Windows Notification for Snarl (x86, x64) v1.1.0.6

Joy

Feb 26, 2013, 1:08:56 PM2/26/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
New version of Windows Notification for Snarl
A Redirection application for Snarl.

Application is attached in zip file.

No need to install C Run-time Library or .NET Framework.
Just unzip the files and place it in somewhere on your hard disk.

Please see the readme.txt for changes and detail information.

Note: If no bug is reported, this is the final version. :)

Thanks.
Sym Joy
Windows_Notification_for_Snarl_v1.1.0.6.zip

Joy

Feb 26, 2013, 1:22:45 PM2/26/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
@Chris, can you update the version at sourceforge.net.

Thanks.

M^3

Feb 27, 2013, 9:45:20 AM2/27/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sym Joy!  I look forward to trying it out.

Chris

Mar 3, 2013, 12:42:46 PM3/3/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Will do - sorry for the delay...

On 26 Feb 2013, at 18:22, Joy <sym...@gmail.com> wrote:

@Chris, can you update the version at sourceforge.net.

Thanks.

Joy

Mar 4, 2013, 10:15:31 PM3/4/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris.

Chris

Mar 8, 2013, 12:27:41 PM3/8/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

Joy

Mar 8, 2013, 12:41:24 PM3/8/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,
I just found out a bug regarding settings not loaded correctly on start-up and reverting to defaults every time the application starts.

Let me fix it and upload a new version.

Thanks.

Chris

Mar 8, 2013, 3:24:53 PM3/8/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
No probs

Joy

Mar 10, 2013, 12:34:23 AM3/10/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Updated Windows Notification for Snarl v1.1.0.7

Please see the attached files.

--
Best regards,
Joy

Windows_Notification_for_Snarl_v1.1.0.7.zip

Chris

Mar 12, 2013, 9:42:44 AM3/12/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Uploaded!

<Windows_Notification_for_Snarl_v1.1.0.7.zip>

Joy

Mar 18, 2013, 11:41:53 PM3/18/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Updated Windows Notification for Snarl v1.1.0.8

Changes:
1. Added Keep Alive, so that Snarl will not unregister automatically.
2. Fixed occasional crashing of the explorer.exe process.

For more details please see the included readme.txt in the attached zip file.

--
Best regards,
Sym Joy

WindowsNotification_for_Snarl_v1.1.0.8.zip

M^3

Mar 19, 2013, 8:28:47 PM3/19/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
is there a recommended way to exit the active version before an upgrade?  Currently I kill the task in process hacker or use pskill.  I don't remember seeing anything about this in the docs, please correct me if I am wrong?  I didn't check to see if I can exit it from Snarl's application manager.  I'm at home right now on Linux, I haven't ponied up the microsoft tax on my new PC yet.

Joy

Mar 19, 2013, 8:32:51 PM3/19/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
This will work or you can go to Snarl Application manager->Windows Notification Config->Unload

Either way it will cleanup the hooks.

--
Best regards,
Sym Joy

Chris

Mar 20, 2013, 2:51:08 AM3/20/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Why've you added the keep-alive flag?

Chris

<WindowsNotification_for_Snarl_v1.1.0.8.zip>

Joy

Mar 20, 2013, 4:21:33 AM3/20/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Snarl unregisters the application even though it's running which renders the notification redirection system useless.

Consider the following,

--
Best regards,
Sym Joy

Chris

Mar 20, 2013, 4:23:39 AM3/20/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Really?

It shouldn't! And it doesn't on my system.  I wonder if this is the same issue the other poster was having?

Joy

Mar 20, 2013, 4:37:31 AM3/20/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't because I had logic implemented to register regardless of the internal variable check when a balloon message is generated.
Which works from v1.1.0.6.

But it's lags the redirection system, so I have keep-alive flag implemented from current version.

--
Best regards,
Sym Joy

Chris

Mar 20, 2013, 2:51:36 PM3/20/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  I'm not sure why you're facing this issue but I'll go with it. :-)

To be clear: if your application persists (that is, the PID that registers with Snarl keeps running), then you should not need (or use) the keep-alive flag.

