an extension of the Nernst Postulate (Third Law).

All are welcome.

Urna Basu
SN Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences

Urna Basu

Nov 15, 2022, 3:59:02 AM11/15/22
to snbncbs-...@googlegroups.com

This is gentle reminder for today's lecture

Urna Basu

Nov 17, 2022, 3:49:44 AM11/17/22
to snbncbs-...@googlegroups.com

This is a gentle reminder for the last lecture of the series today.