Snarl 5.0

Chris

Jul 6, 2016, 6:43:34 PM7/6/16
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com, snarl-de...@googlegroups.com

After quite a lengthy hiatus, development on Snarl has restarted in earnest, and there are major changes afoot.

The primary change is that Snarl is being redeveloped in C# (.net 4.5). The significance of this is huge: we're moving to a current, modern language which supports functionality out-of-the-box that had to previously be manually developed in VB. This will make Snarl more reliable, quicker, and easier to develop for, and we'll be able to add new features faster.

Currently, code is already in place to handle Win32 registrations and some elements of SNP 3.0. Support for everything from SNP 1.0 to SNP/HTTP will also be added, as will extra features such as SNP over HTTPS. Management of Snarl will remain web-based (parts of the admin console are already coded), and this will also move to HTTPS over time.

At the moment, on-screen displays (OSDs) will continue to be handled by VB6 as a small proxy application controlled by the master C# application. This means that all intelligence lives within the C# application, with only the final on-screen display handled by VB6 code.

There will be a lot more focus on the use of Snarl within an enterprise so you can expect better management of Snarl on end devices as well.

Follow the news updates at http://snarl.fullphat.net/ for more...

Chris
full phat products
http://getsnarl.info