Future versions of Snarl may offer the user the option to disable use of this flag so it's best to follow the guidelines wherever possible.

:-)

M^3

Mar 20, 2013, 7:38:23 PM3/20/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Don't the windows redirected notifications come from the hooked application? (Different PIDs) I thought that was the way Mr. Joy explained his workaround for the call-back issue, do I remember wrong?   I know I'm being lazy in not re-reading the thread . . .

Joy

Mar 20, 2013, 11:32:19 PM3/20/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Updated Windows Notification for Snarl v1.1.0.9

Changes:
1. Removed keep-alive flag.
2. Some GUI changes and optimizations.

Please see the included readme.txt file in attached zip file for more details.

@M^3
Let me explain a bit how the current hooking logic works in TrayHook.dll
On start it hooks to explorer.exe SystemTray instance, exclusively Shell_TrayWnd (Window). When an application request a balloon message to be displayed, the request comes to Shell_TrayWnd. The hooks intercepts the request, process it, redirects it to Snarl and re-redirect any related notification event to the original application.

The PID TrayHook uses to register itself is originally belong to explorer.exe, however this should stay constant for a life time of a user session. But exception can occur if for some reason explorer crashed, closed or forcefully terminated. If the explorer.exe is closed, than the TrayHook will be unloaded automatically and on restart it will re-register it self with Snarl. But unfortunately I don't know why Snarl thinks it's an orphaned app and unregisters it.

Hence the uses of keep-alive flag, but now removed on advice from Chris.

--
Best regards,
Sym Joy

Chris

Mar 21, 2013, 2:57:02 AM3/21/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Good point - and I did wonder if that was the case after I posted.  I'm being lazy as well - will re-read original thread...

Chris

Mar 21, 2013, 3:01:27 AM3/21/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks for the update and explanation. If Snarl is unregistering trayhelper unexpectedly then we need to figure out why, but please do use the keep-alive flag as a tactical fix in the meantime if that works for you.

As I say, I've not seen the issue personally but I'll do some testing with this version and see if I can get it to happen for me.

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

<WindowsNotification_for_Snarl_v1.1.0.9.zip>

Joy

Mar 24, 2013, 12:49:14 AM3/24/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Actually trayhelper does not registers with Snarl, trayhook does and it resides in explorer.exe memory. As it intercepts any windows balloon message it's important that it should be displayed to user. That's why I've taken your advice and removed keep-alive (if a user opted out of that option, notification may fail to display). The current logic is working fine, very very small delay, which I think is negligible. Also if all else fails it will revert to showing windows default balloon message as a precaution :)

Completely off-topic, is there any possibility of a Windows 8 based display style in Snarl? I'm not much of a designer my self (Currently trying to implement the Windows 8 Toast notification) But it limits the displayable text to 3 lines and requires a shortcut in the Start screen.

Thanks.
Sym Joy

Chris

Mar 24, 2013, 4:51:50 AM3/24/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
All sounds good then!

Crested a new topic to discuss Windows 8 toasts! :-)

Joy

Mar 24, 2013, 10:04:33 AM3/24/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Nice :)

Joy

Jun 6, 2013, 7:03:50 PM6/6/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting the issue. I'll take a look soon.

Regards,
Sym Joy

On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:37:41 PM UTC+6, Noesis wrote:
I have a small issue with the desktop or task-bar getting the active window focus whenever a snarl notification generated by Windows Notification 1.1.0.9 disappears (also happened with 1.1.0.6 and presumably versions in between)

It doesn't happen with any other snarl notification types, only the ones being intercepted and displayed with this app.  Additionally it can't be reproduced by replaying notifications of this type from within snarl but it happens every time an actual windows notification is generated and displayed by snarl then upon the notification disappearing, the currently active window will always lose focus and as I said earlier presumably it is the desktop or task-bar getting the focus (it isn't any other "regular" window).

