Pidginsnarl installation Problems

K. Bryan

Apr 27, 2017, 4:06:40 PM4/27/17
to Snarl Discussion
Hi, I am trying to install Snarl for Pidgin, but am running into some issues.  I followed the instructions on this page:

https://www.tlhan-ghun.de/docs/PidginSnarl/manualInstallation/index.html

1. Installed Pidgin, opened it up, all was good.  Then closed it.
2. Installed Snarl v5
    Ran snarlOSD-setup
    Ran Snarl.exe
3. Installed PidginSnarl 2.0
4. Opened Pidgin and checked the box for PidginSnarl 2.0
    But the Configure Plugin button is grayed out

Right clicked on Snarl and choose Settings
Clicked on Applications currently registered with Snarl and Pidgin is not among them, which I guess is why I can't configure it.

I followed all of the instructions, even for the manual install.  This is on a Windows 7 Pro PC.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

SvenWal

Apr 27, 2017, 4:08:34 PM4/27/17
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I'll check tomorrow if current Pidgin works - but the configure button is always greyed out as the only confit is done within Snarl. Maybe Snarl 5 is the problem. I'll keep you updated

Sven Walther

Apr 28, 2017, 2:40:48 AM4/28/17
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

I've just checked with current version of Pidgin (2.12.0) and PidginSnarl works as expected when using Snarl 4. When trying with current development release of Snarl 5 it does not work. As Snarl 5 is in early development I am not sure if this expected and will be fixed within Snarl of if PidginSnarl needs to be changed

chri...@fullphat.net

Apr 29, 2017, 2:57:31 AM4/29/17
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

I can't remember how PidginSnarl works - is it an extension?  If so, then - correct - R5.0 doesn't yet support 3rd party extensions, but it will do.

Ideally, 3rd parties will rewrite their extensions to support the new R5.0 API, but we don't have that defined just yet. :)

SvenWal

Apr 29, 2017, 3:10:00 AM4/29/17
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
It's a plugin of Pidgin so it from Snarl it's an app using the API. As it uses the C library there might be an issue there as it might do something "wrong" or unexpected but to be honest C knowledge is very limited (still proud I got PidginSnarl to work at all ;))

chri...@fullphat.net

Apr 29, 2017, 11:02:45 AM4/29/17
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Lol!

In that case it should work fine without any mods.  I'm a bit unsure about the "configure" button though - can you send me a screenshot?  I'll try to get it installed and see what's what.  Does it generate any debug output in Pidgin?