Not sure if it is only me with this issue or not but figured I'd let you know.

Despite this, thanks heaps for this app, it is a greatly needed addition for Snarl IMHO, even with this slightly annoying behaviour.

Joy

Jun 9, 2013, 3:12:40 AM6/9/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Here is new version of TrayHook.dll

Try this one hopefully it will fix the active application lose focus bug.

Regards,
Sym Joy
TrayHook 1.1.0.10.7z

Joy

Jun 9, 2013, 3:48:20 AM6/9/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Please don't use the v1.1.0.10 of TrayHook.dll.

Use this instead. Fixed active application lose focus bug and also subsequent notification fails to display through Snarl bug.

Regards,
Sym Joy
TrayHook v1.1.0.11.7z

Jono

Jun 9, 2013, 6:47:02 AM6/9/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Does that work for both 32 and 64 bit?

Noesis

Jun 9, 2013, 7:46:03 AM6/9/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joy ! working well !!,

Jono, it contains the hook files for both 32 & 64 bit versions & an updated readme.txt, doesn't have the *.exe files not that that is a big deal just mentioning in case someone comes along who hasn't installed a prior version and can't work out how to make it work.

Jono

Jun 9, 2013, 8:38:49 AM6/9/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, thank you. All is working well now.

Jono

Jun 10, 2013, 4:34:20 AM6/10/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
It seems that the new version (1.1.0.11) is causing explorer.exe to crash everytime I try to change desktops with Dexpot. It works fine with v1.1.0.9 and doesn't crash.

Joy

Jun 10, 2013, 5:08:52 AM6/10/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I've just tested Dexpot v1.6.9 Build 2285 on Windows8 64Bit (latest updates) with TrayHook 1.1.0.11, no crash so far.

Provide some more details like whats your operating system/platform (32 or 64), Dexpot version etc.
Does it happen with notification on display?

Thanks,
Sym Joy

Jono

Jun 10, 2013, 5:16:23 AM6/10/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Specs: Dexpot 1.6.9 Build 2285, Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit (latest updates), TrayHook 1.1.0.11, Snarl R3.1 V45.1.

The steps I take are:
- Have Snarl running
- Run TrayHelper32.exe
- Everything works as normal
- Hit Windows Key + F3 - My hotkey for Window Catalog (all desktops)
- Explorer.exe stops working and restarts
- Dexpot functions as normal after this happens, TrayHelper32 does not redirect notifications to Snarl anymore though
- Kill TrayHelper32.exe process
- Repeat from beginning

It happens whether or not notifications are on display. Thanks

Noesis

Jun 10, 2013, 6:08:00 AM6/10/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I have this problem too.  Specs for me are the same as Jono's except for my Win 7 version is 64bit.

With regard to the steps Jono posted however, I don't have to kill the TrayHelper64.exe process as it kills itself.  Happens with dexpot straight away like Jono said, however I've found this same crash happens if I leave my computer idle.  The time it takes seems to be the same as Snarl going into "Away mode" as it was around 4 minutes so I tested by setting snarl to do this after 1 min and waited... sure enough crash happened after a minute instead of four (which I hadn't witnessed prior but did notice the process would stop and notifications would go back to being handled by windows).  If the computer is used though, explorer doesn't crash.

I'm including a log from event viewer that may be of help.

Thanks,
Noesis.
AppError.txt

Joy

Jun 10, 2013, 3:49:58 PM6/10/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Can you please try this one. Should fix the bug. Currently I don't have a 32Bit/64Bit Windows7 available to me  so i'm unable to do any testing.

Please post any issues or if this version works.

Best regards,
Sym Joy
TrayHook_probable_fix.zip

Joy

Jun 10, 2013, 4:45:56 PM6/10/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all, found the culprit. it's a simple null pointer bug. it's so simple i can't even imagine why it's there.

anyway,
being an injected module bug in TrayHook.dll crashed the host process (explorer.exe).

It occurs when any callback event received in TrayHook.dll. and forces the bugged code to run.

Mr. Jono and Mr. Noesis thanks for providing much useful information.

But I still don't get why Dexpot makes it crash, perhaps it sends some global event to explorer.exe which mistakenly intercepted by TrayHook.dll ...not sure yet.

Please download the attached TrayHook.dll and hopefully the Dexpot bug will not occur.

Thanks,
Sym Joy
TrayHook_bug_fixed.7z

Noesis

Jun 11, 2013, 11:01:25 AM6/11/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again Joy,

Seems to be working well, (tested a bit longer this time before posting).  And yeah btw, Dexpot sends heaps of "message" events when changing desktops, so I imagine it sends some if not all of them when querying other desktops for things like open windows etc as well.

Jono

Jun 12, 2013, 3:38:17 AM6/12/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
It's working for me as well. Thanks!

Chris

Jun 12, 2013, 3:40:11 AM6/12/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Joy

If you could put together an updated zip with all the components in it, I'll get it uploaded to sourceforge.

Chris

On 12 Jun 2013, at 08:38, Jono <swagcalv...@gmail.com> wrote:

It's working for me as well. Thanks!

Joy

Jun 12, 2013, 5:30:00 AM6/12/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Here's the updated zip with all the files from latest version.

Regards,
Sym Joy
Windows_Notification_for_Snarl_v1.1.0.11.7z

Joy

Jun 12, 2013, 5:31:51 AM6/12/13
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear that :)

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:38:17 PM UTC+6, Jono wrote:
It's working for me as well. Thanks!

Factor Mystic

Jan 16, 2014, 10:58:27 PM1/16/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
This is a pretty cool utility. Two thoughts: Firstly, is the source available anywhere? Even if it's all a hack, it'd be nice to put up in public source control just for posterity. Second: With normal Windows balloon notifications, clicking it typically focuses the app. This program doesn't appear to work like that. Can that be added?

Joy

Jan 17, 2014, 12:42:43 AM1/17/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry, source is not available yet.

Focusing the application actually depends on the balloon notification structure. Some wants it, some don't. And also windows changed witch or what receives foreground focus since windows vista. So there might be some odd situation where an apps wants it but the utility fails to give.

Can you provide more details where this happens, I mean the application and the os.

-
Joy
Message has been deleted

Joy

May 11, 2014, 4:32:09 AM5/11/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Test version for Matt Harper

Do not download or use.
Test_Version.zip

Joy

May 12, 2014, 4:02:08 AM5/12/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Updated Version: Everyone should update to this version.

Bug fixes:
1. Issue with Windows 7/Vista Start Menu is resolved.

New Feature:
1. Added checks to reload hook if shell restarts or crashes.

Minor code improvements.

Note: Hook dll size increase due to Static linked MSVCRT v120 (Compiled using VS 2013)
         (Too much work to remove complete CRT dependency and compile using VS 2013)

Windows_Notification_for_Snarl_v1.1.5.0.zip

Joy

May 12, 2014, 4:06:55 AM5/12/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Matt Harper for reporting the Windows 7 Start Menu issue.

--
Joy

Joy

May 15, 2014, 12:16:51 PM5/15/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Updated version: V1.2.0.1

+Added workaround for 'Tab' character issue with some program. Tab will be expanded to 4 spaces. (Reported by Matt Harper)
+Also added a new option to prioritize tray icon over application icon.

-Removed option to turn on/off  'Icon Cache'. Icon cache is required to support icon in Snarl history.

--
Joy
Windows_Notification_for_Snarl_v1.2.0.1.7z

Dawid Ferenczy

May 20, 2014, 9:06:24 PM5/20/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

   why isn't this version on SourceForge?

Joy

May 20, 2014, 9:12:08 PM5/20/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I don't maintain the SourceForge versions. Chris might upload it to SourceForge.

However, Did it solve your focus issues?

--
Joy

Dawid Ferenczy

May 20, 2014, 9:14:02 PM5/20/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

nice! With the 1.1.0.7 version, when Windows Notification's notification dismissed, my current application loosed focus. It seems that the 1.2.0.1 works fine. I don't know if it was fixed or of it's side effect of something else.

--
 Dawid Ferenczy

Dne čtvrtek, 15. května 2014 18:16:51 UTC+2 Joy napsal(a):
Updated version: V1.2.0.1

Dawid Ferenczy

May 20, 2014, 9:14:42 PM5/20/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Yep :) Thank you!

Joy

May 20, 2014, 9:18:43 PM5/20/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Couple posts before you might see another user was reported a focus issue. So the logic was rewritten that could've fixed the issue.

Anyway, I'm glad your problem is solved.

--
Joy

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:14:42 AM UTC+6, Dawid Ferenczy wrote:
Yep :) Thank you!

--
 Dawid Ferenczy

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:06:24 AM UTC+6, Dawid Ferenczy wrote:
Hi,

   why isn't this version on SourceForge?

Dawid Ferenczy

May 21, 2014, 12:22:29 PM5/21/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thank you for the info. I just wonder, how the notification is displayed? I thought that it's up to Snarl and your application just say "display this message" to Snarl.

Chris

May 22, 2014, 5:46:55 AM5/22/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I'll copy the latest to SourceForge.

Joy

Joy

May 22, 2014, 10:57:47 AM5/22/14
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

This image should explain how this application works. (Sorry for the low quality graphics work, it was made in a hurry)

If you need more information, post here.

--
Joy

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:22:29 PM UTC+6, Dawid Ferenczy wrote:
[...]

Robert Hopkins

Mar 31, 2015, 12:54:59 PM3/31/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I was wondering if this plugin is compatible with 4.0?  I'm really liking Snarl as a replacement for GFW - but for some reason the 4.0 beta 5 does not see that TrayHelper64.exe is running.

Chris

Mar 31, 2015, 12:57:00 PM3/31/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Robert

I'll take a look - certainly Snarl 4.0 shouldn't break this so it's likely a bug in the beta.  Thanks for the heads up!

Chris
full phat products
__________________________
Twitter: @snarlhappens

Robert Hopkins

Mar 31, 2015, 1:29:21 PM3/31/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

Awesome!   Thanks

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Snarl Discussion" group.

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 9:09:46 AM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I have been banging my head looking for a reason why this does not work - especially since it seems that i can get the application to at least register on two of the PC's in my house (but of course not my primary machine - murphy's law)

Is there a way to get a log or debug output from the plugin or from snarl?

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 10:29:05 AM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
There is a settings interface which allows to turn on debug logging, but without registering the extension with Snarl it is not possible to bring up the interface. There is another way though.

Create 2 files in the Snarl settings folder:
1. debug.enable.wn
2. debug.log.wn

These are blank files with "wn" extension. The location of the files is dependent on Snarl installation. For example, on my system (Windows 8.1 x64 Ent C:\) the location of the files are "C:\Users\#UserName#\AppData\Roaming\full phat\snarl\WindowsNotification"

The debug logs are not most detailed. I'm currently using Snarl V4.0 Beta 3 without any problem.

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 10:53:57 AM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks!

I did create the files you mentioned and  below is the output of the debug.log,  however i still do not see the registration in snarl under applications, and notifications do not appear.

Either there is still a small bug in snarl that needs to be worked out, or something is blocking communication between the two.  I will keep looking - thanks for your help!

10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 ***Windows Notification for Snarl v1.2.0.1 Logging started***
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i] Starting Windows Notification for snarl...
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Helper thread started {2544}
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Setting hook thread id {1728} instance {3708682240}
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Hook installed
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\full phat\Snarl\
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Settings path: C:\Users\Robert Hopkins\AppData\Roaming\full phat\snarl\WindowsNotification\
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Icon cache path: C:\Users\Robert Hopkins\AppData\Roaming\full phat\snarl\WindowsNotification\cache\
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Snarl icon path: C:\Program Files (x86)\full phat\Snarl\etc\icons\
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Debug output: Yes, Log: Yes
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Use application icon: No
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Overlay application icon: No
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Use tray icon: No
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Single notification style: No
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i] Registering with Snarl
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Adding class: Information
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Adding class: Warning
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Adding class: Error
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i]   ->Adding class: Other
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i] Successfully registered with Snarl
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 655454, Message: 2048, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 595718, Message: 1044, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 66956, Message: 1120, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 329286, Message: 1124, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 10:38:21 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 66988, Message: 1124, hIcon: Yes}

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 11:02:48 AM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
The debug log shows registering was successful, it's odd that Snarl doesn't show the application. The extension checks for Snarl return code to see if the registering process was successful or not.

Which Snarl version are you using?

Note: Please strip/remove personal information from debug log when posting.

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 12:18:12 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
im currently using 4.0 DR5, but the behavior is the same with beta 5.   i can get it to work with those version on 2 of the 4 pc's here - which is really weird.

all are win 7, avast antivirus (ports 5233,9887,23053 excluded from monitoring, all the directories and executables as well) - even with avast disabled it does not change the behavior.

I have several versions of the C redistributable installed through version 2013.

Sorry about the personal data, i figured since my username here and on my machine were the same, it wouldn't really matter

Chris is looking to see if Snarl has any part in it - but i want to rule out anything i'm doing

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 12:36:57 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I've just downloaded and tested Snarl v4.0 Beta 5 and it worked with out any problem.

This application uses IPC messaging to register with Snarl, Snarl will have to be installed locally.

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 12:56:01 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, i don't think there is anything wrong with your plugin, and there is probably nothing wrong with Snarl (i say probably simply because i don't necessarily know what its doing).

There must be something interfering with snarl generating the message, or interfering with the Win32 IPC communication and Snarl.

Is there a process or service that i can exclude in avast that handles the IPC?

also, Both are installed locally, and i'm also going to clean install beta 5

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 1:03:41 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
The TrayHelper.exe application loads the Hook/re-director dll in Explorer.exe (System Tray instance). The dll then initiates the registering process, which (requests) essentially coming from Explorer.exe to Snarl executable/process. After the initial job is done, TrayHelper does nothing but monitoring Explorer.exe crashes/restarts and reloads the dll.

Reading posts makes me think if there is an issue with IPC in your system, the registering process should fail. You can check that by closing Snarl and then starting TrayHelper.exe. There should be information in debug logs.

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 1:18:47 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com

ok, with Snarl closed i restarted trayhelper64.exe,  below is the log output - it just looks like the part about registering is not there.  weirdness, i also downloaded a fresh copy of beta 5 and clean installed it, still nada.

10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 ***Windows Notification for Snarl v1.2.0.1 Logging started***
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i] Starting Windows Notification for snarl...
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Helper thread started {12104}
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Setting hook thread id {1728} instance {3658416128}
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Hook installed
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\full phat\Snarl\
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Settings path: C:\Users\<Redacted:)>\AppData\Roaming\full phat\snarl\WindowsNotification\
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Icon cache path: C:\Users\<Redacted:)>\AppData\Roaming\full phat\snarl\WindowsNotification\cache\
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Snarl icon path: Not Found
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Debug output: Yes, Log: Yes
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Use application icon: No
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Overlay application icon: No
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Use tray icon: No
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i]   ->Single notification style: No
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 655454, Message: 2048, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 595718, Message: 1044, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 66956, Message: 1120, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 329286, Message: 1124, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 13:14:24 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 66988, Message: 1124, hIcon: Yes}

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 1:24:53 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
This is correct behavior, it is waiting for the Snarl to start. Try starting Snarl, it should try to register.

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 1:35:51 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
yep, and i see in the log:

10-Apr-2015 13:31:28 [i] Snarl Started...
10-Apr-2015 13:31:28 [i] Updated Snarl icons path {C:\Program Files (x86)\full phat\Snarl\etc\icons\}
10-Apr-2015 13:31:28 [i] Registering with Snarl
10-Apr-2015 13:31:28 [i]   ->Adding class: Information
10-Apr-2015 13:31:28 [i]   ->Adding class: Warning
10-Apr-2015 13:31:28 [i]   ->Adding class: Error
10-Apr-2015 13:31:28 [i]   ->Adding class: Other
10-Apr-2015 13:31:28 [i] Successfully registered with Snarl

still nothing in the snarl web interface under applications, and no notification on screen that it registered

i checked all the snarl logs too, and it shows nothing there either

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 1:43:30 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Try killing the TrayHelper.exe in TaskManager while Snarl is running, then start the TrayHelper.exe again.

I'm out of ideas sorry :-(

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 1:49:27 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
lol, no reason to apologize - you were gracious to help me chase my tail this long.

If snarl executes something at registration with the plugin, other than a response to the plugin itself - that must be what is not happening.

I'll keep looking and i'll reply here if i find anything.

Chris, do you have any idea if something is executed by snarl (beyond the reply to the plugin) that could be failing on my machine?

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 2:35:41 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
hmm, something new happened after redoenloading and restarting trayhelper64.exe:

10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i]   ->Debug output: Yes, Log: Yes
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i]   ->Use application icon: No
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i]   ->Overlay application icon: No
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i]   ->Use tray icon: No
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i]   ->Single notification style: No
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i] Registering with Snarl
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i]   ->Adding class: Information
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i]   ->Adding class: Warning
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i]   ->Adding class: Error
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i]   ->Adding class: Other
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i] Successfully registered with Snarl
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 655454, Message: 2048, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 595718, Message: 1044, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 66956, Message: 1120, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 329286, Message: 1124, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 14:26:03 [i] Added callback {hWnd: 66988, Message: 1124, hIcon: Yes}
10-Apr-2015 14:27:42 [!] OpenProcess() failed with error 5: Access is denied.

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 2:39:24 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
So i tried to generate a trayballoon with nircmd (trayballoon "Hello" "This is a test..." "shell32.dll,22" 15000)

and this is the log:

10-Apr-2015 14:36:23 [i] Redirected notification {token: 101}
10-Apr-2015 14:36:23 [i]   ->Title: Hello
10-Apr-2015 14:36:23 [i]   ->Info: This is a test...
10-Apr-2015 14:36:23 [i]   ->Form: INVALID
10-Apr-2015 14:36:38 [i] Deleted callback {hWnd: 2621512}

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 3:00:55 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the it tried to get the application details responsible for the balloon notification and also the app icon. but failed because of the requesting application is running with higher privilege than the Explorer.exe.

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 3:07:20 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I tried your exact commands with nircmd, result was a balloon notification redirected to Snarl.

here is the log file excerpt:
11-Apr-2015 01:04:46 [i] Redirected notification {token: 288}
11-Apr-2015 01:04:46 [i]   ->Title: Hello
11-Apr-2015 01:04:46 [i]   ->Info: This is a test...
11-Apr-2015 01:04:46 [i]   ->Form: nircmd.exe
11-Apr-2015 01:04:47 [i] Received notification event {34}, forwarding to {nircmd.exe}
11-Apr-2015 01:04:47 [i]   ->PostMessage: {hWnd: 2034076, Message: 1054, wParam: 0, lParam: 405}
11-Apr-2015 01:04:47 [i] Deleted callback {hWnd: 2034076}

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 3:18:06 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
super weird!

i tried again with nircmd (non elevated cmd prompt, trayhelper64.exe not running as admin) trayballoon "Hello" "This is the text that will be appear inside the balloon !" "c:\temp\icon1.ico" 10000

 and got this from the debug log:

10-Apr-2015 15:05:08 [i] Redirected notification {token: 101}
10-Apr-2015 15:05:08 [i]   ->Title: Hello
10-Apr-2015 15:05:08 [i]   ->Info: This is the text that will be appear inside the balloon !
10-Apr-2015 15:05:08 [i]   ->Form: INVALID
10-Apr-2015 15:05:18 [i] Deleted callback {hWnd: 530760}
10-Apr-2015 15:06:39 [!] OpenProcess() failed with error 5: Access is denied.

10-Apr-2015 15:06:40 [i] Redirected notification {token: 101}
10-Apr-2015 15:06:40 [i] Notification already exists.
10-Apr-2015 15:06:50 [i] Deleted callback {hWnd: 465396}
10-Apr-2015 15:07:35 [i] Redirected notification {token: 101}
10-Apr-2015 15:07:35 [i] Notification already exists.
10-Apr-2015 15:07:45 [i] Deleted callback {hWnd: 662002}
10-Apr-2015 15:07:57 [i] Redirected notification {token: 101}
10-Apr-2015 15:07:57 [i] Notification already exists.
10-Apr-2015 15:08:07 [i] Deleted callback {hWnd: 793074}

so a permissions issue somewhere on my machine?

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 3:35:02 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
And, i restarted everything making sure nothing is running with an elevated permission (nothing 'running as administrator') and thats all the same - not running as admin.

I figured out i can run snarl.exe -debug from the cmd prompt - and the debug log doe not show windows notifications registerring, but it does show the built in apps and other things registerring.

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 3:38:35 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
The application caches the Callback and related information in memory, given the permission issue it does not matter with notification. It will still be redirected to Snarl. But with out receiving any reply from Snarl it will stay in the notification queue. That will prevent from any future notification of exactly same and  from same application to be discarded (spamming).

I don't see any issue on the application part, it intercepts the balloon and redirects it to Snarl. if there is a permission issue default icons will be used. If for some reason Snarl doesn't display or fails to display the notification (Snarl sends an error) notification will be redirected to windows default handler.

At this point I think for some reason Snarl unable to update/edit some needed file/settings on your machine. Which causing this issues. Also it could mean you have an IPC interceptor or too sensitive Host Shield/Defense system enabled. Or some kind of sand boxing is occurring. Which passing some information but discarding some. Regardless the issue is specific to your machine and this specific software setup.

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 3:46:27 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
I completely killed all the avast processes and services - and now it works

so now i just need to figure out what avast was blocking.........sigh...lol

I think i have every path and file whitelisted, i may need to see if the heuristics are turned up too high - thanks for your help, and sorry about the wild goose

Joy

Apr 10, 2015, 3:58:05 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Glad to know you found the reason behind it. This sometimes happen with Security solutions. All most all modern security solution include some form of Zero Day Threat prevention system, which analyzes and blocks certain logic at runtime. My suggestion would be to include Snarl process in exclude list of such system.

Robert Hopkins

Apr 10, 2015, 4:38:02 PM4/10/15
to snarl-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks - i excluded all the executables/processes, file paths, and ports for localhost and the forwarders on the local network

I also disabled synergy because that uses IPC calls for keyboard and mouse sharing.

and for anyone who may search this group for avast - i completely disabled the service and processes - and once i was able to register and test it a few times with nircmd - it continued to work with avast enabled

I also disabled deep screen for a while, but avast re-enabled it - and its still working, so......

who knows

Artyom Romanov

Jul 27, 2015, 3:40:15 PM7/27/15
to Snarl Discussion, sym...@gmail.com
Why do the bluetooth notification stay unmodified? https://yadi.sk/i/1nikxJMmi7zvY
Is it possible to click the notification and open the program that sent it?

Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2013 19:08:56 UTC+1 schrieb Joy:
New version of Windows Notification for Snarl
A Redirection application for Snarl.

Application is attached in zip file.

No need to install C Run-time Library or .NET Framework.
Just unzip the files and place it in somewhere on your hard disk.

Please see the readme.txt for changes and detail information.

Note: If no bug is reported, this is the final version. :)

Thanks.
Sym Joy

Steve McKnelly

Nov 21, 2015, 2:36:18 AM11/21/15
to Snarl Discussion
Will this catch Windows 10 Action Center notifications and reroute them?